CD Remix album - testing the waters?

Re-release of CDI with a proper booklet its a MUST to me. Then you could throw a collectors

box with Cd-Cd2-Remix. Id pay for that!

Serious question, just out of curiosity....why does the booklet mean so much to you? Isn't it typically just lyrics, thank you notes from band members, and sometimes a few pictures? You would pay $16 for another copy of CD if it got released with a different booklet?

Re-release of CDI with a proper booklet its a MUST to me. Then you could throw a collectors

Serious question, just out of curiosity....why does the booklet mean so much to you? Isn't it typically just lyrics, thank you notes from band members, and sometimes a few pictures? You would pay $16 for another copy of CD if it got released with a different booklet?

I know you weren't asking me, but the booklet is almost endearing to me at this point. It just seems like the absolute last thing that could have went wrong with the album and did. I remember opening it the first time (Best Buy shipped my CDs and LPs almost a week early) and saying "OH FUCKING COME ON!". My wife asked what was wrong and I said "11-15 YEARS IN PRODUCTION AND THE GODDAMN BOOKLET HIS TYPOS!!!" :lol:

With respect to the topic at hand, I don't think there's any need to do any testing of any waters. I recommend GN'R follow this formula:

Release kick ass single

Release kick ass album

Rinse

Repeat

This formula will guarantee that no one needs to test any waters.

I know you weren't asking me, but the booklet is almost endearing to me at this point. It just seems like the absolute last thing that could have went wrong with the album and did. I remember opening it the first time (Best Buy shipped my CDs and LPs almost a week early) and saying "OH FUCKING COME ON!". My wife asked what was wrong and I said "11-15 YEARS IN PRODUCTION AND THE GODDAMN BOOKLET HIS TYPOS!!!" :lol:

With respect to the topic at hand, I don't think there's any need to do any testing of any waters. I recommend GN'R follow this formula:

Release kick ass single

Release kick ass album

Rinse

Repeat

This formula will guarantee that no one needs to test any waters.

Thanks Russ - I get what you are saying.

I've never really understood the "collector" aspect of it all. A 25-cent guitar pick or an autograph or buying three copies of an album and stashing away two of them.

Now when I buy a CD I'll check out the booklet, then put it back in the case, which gets tucked away and maybe never looked at again!

So I was just curious why people love booklets so much! (Hopefully nobody takes offense to my question).

The rest of your answer is also spot on.

Releasing a remix album is fine...........if it is just a throw in thing to tide people over between albums. That remix album should have came out three years ago.

I just can't imagine any manager of any band in Guns' spot saying "You know, instead of releasing an album of original material, let's just so a remix of the only album we've released in the last 20 years. That seems like the best route to go."

After seeing that 2nd to last show in Vegas, this band has so much talent and potential that a new album could really launch GnR back up to the top of the rock world.

Blood in the Water is one of the worst songs (?) I've ever heard. A remix album would be hilarious. I hope they release it.

"Fan "

And a huge one. AFD and UYI are my favorites. I also enjoy early versions of TWAT and Better. If I weren't a fan I wouldn't be here, agree?

Don't you agree a remix album of CD would be hilarious? Have you heard Blood in the Water? Releasing remixes of 6-10 years old songs that nobody outside the forums care about. How is that not hilarious?

I totally agree with you

A remix album? Why? What rock band does that? That would only make people laugh. As a GNR fan it'd be cool to hear them but to anyone else, it's just weird.

It's typically an industrial/electronic band thing, but artists like U2 have dabbled in strictly remix albums. The album's more than likely to contain demos and outtakes (hopefully some unknown) along with the remixes.

The only way CD Remix works is if it's either released simultaneously with CD II, or if GnR make it

expressly clear that the Remix album is just a teaser for the lead up to CD II. Anything that GnR

does is going to get attention, so it's not like the latter option is actually necessary. They can achieve

the same thing with Axl appearing on late night talk shows or wherever and reminding people that he

is still alive.

Unless it is just packaged with CD II I don't see anyone aside from hardcore GnR fans bothering with

the Remix disc. I really do want to hear the remix version of Madagascar that has the MLK quotes replaced

with Nicolas Cage quotes though.

It'd be fun, but it better bet a bonus disc. Otherwise they'll collect dust in the stores.

Exactly. As a bonus throw in, only.

You spend the better part of a decade on one album. Which few cared about.

Then, given 6 years to come up with something new...and its remixed versions of the same songs that made no impact on the marketplace?

axl honestly SHOULD hire evader to help him with his next album (if there is a next album) -- i'm not even fucking joking, he should.

there will never be a remix album for ChiDem - its time has come and gone. if it was gonna happen it would have been a long time ago. i like the album but it didn't make much of an impact and remixes aren't going to change that for the general public. they need to just focus on new material IMO rather than rehashing rehashes of material that's now going on almost two decades old (!!!).

Groghan.-

The reason why Id like a proper booklet of CD its becuase its such subpar of alternative work of arts out there, it doesnt fit the standards of Guns and considering the

wait for the álbum all we deserved was a proper job.

As a foreigner Id love to read the lyrics and the booklets, I learn a lot of english through that you know. Im also kind of collector on Guns.

Maybe re-releasing Chinese we´d have THE GRENADE COVER!

A box containing CHINESE - CHINESE 2 - REMIX ALBUM would be a fucking dream and closing a chapter/agony since 2001.

i'd love Axl to take more electronic direction and to to be only a nostalgic act. However, with bucket out of the band and DJ and Ron in, I don't think it's something that's gonna happen. Which is shame because in modern hard rock, there is no way Axl, Dizzy or Richard would actually use all their creative potential.

Edited by BatVin

I do not have anything against it, but I do not want it to be a major release. It will not test anything to do with demand more widely it will anyways be a diehard fan album. I just want new material, we have sort of heard different of mixes and outtakes of different songs already. No more. New music, next.

Exactly. As a bonus throw in, only.

You spend the better part of a decade on one album. Which few cared about.

Then, given 6 years to come up with something new...and its remixed versions of the same songs that made no impact on the marketplace?

Or something downloadable through the web site, released only to fans. that way no real money is lost and whoever wants it can get it.

It's just too unrealistic business-wise to have it sitting in stores and expect a profit.

That said, I think it's a cool project and I'd buy it however they put it out.

AFAIK, the remix album was never intended as a standalone album, just as a bonus disc on a re-release of Chinese Democracy. I don't know how a bonus disc would be testing any waters.

Yeah, but Axl's Revolver interview kind of implied otherwise.