Chinese Democracy Sales

I'm just going to use this thread to figure out how I feel about CD since the whole thing is a spampost shit show. Might as well turn this into the General GNR Discussion Thread.

Anyway, I was just listening to Sorry in the car. Enjoying the instruments, but my god Axl makes it tough with some of those lyrics. Like after the solo, for example. You have this gorgeous, emotionally intricate solo that develops and changes over time, and then you just kind of feel smacked over the head with stupid when Axl chimes in with, "You close your eyes, All well and good, I'll kick your ass

, Like I said that I would." Really? That's where you go with the song at that point? Fuckin' terrible.
Then there's this shit: "You don't know why, I won't give in, To Hell with the pressure, I'm not caving in." I'm dead serious when I say this, if one of my tenth graders turned in a sentence as redundant and flat as that I'd send them back for a rewrite. Fuck me. He had 14 years to edit this crap.

You've got a good point there. The lyrics to Sorry are childish and kinda insane. Bucket's solo is a thing of beauty. So much emotion.

Holy shit Rovim spamming this thread is way worse than the childish discussion that made this thread get locked.

It's funny how you're not even aware enough to realize you're the only one here that is spamming this thread. Grow up already. Let go of your child-like ways.

• Like 2

I was not impressed with Chinese Democracy's lyrics in general. 'IRS' contains a particularly cringe-worthy example of trying to rhythm together nouns,

Gonna call the president
Gonna call a private eye
Gonna get the IRS
Gonna need the FBI

I also always cringe at, ''sitting in a Chinese Stew''.

I was not impressed with Chinese Democracy's lyrics in general. 'IRS' contains a particularly cringe-worthy example of trying to rhythm together nouns,

Gonna call the president

Gonna call a private eye

Gonna get the IRS

Gonna need the FBI

My problem with that? I always come to this.... If you're willing and able to call the president, the IRS, and the FBI, why the fuck would you have any need for a private eye? :lol: just comes off as more lazy and uninspired writing on Axl's part.
  • Like 1

Gonna call the president

Gonna call a private eye

Gonna get the IRS

Gonna need the FBI

My problem with that? I always come to this.... If you're willing and able to call the president, the IRS, and the FBI, why the fuck would you have any need for a private eye? :lol: just comes off as more lazy and uninspired writing on Axl's part.

The lyrics on some of the verses in I.R.S are good though. The way Axl sings the "it's such a crime" part is cool.

Edited by Rovim

Gonna call the president

Gonna call a private eye

Gonna get the IRS

Gonna need the FBI

The lyrics on some of the verses in I.R.S are good though. The way Axl sings the "it's such a crime part" is cool.

Some of the better lyrics on the album are on IRS actually. That chorus just boggles my mind. No one told him it was shit? Not one person was like, "Axl, the rest of the song is pretty cool, but that chorus is fucking embarrassing"? How does no one say that?

Hopefully he drinks a bottle of JD on Christmas Eve and leaks the whole album under the title "Ron's Beard"

IRS and Sorry lyrics are no worse than Don't Cry and Don't Damn Me. Sometimes Axl goes direct. It's not exactly poetry but it gets the message over pretty clearly.

IRS could have been "the" hit single off of the album, imo, if it had better lyrics. The chorus is mind-blowingly bad, I'm amazed that somebody in the camp didn't point this out.

IRS is catchy as hell, got that amazing scream at the end. With better lyrics, this could have been the catchy-poppish-rock single that the band needed.

Better

IRS (with better lyrics)

Street of Dreams

Twat

But I think CD was a horrible choice as a single. The most generic and boring rock song on the album. I had friends that listen to Chinese and said "bleh, no thanks." I had to force them to listen to more tracks.

IRS could have been "the" hit single off of the album, imo, if it had better lyrics. The chorus is mind-blowingly bad, I'm amazed that somebody in the camp didn't point this out.

IRS is catchy as hell, got that amazing scream at the end. With better lyrics, this could have been the catchy-poppish-rock single that the band needed.

Better

IRS (with better lyrics)

Street of Dreams

Twat

But I think CD was a horrible choice as a single. The most generic and boring rock song on the album. I had friends that listen to Chinese and said "bleh, no thanks." I had to force them to listen to more tracks.

The 2001 version of CD with no stupid intro, more punkish and less bloated sound and shorter solo was much better IMO. Still just a generic song with crap lyrics of course but much more enjoyable, could have been a good single by early 2000s.

Better

IRS (with better lyrics)

Street of Dreams

Twat

The 2001 version of CD with no stupid intro, more punkish and less bloated sound and shorter solo was much better IMO. Still just a generic song with crap lyrics of course but much more enjoyable, could have been a good single by early 2000s.

No, f*ck you and your mother. You don't know sh*t about music. You have ears, but they clearly don't work. Why don't you go suck slash's d*ck.

(Isn't that what we're supposed to say if we disagree about a song?).

I've always chuckled at the fact that the three songs Axl seems to love the most (at least initially) are the three songs that I hated or find extremely boring and uninspired - CD, Sorry and Madagascar.

• Like 1

Better

IRS (with better lyrics)

Street of Dreams

Twat

No, f*ck you and your mother. You don't know sh*t about music. You have ears, but they clearly don't work. Why don't you go suck slash's d*ck.

(Isn't that what we're supposed to say if we disagree about a song?).

I've always chuckled at the fact that the three songs Axl seems to love the most (at least initially) are the three songs that I hated or find extremely boring and uninspired - CD, Sorry and Madagascar.

You forgot to mention how my life sucks and how I come here every day to bash a band I don't even like, but that's ok.

Speaking of Sorry, Magisme's description of how its dramatic solo ends and then Axl starts singing "Ill kick your ass like I said that I would" made me laugh earlier. Horrible, horrible lyrics and song. :lol:

Better

IRS (with better lyrics)

Street of Dreams

Twat

No, he said his 3 favorites from Chinese are Better, Street Of Dreams, and There Was A Time.

Gonna call the president

Gonna call a private eye

Gonna get the IRS

Gonna need the FBI

The lyrics on some of the verses in I.R.S are good though. The way Axl sings the "it's such a crime part" is cool.

Some of the better lyrics on the album are on IRS actually. That chorus just boggles my mind. No one told him it was shit? Not one person was like, "Axl, the rest of the song is pretty cool, but that chorus is fucking embarrassing"? How does no one say that?

All cautions made.

Edited by Rovim

Gonna call the president

Gonna call a private eye

Gonna get the IRS

Gonna need the FBI

Like, what did this person do to him that he needs to involve all these Government branches at once to help him deal with it?

Gonna call the president

Gonna call a private eye

Gonna get the IRS

Gonna need the FBI

Like, what did this person do to him that he needs to involve all these Government branches at once to help him deal with it?

He hit Axl's mother.

Edited by Rovim

Rovin - where/when did he say that? I'm not disputing it, I've just never heard that before.

CD was the first new song they started playing live and was the initial single released, as well as still being played today, and as well as replacing Jungle (the best concert opener of all time, any band) as the song to open every concert with.......I'm guessing it's one of his favorites.

And Madagascar is also one of the songs that Axl debuted years before the album came out.

Sorry seemed to have pretty personal lyrics.

They don't even play SOD and Twat that often anymore --- you'd think if those were two of his favorites then he'd play them live.

Rovin - where/when did he say that? I'm not disputing it, I've just never heard that before.

CD was the first new song they started playing live and was the initial single released, as well as still being played today, and as well as replacing Jungle (the best concert opener of all time, any band) as the song to open every concert with.......I'm guessing it's one of his favorites.

And Madagascar is also one of the songs that Axl debuted years before the album came out.

Sorry seemed to have pretty personal lyrics.

They don't even play SOD and Twat that often anymore --- you'd think if those were two of his favorites then he'd play them live.

It's also about being able to sing them. There Was A Time especially. And he 100% said that in some 2006 interview. Not sure exactly which. They used to play If The World which is pretty difficult to pull off vocally. There are songs on the set list you don't touch, you must play them at every show and then there are switchable songs that have kinda the same function as another batch of songs so you play that instead if that makes sense.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Sold more than 1 million copies in Europe alone within just 3 months of release.

There were some people who claimed at the time of release, that they picked up 10 copies ?

Then there were those that got the CD and the Vinyl.

I wonder what the number is when it comes to, how many people own the record, weather it be 1 or 10 copies.

On top of that, there's the Down-loaders / Free-loaders

Axls favorite he said was TWAT. Supposedly the band wanted Shacklers as a single. Better also got a video and I remember Axl playing in public in 2006 saying the record is coming.

Shacklers

If the World

There was a Time

Catcher

Chi Dem

Better

SOD

Scraped

Sorry

This I Love

All seem like singles.

Edited by wasted