The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

Why? It's an introductory promotion lol Do you bitch if you didn't get the sale at the grocery store last week but your neighbor did?

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree but like I said, I've got nothing to gain. I don't work there anymore and I'm back to paying full rate at home again so :shrugs:

You're so cynical and buff. It's kind of sexy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been putting off saying this for several weeks now, but I'm facing possible redundancy. I used to think I was safe, but a new plan has been announced where a computer will do the core element of my job one day.

I really, really hope that this interview process I'm currently in works out. The office has a horrible atmosphere right now and my colleague has already taken a pay cut without his prior consultation (which is illegal). It's just getting really bad here and isn't worth my time. I want to quit, but am just waiting on either a job offer or a redundancy package, so I know where I stand.

I've been putting off saying this for several weeks now, but I'm facing possible redundancy. I used to think I was safe, but a new plan has been announced where a computer will do the core element of my job one day.

I really, really hope that this interview process I'm currently in works out. The office has a horrible atmosphere right now and my colleague has already taken a pay cut without his prior consultation (which is illegal). It's just getting really bad here and isn't worth my time. I want to quit, but am just waiting on either a job offer or a redundancy package, so I know where I stand.

Sorry about that Gracii. I hope something turns up for you soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Over the past month I've been to an interview and have been given some freelance work as a result of that, to see how I get on with the company's current staff. I've handed the work in, which they said they were happy with and the process has seemingly gone to plan.

They told me last Monday that they would be in touch with me last week with a decision on the job. They weren't.

I've been in this position before where a company has taken longer than they said they would to come back with a decision. The last time I emailed the interviewer in this situation, they responded with a 'no' answer. This obviously makes me feel very embarrassed.

Doing this makes me look impatient, but they are the ones who are being inefficient, and I'd just like to know what's going on, so I know if it's worthwhile applying for other jobs or not. To them, this is just a decision, but to the interviewee, it is their life in the potential employer's hands.

Shall I email them asking wheat'so going on? The chances are I've not got it because they've not been so quick on responding to me, so I'm setting myself up for a fall if I do.

I'm working fast food now.

Some dude at the local brewhouse told me he made $250 a day as a waiter.

Made me think. I got a college degree and made $144 a day.

So I'm thinking about waiting tables one or two days a week if I can land a spot. It will improve my social skills and provide me enough cash flow to live on my own.

I loathed college. So happy and fortune I have extended family to help me get back on my feet.

But a computer program will never have your amazing cleavage!!! So you'll always have a leg up on technology.

So I'm thinking about waiting tables one or two days a week if I can land a spot. It will improve my social skills and provide me enough cash flow to live on my own.

I loathed college. So happy and fortune I have extended family to help me get back on my feet.

The college degree - $144 thing isn't a fair comparison though.

When you were working in a job that was attached to your degree, weren't you making like $30 an hour or something?

I waited tables when I was younger. And if you have a great memory, don't get stressed out under pressure and when customers are angry, and you are "good" with people (funny, charming) then you can make 250 a day! But it is hard work. What about being a bartender? Everybody loves the bartender, you'll get laid constantly by hot chicks, and it's a way more relaxed atmosphere than being a waiter.

AND you are a great writer! Why not try something in that field. You love football and beer - go write for a sports magazine!

But a computer program will never have your amazing cleavage!!! So you'll always have a leg up on technology.

Isn't it convenient that I can design *and* bounce around the office with my huge tits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Muktitasking for the win!!!!!!!!!!!

/endsarcasm

When you were working in a job that was attached to your degree, weren't you making like $30 an hour or something?

I waited tables when I was younger. And if you have a great memory, don't get stressed out under pressure and when customers are angry, and you are "good" with people (funny, charming) then you can make 250 a day! But it is hard work. What about being a bartender? Everybody loves the bartender, you'll get laid constantly by hot chicks, and it's a way more relaxed atmosphere than being a waiter.

AND you are a great writer! Why not try something in that field. You love football and beer - go write for a sports magazine!

It's just frustrating to see the lies perpetrated by universities. College isn't worth nearly as much as it used to be.

But you know what Apollo? I suffer from anxiety and depression. Do you know how I can challenge those fears? By waiting tables.

Isn't it convenient that I can design *and* bounce around the office with my huge tits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Muktitasking for the win!!!!!!!!!!!

/endsarcasm

I was being sarcastic or joking..........but the actual point is valid.

I think there are a lot of companies (at least smaller ones) out there that would rather have a person in a job rather than a computer program.

Computerizing or automating everything takes away the human element - or human contact - and at the end of the day, we ALL need to interact with other people.

Think of automated phone systems where some computer asks you 28 questions and you have say yes/no or type in things on your keypad. Isn't it much more pleasant to get a live person on the other end?

It's just frustrating to see the lies perpetrated by universities. College isn't worth nearly as much as it used to be.

But you know what Apollo? I suffer from anxiety and depression. Do you know how I can challenge those fears? By waiting tables.

But weren't you making like $30 an hour as a 20-year-old when you were working in the field you went to college for? I bet that's more money than 90% of the people on this forum make.

What you are saying is probably true. But maybe you aren't factoring in that most people don't like their jobs, especially the first jobs they get. I didn't like most of my jobs from age 18-25....then I got a government job that was basically just data entry. But I worked hard for a few years and moved my way up into a career that I actually enjoyed. So maybe at age 30 or so, then I started ONLY working at jobs that I loved doing - because at that point I had a decade of experience to bring to the table. But at 19 years old most of us can't step right into high paying jobs in a field that we love. College or no college.

If you think waiting tables will cure your anxiety and depression......then more power to you.

I've done both, and bartending is 100 times more fun, your customers are 100 times friendlier, it's a 100 times easier, and you'll pull a new hot chick every weekend if you want. And you'll make the same amount of money - if not more.

I am chasing the almighty dollar because at this point in my life I have to do something.

lol, then go back to the highest paying field you've worked in.