Oldie But Goodie: Slash bashing 'Sympathy for the Devil'

It seems to be as simple as Izzy being gone and Axl needed someone to write with. The band had completely stalled by then with Axl and Slash being at their throats, and Axl probably hoped they could rally around making music with Paul being the the catalyst. According to Axl the rest of the band (aka Slash and Duff) did nothing to make things proceed and Slash had been gone for quite a while focusing on his own project (Snakepit). I guess it was a desperate, ill-fated and badly executed attempt from Axl. It didn't go down well with particularly Slash who were already pretty pissed at Axl; breaking the illusion of a band of brothers by dominantly inserting an outsider really pissed him off. In normal circumstances it shouldn't have, because the band had at this sage gone through some changes (Slash had grudgingly accepted the entry of Dizzy), but at this point Slash was so opposed to Axl that it broke the camel's back.

Great post.

I love it when people post logical "assumptions" rather than post just filled with their own emotional opinions.

None of us know exactly what happened. But this post is the most logical scenario.

It seems to be as simple as Izzy being gone and Axl needed someone to write with. The band had completely stalled by then with Axl and Slash being at their throats, and Axl probably hoped they could rally around making music with Paul being the the catalyst. According to Axl the rest of the band (aka Slash and Duff) did nothing to make things proceed and Slash had been gone for quite a while focusing on his own project (Snakepit). I guess it was a desperate, ill-fated and badly executed attempt from Axl. It didn't go down well with particularly Slash who were already pretty pissed at Axl; breaking the illusion of a band of brothers by dominantly inserting an outsider really pissed him off. In normal circumstances it shouldn't have, because the band had at this sage gone through some changes (Slash had grudgingly accepted the entry of Dizzy), but at this point Slash was so opposed to Axl that it broke the camel's back.

I understand..... then what was Axl supposed to do?

I think he should have started his own band and send everything else to hell..... while waiting for Slash to "cool down"....

I don't think they really need Izzy. He was great but he is king of a dime a dozen (I hope I used that expression correctly). There are many who can string together nice songs which can be lifted to a different level by the great embellishments that Axl and Slash added. It doesn't have to be Izzy. The problem is that Axl is rather finicky about who he writes with (that's why he didn't write with Gilby and why he forced Paul on Slash and Duff) - but he did write some great songs with other guys on CD, proving that he isn't entirely hopeless. Slash, unfortunately, has settled on writing songs himself, instead of just focusing on adding lead guitar to other peoples' songs to which in my opinion he is much more suited.

NB: If anything I think it is Izzy who needs those guys, because without them his songs become a bit bland. So back in the AFD lineup they were all rather important because when you took any away the whole band suffered a lot. What Steven, Duff and Izzy brought to the band was great, but even more so because in the band it was unique; but only Axl and Slash brought something to the band that was truly spectacular and wasn't replaceable.

I disagree. Listen, Izzy wrote some of GN'R most ironic - and prophetic - lyrics. Lyrics such as, ''Once there was this rock n' roll band...time went by and it will all end up in smoke'', and, ''if they knew half the real truth, what would they say?'' are some of the band's greatestt lyrics, and definitely, cannot be reproduced by a 'dime a dozen'. Izzy was one of the kind.

I love the people who refuse to accept that Axl might actually be a problem. Let's recap this guy's history:

• Been accused of beating his ex wife and former girlfriend
  • Has lost three lead guitarists (Slash, Buckethead, Finck)
  • Has gone through at least 6 managers....all of whom he claimed weren't competent in some way
  • at least two hours late to every show
  • Had his "comeback" tour cancelled by the label for refusing to show
  • Took 10+ years on an album that was finished years below and thus wasted the time, energy and career of several bandmates
  • Shows up fat and out of shape to shows
  • Has let his most important career asset, his voice, slip to the point of being embarrassing
  • Admits that he doesn't show up to rehearsals
  • Lied to fans (claimed a video for better, gave release dates, etc.)
  • Has released one album of new material in 22 years

I'm sure Slash, Izzy, Duff, Matt and company have their issues. But there is one common denominator to all of the issues....Axl Rose. He has turned into a joke. Slash isn't a joke. People still consider him an icon. Maybe his new music isn't awesome, but he isn't laughed at. Axl is a joke touring under the name of the people who he demonizes. He is a hypocrite...badmouthing the old band but happy to profit playing more than 50% of his set list (and the only songs people want to hear) on the backs of what they created.

Anyone who could seriously think that Axl is anything less than 90% at fault for the state of GNR today is kidding themselves. It started happening during the User Your Illusion era and it became intolerable. The guy can't go onstage on time. He can't show up to rehearsals. He can't put out music. He is late for everything. He can't take criticism or accountability so he surrounds himself with sycophants; housekeepers and fans are now his inner circle because anyone who actually objectively gives him any feedback is considered an enemy. Anything that goes wrong with Guns N Roses is everyone else's fault, even though Axl has put himself in complete control of everything Guns N Roses.

This band is at the end. It is a complete tragedy and one of the greatest wastes of potential in our lifetime....these guys could have been the Rolling Stones of a generation, but Axl's narcissism became too much to control and has turned this into basically a touring cover band. That's all they are...nothing more. The reason the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame didn't want the new band at the ceremony is because they don't belong at the ceremony. That would be if Michael Jordan wanted the Washington Wizards to go in the hall of fame wth him along with the Chicago Bulls...just stupid.

Now there is some goofball with a top hat doing a bad Slash imitation who has never written a good song in his life on stage with a bunch of patsies taking money to pretend to be a band that they are not. Axl is obese, out of shape and a shadow of his former self. He gets out to South America every two years to pay the bills and now has found a home in Vegas with Carrottop and other B artists and sideshow curiosities.

The handful of people who come on this board to unconditionally back Axl in many cases weren't even alive to witness GNR in their prime and have not watched this evolve. Those who have seem to be hanging onto something that doesn't exist anymore...."what I thought was true before were lies I couldn't see......" The lyrics are true. It sucks because a lot of time and energy has been wasted hoping Axl would deliver but he will not. He is an extremely flawed individual whose ego overshadows his incredible talent and he is too stubborn to get out of his own way.

Edited by dude69
  • Like 3

I love the people who refuse to accept that Axl might actually be a problem. Let's recap this guy's history:

• Has gone through at least 6 managers....all of whom he claimed weren't competent in some way
  • Took 10+ years on an album that was finished years below and thus wasted the time, energy and career of several bandmates
  • Has let his most important career asset, his voice, slip to the point of being embarrassing

I'm sure Slash, Izzy, Duff, Matt and company have their issues. But there is one common denominator to all of the issues....Axl Rose. He has turned into a joke. Slash isn't a joke. People still consider him an icon. Maybe his new music isn't awesome, but he isn't laughed at. Axl is a joke touring under the name of the people who he demonizes. He is a hypocrite...badmouthing the old band but happy to profit playing more than 50% of his set list (and the only songs people want to hear) on the backs of what they created.

Anyone who could seriously think that Axl is anything less than 90% at fault for the state of GNR today is kidding themselves. It started happening during the User Your Illusion era and it became intolerable. The guy can't go onstage on time. He can't show up to rehearsals. He can't put out music. He is late for everything. He can't take criticism or accountability so he surrounds himself with sycophants; housekeepers and fans are now his inner circle because anyone who actually objectively gives him any feedback is considered an enemy. Anything that goes wrong with Guns N Roses is everyone else's fault, even though Axl has put himself in complete control of everything Guns N Roses.

This band is at the end. It is a complete tragedy and one of the greatest wastes of potential in our lifetime....these guys could have been the Rolling Stones of a generation, but Axl's narcissism became too much to control and has turned this into basically a touring cover band. That's all they are...nothing more. The reason the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame didn't want the new band at the ceremony is because they don't belong at the ceremony. That would be if Michael Jordan wanted the Washington Wizards to go in the hall of fame wth him along with the Chicago Bulls...just stupid.

Now there is some goofball with a top hat doing a bad Slash imitation who has never written a good song in his life on stage with a bunch of patsies taking money to pretend to be a band that they are not. Axl is obese, out of shape and a shadow of his former self. He gets out to South America every two years to pay the bills and now has found a home in Vegas with Carrottop and other B artists and sideshow curiosities.

The handful of people who come on this board to unconditionally back Axl in many cases weren't even alive to witness GNR in their prime and have not watched this evolve. Those who have seem to be hanging onto something that doesn't exist anymore...."what I thought was true before were lies I couldn't see......" The lyrics are true. It sucks because a lot of time and energy has been wasted hoping Axl would deliver but he will not. He is an extremely flawed individual whose ego overshadows his incredible talent and he is too stubborn to get out of his own way.

whoah :(

sad to admit it but it is all true..... and you forgot the fans he stigmatized out in public, just because they point out some flaws that were killing GN'R.

Thing is... if Axl is sick in the head, then he shouldnt be doing any of this. Should be retired going through some treatment......

I dont know for how long this act will stay together. The Vegas thing and Southamerican tours will be worn out too. Not like people there are retarded and will keep going to see the same show over and over for a decade.

I feel it's coming to and end where he either delivers a new album or breaks the band and bye bye.

I understand..... then what was Axl supposed to do?

I think he should have started his own band and send everything else to hell..... while waiting for Slash to "cool down"....

That might very well have been a solution, but personally I think at that time that there was almost no way they could reconcile; there was so much bitterness and at the heart of it lay musical differences with Axl wanting to broaden out while Slash wanted to continue making hard rock songs. I simply don't think there was a way out of it than splitting. Slash had basically already done that by focusing on Snakepit for a few years and giving up on Axl and GN'R (something he would do again later with VR).

As for what Axl could have done. He could have started attending rehearsals and hang out with the guys to make the band a cameraderie again. He could have become more diplomatic in how he managed the band so as not to alienate the others. He could have compromised in regards to the musical way forward. But most of all I think they should have brought Izzy back in as a songwriter at least (and not a touring member). I think Izzy could be comfortable in that role (since he wouldn't have to deal with the touring crap and the drugs). It would sort of "bring the band back" and make it more eligible to Slash and Axl would know they had a capable songsmith that he could relate to, a friend, and someone who Axl could make great songs with.

I love the people who refuse to accept that Axl might actually be a problem.

Is anyone doing that?

• Like 1

the best thing they could have done, is take a break go make whatever music they wanted to in whatever style they wanted to, and then came back and sat down and try to write the best gnr album possible. instead i think the bitterness got the best of slash and axl, both being rockstars have massive ego's and neither side backed down and neither one tried to be the bigger man and the bitterness got the best of them and it all blew up.

the best thing they could have done, is take a break go make whatever music they wanted to in whatever style they wanted to, and then came back and sat down and try to write the best gnr album possible. instead i think the bitterness got the best of slash and axl, both being rockstars have massive ego's and neither side backed down and neither one tried to be the bigger man and the bitterness got the best of them and it all blew up.

Yeah, slash did just that. He left and didn't talk to Axl for a few years. But when he back back the animosity between him an Axl was still there, they were still angry at each other and couldn't agree on the path forward. Even if Axl had made a solo record it doesn't mean he would be willing to compromise in regards to the musical direction of GN'R. People tend to assume that if he had only "got those songs off his chest he could return to making the songs Slash wanted to make," but I don't know if that assumption holds true. Axl wanted GN'R to develop in certain ways, and releasing a solo record might not have altered that in any way. We don't know what could or should have happened, but my personal opinion is that the rifts in the band that had been slowly opening since the 80s were beyond fixing. Paul was just the catalyst for brining on the inevitable.

Edited by SoulMonster

Axl's the Marlon Brando of hard rock.

• 1 year later...

Axl's the Marlon Brando of hard rock.

*puts on a white coat, puts his hand over Dalshies mouth and drags him away to a secluded compound on a Polynesian Island for 're-education'*

Slash acted like a asshole. That's what broke Guns N' Roses. The tell telling to the media and alienating the fanbase and using them like sheep, not to mention being strung out and a liability. Duff & Sorum newly sober didn't want to be anywhere near Guns, in case of a relapse. Maybe Axl shouldn't have overlayed Huge's guitar part but why make such a fuss about it and act like a diva. Do you play the nostalgia act when you release books that feature 90% Guns N' Roses based text? Slash & Duff getting there version & opinion to the masses once again.

Slash acted like a asshole. That's what broke Guns N' Roses. The tell telling to the media and alienating the fanbase and using them like sheep, not to mention being strung out and a liability. Duff & Sorum newly sober didn't want to be anywhere near Guns, in case of a relapse. Maybe Axl shouldn't have overlayed Huge's guitar part but why make such a fuss about it and act like a diva. Do you play the nostalgia act when you release books that feature 90% Guns N' Roses based text? Slash & Duff getting there version & opinion to the masses once again.

And once again a post full of shit.

Oh, it's just you wkuk!

Okay okay you buy the versions of Duff & Slash, the quitters. And just blame Axl, like sheep. Huge contributed more to Guns post 96 than Slash & Duff did, all it became for those two was yearly royalties and business opportunities since they were still Axl's business partners. It's all the fans? Bullshit.

Why the fuck would you not be annoyed in you're a guitarist, the lead guitarist, in a band, a band that was the biggest or one of the biggest in the world at that time, and pretty respected in guitar circles at the time, of course you'd be narked off if some ginger twat went 'oi Slash, i know how you're like, the creator of all the good lead guitar work that made us famous and iconic and all that right, but i got this mate from school right, and...' that conversations never gonna go well :lol:

I mean can you imagine Robert Plant having the presumptuousness to do that to Jimmy Page like 'Jim, loving the solos mate...but can my cousin have a go, he's amazing, honest!' Fuck off :lol: And without his asking, thats taking the fuckin' piss really, massive massive massive massive liberty. If i was Slash i would've gone alright fine, gone down the pub and got some pisshead out of there and done a kareoke on Axls vocals without telling him :lol:

Slash acted like a asshole. That's what broke Guns N' Roses. The tell telling to the media and alienating the fanbase and using them like sheep

Right and since Slash has no longer been a part of the band look at ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the information the fanbase has been getting, see how well informed you are now that awful awful Slash is no longer muddying the waters. Well deduced Sherlock, have yourself a biscuit :lol: If I recall the extent of information the fans have gotten since Slash has been gone has been two telly interviews and a couple of visits to an internet forum, 2 of which resulted in Axl and/or members of the band ending up in a slanging with fans.

Axl Rose: PR Guru :lol:

not to mention being strung out and a liability.

It's 2015, no one says strung out anymore. Did you learn that phrase through common use or did you copy it off the telly? :lol:

Maybe Axl shouldn't have overlayed Huge's guitar part but why make such a fuss about it and act like a diva.

Because as an artist, your work is the last straw.

Slash & Duff getting there version & opinion to the masses once again.

While Axl is gagged by uh...contractual entanglements and perfectionism and uh...stuff he can't tell you because it would jeopardise other stuff which he can't tell you.

Also, the masses is a misnomer, no masses give a flying fuck about GnR, the eyes on the world ain't on this, try 'contingent of a few thousand spread across a planet with a population of billions that gives a flying fuck about 30 year old fuckeries between some washed up old band of LA queens'.

• Like 2