A more coherent Greatest Hits

guns-n-roses-reunion.jpg

Next week will buy the Greatest Hits, the only original GNR cd that i don't have.

In my opinion, miss "Estranged", and eventually "Nightrain".
I do not like "Since I Do not Have You", or the version of "Sympathy for the Devil", so to me are unnecessary in the collection.

gnr2.jpg

And in your opinion, what would be a better "Greatest Hits"?

Probably something like this:

Welcome to the Jungle

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

Paradise City

Sweet Child O' Mine

Used to Love Her

Patience

November Rain

Don't Cry

Live and Let Die

Civil War

Knockin' on Heaven's Door

You Could Be Mine

Since I Don't Have You

Sympathy for the Devil

Better

Probably something like this:

Welcome to the Jungle

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

Paradise City

Sweet Child O' Mine

Used to Love Her

Patience

November Rain

Don't Cry

Live and Let Die

Civil War

Knockin' on Heaven's Door

You Could Be Mine

Since I Don't Have You

Sympathy for the Devil

Better

Can't argue much with this one. A few album classics from AFD were ignored, and UYI had too many hits to be able to comb through and grab fan favorites. Can't just ignore TSI and CD, and fans need somewhere to get Sympathy for the Devil. I'd throw in estranged and yesterday's (though I'm not sure if that would make a cd over 80 minutes) and this would be mine.

Best of is a different story, but greatest hits, this would qualify.

Edited by TeeJay410

Welcome To The Jungle

Mr. Brownstone

Sweet Child O' Mine

Paradise City

Patience

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Civil War

You Could Be Mine

Don't Cry

Live And Let Die

November Rain

Yesterdays

Estranged

Since I Don't Have You

That's the playlist I have on my iPod. Under 80 minutes, fits on one CD.

• Like 1

Jungle

Brownstone

Sweet child

Ycbm

Don't cry

Better

Estranged

Twat

Easy

Civil war/ptu

Locomotive

November rain

Night train

Patience

PC

Too many awesome songs in gnrs catalogue to even try but I'm bored so here's 15 I think would be cool on a best of record.. And I'm still leaving out so many :(

Jungle
Easy
Brownstone

RQ

SCOM
Nighttrain
Paradise
Estranged
NR
Don't Cry
YCBM
Civil War
Patience

Those are the most well known and the biggest hits if you don't count covers. Some of my favs like, 14years, TWAT, Better can't be called greatest hits. Chinese Democracy would be next if I had to add a song.

I personally think Sympathy For The Devil is a great track and ends the album nicely. It wasn't on any other album so I guess for fans from the 80's/90's it was a nice little treat in a way :)

I think the package that is available is perfect, in that, it gives you what the title says..."Greatest HITS". Putting stuff like "Locomotive", "So Fine", etc, on a greatest "hits" just doesn't make sense, in my opinion. Now if it was a 2 disc "Anthology" or something, then now you're talking!

Ironically, half of their hits on the GH package just happened to be cover songs, haha.

Does anyone have the track listing for the 2 disc Best-of / Anthology that was supposed to come out around 2006 or so? It had the logo with the chinese G&R but the old pistol and roses logo (as seen on 2006 era shirts, etc). That had a killer track list if I remember correctly

• Like 2

GNR don't really need a greatest hits. Just buy AFD and November Rain/YCBM and you're set.

How many other artists/bands have a greatest hits compiling just three albums? Seems a bit pointless to me.

Edited by Towelie

A Greatest Hits should be songs that charted in the top 40 and the edited down single versions. If they want to do a collection/anthology where they're pulling together live and rare versions, that's a whole other matter. Jeff Buckley had a compilation but they didn't call it a "Greatest Hits" because he only had one single that charted and one album released while he was alive. AC/DC have never had a greatest hits even though it probably would do well if they released it.

• Like 1

The Greatest Hits albums sucks. Too many covers!

Actually, I don't think a band with only 3 proper albums of original material needs a greatest hits release.

Agreed. "Sympathy for the Devil" was far from a hit. It was played on hardcore rock stations for a couple of weeks but never caught on....mainly because it was a completely uneccessary cover of a song that should never have been touched.

In my opinion GNR messed up on the Illusions by picking the wrong songs for singles. "The Garden" and "Garden of Eden" were poor choices...."Dead Horse" was questionable as well.

They missed an opportunity with "Civil War." They put it on an obscure album before the Illusions came out and never released it as a single. Personally I think it would have been the biggest hit on the album.

The other miss in my opinion was not releasing "Pretty Tied Up" as a single. That was a song that went largely unheard, but people who heard it loved it....I thought it was a very video friendly/radio friendly song.

In my opinion the singles off of the Illusions should have been:

Civil War

You Could Be Mine (was a single)

Don't Cry (was a single)

Live and Let Die (was a single)

Pretty Tied Up

November Rain (was a single)

Estranged (was a single)

Spaghetti Incident was also really a pretty big miss....only hardcore fans bought it and nothing was really a "hit"....a lot of people saw "Since I Don't Have You" as a sell out and most people were saturated with GNR in 1993 (as hard as that is to believe now).

They should have taken a break and returned in 1996 or 1997 with a back to their roots rock album the way Metallica returned with Load. Instead of course they imploded and we are left with the joke that is GNR today.

Edited by dude69
  • Like 1

The Greatest Hits albums sucks. Too many covers!

Actually, I don't think a band with only 3 proper albums of original material needs a greatest hits release.

Agreed. "Sympathy for the Devil" was far from a hit. It was played on hardcore rock stations for a couple of weeks but never caught on....mainly because it was a completely uneccessary cover of a song that should never have been touched.

In my opinion GNR messed up on the Illusions by picking the wrong songs for singles. "The Garden" and "Garden of Eden" were poor choices...."Dead Horse" was questionable as well.

They missed an opportunity with "Civil War." They put it on an obscure album before the Illusions came out and never released it as a single. Personally I think it would have been the biggest hit on the album.

The other miss in my opinion was not releasing "Pretty Tied Up" as a single. That was a song that went largely unheard, but people who heard it loved it....I thought it was a very video friendly/radio friendly song.

In my opinion the singles off of the Illusions should have been:

Civil War

You Could Be Mine (was a single)

Don't Cry (was a single)

Live and Let Die (was a single)

Pretty Tied Up

November Rain (was a single)

Estranged (was a single)

Spaghetti Incident was also really a pretty big miss....only hardcore fans bought it and nothing was really a "hit"....a lot of people saw "Since I Don't Have You" as a sell out and most people were saturated with GNR in 1993 (as hard as that is to believe now).

They should have taken a break and returned in 1996 or 1997 with a back to their roots rock album the way Metallica returned with Load. Instead of course they imploded and we are left with the joke that is GNR today.

In hindsight, Use Your Illusion is just a mess.

UYI should have been one album with remaining tracks used as B-Sides or saved for the follow-up album.

A Greatest Hits should be songs that charted in the top 40 and the edited down single versions. If they want to do a collection/anthology where they're pulling together live and rare versions, that's a whole other matter. Jeff Buckley had a compilation but they didn't call it a "Greatest Hits" because he only had one single that charted and one album released while he was alive. AC/DC have never had a greatest hits even though it probably would do well if they released it.

I actually saw a Playlist Greatest Hits comp for Jeff Buckley the last time I went to Best Buy. It's still a bunch of shit though, just get Grace and you're all set. And if AC/DC did a two-disc comp (1 disc Bon and the other Brian), it'd sell millions in a heartbeat.

I still think GNR would do well for a 2-disc "Best Of". My tracklist would probably be (Not sequenced, naming them straight off the album):

Disc 1:

1) WTTJ

2) It's So Easy

3) Nightrain

4) Mr. Brownstone

5) Paradise City

6) SCOM

7) Rocket Queen

8) Used to Love Her

9) Patience

Disc 2:

1) Don't Cry

2) Live and Let Die

3) November Rain

4) Dead Horse

(I'd also add You Ain't the First, Bad Obsession, Garden of Eden and one of the Izzy tracks off UYI I, but that's just me)

5) Civil War

6) 14 Years

7) Yesterdays

8) KOHD (Live Tokyo Dome '92, the studio version is terrible)

9) Estranged

10) YCBM

(Deliberating between Pretty Tied Up, Breakdown and Locomotive)

11) Ain't It Fun

12) Since I Don't Have You

(I'd probably tack on Better, but honestly the mainstream buyer couldn't give a shit about CD)

Edited by IRanOutOfIdeas