Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

3 hours ago, J Dog said:

Yeah you nailed it. I think it would have been well received if Death Row had still been together.

Oh shit son, both are classic soundtracks. Lets's see...on Murder my favs are Natural Born Killaz (great Dre/Cube collabo) and What Wuld U Do?, and Dj Quik's Dollars & Sense, which for my money, is one of the best diss tracks of all time. 

Above the Rim is boss though. That OFTB song, crack em! let me at em! is nice. And that, I rock rough and stuff with my Afro Puffs (Rage!) rock on wit yo bad self. And it has imo maybe the most overlooked Pac song ever....Pain. 

I enjoy Murder Was the Case over Above the Rim personally,

Natural Born Killaz, What Would U Do?, Come When I Call, U Better Recognize & Dollars and Sense 

6 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I think it's fair to say that the Unplugged of "All Apologies" is one of the most tragic and beautiful recordings ever put to tape. 

Pet Sounds is so good. 

When someone is drowning and hes coming out of the water at the last second and hes taking the first breath his eyes are wide fucking open. You can See this on the unplugged at different songs (Pennyroyal Tea, All Apologies, Where did you sleep last night).

Eminem.

MMLP

The Eminem Show

Relapse

SSLP

Recovery

Encore

MMLP 2

(Not the order I listened to them, but actually how I'd rate them)

Been listening to Eminem constantly since saturday, I've had Relapse on about 4 times - I can't get enough of it and can't believe it seems to be considered a "bad" album, or wasn't well received. His flow on that album's just unreal. The rhythm in his words and the timing and everything's just fuckin' amazing. And it's hilarious, and so full of confidence at times, and reminds me of his early stuff. 

I still can't get into MMLP2 :( I've tried so many times, but I literally can't get through it without skipping a good few tracks.

Crackin' out Infinite in the car tomorrow. Been a while :) It's been so long I can't even remember what I thought of it really. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

On 10 June 2016 at 6:59 PM, JeanGenie said:

MTV Unplugged in New York - Nirvana 

Great album. But the high number of covers and general choice of songs shows that Kurt could not be arsed. He was basicly on his way out by then.

I wouldn't say that. Why do you think that? 

19 hours ago, MrShankly said:

I wouldn't say that. Why do you think that? 

First of all the setting was designed as a funeral. I know Kurt said he wasnt sucidal but frankly he talked a lot of bullshit. If it smells like shit and tastes like shit... well.

The way he performed as I described earlier in this thread makes me feel like he was very unhappy. I mean its easy to say afterwards but if you look in his eyes in certain moments of this performance you see what I mean.  After the show Kurt signed some stuff from the ordiance. From the reaction of the folks you could he was cracking jokes. But the moment he turned around you could see he wasnt smiling. He didnt give a fuck. Its just small things but Im convinced subconciously he had put his life behind himself.

On 10 June 2016 at 1:59 AM, JeanGenie said:

MTV Unplugged in New York - Nirvana 

Great album. But the high number of covers and general choice of songs shows that Kurt could not be arsed. He was basicly on his way out by then.

In Heavier than Heaven right after that show in the lift down with his publicist, she said his quote was "I was good wasn't I?"

I think it was him signing off though. And Where did u sleep last night was aimed at Courtney. 

Basicly in that book he was totally isolated living with unknown junkies somewhere. Wouldn't tour or play Lolapoloza, hiding from Courtney and his band. After the Rome ovrdose I think he was pretty broken. I don't think he saw much hope for himself. The damage very done pretty much. 

• Like 2

Don't Say No by Billy Squier...kindve a guilty pleasure of mine

i remember watching Billy Madison as a kid and thought the scene when he pulled up in the Trans Am bumping The Stroke was so cool haha. they laughed at him in the movie, but i fail to see how anybody could laugh at a cool ass entrance like that.

Edited by -W.A.R-

18 hours ago, JeanGenie said:

First of all the setting was designed as a funeral. I know Kurt said he wasnt sucidal but frankly he talked a lot of bullshit. If it smells like shit and tastes like shit... well.

The way he performed as I described earlier in this thread makes me feel like he was very unhappy. I mean its easy to say afterwards but if you look in his eyes in certain moments of this performance you see what I mean.  After the show Kurt signed some stuff from the ordiance. From the reaction of the folks you could he was cracking jokes. But the moment he turned around you could see he wasnt smiling. He didnt give a fuck. Its just small things but Im convinced subconciously he had put his life behind himself.

Oh, you meant as in signing off from life, basically? I thought you meant, he couldnt be arsed and was on his way out creatively, which is what I wasn't sure about.

As for his setlist, I love Kurt's song choice for that gig. I mean, if I was a fan before the show and I seen the upcoming setlist I'd probably be like "what?" But when I watch it now i feel like I'm getting more insight into Kurt. It's what he wanted and not everyone else, and he does those songs beautifully, and I feel that he probably struggled to find Nirvana songs that translated well acoustically, at least for him in his mind. I can think of a few but Kurt must've had a different view. During that show someone requests Rape Me, and I can't remember what he says but he basically goes "what? On an acoustic?!", whereas me n my friends have played that acoustically so many times and it seems to work pretty good and I would've loved a Kurt version. So maybe he struggled with that, i dunno. Either way, it's cool wit me :) Thank god that show exists. 

It's definitely interesting what you've been saying, but whenever I see Kurt do something a bit "out there", or behave and express himself in sort of unusual ways at unusual moments, I always just think thats Kurt being Kurt - Sort of messing about and experimenting with reality and people's reactions, keeping people guessing. Playing games in his mind and almost sort of checking himself or catching himself out at times. But he obviously did go through bouts of suicidal episodes or that, so maybe you're onto something.

Remember Kurt wanted to call Nevermind "Sheep". Courtney called him s people pleasing narcissist. There's definitely an element of Kurt just playing the game  but he also wants it on his terms and to win. In a way that's where I see suicide as the answer. I think he boxed himself in. He didn't seem able to just say fuck it. Every rock survivor could send himself up but Kurt he went out totally contradictory self righteous. 

0-0. Italy in they comfort zone yo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrShankly said:

Oh, you meant as in signing off from life, basically? I thought you meant, he couldnt be arsed and was on his way out creatively, which is what I wasn't sure about.

As for his setlist, I love Kurt's song choice for that gig. I mean, if I was a fan before the show and I seen the upcoming setlist I'd probably be like "what?" But when I watch it now i feel like I'm getting more insight into Kurt. It's what he wanted and not everyone else, and he does those songs beautifully, and I feel that he probably struggled to find Nirvana songs that translated well acoustically, at least for him in his mind. I can think of a few but Kurt must've had a different view. During that show someone requests Rape Me, and I can't remember what he says but he basically goes "what? On an acoustic?!", whereas me n my friends have played that acoustically so many times and it seems to work pretty good and I would've loved a Kurt version. So maybe he struggled with that, i dunno. Either way, it's cool wit me :) Thank god that show exists. 

It's definitely interesting what you've been saying, but whenever I see Kurt do something a bit "out there", or behave and express himself in sort of unusual ways at unusual moments, I always just think thats Kurt being Kurt - Sort of messing about and experimenting with reality and people's reactions, keeping people guessing. Playing games in his mind and almost sort of checking himself or catching himself out at times. But he obviously did go through bouts of suicidal episodes or that, so maybe you're onto something.

The setlist contained most songs from the in utero tour. Because Kurt didnt want to work on his material to make it fit an acoustic set. Normally bands start to prepare weeks in advance. Nirvana rehearsed the night before the show. They didnt play this set to make in artistic statement. They took the easiest way and played songs they perfected on tour. They played no encore because they had no songs. Dont get me wrong I love the record and Kurt delivered a great performance. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Remember Kurt wanted to call Nevermind "Sheep". Courtney called him s people pleasing narcissist. There's definitely an element of Kurt just playing the game  but he also wants it on his terms and to win. In a way that's where I see suicide as the answer. I think he boxed himself in. He didn't seem able to just say fuck it. Every rock survivor could send himself up but Kurt he went out totally contradictory self righteous. 

0-0. Italy in they comfort zone yo. 

Kurt was a symbol for the individual in all of us. Something to identify with inside yourself despite it all out there. He had the Lennon role.

I don't know if suicide is the only answer though. Being a human comes with a certain predicament for some so I can't say certainly what anyone should do. I think he realized what the game was, and realized the societal trap which is to basically use up the individual and spit them out to promote the society. This isn't just for musicians but everyone really. The whole game of society is to promote itself for the future. It's built on insurance. It's why so many individual problems exist because the individual wants to feel stable and present but finds itself in a basically unstable situation and stockpiles everything for the future. That's why the Kurt's of the world are "artistic" because they aren't playing the society game anymore. They've checked out because they saw it for what it was, a game.

But is checking out the solution?

Because checking out through suicide might mean your intellectual mind had enough. You couldn't take it or think about it anymore and you didn't know the way out so you did the final act. But I still see this as thinking too much creating your problem. Like a spider trapped by its own web. It's like the Buddha saying to touch the earth. Or Christ saying to be of the world but not in it. Don't get so lost in your thoughts and forget where you are.

When you think about something, you objectify it. That includes yourself and that is really the ultimate alienation when you make yourself a concept of thought vs. staying with just where you are. Things don't get as heavy that way.

Someone who once lost their body said instead of trying to pass the test, you incarnated in a body, why don't you take the curriculum while you're here? 

There is something freeing to the individual about a character like Kurt. He was a symbol that provided hope or stability for the individual to connect with. So when someone like that takes the shotgun way out it's hard. I really think he was just a vehicle for spreading the ultimate message which is you are everything you've ever wanted. Don't be afraid to be you. And I think he knew that but the game is so big that maybe his way is the only way to ease the predicament.

9 hours ago, Sprite said:

Kurt was a symbol for the individual in all of us. Something to identify with inside yourself despite it all out there. He had the Lennon role.

I don't know if suicide is the only answer though. Being a human comes with a certain predicament for some so I can't say certainly what anyone should do. I think he realized what the game was, and realized the societal trap which is to basically use up the individual and spit them out to promote the society. This isn't just for musicians but everyone really. The whole game of society is to promote itself for the future. It's built on insurance. It's why so many individual problems exist because the individual wants to feel stable and present but finds itself in a basically unstable situation and stockpiles everything for the future. That's why the Kurt's of the world are "artistic" because they aren't playing the society game anymore. They've checked out because they saw it for what it was, a game.

But is checking out the solution?

Because checking out through suicide might mean your intellectual mind had enough. You couldn't take it or think about it anymore and you didn't know the way out so you did the final act. But I still see this as thinking too much creating your problem. Like a spider trapped by its own web. It's like the Buddha saying to touch the earth. Or Christ saying to be of the world but not in it. Don't get so lost in your thoughts and forget where you are.

When you think about something, you objectify it. That includes yourself and that is really the ultimate alienation when you make yourself a concept of thought vs. staying with just where you are. Things don't get as heavy that way.

Someone who once lost their body said instead of trying to pass the test, you incarnated in a body, why don't you take the curriculum while you're here? 

There is something freeing to the individual about a character like Kurt. He was a symbol that provided hope or stability for the individual to connect with. So when someone like that takes the shotgun way out it's hard. I really think he was just a vehicle for spreading the ultimate message which is you are everything you've ever wanted. Don't be afraid to be you. And I think he knew that but the game is so big that maybe his way is the only way to ease the predicament.

I don't think that's why he did that. Being an artist wasn't isn't a big thing to him. To have a broken up or fragmented sense of self is almost a prerequisite to being an artist. You create to put "your" SELF back together. It can be a sustained act or pose, sometimes even of authenticity, like Dylan. 

I see the suicide or death as more of a human thing. The addiction took away his need to put his soul back together. But being rewarded for faking it for the sheep is in the end the killer. He wasn't happy about this cynicism, he didn't have the rock romanticism of Courtney. For Kurt life was joyless. And for others to herald him made it worse, isolating him further in addiction. Not all junkies can't put the world together in a meaningful way. And if as an artist your thing is kind of the break up of reality or the status quo then the drug can become the only thing that settles your mind. Courtney, the industry, family, all this was never going to change. He knew everything was fake because he made it. I think it wore him down physically and psychologically to that point. But he won the game. 

• Like 1