Why was Izzy's amp unplugged during the '91 UYI tour?

58 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

yes they can and should but the ruthlessness of it all appears to be more gutless - they haven't created anything new them 3 together since the illusions that is nerving in itself  considering the absence of izzy is the main reason why - look at the hypocrisy of duff changing his tune as soon as it was all going in that direction - guaranteed him and izzy anin't so tight no more 

I think a major reason they haven't made music together since the Illusions is because they weren't in a band together for 20 years. Just a hunch. 

18 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I think a major reason they haven't made music together since the Illusions is because they weren't in a band together for 20 years. Just a hunch. 

No way it can't be that! Your hunch is giving you gip! It's completely irrelevant that they weren't in the same band, it's all because Izzy left and the rest didn't know what to do. How could Slash record a song for a new album without Izzy teaching him the parts? How could Axl sing and write lyrics without Izzy? GN'R is a one man band, it always has been, it's basically an Izzy solo band. I have a hunch that Axl doesn't even sing on the records, Izzy just put him up front on stage as he has too much integrity to be a front man. :lol:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tonto said:

No way it can't be that! Your hunch is giving you gip! It's completely irrelevant that they weren't in the same band, it's all because Izzy left and the rest didn't know what to do. How could Slash record a song for a new album without Izzy teaching him the parts? How could Axl sing and write lyrics without Izzy? GN'R is a one man band, it always has been, it's basically an Izzy solo band. I have a hunch that Axl doesn't even sing on the records, Izzy just put him up front on stage as he has too much integrity to be a front man. :lol:

I'm still mad they didn't tour in 2000! But how could they without Izzy?

2 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Fuck It, Im an idiot for jumping into this tired ass debate, but im bored.

I'll start this off by saying I hold no particular allegiance to any said band member of GNR, contrary to the image of the Slash skull. I love Guns N Roses, not specific band members, I appreciate what they all have contributed into making what this band is today, except for Nu GNR which I dont give a shit about. What follows is simply my take on things. 

I can understand why so many are so fiercely loyal and love Izzy and his contributions to GNR. They're of great importance, and the band wouldnt have been what it was without him. But the reality is that the dude fucked up. Yes, he was correct in choosing his health and piece of mind instead of dealing with egomaniacal lead singer and addict band members. But everything we do in this life has consequences for better or worse. He made choices that have impacted him in the long run. 

example 1. If known information is correct, Izzy recorded nothing more than Scratch takes on Illusions, and then split. The result of that was Slash going over and overdubbing Rhythm tracks over his scratch tracks where him Axl, and im assuming Duff didnt feel they were up to snuff. 

example 2. He refused to feature in any of the videos that they recorded before he left the band. That would be Dont Cry and You Could Be Mine. his bandmates obviously resented him for that, and later on that came to bite him in the ass,  as that along with not "moving around enough on stage", plus his guitar tracks on the Illusions all resulted in that demotion contract that Axl tried to push on him. Fair or not, that is for everyone to decided. while I think that was a Slap in the face to him, I can also see what Axl,  Duff and Slash felt about it as well. as everyone has mentioned they had to have been in the known about it and agreed to pushing said contract to Izzy. 

example 3. Then in 93, when Gilby breaks his hand, Izzy gets the call and he comes back and plays a couple a shows to get back some money he was owed. Fair enough. As soon as that was over, he split again. His bandmates didnt like how the situation went down, Slash mentioned how he couldnt even get Izzy to rehearse, and that he had forgotten his parts, blah blah blah, most of ya'll have heard this story before I can assume. 

example 4. Wanting to make sure his finances arent impacted by his bandmates while they're out on the road playing shows 2-3 hours late, causing riots and shit like that, he cuts a deal to get a piece of the pie and exit said partnership when it expired in 96. 

So if all the above rambling is taken into consideration Izzy hasnt  toured much, if at all since the end of 92 when he fled from his own band( with the exception being a very brief japan run he did with Duff and Loaded in 98 or 99, the couple of weeks he did with GNR in 06 and the other couple sporadic appearances since then) then Its no surprise that Axl, Slash and Duff lowballed him and or offered him a very small role in this whole thing. Which is fucked up if taken at face value, with what little we all know. But the truth is we dont know. Which is why I dont really understand either extreme of the arguments (Izzy cant play/Not important vs the A/S/D are greedy, asshole backstabbers) The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Everyone's hands are dirty as far as im concerned. Im more than sure that even Slash and Duff have agreed to shit they dont particularly like because they wanted back in to something they helped make as big as it is. I cant begrudge them for that. For as much as they may have downplayed it in the past, Im more than sure that the band meant alot to them and it pained them to have to leave it behind. Maybe if Izzy was willing to bend some on certain things in the past (music videos/ recording of the Illusions where Axl and the rest were satisfied) he may still be there right now. 

Its a shame that they are now 50+ years of age and they cant simply wipe the slate clean, and have a fresh start and go out on top together like they started. but fucking hell, every mind thinks differently, so what makes sense to me probably wont to someone else. :shrugs:Really, my only problem with everything has been the fucking designer clothing line and all that useless shit they're selling for rape prices, but the the show I saw last year in LA was great, I had a good time, no complaints on that front. whether we get anything like music or old shit from the vault that'll be up to them. It'll be a sad thing if they call it quits and dont release any of that, sure. But life goes on.

Also, that idea or opinion that A/S/D cant/shouldnt be playing Patience or DTJ because Izzy wrote them is  stupid as fuck. Last time I checked those were songs recorded under the name Guns N Roses and are on Guns N Roses albums. so fair game on those no matter what. He may have brought in lyrics and complete guitar parts, but they were recorded in collaboration with the rest of the band.

39 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I'd like to add that Izzy selling his shares and being bought out is a majorly significant factor that a lot of people are just dismissing as unimportant. He sold his shares, was paid by Axl/Slash/Duff for them, and washed his hands of it all. Over the last 25 years, Axl/Slash/Duff managed the brand, representing the band against lawsuits, representing themselves against in each other in lawsuits involving the band, negotiating with each other one what logos can be used or what songs will be on compilation albums or if live DVDs can be released, or if songs can be licensed out, etc. And then they went through the process if mending relationships and eventually putting together a major, lucrative, two year tour. Meanwhile, Izzy had nothing to do with any of it. Why would Izzy be entitled to "equal loot" ?  I assume when he was demanding the same money as the guys who actually own the band he wasn't offering to give that money they paid him for his shares back. 

well said!

OT: Where are the "like" buttons?!

18 minutes ago, Tonto said:

:lol:

:popcorn:

Look at the mega insiders that have popped up here in the last little while!! 

So duff was mad that izzy wanted an equal share, yeah that must be it, hey buddy if you say it i believe it 

Clearly izzy is the reason why GNR became as big as it was, yes he got his shares bought, but he was sort of pushed out of the band and he maintained his integrity which as much as you can spew on it means something 

I think it's a bit tough to stomach that since all these guys are still alive that they wouldn't find a way to make it work moneywise on a ballpark level savages 

21 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Look at the mega insiders that have popped up here in the last little while!! 

So duff was mad that izzy wanted an equal share, yeah that must be it, hey buddy if you say it i believe it 

Clearly izzy is the reason why GNR became as big as it was, yes he got his shares bought, but he was sort of pushed out of the band and he maintained his integrity which as much as you can spew on it means something 

I think it's a bit tough to stomach that since all these guys are still alive that they wouldn't find a way to make it work moneywise on a ballpark level savages 

It was reported on THIS website, use the search function and you might learn a thing or 2.

Yeah, you're right, Izzy is the reason, if he came back they'd be playing two stadium shows back to back each night. He wrote all of the big songs, all the big hits, all Izzy. 

That's why when he left the band they were forced to start playing pubs and county fairs. The Illusion tour was very small and the tour they're doing now is not much bigger. 

I love Izzy's integrity, he could sell millions of his solo albums if he wanted to but he choses not to, he could even get some nice artwork done but he doesn't want to embarrass the other members so he just goes with plain white covers with little red stars or brick walls. The guy is a class act, tip to toe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tonto said:

It was reported on THIS website, use the search function and you might learn a thing or 2.

Yeah, you're right, Izzy is the reason, if he came back they'd be playing two stadium shows back to back each night. He wrote all of the big songs, all the big hits, all Izzy. 

That's why when he left the band they were forced to start playing pubs and county fairs. The Illusion tour was very small and the tour they're doing now is not much bigger. 

I love Izzy's integrity, he could sell millions of his solo albums if he wanted to but he choses not to, he could even get some nice artwork done but he doesn't want to embarrass the other members so he just goes with plain white covers with little red stars or brick walls. The guy is a class act, tip to toe.

yeah sure i trust anonymous insider reports 

buddy you're the class act tasked with this quasi defamation of character 

keep it up and stay classy yourself 

1 hour ago, Tonto said:

That's the impression I get too.

mm75z8.jpg

:P 

3 minutes ago, Tonto said:

I don't think you read the thread correctly. We all know Izzy released a lot of solo albums, what's your point?

You implied in your post that I quoted that GNR couldn't function as a normal band without one of it's primary songwriters. I was agreeing with you.

Edited by downliner

2 minutes ago, downliner said:

You implied in your post that I quoted that GNR couldn't function as a normal band without one of it's primary songwriters. I was agreeing with you.

It couldn't function with him either, he came back to write in 95 and nothing happened. Santo Stradlin doesn't walk on water and his collection of filler records shows no evidence of his songwriting greatness.

Edited by Tonto
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tonto said:

It couldn't function with him either, he came back to write in 95 and nothing happened. Santo Stradlin doesn't walk on water and his collection of filler records shows no evidence of his songwriting greatness.

I've heard plenty of great songs on his solo records. You couldn't find a single scrap of evidence of good songwriting in the 100+ songs he's released since quitting GNR? His records are basically a stripped down version of Guns :shrugs:

15 minutes ago, downliner said:

I've heard plenty of great songs on his solo records. You couldn't find a single scrap of evidence of good songwriting in the 100+ songs he's released since quitting GNR? His records are basically a stripped down version of Guns :shrugs:

i hear a lot of Stones and early REM rip off's on his albums, doesn't sound that great to me, but each to his own.

Just now, Tonto said:

i hear a lot of Stones and early REM rip off's on his albums, doesn't sound that great to me, but each to his own.

:headbang: Everyone has their own preferences. If we all just agreed with each other this forum would have died years ago :)

FYI, I hear a lot of NIN/Bowie/Lennon ripoffs in Chi Dem :lol:*sorry, couldn't resist*

1 minute ago, Modano09 said:

Let's just settle this. When Izzy left GNR, he surely went onto a massive solo career. What was his best selling album?

It's probably Appetite For Destruction, same as Axl, Slash, Duff and Steven?

If you mean solo album, well he's released so many that I'm honestly not sure. I don't think he cares how many copies he sells, if he did he would be out there promoting it.

I prefer Izzy's solo albums over Guns N' Roses. Sales? I couldn't give a monkeys about sales. I never began listening to music because of sales, and never had the slightest interest in sales once I had (proceeded to listen). They literally mean nothing to me. My favourite Aerosmith album is the first one which sounds like cack and sold five copies.

13 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

example 1. If known information is correct, Izzy recorded nothing more than Scratch takes on Illusions, and then split. The result of that was Slash going over and overdubbing Rhythm tracks over his scratch tracks where him Axl, and im assuming Duff didnt feel they were up to snuff. 

example 2. He refused to feature in any of the videos that they recorded before he left the band. That would be Dont Cry and You Could Be Mine. his bandmates obviously resented him for that, and later on that came to bite him in the ass,  as that along with not "moving around enough on stage", plus his guitar tracks on the Illusions all resulted in that demotion contract that Axl tried to push on him. Fair or not, that is for everyone to decided. while I think that was a Slap in the face to him, I can also see what Axl,  Duff and Slash felt about it as well. as everyone has mentioned they had to have been in the known about it and agreed to pushing said contract to Izzy. 

example 3. Then in 93, when Gilby breaks his hand, Izzy gets the call and he comes back and plays a couple a shows to get back some money he was owed. Fair enough. As soon as that was over, he split again. His bandmates didnt like how the situation went down, Slash mentioned how he couldnt even get Izzy to rehearse, and that he had forgotten his parts, blah blah blah, most of ya'll have heard this story before I can assume. 

example 4. Wanting to make sure his finances arent impacted by his bandmates while they're out on the road playing shows 2-3 hours late, causing riots and shit like that, he cuts a deal to get a piece of the pie and exit said partnership when it expired in 96.

thats how bullshit info gets spread. to the best of my knowledge you got your facts wrong.

example 1 = Izzy recorded his parts and split. Now ask yourself where did you hear/read that Izzy's parts were "scratch takes"? Was it Izzy who told you that? Or was it Slash? Hah! It was Slash who said that whatever Izzy recorded were "scratch takes", right? The same Slash who never really enjoyed having another guitar player in the band. The same Slash who went and RE-RECORDED Izzy's parts WITHOUT TELLING IZZY about it. Classy guy! Now listen to Appetite and Lies and tell me if izzy's parts sound like "scratch takes". So do you really think Izzy's parts were "scratch takes". Or was it very convenient for Slash to describe them as "scratch takes"?

example 2 = Izzy didnt even want to do those million dollar videos. The band (more likely Axl) appparently didnt really asked him about what was his opinion on doing those videos. Izzy was pretty much left out of the decision making process. Looking back, it's very likely that Axl shove those videos down everybody throaths cause it's very likely that Slash and Duff didnt really wanna do them like that. Izzy has said that part of the blame on everything on that 1990-1991 period (including being left out of the decision making process) is on him cause at the time he had alienated himself from the band. But please dont say he "refused" to be part of the videos cause its really not that simple. Oh, and bout the Axl contract, if you can see anything reasonable and decent about that, sorry, i can not even begin to have a discussion with you. That has got to be the most sad, disgusting, pathethic move in rock n roll. Ever. Only a lunatic would try a smingy, despicable move like that.

example 3 = again, its Slash telling you all of this. You can believe him but you should try and see what Izzy has said about those shows. Its a bit different story, to say the least. I am too lazy now to find the interviews where he talks about that. Keep in mind that Slash sort of always wanted to be the only guitar player in GNR, he openly talked about how he never felt confortable (or never really enjoyed) playing with Izzy.

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

thats how bullshit info gets spread. to the best of my knowledge you got your facts wrong.

example 1 = Izzy recorded his parts and split. Now ask yourself where did you hear/read that Izzy's parts were "scratch takes"? Was it Izzy who told you that? Or was it Slash? Hah! It was Slash who said that whatever Izzy recorded were "scratch takes", right? The same Slash who never really enjoyed having another guitar player in the band. The same Slash who went and RE-RECORDED Izzy's parts WITHOUT TELLING IZZY about it. Classy guy! Now listen to Appetite and Lies and tell me if izzy's parts sound like "scratch takes". So do you really think Izzy's parts were "scratch takes". Or was it very convenient for Slash to describe them as "scratch takes"?

example 2 = Izzy didnt even want to do those million dollar videos. The band (more likely Axl) appparently didnt really asked him about what was his opinion on doing those videos. Izzy was pretty much left out of the decision making process. Looking back, it's very likely that Axl shove those videos down everybody throaths cause it's very likely that Slash and Duff didnt really wanna do them like that. Izzy has said that part of the blame on everything on that 1990-1991 period (including being left out of the decision making process) is on him cause at the time he had alienated himself from the band. But please dont say he "refused" to be part of the videos cause its really not that simple. Oh, and bout the Axl contract, if you can see anything reasonable and decent about that, sorry, i can not even begin to have a discussion with you. That has got to be the most sad, disgusting, pathethic move in rock n roll. Ever. Only a lunatic would try a smingy, despicable move like that.

example 3 = again, its Slash telling you all of this. You can believe him but you should try and see what Izzy has said about those shows. Its a bit different story, to say the least. I am too lazy now to find the interviews where he talks about that. Keep in mind that Slash sort of always wanted to be the only guitar player in GNR, he openly talked about how he never felt confortable (or never really enjoyed) playing with Izzy.

Hey man, I can only work with what is out there. None of us were really there were we?  We are relying on the anecdotes and recollections of people that were there. However shit went down, they werent happy with his parts or how they sounded, which is why Slash overdubbed over it. Now if your position on this is that Slash is simply an asshole and wanted all the glory to himself, then that is fine. I wont try to convince you otherwise. I prefer to try and see things from different angles and try and understands everyones viewpoint. Izzy himself hasnt divulged much detail on the events either, except that he went in did his parts, and split. He didnt want to do deal with all the bloated ballads and the stuff Axl was doing with the keyboards and synths. But then again its not hard to see how his bandmates in the state that they were in would see this as lack of commitment. Im sure Duff and Slash disagreed with the direction as well, but had to do what they to be a functioning band again.  

As for the bolded I said I thought it was a Slap in the face to Izzy. Guess you didnt read that carefully. Me saying I can kinda see the rest viewpoint isnt justifying it. Like I said, I dont have allegiance to any particular side here. So chill, dont get worked up on shit that has no bearing on neither you or my own life. 

My recollection of what Izzy has said of this shows was that he did them to try and recoup Cash owed to him, play/ see new places and to see his bandmates. HE himself said he spent little time with the band, and the only time he even hung out with one of them was with Slash when they went shopping or they ran into each other while both were out shopping, something like that. That itself fucking tells you all you need to know. If he spent such little time with them, I see it highly unlikely that Slash is lying about Izzy not rehearsing, and simply getting in and getting out. 

5 hours ago, tremolo said:

I think context is everything.

The band at that point (UYI recordings) was a trainwreck.

I've worked in the music business, I've been in recording studios, and I have been lucky enough to share those spaces with great artists and producers. From my experience, the standard is: show up with your songs ready, record in a few takes and get out. If a record takes longer than 2 weeks, someone is fucking up! Music is pretty much a time capsule, you capture a vibe, a mood, a story in the form of sound. You can't fuck around for months with an idea, or you lose that.

Izzy just wanted to get shit done the way it is supposed to be done. But it was a shitshow, mostly because of Axl, because based on what has been written, as fucked up as Duff and Slash were, they got their takes done quickly, same goes for Matt. But if you are in a functional band, you can't record your songs individually, one track at a time whenever someone decides to show up.

About the videos, he saw how the focus shifted from making music to these self-indulgent extravagant ideas that were nobody's but Axl's. The rest of the band didn't give a shot about it, but they compromised. My guess is that they were too fucked up to care much. The "problem" is that Izzy was sober, and the guy just wanted to do what he signed up for in the first place: make and play music. And since he was sober, he could clearly see where the whole thing was heading, and he didn't want to be a part of it, and the restnis history.

Now, with the reunion that didn't happen, I guess there was hope that after all these years, and with Slash back in the fold, things would be different. The fact that Slash and Axl were in good terms again opened the door to the possibility that this would be back to being a more or less functional band, that after all that was said and done for so many years, the fact those 2 were cool again meant that gnr was not a dictatorship anymore, cause Slash wouldn't put up with that crap, because he didn't have to, after all he built a name for himself and has a very successful career. But then you show up, hoping for the best, and you realise that nothing has changed, that the dynamics are pretty much the same, and the only difference is that Slash and Duff are now sober. It's still Axl's b(r)and, "the loot" is split according to what he considers fair, he is the one calling the shots.

For those who claim that it's Izzy's own greed that kept him out of this so-called reunion, I think that the way the loot was to be split wasn't the one and only problem in itself, but it clearly set the tone of how the b(r)and is managed. It was the writing on the wall, Izzy read it, and he didn't want to deal with the same shit that made him quit the band more than 1/4 of a century ago.

Hey thanks for the insight on band function and for the levelheaded response. 

I agree with you. Izzy isnt being greedy on asking for an amount that is fair to him. He has everyright to not partake in something that isnt right for him personally. It just sucks because we all lose with him not there.  

Edited by NicDwolfwood
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, downliner said:

:headbang: Everyone has their own preferences. If we all just agreed with each other this forum would have died years ago :)

FYI, I hear a lot of NIN/Bowie/Lennon ripoffs in Chi Dem :lol:*sorry, couldn't resist*

That's fair, mate. I like all the members of GN'R and find something cool on all of their stuff. It's just when I read some of the revisionism round here my head starts to spin, exorcist style!

I don't get why people think he is entitled to an equal share. He decided to leave and was paid an amount he agreed to for his share. He had every right to make that decision. He had every right to worry about lawsuits and things. But the fact remains he didnt want to stand by the band and all the lawsuits etc that he feared. I'm sure back then he felt a huge payout was better for him.

Those who stuck through what Izzy didn't want to get the bigger share. No matter how much I love Izzy I would never expect them to pay him equally. 

All this talk from fans saying how they bet Slash and Duff likely want to but Axl the dictator won't share make me laugh.

Who in their right minds would give up an equal share cutting your own share to a man that was already paid and left the band and all its dealings decades ago? Who in their right mind would say "oh its ok I understand why you left even though I stuck around dealt with things heres your equal share"? 

Oh come on do it for the fans you greedy bas.... they say. That's not fair and we all know it. 

I don"t care if Izzy had valid reasons for leaving or not. Hell, Slash left too but he was smart enough to remain in the partnership per se and not sale his rights off to the band. Izzy chose that. 

Izzy is the one in my opinion who is asking too much by equal sharing.

You can quote me all his contributions and how important he was and is to the band I don't disagree with you. What I disagree with is his right to equal loot and the demonizing of the others for not giving it.

Go on and tell me how much money they're making and how they can afford it now lol. They owe it to the fans. We made them lol.

They owe me as a fan a good show if I attend. They don't owe Izzy an equal share of something he gave up on and was paid an agreed to amount for it. 

But we won't get Izzy if they don't give him that is what many will say. Well that's on Izzy. He said Equal. He has no right to equal accept that.

But Axl is an arse and a dictator and Slash never really wanted him around is what will come up next. 

Axl was spending a lot on videos.

It also amazes me that many who claimed Slash was a saint and Axl the devil now claim Slash is a liar. Before it was always Axl is the liar and the proof is Slashs own words in his book. Duff said it too. Now its Slash Axl and Duff are all liars Izzy is telling the truth all the time and in the right. 

Noone could understand Axls fears of being surrounded by junkies overdosing but they understand Izzys. 

Round and round.

I can't speculate on the amount offered to Izzy and if it was fair. I can only comment on Izzys own Equal share comment. 

• Like 1

I don't know where that bullshit of Izzy not rehearsing with the band when he got back in '93 came from, but there's a video out there (I think is on the "Most dangerous band in the world" documentary) of Izzy singing Nightrain in rehearsals in Tel Aviv '93, cause, guess who really wasn't there to sing it? Yeah :awesomeface:

Edited by Darkenchantress