Kushner: "Replacing Weiland Is 'A Hugely Arduous Task'

"I think it's one of those things that no one wants to close the door on it, but I also agree that replacing Scott is a hugely arduous task for anybody," he said. "I don't know if we actively look all at the same time.

Everyone has stuff going on: Matt has his solo record and is involved in a lot of different things, Slash obviously has his solo thing, Duff has other bands like Loaded and Walking Papers, I've been doing a lot of work as a composer and doing my other project Pusher Jones. We all have kids and busy lives, so it just depends on, for a lack of a better term, when the stars align and we all start a conversation for some reason. Because we're always playing together in some different iteration… Unfortunately so far it has not been a unanimous decision on whoever gets thrown in a hat [as a potential replacement for Scott].

But there's always someone. Someone has a friend that says, 'Yeah I know this guy that might be right.' Or some producer or record industry person or A&R guy says: 'Hey, you guys still looking for a singer?' And maybe we'll hear something that piques everyone's interest. Now with the Internet, it's so easy to just obviously send MP3s and say: 'Hey check out this guy, here's his site, here's what he looks like, here's what he sounds like.'

We get to move forward that way without having to get too physically or emotionally involved. It's like a dating service, you can look at the pictures online and talk to the people online, and see an interview with them, before you even set up a date with them. That's what the Internet affords you for trying out singers."

heres the full article:

http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=48115

It's gonna be even harder to find a frontman for VR this time around. Personally, I'd like them to have another go at it. The Slash/Duff/Kushner/Matt chemistry can create a great record with the right singer.

Scott held them back, they need to somehow find someone that will help them keep the VR sound, but take it in a heavier direction. Sucker Train Blues and Slither hinted at that, but with heavier choruses that won't let the riffs take a back sit to the vocal melody. (not specifically in these 2 songs, but generally speaking in most VR songs)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

It's gonna be even harder to find a frontman for VR this time around. Personally, I'd like them to have another go at it. The Slash/Duff/Kushner/Matt chemistry can create a great record with the right singer.

Scott held them back, they need to somehow find someone that will help them keep the VR sound, but take it in a heavier direction. Sucker Train Blues and Slither hinted at that, but with heavier choruses that won't let the riffs take a back sit to the vocal melody. (not specifically in these 2 songs, but generally speaking in most VR songs)

I love Contraband but the ironic thing is it was not the first thing they sent to Scott to consider...... According to Scott's Biography, and interviews with Slash, they sent Scott a disc of demos and he rejected them as being too much like "Bad Company" type rock. I never thought Scott was right for that band. Much like Axl and Slash not being on the same page when things fell apart I don't think Scott was ever on the same page musically with the rest of the band and Contraband was a compromise to get Scott into the band

Once he had a lot of input into the music we ended up with Libertad, which I happen to like, but it does not sound like Slash/ Duff kind of music........... :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

I think they should try to find a new singer that's totally unknown. Give some hungry guy a real chance to be in a successful band.

I think getting someone already famous and has another band will cause more friction again.

If you get a younger unknown singer he will do his best as a singer and be grateful for the chance.

Most rock singers have huge egos and with Slash and Duff in the band it's going to cause problems. Scott did and Duff try to help him with his addiction too.

• Like 1

I think they should try to find a new singer that's totally unknown. Give some hungry guy a real chance to be in a successful band.

I think getting someone already famous and has another band will cause more friction again.

If you get a younger unknown singer he will do his best as a singer and be grateful for the chance.

Most rock singers have huge egos and with Slash and Duff in the band it's going to cause problems. Scott did and Duff try to help him with his addiction too.

I agree. Slash/Duff/Matt are enough of a name draw that they could hold up an unknown singer. Getting someone totally new, that doesn't have any past band baggage, might really be a great move, and there are a lot of talented singers out that there nobody knows about.

• Like 1

Listened to Contraband beginning to end for the 1st time in many years while working out the other day. That album has aged really well and just has a great flow throughout with killer rockers and ballads. They got Scott at the perfect time as he was still bat-shit crazy from the drugs(lyrics on CB insane), but coming out on the others side with Duff helping him and his family healing. The band seemed so hungry to prove they still got it on the CB tour, those shows had amazing energy. Even the so-called filler tracks like Big Machine and Superhuman kicked so much ass. Go back and give it a full listen.

After all the infighting and substance issues post-CB tour, it was a miracle they got into the studio to throw together another album. I still wonder what the follow up record would've been like if they'd taken more time off to get their shit together while waiting for Rubin to produce, but they never woulda made it. Either they cranked out Libertad or they probably never woulda made another record together. I remember seeing several Libertad shows and how noticeable it was that things had fallen off. In Chicago, AIC opened for them and it was the exact opposite with AIC so hungry to prove themselves as a band again with DuVall and VR just getting through a show. Competent but completely missing the edge they had earlier. Scott was headed back to bat-shit crazy land but this time headed fast in the wrong direction.

But the Contraband period was 1 of my fav musical periods ever. Had mostly stopped following the GNR guys after the 1st Snakepit album and didn't have any big expectations for VR given the usual Supergroup suckiness. But hearing Slither on my computer for the 1st time and that solo, that was like a fuckin' revival. GNR getting so big, so fast was just an awesome rocket ride as a fan, but with VR and Contraband's success, you really didn't take it for granted and enjoyed the hell out of every moment. Hard to believe CB's release was 10 years ago this weekend. :o

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I have not been into Guns as much as I was a few years ago when I posted all the magazine articles but I seem to remember reading Izzy wanted to be part of VR in the beginning if he could do the vocals and if they did not hire lead singer and he wanted to play small venues.........he disappeared once he realized this was not going to happen and they hired Scott.....

Yeah, I just mean I liked Ghost, but having Izzy sing on a Slash album for just one song on top of writing it or parts of it like Ghost could be cool. Do it with Duff and Steven too.

I understand as I would love to see Izzy work with the VR boys and sing on some songs..As he said in his 2001 Classic Rock interview he, Duff and Slash could write an old Guns type album in a week...would love to see that happen with Izzy signing some of the songs........

• Like 1

I will never understand why, with the scars of their years with Axl still fresh, Slash and Duff hired a narcissistic diva lead singer who doesn't play an instrument and has a crippling drug addiction. (Lead singers who also play an instrument -- on a regular basis, not just to be cool -- might not be as toxic as the non-instrument playing lead singers.)