Rate the first half of 2014 for GnR

GnR had a lot of big performances in 2014. How would rate how the first half of the year has turned out?

RnR/Brazil tour................B.

Rio was nothing special. Nothing new played on the tour. Axl's vocals improved as the shows went on. Attendance was pretty good. Having Duff play was cool.

Revolver................C-

Played a lot of songs. But Axl seemed off for most of the show, DJ's screw-ups. Seems there was more negative buzz than positive out of it.

Vegas....................B-

Not much in terms of changing things up. At the end, added another cover and pulled out an old Illusions song. The talk of Ron's departure was a distraction. From all accounts, Axl sounded great. Just "more of the same" was the general talk until the final couple of shows. People are saying that the next to last show might be the "best" GnR show the current band has ever put on.

Live DVD/Movie theatre..............D

Only in the world of GnR is there so much "work" involved in an item like this. Slash is blocking it, the band is slow on signing off, the label is doing this, the company putting it out is screwing up, etc, etc, etc. Some how, other bands are able to smoothly release live DVDs.

General............C

No news of a new album, no new songs played in 2014. Axl did a cool interview that was a package deal with the Revolver show. The mystery behind everything that goes on with this band is just a ridiculous "business" decision by those in charge. Letting fans know the status of a new album, the DVD release and Ron's status are things that every other band would handle in a professional manner. Why GnR doesn't is beyond me.

OVERALL..................C

I suppose the highlight of it all is that epic show a couple nights ago. I know I stayed up WAY too late watching the killer live stream. That's a show that should be sold via DVD!!!

The bummer part for me, as a fan, is that 2014 could have easily been an A-plus for the band.

*Show up in top form for Rio.

*Keep the Ron stuff inhouse. Or at least address the situation with a firm statement.

*Live DVD and movie run - make it happen. With NO feuding with people.

*Revolver show could have been huge. A lifetime achievement award for Axl - they should have ran with it. Hijacked Izzy to show up for a song or two. A duet with a singer that Axl really respects. And Axl being on-fire during the show like he was those last couple in Vegas. This performance could have been headline news in the music world.

*Vegas - do something that separates it from the last time and from other bands that have done it. A real surprise guest or two. Couldn't get Izzy for the revolver show, get him for one of these shows. Bring in some cool special guests. Dice is cool and all......20 years ago. Prince or Tom Petty or Alice Cooper, there are a ton of performers who would love to play a song or two with GnR. And debut a new song or two. If there really is a catalog that features double-digit numbers of completed songs, it isn't going kill or hurt a future album if the band plays something new. Even something like they did at the Music Awards show. Play one minute of three different songs in a medley.

And just when it seems like Axl's voice is in A-plus form and the band is firing on all cylinders......vacation time.

Instead of swinging for the fences and trying to hit a home run, it seems that GnR just took the safe route all the way around.

Was Rio supposed to be any special besides being the first show on the tour?

The last three Vegas dates brought a lot of positivity I think.

Duff joining them for a good few shows was cool as well. No new songs overall, I'd have to give them a B.

I think the first half of the year finished up strong.

Axl's interview is positive. Some actual setlist variety is positive. Most positive of all was Axl sounding better.

I'd probably give them a B.

BTW, I retroactively downgrade this is that interview talk doesn't pan out. I'm grading on an optimistic curve here.

South America: D

Mostly awful performances all round. Only saving grace was Duff.

Golden Gods: D

Axl blows it in the spotlight again.

Vegas: B+

Huge vocal improvement. Great setlists and two semi-new songs.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 3

Sorry to be a wet blanket bu unfortunately DJ Ashba ruins my enjoyment of the band.

It was awesome to have Duff back, yet it sucked that Axl sounded so bad until the Vegas thingy.

Playing TWAT, Prostitute and Patience isn't enough to float my boat...unless it's unheard material (not cover songs), new album or reunion I'm not really into it.

Default F for Fail, Vegas shows (with Axl sounding good again) get a C.

meh/10.

I mean seriously, am I supposed to be excited because Axl looked less bloated? Or sounded less terrible? Or that Ashba didn't fuck up a solo somewhere? Two genuinely cool things happened this year. Duff played with them and they played Yesterdays for the first time since 1993. Those things would be the cherry on the cake for a normal functioning band. But with GnR, there's no cake to begin with. So the cherry won't matter anyway.

This, so far, has been just another year where GnR accomplished nothing. No progress was made. Just like the year before and the year before that etc...

• Like 2

meh/10.

I mean seriously, am I supposed to be excited because Axl looked less bloated? Or sounded less terrible? Or that Ashba didn't fuck up a solo somewhere? Two genuinely cool things happened this year. Duff played with them and they played Yesterdays for the first time since 1993. Those things would be the cherry on the cake for a normal functioning band. But with GnR, there's no cake to begin with. So the cherry won't matter anyway.

This, so far, has been just another year where GnR accomplished nothing. No progress was made. Just like the year before and the year before that etc...

Yep.

I'd give it a 6.5/10. It was terrible until Vegas, and even there only the last couple of shows were good. The band was tight most of the time, with the occasional fuckup by DJ. Axl sounded weak most of the time. But he kinda won me over again after seeing those videos of TWAT, Prostitute and Yesterdays.

Plus, I really enjoy The Seeker and Catcher.

Axl doesn't sound "less bad" in the past few shows. He actually sounds pretty good.

Had the whole tour been like the residency - great vocals, a bit of setlist variation - the year would have had a promising start.

Totally agree.

If Axl would have gotten his ass prepared in February, and the whole tour was the quality of the last few shows, we are all singing a way different tune here today.

*Vegas - do something that separates it from the last time and from other bands that have done it. A real surprise guest or two. Couldn't get Izzy for the revolver show, get him for one of these shows. Bring in some cool special guests. Dice is cool and all......20 years ago. Prince or Tom Petty or Alice Cooper, there are a ton of performers who would love to play a song or two with GnR. And debut a new song or two. If there really is a catalog that features double-digit numbers of completed songs, it isn't going kill or hurt a future album if the band plays something new. Even something like they did at the Music Awards show. Play one minute of three different songs in a medley.

And just when it seems like Axl's voice is in A-plus form and the band is firing on all cylinders......vacation time.

Instead of swinging for the fences and trying to hit a home run, it seems that GnR just took the safe route all the way around.

You seem to have better ideas than anyone surrounding GNR at the moment. I wonder why is that? Why things like these are not suggested to Axl? Or are they and he rejects them?

I really don't understand why they keep doing the same shit over and over. Dunno if it's the management not having one single good idea dropping off their hats or Axl not wanting to so anything diff.... It's hard to believe such a talented person cannot get more creative than what we've got in the last 5 years.

• Like 1

You seem to have better ideas than anyone surrounding GNR at the moment. I wonder why is that? Why things like these are not suggested to Axl? Or are they and he rejects them?

I really don't understand why they keep doing the same shit over and over. Dunno if it's the management not having one single good idea dropping off their hats or Axl not wanting to so anything diff.... It's hard to believe such a talented person cannot get more creative than what we've got in the last 5 years.

Thank you.

I guess that's the rub on this band. And none of us really know exactly why things happen or don't. Does Axl just simply not want to? Are Beta/Fernando and the "camp" sheltering Axl so much that they've lost sight of reality? Or maybe all the outside organizations really are "out to get Axl." The label is at fault, Rock Fuel is at fault, maybe there really is a world wide conspiracy against Axl.

I'm no rocket scientist, I'm just a lifetime rock music and GnR fan. Yes, I could make GnR one of the biggest bands in rock music again. Because Axl is still one of the most dynamic and polarizing musicians alive. Heck, any rock manager that is halfway decent could lead GnR back to being one of the 10 biggest rock bands in the world - based on their CURRENT music - rather than them just being a nostalgic act living off their past.

Look at Axl's performance the last two shows in Vegas.

Like it or not, CD sold about five million copies. With basically no push from Axl.

Axl has the talent, the voice, the presence and a killer band behind him. They could easily rule the rock world again.

But for whatever unknown reason......somebody in the inner-circle of the band simply doesn't want to go that route.

• Like 1

Thank you.

I guess that's the rub on this band. And none of us really know exactly why things happen or don't. Does Axl just simply not want to? Are Beta/Fernando and the "camp" sheltering Axl so much that they've lost sight of reality? Or maybe all the outside organizations really are "out to get Axl." The label is at fault, Rock Fuel is at fault, maybe there really is a world wide conspiracy against Axl.

I'm no rocket scientist, I'm just a lifetime rock music and GnR fan. Yes, I could make GnR one of the biggest bands in rock music again. Because Axl is still one of the most dynamic and polarizing musicians alive. Heck, any rock manager that is halfway decent could lead GnR back to being one of the 10 biggest rock bands in the world - based on their CURRENT music - rather than them just being a nostalgic act living off their past.

Look at Axl's performance the last two shows in Vegas.

Like it or not, CD sold about five million copies. With basically no push from Axl.

Axl has the talent, the voice, the presence and a killer band behind him. They could easily rule the rock world again.

But for whatever unknown reason......somebody in the inner-circle of the band simply doesn't want to go that route.

:(

That's terribly sad.......... there are no reasons for that to happen so I guess this force that pulls them back from glory must be REALLY STRONG. It's a shame.

D.

Standards sufficiently lowered to make lesser-played CD songs an event in itself. Good marks for Yesterdays, but god knows a new-new song could have been interesting.

That sodding DVD abortion rearing its head. just don't bother. Nobody cares about 3D and/or concert films at the cinema anymore.

The wibbly wobbly nature of Ron leaving (or not) and the fact that getting info from this 'band' is a Herculean effort and said info nearly always turns out to be bollocks anyway.

It gets harder to support this because you can't help but hope they'll do what other bands do and follow standard models of single-album-video-tour etc., only for the last thing you expected to happen, happen. Gets to the point where you think welp, if something cool happens, then good. Otherwise, ehh.

Weak start but they finished off well. SA was pretty poor throughout, the 1st American dates saw some improvement, Vegas got better and better. I'm just talking about vocal performance not song selection. Song selection was poor throughout. It was nice hearing 'My Michelle, Prostitute and Yesterdays' but come on the band should have went out with a change up of the set, It's telling when the guy in the front row is calling out the next song before it happens.

Physical performance: Start: 5/10 End: 8/10 followed the usual trajectory of Axl getting better as the tour progressed, disappointing as he should have been at least 3/4 each night and not prepping for vegas with a run in SA. Seems like he still does little no prep work before the tours, if he does it's minimal.

Songs played: Start: 3/10. No changes, great songs... but tired songs in a tired order. End: 7/10... I'm being generous there because I absolutely love Yesterdays and I thought they played it really well, even with a changed guitar solo that I wasn't wild about.

As for everything else, aborted releases, supposed turmoil in the band (Ron)... no changes it's the same every year and it sucks, wish they could get their shit together, looks more and more unlikely though.

Hopes for the end of 2014 is that we have at least some new material either debuted live or released officially in some way shape or form... Not holding my breath, but it would be great.

Edited by Tom2112