The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

Interview went really well but they were interviewing people all day... and I dont know how many positions were availible and how i fit against others that applied.

Naming the CEO got me a lot of points apparently as well as basic figures about the company via wikipedia. The manager interviewing me was Ex-forces so it was easier to explain more of my past without having to "civilianise things"

Because its BT it was very corporate and it takes up to 4 weeks to get the results. So its just a waiting game now.

Edited by Axl_morris
  • Like 1

Interview went really well but they were interviewing people all day... and I dont know how many positions were availible and how i fit against others that applied.

Naming the CEO got me a lot of points apparently as well as basic figures about the company via wikipedia. The manager interviewing me was Ex-forces so it was easier to explain more of my past without having to "civilianise things"

Because its BT it was very corporate and it takes up to 4 weeks to get the results. So its just a waiting game now.

An old friend of mine got a great job working on the radios on the London underground when he left the Signals. 'bout £50k plus so maybe that could be an avenue to explore?

An old friend of mine got a great job working on the radios on the London underground when he left the Signals. 'bout £50k plus so maybe that could be an avenue to explore?

I don't live near london any more thats the problem. That is a nice figure though.

Just reading up, even the tube drivers are getting 50k. Thats insane even for a london allowance.

Edited by Axl_morris

Haven't really applied for work. I fucking hate work.

You're supposed to fuckin' hate it. It's only natural to strive to do nothing. Just look at what lions do most of the day: they laze around, and admire their kingdom. Thing is, sometimes you must eat shit. Not you specifically, but all of us, until you have enough power to eat as little shit as possible. But part of growing up imo, is understanding that sometimes you must do things that you hate to do, to gain enough power (money) so you'll have more choice in life, and you could choose not to work anymore at all, but still be a man, with his own independent life. Nevermind the other cool shit you gain from being busy 8 hours a day: you'll have less time to think, which will make you more stable.

You know, not be a loser. (I don't mean you)

Edited by Rovim

• 2 months later...

I've not applied to any jobs for months, I haven't had the time, and I do like the job I'm in. Today though, I applied to another magazine job. It's just south of Leeds, therefore halving my commute. I tick all the boxes, but know that it's all down to competition. I'd like to get it though. :)

Alright, so I've actually avoided this thread for a while due to my own (dumb) pride and zeal, but now I need some sage advice.

About 3 weeks ago I applied for a position which I am very qualified a few days after I saw the job posting. I gave 'em a follow up call, etc. did everything correct. Never heard anything - no big deal that's how it goes most of the time. But, yesterday they re-posted the same job posting in the same place. Normally I wouldn't care that much, but I'd really like to get this job, or at least an interview. So my question is, do I apply again (albeit with a slightly updated resume as I do have a current temporary job), or do I wait to see if they're gonna eventually give me a call/e-mail?

I don't know if applying a second time (with a slightly different resume) would show confidence, ambition, and seriousness; or desperateness, daftness, and impatience?

Alright, so I've actually avoided this thread for a while due to my own (dumb) pride and zeal, but now I need some sage advice.

About 3 weeks ago I applied for a position which I am very qualified a few days after I saw the job posting. I gave 'em a follow up call, etc. did everything correct. Never heard anything - no big deal that's how it goes most of the time. But, yesterday they re-posted the same job posting in the same place. Normally I wouldn't care that much, but I'd really like to get this job, or at least an interview. So my question is, do I apply again (albeit with a slightly updated resume as I do have a current temporary job), or do I wait to see if they're gonna eventually give me a call/e-mail?

I don't know if applying a second time (with a slightly different resume) would show confidence, ambition, and seriousness; or desperateness, daftness, and impatience?

That's happened to me before. I say fuck 'em. If they're going to disrespect you like that then it's not worth pursuing it.

That's happened to me before. I say fuck 'em. If they're going to disrespect you like that then it's not worth pursuing it.

Oh it's happened before to me too, but this would be a great gig, and I feel like "what do I have to lose?" by applying again. I just want to know if it's worth the effort.

EDIT: One thing I've learned from job searching: companies are most of the time going to be rude, disrespectful, and irresponsible when considering applicants, it's just the way it is. It's business, I'm not terribly offended.

Edited by OmarBradley

Oh it's happened before to me too, but this would be a great gig, and I feel like "what do I have to lose?" by applying again. I just want to know if it's worth the effort.

EDIT:One thing I've learned from job searching: companies are most of the time going to be rude, disrespectful, and irresponsible when considering applicants, it's just the way it is. It's business, I'm not terribly offended.

Once I applied twice to a job posting. It happened the same thing you are describing.

Second time, they called me.

So, go for it ;)

• Like 1

EDIT: One thing I've learned from job searching: companies are most of the time going to be rude, disrespectful, and irresponsible when considering applicants, it's just the way it is. It's business, I'm not terribly offended.

Apply again.

You've got nothing to lose by doing it and only something to gain.

If I was the hiring manager and you applied again, I'd take a second look at your application and would like your tenacity.

Apply again. You never know how many applications they reviewed the first time around. In my field, jobs are very scarce and as soon as one is posted, hundreds of applications are submitted within a few hours. Most hiring managers will decide on a cut-off point and not look at any applications that are received after that. Who knows, they may have said they were going to look at the first 100 applicants only, and you were the 105th. You've got nothing to lose by trying again.

Do you know anyone that works there? The best and easiest way to get a job you really want is through networking. Are you on Linkedin? If so, try to "friend" a recruiter at that company and send him your resume through there...or try to make contact, etc.

When I was responsible for hiring people I would get hundreds of resumes for a single position. The ones I would actually read were usually from someone that got my attention through either networking or knowing another associate.

Do you know anyone that works there? The best and easiest way to get a job you really want is through networking. Are you on Linkedin? If so, try to "friend" a recruiter at that company and send him your resume through there...or try to make contact, etc.

When I was responsible for hiring people I would get hundreds of resumes for a single position. The ones I would actually read were usually from someone that got my attention through either networking or knowing another associate.

Nope, I don't know anyone. I've tried going through a few contacts, but no one knows anyone at this particular organization. Don't have Linkedin either, I know that's basically shooting myself in the foot; I've never got it sort of out of laziness/never got around to it. Guess it's time to sign up.

Interview at 10am on Monday.

After an appalling day at work, it could be an interview cleaning a McDonald's floor with my tongue, I'd go for it.

I'd just like to use this space here to vent a little; I want to put in a formal complaint about one of my colleagues. The trouble is, this colleague is the same person we complain about colleagues to. I could go to her line manager (the big boss) but the big boss and my colleague are practically conjoined.

I've worked out that I'm more of their bitch than I ever was supposed to be. The company secretary is giving me design advice. I wouldn't mind, but what's the point of employing me if they fucking design everything for me?!

Rant over, sorry everyone. I'll get a new job one day.

Edited by Gracii Guns