RIP Robin Williams

RussTCB

You know what the weird thing about this is? I wasn't even that big of a fan of the guy, sure I actually really liked some of his movies/shows when growing up but I never was crazy about him however somehow im feeling a bit gutted by this news because he always came across as a warm fatherly figure. Not sure if any of you guys get what I'm trying to say.

Edited by grouse

Sorry I posted the same time.

Anyway, I feel terrible about Robin William's death. I liked him from his Mork and Mindy days and throughout his career. He was amazing as a stand up comedian and a wonderful actor.

I just read that he went into rehab again for cocaine addiction and suffered from depression. Having family members who have suffered from depression, I know how hard it is on someone and their family and friends.

I hope he's at peace now. My sympathies go out to his family and his many friends.

He will be missed so much by all.

The details make it look like he had an absolute breakdown of large proportions. There's no telling what kind of trouble he was going through outside of severe depression, coming out now that he may have been bankrupt..... Who knows what was going on in his head. Still such a tragedy and it's taking awhile for this one to sink in.

When he's been dealing with that mix of rage and depression as long as he's been dealing with it, I think he was just tired and wanted out. There's a point where someone can get to having no joy in their life, and even if people love the man, it doesn't matter when he doesn't love himself and didn't want to make his problems anyone else's problems. I also think the kids being older will make it a little easier on them to deal with it, than if they had been little and never got to know him.

I'm glad he made us laugh and gave us memorable characters we'll always enjoy. I wish I could say I met the man but I saw him from a distance a few times and didn't feel right about bothering him. I did read a handwritten letter he wrote a friend of mine and thought it was cool he put time aside to do that for him.

I liked what Gilbert Gottfried and Norm MacDonald wrote about him, and Billy Crystal left it at "no words".

I felt similar about the Gary Speed suicide. Maybe when you don't know the background or even the person you just can't see why.

Hell, I was a mess when I was told that Gary Speed had passed. The same goes for Sir Bobby Robson.

I loved Patch Adams.

RIP

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004

I felt similar about the Gary Speed suicide. Maybe when you don't know the background or even the person you just can't see why.

I have been there a few times.

Panic attacks, and their side effects, are the worst. Very disabling, and very hard to control. You feel like you have lost the ability to breathe and it is quite scary. Even when it is finished, you feel odd, you grind your jaw causing toothache, you feel uncomfortable swallowing and breathing. Sleeping is weird. Alcohol helps for five minutes, some drugs help for a lot longer, so people stride for those if they have the money.

Sleeping is an odd experience, you generally stay awake for hours, but very often when you do sleep you have weird dreams. You dream people are in the house or in the garden, or.. you have weird dreams where you think you wake up but you cannot function. You know you have been sleeping, and you are not sure if you are awake or you are sleeping and you try to wake yourself up, but it does not work. Again, this all sorts itself out, but you cannot sleep.

If you are addicted to alcohol or drugs, then life gets even harder. You wake up, probably early, in the morning on edge. Anyone you live with will probably be treated badly, because you have one goal, and anything outside of that is an annoyance.

When you go to rehab clinics, they point out to you all the bad things you are doing to other people, and you can take badly to it. Noone ever wants to torture anyone else, but that is what happens.

Life can be strange

If any good comes from this, it should open up to some people what depression really is. It's not something that can be easily cured. It takes more than meds and to tell that person to snap out of it. It is something it takes family and friends to do. It can really cloud the judgement and make you do crazy things.

It can happen to anyone, even those who live on making people happy such as Robin Williams.

I have been there a few times.

Panic attacks, and their side effects, are the worst. Very disabling, and very hard to control. You feel like you have lost the ability to breathe and it is quite scary. Even when it is finished, you feel odd, you grind your jaw causing toothache, you feel uncomfortable swallowing and breathing. Sleeping is weird. Alcohol helps for five minutes, some drugs help for a lot longer, so people stride for those if they have the money.

Sleeping is an odd experience, you generally stay awake for hours, but very often when you do sleep you have weird dreams. You dream people are in the house or in the garden, or.. you have weird dreams where you think you wake up but you cannot function. You know you have been sleeping, and you are not sure if you are awake or you are sleeping and you try to wake yourself up, but it does not work. Again, this all sorts itself out, but you cannot sleep.

If you are addicted to alcohol or drugs, then life gets even harder. You wake up, probably early, in the morning on edge. Anyone you live with will probably be treated badly, because you have one goal, and anything outside of that is an annoyance.

When you go to rehab clinics, they point out to you all the bad things you are doing to other people, and you can take badly to it. Noone ever wants to torture anyone else, but that is what happens.

Life can be strange

So what you're saying is with depression/addiction they are really living in hell personally but also pushing everyone away. So in the end you feel like you'd be better off dead for everyone.

I was thinking more like once your parents die and say your wife is a bitch and you get divorced and go bankrupt. There's no one to really hang out with or that loves you. Maybe if you had kids but they will be living somewhere else. For people who once had it good or even just regular folk to really see yourself and what the future holds. Then maybe health problems, potentially dying in pain alone. That kind of reality might be hard to face.

Gene, I hope you are reading this and shutting your mouth. I'm just playing with you, you I know I love you.

Edited by wasted

It makes more sense why he was so depressed if he had Parkinson's disease. I'm still very sad he's dead....but at least I understand why he did what he did. I hope he took the time to say goodbye to his familly first. Life is so unfair. :-(

Now Robin's wife said he had Parkinson's disease. My God, what else could poor Robin have had to deal with? Depression is bad enough, but then to get this diagnosis too. One of his best friends was Michael J. Fox, who has had Parkinson since 1991.

Anyway, everyday there seems to be more and more news about Robin. I wish it would stop because nothing anyone says can ease the pain of his loss. I think so called experts feel they must explain Robin's depression but no one really knows for sure how he felt.

My mother was bi polar and before her diagnosis, she was given anti depressant pills for her depression. Finally, in the early 80's a doctor figured out what was wrong with her and she was put on the correct pills.

I just feel like some people think they need to explain things to regular people in hopes it can make you understand so you can accept it. I don't give a shit what they say, I feel a terrible loss in Robin's death and no matter what they talk about or explain, they can't make the grief go away quicker.

I understand that they think making it public might help other people, but sometimes the pain is too much to bear. I just know living with depression is very hard and sometimes you feel there's no way to stop the pain. It's very sad.

I know Robin's pain is gone now. Whether there is a place we all go afterwards, I'm not so sure. All I know is losing someone you love sucks and it's selfish of us because we want them to be with us always.

He filmed a movie in my wife's home town (very small town - 100 residents small) and while their shooting, a couple times Robin just walked around town and into local businesses to introduce himself and say hello to people. He didn't want the towns people to be annoyed by the commotion of the filming, so he went and shook hands with people and thanked everybody for being so gracious. None of the other stars did that (from what I was told) just Robin. One elderly lady had just baked a pie and was sitting on her porch and Robin walked by and said hello...and five minutes later he was inside their house having a slice of warm pie.

Can you imagine Julie Roberts or Justin Bieber doing that?

A few years after that another film crew went through there for some reason, I don't know if they shot something on location or were just traveling through or what the reason was, but a bunch of "stars" had dinner and drinks at one of the local restaurants and bars. From all reports, Woody Harrillson was extremely friendly and outgoing and had drinks and chatted with all the locals that were there drinking/eating.

• Like 1

Yep, nothing but good comments from people about Robin.

This is easily the "hardest" celebrity death for me since MJ. Robin meant so much to me, not only growing up with his movies but being my favorite stand-up comedian and a big inspiration to me to try to make people laugh all of the time.

I wish I could have seen him live. He was easily the equivalent comedian-wise that someone like Axl is to me music/band-wise.

• Like 2

Life is so unfair. :-(

To be fair - the guy had a pretty amazing life. Lived into his 60s, made an estimated more than 100 million dollars (owned a 32 million dollar second home), was an A-list celebrity and worshipped every where he went. And he chose to take his own life, leaving a wife and his children behind. As opposed to babies born with horrible diseases, little kids dying from cancer, etc.

Not downplaying his life at all - guy was one of the most beloved entertainers of all time. Maybe even top 10 of all time? Incredible actor. One of the best comedians that has ever lived. And from all reports, extremely generous and kind-hearted, loved by everybody that he spent time with. Truly one of the good people. And it sucks that anybody is so tortured and unhappy in life that they'd choose suicide.

Maybe unfortunate is a better word than unfair.