Requesting evidence of Richard Fortus being an exceptional guitarist

Richard is my fave guitarist in the current lineup - great performer and has some great chops. Just look at his session works to see his range. Shame we didn't hear more of him on ChiDem, hopefully we'll hear some on the next album. Should definately be doing more lead, stick DJ on rhythm and let Fortus take over the leads and I'd be alright with that.

• Like 2

Richard is my fave guitarist in the current lineup - great performer and has some great chops. Just look at his session works to see his range. Shame we didn't hear more of him on ChiDem, hopefully we'll hear some on the next album. Should definately be doing more lead, stick DJ on rhythm and let Fortus take over the leads and I'd be alright with that.

I agree. But let's be honest here: Finck is a good example of a guitar player that lacks a lot of the skills Richard is a master at, and yet Richard lacks that x factor I think Robin drowns in sometimes. Someone here once said Fortus always misses the mark. I tend to agree, at least as a lead guitar player.

Robin was able to write a song like Better, construct the This I Love solo, and come up with something so lyrical which was his There Was A Time solo. Maybe Richard is capable of that and even already wrote great material but didn't get the chance yet to be heard.

Personally I think there is a difference between guitar players like Slash, Bucket, and Robin to guitarists like Richard, Bumble, and Ashba. I don't know exactly what it is, but Richard doesn't have it. I still think he's great, but not as a lead player. But that's not his main job in Gn'R anyway, and I think he's very important for Guns. Has that cool classic hard rock vibe going on. I think he could help with riffs. Plays You're Crazy perfectly. Got that style down.

Edited by Rovim

I agree. But let's be honest here: Finck is a good example of a guitar player that lacks a lot of the skills Richard is a master at, and yet Richard lacks that x factor I think Robin drowns in sometimes. Someone here once said Fortus always misses the mark. I tend to agree, at least as a lead guitar player.

Robin was able to write a song like Better, construct the This I Love solo, and come up with something so lyrical which was his There Was A Time solo. Maybe Richard is capable of that and even already wrote great material but didn't get the chance yet to be heard.

Personally I think there is a difference between guitar players like Slash, Bucket, and Robin to guitarists like Richard, Bumble, and Ashba. I don't know exactly what it is, but Richard doesn't have it. I still think he's great, but not as a lead player. But that's not his main job in Gn'R anyway, and I think he's very important for Guns. Has that cool classic hard rock vibe going on. I think he could help with riffs. Plays You're Crazy perfectly. Got that style down.

Great post! To me the difference is the ability to create notes that gives me eargasms. Technical ability doesn't mean shit if it isn't utilized to create a series of notes that makes me close my eyes and play air guitar followed by picking up by own guitar followed by dismay when I realize I will never come up with anything as great as that. And if I were to say exactly what it is about those notes, or combination of notes, that I like so much I think it often has to do with the unexpectedness of how a note follows another - not by being completely random, but fitting in without being the most obvious choice, often an octave higher and with a tone that sends shivers down my spine - or the space between notes and the timing of when they come in. Slash was an absolute master of this. Richard's got the chops, but he has yet to make music that reaches that specific level for me, it's like he holds back a little rather than just closes his eyes and give himself entirely to the solo. But what do I know.

I would consider richard to be an exceptional player, great feel, great chops and he's a good entertainer to top it off. I would not say he's the most inspiring songwriter out there but whenever he plays I enjoy his playing because authenticity and passion seeps through it, every note counts for something... comparing him to Dj... no even close, Dj plays safe and still messes up, each note is just another note... Bumble and Richard are true musicians, not just because they've reached extremely high standards technique wise but because they actually perform well, nail what they intend to play, practice and listening to their playing you can hear the love for the instrument.

I really like Richards chord/melody stuff and when he plays with Bumble or Robin, playing with great musicians he can sound truly amazing...

Dead Daisies don't do anything for me, good players but they just don't have the songs (IMO), the singer is talented but he gives me nothing, maybe in an album or two they will find a sound, but for now it sounds like a heavier rolling stones with a bit more emphasis on funky elements.

Edited by Tom2112

Great post! To me the difference is the ability to create notes that gives me eargasms. Technical ability doesn't mean shit if it isn't utilized to create a series of notes that makes me close my eyes and play air guitar followed by picking up by own guitar followed by dismay when I realize I will never come up with anything as great as that. And if I were to say exactly what it is about those notes, or combination of notes, that I like so much I think it often has to do with the unexpectedness of how a note follows another - not by being completely random, but fitting in without being the most obvious choice, often an octave higher and with a tone that sends shivers down my spine - or the space between notes and the timing of when they come in. Slash was an absolute master of this. Richard's got the chops, but he has yet to make music that reaches that specific level for me, it's like he holds back a little rather than just closes his eyes and give himself entirely to the solo. But what do I know.

You know, it's always the big three: Phrasing, the tone of each note, and the note choices. Slash had all of those. With Richard it's also other things like his bends. Bend vibrato is like a finger print. It is unique, and I don't like some of his bends. His note choices are not as lyrical as Slash's or Robin's.

He doesn't hold back, he gives it his all, it's just his taste. But his approach really helped to build a song like Better. Without his harder chorus riff, the song wouldn't rock quite as hard. It needed that riff, and he totally got what Robin was going for with his verse riffs and the general feel of the song. He can probably write a lot of sleazy riffs for Axl, and I sure hope he already did considering he's in the band for 12 years now.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

We know Ashba can write songs as basic as they are (where songwriting in GNR demands a lot more than this kinda material), there's nothing inherently wrong with them and they've sold well, and also has a solo record without vocals so he can do that, it is reasonably decent stuff, his solo sections are enjoyable. We know BBF can write good songs but they aren't the most commercially viable but he has an absolute wealth of rock and metal knowledge and his solo abilities are stupendous, we know Fortus has been in some songs but has he written a consistent amount before, and can he? Who knows.

Enough said. His solo on the James Bond Theme is unbelievable. He is the best Guitarist in GNR now, he has more soul and the best tone IMO. I could listen to him solo all day. Debating wether he is a 'virtuoso' or not is a waste of time, the guitar virtuoso saying is a perpetuation by the media.

I wish Richard would get more solos in GNR but hopefully we get to hear some of his genus on their new record. Personally, you can't replace someone as Iconic as Slash with out comparison but Richard seems more consistent and cleaner Live than Slash was and is. Slash however is my favorite guitarist/writer of all time. Richard is my 2nd favorite live guitar player....and I've seen a lot!

Maybe we should rank these by percentile of professional guitar player %

Slash - 99%

4Tus 97%

Bucket 96%

Bumble 96%

Ashba 90%

Fink 80%

Or a more detailed Live / Writer?

How would Axl deal out the songwriting duties/solo duties on a record, CD was a clusterfuck but Finck/BH were always there with the solos even if they didn't write all that much. I'd imagine with a unit of 6+ years together it'd be a more close knit affair but the CD session stuff with the old guys stuff on it would be another CD incident of kaleidoscopic merry go rounds.

How would Axl deal out the songwriting duties/solo duties on a record, CD was a clusterfuck but Finck/BH were always there with the solos even if they didn't write all that much. I'd imagine with a unit of 6+ years together it'd be a more close knit affair but the CD session stuff with the old guys stuff on it would be another CD incident of kaleidoscopic merry go rounds.

I would put money on any and all Finck/BH solos being replaced by Ron, Rich and DJ.

I would put money on any and all Finck/BH solos being replaced by Ron, Rich and DJ.

Time to move on.

Fortus is a worthy guitarist. There is no denying that. I think he fills Izzy's shoes nicely, but no one can replace the songwriting.

but i dont know if he is a good songwritter, this is the most important ability in a GnR member.

Is it though ? Would you say that GnR members do more song-writing than live playing nowadays ?

I hope new Guns will write new hard rock songs in the next album, I only want hard rock :)

lol