Why was Izzy's amp unplugged during the '91 UYI tour?

15 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

He did at one time.. 

"The rest of the country might think we are the sloppiest band in the world - but I really don't give a fuck" - Axl

Haha, damn right! :headbang:

Shortly after it, there was a rapid decline as drum solos, extended jams and whatnot started to ruin the genuinity of the band.

6 hours ago, default_ said:

EDIT:
Oh! And I'm not comparing Fortus to Izzy, never said Fortus is "better" than Izzy in any way, I'm just saying that he fits his pourpose more than well and iff Izzy cant be there, I see no reason to bash on him. Fortus is the best thing that came out of Chinese Democracy... Finck is great, but waaay too emo/alternative, while Fortus comes from the same punk, blues, RnR background as GNR. 

Just imagine if bumblefoot were the one to have stayd, that, THAT is a generic guitarrist. The horror

Fortus is a great guitarist and agree he's the best and most acceptable among the mercenaries.

As for Ron: fuck off. Generic? Guy is a genius. He has no place in GNR, obviously, but Mr Thal was one of the few true pioneers of modern guitar. Back in the 90's he was doing things with a guitar that NO ONE even dared conceive. A bender of rules to break into new musical territories.

6 hours ago, default_ said:

I wasnt talking about skills and I'm not even a fan, its just that aside his Janick Gers moves I cant see why all the hate torwards him, he has a mesmerizing bluesy/rockabilly way of playing, a brilliant tone and for the pourpose he is serving (touring), he is fuckin perfect.
And if he says they're working on music, I have no reasons to think he is lying, Its not his fault if that fatass with daddy issues cant release a fuckin song. 

Oh, and I strongly believe he's playing with a 1000% more soul than Slash that is noodling and sheredding like some maniac these days. 

EDIT:
Oh! And I'm not comparing Fortus to Izzy, never said Fortus is "better" than Izzy in any way, I'm just saying that he fits his pourpose more than well and iff Izzy cant be there, I see no reason to bash on him. Fortus is the best thing that came out of Chinese Democracy... Finck is great, but waaay too emo/alternative, while Fortus comes from the same punk, blues, RnR background as GNR. 

Just imagine if bumblefoot were the one to have stayd, that, THAT is a generic guitarrist. The horror. 

I agree with you.  While I would prefer if Izzy was back on rhythm guitar, if it isn't going to be him then Fortus is more than acceptable.  I don't understand the people who bash Fortus and would rather have Gilby.  Gilby was also just a touring musician that was an emergency replacement.  It isn't like Sorum who was involved in recording UYI.  Fortus is a skilled player and he certainly doesn't detract from the sound.  As far as new music, I'd rather have new music with Fortus on rhythm guitar than not have new music.  Ideally, Izzy would be there instead but ideally I'd have a house full of nude, perfect 10 models.  Sometimes we have to accept that reality is perfectly fine.

On 18/08/2017 at 11:00 AM, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Agreed there is a lot of covert, passive aggressive slaying of the legend izzy - when in fact the main reason why he left is because axl was demoting his shares for no fucking good reason at all - using the fact that he didn't shake his ass on stage and/or tour alongside druggies (by the way he has said in interviews that he had no problem touring, axl is the one that made up all this shit of he didn't wanna be this big) 

IZZY is the only former member along with SORUM who have their entire dignity and pride in tact - whereas the other ducktale sellouts continue on as if they were the coolest and the rest 2nd to them 

since the NITL i have not enjoyed listening to classic studio recordings or old concert footage as much as i have now considering that axl 90% of the time has nothing left in him as far as voice and passion and frank completely butchers every song to the max 

there is indeed nothing bad ass about this current incarnation at least with the NU GUNS there was still the murky mystery of axl and his somewhat purpose in breaking through however now its pure cash and that is the only thing that made izzy leave, if you have the business side of things in tact and fair for a founder then you have GUNS recording new songs and being relevant rather than this BS nostalgic act shit 

to make matters even more fucking outrageous one of the two new songs they have reintroduced into the setlist is DTJM that was entirely written by IZZY - WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE - HOMEFUCKS INDEED

Double Talkin’ Jive was written by Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy. Source? ASCAP.

Been reading this forum a lot lately and it seems Izzy is getting an awful lot of credit for being the sole writer on a bunch of songs that he was not the sole writer on! Do you think he’d thank you for making things up about him?

Credit where credit is due but don’t make things up, it’s pathetic. The song was written and performed by Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff, they’re not doing anything wrong by playing it live. Stop minimising and twisting the contributions of some band members to make your favourite band members look better. They can play any Guns N Roses songs they want, they are Guns N Roses, stop causing problems where none exist. 

On 8/26/2017 at 0:32 PM, Tonto said:

Been reading this forum a lot lately and it seems Izzy is getting an awful lot of credit for being the sole writer on a bunch of songs that he was not the sole writer on! Do you think he’d thank you for making things up about him?

Credit where credit is due but don’t make things up, it’s pathetic. The song was written and performed by Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff, they’re not doing anything wrong by playing it live. Stop minimising and twisting the contributions of some band members to make your favourite band members look better. They can play any Guns N Roses songs they want, they are Guns N Roses, stop causing problems where none exist. 

yeah you don't sound/look like a paid yes man 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

On 8/26/2017 at 1:15 AM, Kasanova King said:

That show is still one of my top 3 all time favorite live performances....so raw and full of energy....incredible performance from A-Z.

for sure.. It is my all time favorite.. Wish it was longer... God I hope they figure out away to release more footage from those early days.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2017 at 2:32 PM, Tonto said:

double talking jive was mainly written by izzy

it's been discussed here on this forum before

matt sorum clearly stated that in a video interview a while ago

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

double talking jive was mainly written by izzy

it's been discussed here on this forum before

matt sorum clearly stated that in a video interview a while ago

So we're supposed to ignore the actual writing credits as listed if they don't support the "Izzy wrote it all!" narrative some people want to believe?

32 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

So we're supposed to ignore the actual writing credits as listed if they don't support the "Izzy wrote it all!" narrative some people want to believe?

I don't get it. The writing credits list only Stradlin as the writer. What other narrative is there other than he wrote it?

And besides that, Slash even mentioned in his book that izzy brought in a bunch of complete songs, just like Duff and himself.

58 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

you are free to believe in whatever you want to believe

you can choose to ignore facts and evidence too

you can do whatever you want

we live in a free world

:rofl-lol:

below is a copy and paste from another thread...

===

DOUBLE TALKING JIVE = There is this 2011 Matt Sorum video interview for Brazilian show "Lokaos Rock Show" where he explains how Izzy came up with Double Talking Jive (song and lyrics). There was this news story (someone found "a head and an arm in a garbage can") and that was close to the studio where the band was recording. Matt tells how Izzy had left the recording sessions and went back to Indiana because, according to Matt, "they were drinking too much". One day Izzy phoned the guys and said "i got this song" (about the "head and an arm in a garbage can" story) and they went to the studio and did it in one take.

Now of course Matt is talking about the basic tracks. Then later Izzy and Axl worked together on the lyrics, probably to fine-tune them. Of course Slash "worked up" the song by adding a great solo to it and all. But I dont think its a case of izzy "handing the song". No. He wrote it, recorded it and left. You can check the story on the video below on the 6m47s mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xbOp1xZ08&t=407s

5 hours ago, ludurigan said:

you are free to believe in whatever you want to believe

you can choose to ignore facts and evidence too

you can do whatever you want

we live in a free world

:rofl-lol:

below is a copy and paste from another thread...

===

DOUBLE TALKING JIVE = There is this 2011 Matt Sorum video interview for Brazilian show "Lokaos Rock Show" where he explains how Izzy came up with Double Talking Jive (song and lyrics). There was this news story (someone found "a head and an arm in a garbage can") and that was close to the studio where the band was recording. Matt tells how Izzy had left the recording sessions and went back to Indiana because, according to Matt, "they were drinking too much". One day Izzy phoned the guys and said "i got this song" (about the "head and an arm in a garbage can" story) and they went to the studio and did it in one take.

Now of course Matt is talking about the basic tracks. Then later Izzy and Axl worked together on the lyrics, probably to fine-tune them. Of course Slash "worked up" the song by adding a great solo to it and all. But I dont think its a case of izzy "handing the song". No. He wrote it, recorded it and left. You can check the story on the video below on the 6m47s mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xbOp1xZ08&t=407s

According to Axl, it's a song Izzy wrote about himself :lol:

15 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't get it. The writing credits list only Stradlin as the writer. What other narrative is there other than he wrote it?

And besides that, Slash even mentioned in his book that izzy brought in a bunch of complete songs, just like Duff and himself.

Someone above posted that ACAP had Slash/Axl/Duff on Double Talkin Jive, but you're right, writing credits have only Izzy. One of, I think, 3 songs he wrote himself, none of which were GNR hits.  So I don't know what we're supposed to take from this. That Izzy's perfectly capable of writing a deep cut on his own?

7 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Someone above posted that ACAP had Slash/Axl/Duff on Double Talkin Jive, but you're right, writing credits have only Izzy. One of, I think, 3 songs he wrote himself, none of which were GNR hits.  So I don't know what we're supposed to take from this. That Izzy's perfectly capable of writing a deep cut on his own?

I think the original persons point was that one of the songs out of all the ones they could have choosen from the UYIs that was reintroduced into GNRs set this tour was a song soley written (and sung) by Izzy and then not include him in the tour. And he did not like that

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

32 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think the original persons point was that one of the songs out of all the ones they could have choosen from the UYIs that was reintroduced into GNRs set this tour was a song soley written (and sung) by Izzy and then not include him in the tour. And he did not like that

They likely brought it back because Slash likes playing it and they were looking to add deep cuts that weren't played by Axl's GNR to differentiate the shows, not specifically to spite Izzy.

32 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

This isn't directed at you, but just wanted to make the point in general and to OP, that Izzy was included in the tour; he said no. 

5 minutes ago, tremolo said:

I think Izzy is getting the last laugh there.

DTJ was never a hit, but it's a cult song, the fans love it. The band adds an Izzy song to their setlist to improve it. They had to resort to Stradlin's creativity. His mark in GNR will always be there, indelible, always present in gnr's live shows.

There are options though... a real band, after over a year touring, would have a couple songs ready from jamming sessions, and they could play that live to freshen up the setlist, create hype, get the fans speculating... create a bit of a frenzy in the fanbase. It doesn't have to be the next big hit. It is absolute possible for these guys to come up with a great song, but it doesn't happen. I blame Axl, he is afraid.

Nobody's buying a ticket to hear Double Talkin Jive. 

Of course his contributions will always be there. Nobody's trying to deny them. If pointing fingers and assigning blame for why Izzy isn't there, start with Izzy himself. 

9 minutes ago, tremolo said:

I think Izzy is getting the last laugh there.

DTJ was never a hit, but it's a cult song, the fans love it. The band adds an Izzy song to their setlist to improve it. They had to resort to Stradlin's creativity. His mark in GNR will always be there, indelible, always present in gnr's live shows.

There are options though... a real band, after over a year touring, would have a couple songs ready from jamming sessions, and they could play that live to freshen up the setlist, create hype, get the fans speculating... create a bit of a frenzy in the fanbase. It doesn't have to be the next big hit. It is absolute possible for these guys to come up with a great song, but it doesn't happen. I blame Axl, he is afraid.

Resort? Don't think that's the right choice of word.  Axl was always a fan of Izzy's work (he has said this several times in interviews) so it's only natural he'd include Izzy's song in the setlist.  He likes it. We know what Axl's like; he only sings what he likes.

I agree wholeheartedly with your second para.  I don't know why they don't use this tour as an opportunity to showcase a couple of new songs.  All I can think is that Axl is just being his usual secretive, paranoid, controlling self and doesn't wan't  'media over-exposure' (he's been paranoid about that in the past) and also he's not great at multi-tasking.  He'd want to do one thing at a time ie. first tour, then new material then whatever else.  Baby steps and all that...