Boardwalk Empire: Final Season Discussion

Yeah, didn't see it coming. Thought they wrapped the series up nicely. Wasn't sure why they were keeping the Gillian character around through last season, but now it all makes sense. Tying Nucky's death with the scene where he traded Gillian's innocence with his promotion was well done.

Not that this story closely follows what actually happened to these characters, it was too bad that we didn't see Lucky get his. I know the real Luciano lived well into his old age, but it was tough seeing what I thought was a bit of dunce of a character rise to the top. Perhaps it was the way they handled the character or the actor they chose to play him, but I felt like up until the very end he wasn't the most compelling or masterful of characters.

Pretty good last season, although it would not have hurt the show if there'd have been another season set in 1928/29. So it felt a little bit rushed with certain events, but I won't complain. Still way better last season as i.e. Dexter.

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff they glazed over that one would have thought might have been good fodder for potential episodes. They completely skipped Arnold Rothstein's murder, and unless you know anything about the real Lucky Luciano, viewers are still hazy about why and how he ended up with his facial deformities.

I guess interest in the show had waned and HBO was only prepared to fund one more season (I've read that it's an extremely expensive show to produce). It's just not getting the buzz it use to, so I get why they truncated the series to one last season with a reduced episode count.

Maybe (I hope so) they'll make some kind of special for the DVD/BD-release about the events that happened in between i.e. Arnold Rothstein's death. A one hour animated movie about that would be cool. Also hope they will release a nice Boxset with all seasons included, perhaps in a 'prohibiton whisky box' ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It was a great season, but I do agree with the fact it could have used another season between this one and the last one. All series I was waiting to see how they were going to incorporate AR's death and Lucky's beating. Oh well :shrugs:

Along with Capone's war with the North Side Gang, Frankie Yale's death and I wanted to see the Atlantic City Conference. Also wanted to see what happened with Nucky, his brother Eli's time in Chicago and how Van Alden became so suicidal.

That scene with Capone and his kid got me right in the fucking feels. Also liked the last scene with Eli and Nuck.

Overall I have no complaints. Tied up all the loose ends, everyone got what was coming to them, and no ambiguity like goddamn Sopranos.

Just when Nucky was thinking of getting into the TV business and getting out of crime....BAM. Sins of the past caught up with him.

Only thing I didn't like was Chalky basically walking into his own death....but I guess he had nothing left to lose cause he was a broken man with nothing to live for and just welcomed the end of his misery.

Nelson went out like only Nelson could....full of self-rightous rage, almost getting a piece of Capone in the process. Very true to his character

I dug it...a hell of a series that managed to surprise me lots of times. Pretty Irish boy in the box was a great scene...remember that?

Oh, and I'm glad Narcisse got his, the pretentious prick!

Edited by estrangedtwat

Owen Sleater! He was such a cool character. He goes out of his way to kill a guy in some shithole of a bar. Fucking crazy mick! Doens't even bother telling Nucky Mr. McGaragyle is about to get shot in the back of the head. I was like "Fuck Jimmy" after that.

I can understand why people were upset over Richard Harrow. He is one of the greatest supporting characters on HBO since Molisanti or Keller or Said. But Jimmy, dude was a fuck up. Sure, he killed that one guy and helped Johnny Torrio take over Greek Town, but right away they are like "Yeah, you are just helping Torrio and Capone, you will be dumped." and he decided to side with the man who raped his mother because he wanted to get back at the man who sold his mother to the man who raped her who was going to get her and rape her anyway because he's the fucking Commodore. Fucking idiot.

But yeah. I like how they kept Eli's ending ambiguous. I like how Nucky leaves him with the money yet a razor and a brush, kind of telling hiim to clean up and start over. I like that subtly.

richard was such a great character, i was upset when he was killed but it fit with the story and i gave props to hbo for doing it. most shows when a character dies i could care less but when i actually feel something when a character dies they have done their jobs.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was fine with it. I feel if I watch the series again I will get even more satisfaction with the Commodore's death because he was just pure evil. Nucky was finally being punished for probably the worse thing he has ever done. Worse than the killings he did and ordered, worse than the laws he broke. Worse than his own infidelities. Corrupting the innocence of a child for gain, was his own downfall, and he finally paid for it through Tommy Darmody.

But that Commodore was evil, he knew Nucky would make a great Sheriff but being a good man gets you nowhere in his town. Now everyone involved in the Darmody affair is either day or invalid.

I was satisfied with how it ended and in every season there were at least a few highlight moments and the hug between the brothers in the end was a nice touch. He looked so lost and scared knowing he's not going to see Nucky anymore, can't rely on his big brother anymore to form a direction and make him feel everything will be ok, no one to take care of it but himself. In some ways, he never grew out of being Nucky's little brother.

Good show. It promised something bigger imo, but what was there is cool. It's not The Sopranos, but with a lot of personality and I'll remember it fondly.

Edited by Rovim

I loved this show, mostly for the sets and costumes. Some great writing and characterisation early on, it went off the boil a bit later on and it was obvious the last season was just wrapping it up. At least they did it in a reasonable way rather than just cancelling (still bitter about Carnivale).

I hoped HBO would have developed a miniseries on what happened between seasons 4 and 5 instead of skipping over 7 years. Then again the show was always about Nucky and his endless struggles and Terrence Winter, felt it was time to end the suffering of this character. Season 4 pretty much marked the decline of Nucky after being top. Times were changing and he was getting on with his years. People wanted to see what happened to Rothstien, but that scene with him losing badly at the table said it enough. His time was up.

Eli's future seems grim, his fate is left up to the viewer, feel bad for Nelson's kids, Margaret on the other hand is going to be fine, just fine. She found herself another Irish gangster by the name of Kennedy. Too bad we didn't see her kids, teenagers by then.