Your favorite stand alone GNR track?

It would have to be a song that still evokes the same feelings as the first time i heard them and after all these years some tracks have lost that magic. Estranged, WTTJ or Nightrain if i pushed to choose just 3 studio tracks but if its a live version is a bit easier with Civil War Paris 92' just edging it. The power in Axls voice in that performance still astoundes me to this day.

Tough call. With a gun to my head I'd probably go with TWAT. It's not necessarily my favourite GNR song (though it's in my top five), but if I had to choose one to listen to over and over again, it would be TWAT.

Runner ups would be Estranged, Locomotive, and Coma.

http://soundcloud.com/gabes-mix-tape/sets/gabes-mix-tape-the-epic

This a playlist I put together on soundcloud. It follows the rise and fall and subsequent 2nd coming of GnR. Clocking in at just under 10 hours. Hope you get some enjoyment out of it. I want to thank Mr. Street of dreams and gnrbootlegs and all the other people who posted all the great tracks.

Edited by majormayhem
  • Like 1

If you were just going to listen to one GNR track which would it be?

I saw that in the live shows Estranged seems to take people places.

I'd probably go with Paradise City or Catcher in the Rye, maybe Civil War. I'll try to reach a final decision later.

It depends on the person. Some people grow out of rock as they age. Some people remain angry, some mellow out. It really comes down to the individual. For me, the more genuine shit has aged better. Stuff like It's So Easy etc. Why? Because it was written by five guys in some dank little hell hole while they were poverty stricken and hungry. A lot of those songs on Appetite are biographical struggles. That sort of thing endures better than Civil War even though it is more topical in nature. We can ALL relate to Appetite but very few to Civil War (most people are too stupid to even get the song).

Edited by combos

This a playlist I put together on soundcloud. It follows the rise and fall and subsequent 2nd coming of GnR. Clocking in at just under 10 hours. Hope you get some enjoyment out of it. I want to thank Mr. Street of dreams and gnrbootlegs and all the other people who posted all the great tracks.

Cool

let me throw this channel, rarities, great memories, stonger performances

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2twxpXjozyB7i86FR64LQ

aand this is one of the best 91 shows out there (in terms of sound quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb786yWQUOM#!

• Like 1

Cool

let me throw this channel, rarities, great memories, stonger performances

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2twxpXjozyB7i86FR64LQ

aand this is one of the best 91 shows out there (in terms of sound quality)

!

Nice! Thanks for sharing

I'd probably go with Paradise City or Catcher in the Rye, maybe Civil War. I'll try to reach a final decision later.

It depends on the person. Some people grow out of rock as they age. Some people remain angry, some mellow out. It really comes down to the individual. For me, the more genuine shit has aged better. Stuff like It's So Easy etc. Why? Because it was written by five guys in some dank little hell hole while they were poverty stricken and hungry. A lot of those songs on Appetite are biographical struggles. That sort of thing endures better than Civil War even though it is more topical in nature. We can ALL relate to Appetite but very few to Civil War (most people are too stupid to even get the song).

That's what the thread is about what is the track that can really do it for you as a stand alone.

I think what your saying is about what will last or people will always relate. Sweet Child O Mine is that for me. Throw that on no questions asked.

Paradise City, Civil War, Estranged, Madagascar I just put on as single plays and they take me somewhere else.

As an album AFD is easiest to get into, party, rabble rousing hard rock. It will last like Back in Black or something.

But I think YCBM is the best band song GNR did.

• Like 1

That's what the thread is about what is the track that can really do it for you as a stand alone.

I think what your saying is about what will last or people will always relate. Sweet Child O Mine is that for me. Throw that on no questions asked.

Paradise City, Civil War, Estranged, Madagascar I just put on as single plays and they take me somewhere else.

As an album AFD is easiest to get into, party, rabble rousing hard rock. It will last like Back in Black or something.

SCOM is the timeless classic for sure. When you say band song, I don't really understand what you mean by that. like...I guess you mean they all brought something to the table that was great, that was Guns, that was crucial to the song. So Duff had the intro, Sorum played good, It was an Izzy song, Slash's lead work is great on it, and Axl brought his A game. But what about Nightrain for example? Everything clicked perfectly. and you still had Izzy's guitar high in the mix and the whole love hate relationship Izzy's and Slash's guitars had.

SCOM is the timeless classic for sure. When you say band song, I don't really understand what you mean by that. like...I guess you mean they all brought something to the table that was great, that was Guns, that was crucial to the song. So Duff had the intro, Sorum played good, It was an Izzy song, Slash's lead work is great on it, and Axl brought his A game. But what about Nightrain for example? Everything clicked perfectly. and you still had Izzy's guitar high in the mix and the whole love hate relationship Izzy's and Slash's guitars had.

maybe the lyrics are better. Axls vocals on YCBM are immense too. Axls rant. Nightrain is also similar, Better too for that lineup. Finck, Axl, Fortus. I might put Jungle ahead of Nightrain, but Nightrain is a tune. Jungle is too big it's hard to judge it. It's a beast. YCBM is kind of got the balance between beast and tune.

maybe the lyrics are better. Axls vocals on YCBM are immense too. Axls rant. Nightrain is also similar, Better too for that lineup. Finck, Axl, Fortus. I might put Jungle ahead of Nightrain, but Nightrain is a tune. Jungle is too big it's hard to judge it. It's a beast. YCBM is kind of got the balance between beast and tune.

Ah. Yeah, makes sense. (in a very fucked up sort of way)

As a "beast" I'd crown Jungle as the best Guns song. Theme song. Calling card for any 80's hard rock lover.

Axl's YCBM vocals are indeed something special. Even my mom likes it. (very weird. she's not into rock music)

Nightrain has no balance. It's drunk. I can't be objective about this song anyway. I want it played in my best friend's funeral.

Edited by Rovim

If you look at YCBM vs. SCOM, you totally get a good example of what I meant in my original post. Both are relationship songs, but YCBM is more specific. What you're getting is Axl's life, in Axl's own words. SCOM is generalized. We all relate to it. That's what makes it more enduring imo.

If you look at YCBM vs. SCOM, you totally get a good example of what I meant in my original post. Both are relationship songs, but YCBM is more specific. What you're getting is Axl's life, in Axl's own words. SCOM is generalized. We all relate to it. That's what makes it more enduring imo.

Yes I agree. Quite a lot of AFD is more easily relatable and I said above SCOM will endure.

This thread is about what song kind of gives you a spiritual experience or the best stand alone. For SCOM isn't that. Most of AFD isn't like that for me. I like the momentum the tracks build up. For me Paradise, Estranged, Civil, Madagascar I feel satisfied after one song.

To me YCBM is the best band song because it reps both sides of GNR. It's catchy, but it's heavy. But it's pushing the lyrics and vocals as far as they can, like the most epic straight ahead rocker they could do. Izzy wrote it, Axls crazy lyrics. Slash aggressive guitar work. Duff bass thang. It's got it all but within the AFD type of territory and still having some of the artistry of UYI.

Nightrain reaches a pinnacle which, only the Stones (C. 68-72) have achieved in the field of rock n' roll. There is truly something in that song that embodies the history of American music. There is the blues there. You have the Chuck licks. And the rock n' roll decadence.

• Like 1

Yes I agree. Quite a lot of AFD is more easily relatable and I said above SCOM will endure.

This thread is about what song kind of gives you a spiritual experience or the best stand alone. For SCOM isn't that. Most of AFD isn't like that for me. I like the momentum the tracks build up. For me Paradise, Estranged, Civil, Madagascar I feel satisfied after one song.

To me YCBM is the best band song because it reps both sides of GNR. It's catchy, but it's heavy. But it's pushing the lyrics and vocals as far as they can, like the most epic straight ahead rocker they could do. Izzy wrote it, Axls crazy lyrics. Slash aggressive guitar work. Duff bass thang. It's got it all but within the AFD type of territory and still having some of the artistry of UYI.

The most spiritual song is Estranged imo. Musically, it takes you to a certain place emotionally that is deeper than all the other tracks in their catalog.

Nightrain reaches a pinnacle which, only the Stones (C. 68-72) have achieved in the field of rock n' roll. There is truly something in that song that embodies the history of American music. There is the blues there. You have the Chuck licks. And the rock n' roll decadence.

Precisely. I still remember the first time I've heard Appetite. Nightrain just blew my fuckin' mind. More then any other song on there. All the elements, every member of the band, working together to make it so fuckin' unhinged. It's wild, it defines the spirit of youth if you don't have a stick up your ass and you like to party and just lose control. The song is totally out of control.

It's melodically strong, it pushes forward in a relentless, devil may care way, and it's destructive. When I listen to it it takes me to a different world.

It's my favorite rock song from Guns. (Estranged is my favorite Guns "ballad")

Edited by Rovim

Precisely. I still remember the first time I've heard Appetite. Nightrain just blew my fuckin' mind. More then any other song on there. All the elements, every member of the band, working together to make it so fuckin' unhinged. It's wild, it defines the spirit of youth if you don't have a stick up your ass and you like to party and just lose control. The song is totally out of control.

It's melodically strong, it pushes forward in a relentless, devil may care way, and it's destructive. When I listen to it it takes me to a different world.

It's my favorite rock song from Guns. (Estranged is my favorite Guns "ballad")

I totally agree, Nightrain is one of GNR's best rockers. It is rocking but still melodic, sleazy but filled with great solos and intent, catchy as hell, etc. My only problem with the studio version of the song is that the outro solo fades out!

Rocket Queen is another one where I feel like it encapsulates GNR in just the right element of rocking and strong melodic moments like the second half of the song. Estranged is my favorite ballad GNR did too, Axl's parts and Slash's guitar work amazingly well on that one