The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

1 minute ago, soon said:

do you have a torch for creme brule?  drink wine then make smores with a torch. easy peasy :) 

i am afraid of those torches! and it kills me cos creme brule is so good. when i was in produce i went out to dinner with some friends and we went to a french restaurant that was one of my accounts. i asked the waitress if Chef Daniel was in and she said yes and he was curious who had asked about him. when he saw me was scolded me that i had not told him at ONCE i was there. he sent out a lovely salad and for dessert he sent out creme brule for all of us. it's funny cos he was sometimes a tad grumpy ( tempermental chefs! ) but he was so sweet that night :) 

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

me too. i can make "rustic desserts" but i tried doing a from scratch cake here and the high altitude did me in :lol:

I once made a steamed Japanese cake - the Japanese do not really use ovens - which had sweet potato in. It was the nicest cake I've ever tasted.

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I once made a steamed Japanese cake - the Japanese do not really use ovens - which had sweet potato in. It was the nicest cake I've ever tasted.

don't the British also make a lot of steamed desserts? i watched that International House Hunters show and it seems a lot of countries in Europe have apartments and houses that do not have ovens. how do you make a roast chicken with no oven? :)

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

don't the British also make a lot of steamed desserts? i watched that International House Hunters show and it seems a lot of countries in Europe have apartments and houses that do not have ovens. how do you make a roast chicken with no oven? :)

We have ovens!! It is basically essential to the culinary tradition here, Yorkshire Puddings, roast chicken, roast potatoes etc.

Well, maybe student type accommodations do not.

• Like 1

We have ovens!! It is basically essential to the culinary tradition here, Yorkshire Puddings, roast chicken, roast potatoes etc.

Well, maybe student type accommodations do not.

wasn't really referring to the UK :)  but i have seen france, italy, all sorts of countries in Europe featured and most of the time there is no oven. i panicked this past Thanksgiving because my oven died. i was thinking am i going to have to BBQ my bird or buy one of those sketchy electric cookers? thank goodness my house was insured for all appliances so i got a brand new beautiful gas stove and Thanksgiving was saved! :P 

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

wasn't really referring to the UK :)  but i have seen france, italy, all sorts of countries in Europe featured and most of the time there is no oven. i panicked this past Thanksgiving because my oven died. i was thinking am i going to have to BBQ my bird or buy one of those sketchy electric cookers? thank goodness my house was insured for all appliances so i got a brand new beautiful gas stove and Thanksgiving was saved! :P 

Probably smaller accommodation in big cities. Old terraced housing.

My mother puts bacon on top of the bird and stuffs the skin with butter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Probably smaller accommodation in big cities. Old terraced housing.

My mother puts bacon on top of the bird and stuffs the skin with butter.

one time i made herbed butter and froze it in small sounds and slipped it under the skin that way. bacon on top sounds so delicious!

9 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

one time i made herbed butter and froze it in small sounds and slipped it under the skin that way. bacon on top sounds so delicious!

There are a lot of recipes for it that way online but there is really nothing to it I believe; you just plonk three or so rashers on top and the pork amalgamates with the skin given off a lovely salty flavour. I think she also stuffs it with an onion or two and a lemon? If it was me and I was cooking Christmas dinner I would probably get wrong for stuffing it with garlic and producing something ''too Frenchified''.

• Like 1

i never stuff my turkey. i did it when i first starting cooking turkey but i grew up with an unstuffed turkey and "dressing", which is basically stuffing that is cooked outside the bird. i have a family recipe that goes back several generations. the only change i have made is fresh sage instead of the powdered...fresh makes it even better :)

oh and yes a lemon in the cavity is good! i also put my turkey on a bed of carrots and celery to make a nice gravy with the drippings.

another good aspect of an unstuffed turkey is the time it takes off the cooking.

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i never stuff my turkey. i did it when i first starting cooking turkey but i grew up with an unstuffed turkey and "dressing", which is basically stuffing that is cooked outside the bird. i have a family recipe that goes back several generations. the only change i have made is fresh sage instead of the powdered...fresh makes it even better :)

oh and yes a lemon in the cavity is good! i also put my turkey on a bed of carrots and celery to make a nice gravy with the drippings.

another good aspect of an unstuffed turkey is the time it takes off the cooking.

My mother does the same thing with the stuffing.

I have a fresh sage plant in my garden.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i have tons of wild sage here but it does not smell like the sage i get in the store! i am not sure it is safe. will have to look that up.

i love fresh herbs. cool that your mom does that! give her my regards :)

It is probably okay you know as long as you know it has not been treated with pesticides or anything.

• Like 1

It is probably okay you know as long as you know it has not been treated with pesticides or anything.

was just checking on it! some say it is ok but others say it has a very bitter taste to it. will have to do some experimenting :) the only thing mine may have been treated with is my dog's pee, but i also have a ton in the back part of my property that he has no access to! 

Not sure if theres any home brewers here.   So, one type of ingredient that one can choose to use to make beer is a powdered malt - dry malt extract (DME).

When cooking if ones looking to braise with beer, could one simply use some DME, hops and water, therefore saving all available beer for drinking?

I always use Special Brew or some kind of strong beer to make stews. I have no idea what I'm doing but I use half to fry beef in with onions/butter, throw in flour, then add carrots, potatoes and tin of tomatoes, boil/simmer for as long as I can. I sometimes use corn flour to thicken, but that makes it heavy. But then just before extraction I pour in half a can of beer. 

What I want to make is suet dumplings. Save that nightmare for winter though. 

I was so hung over when I picked up my father in law today. We went to a mexican restaurant and I had a stiff drink. I've been fine ever since. Now I'm gonna kick myself into feeling awesome. Just remember kids, you can't be hung over if you never stop drinking. :headbang:

On 26/06/2017 at 7:42 PM, arnold layne said:

I have a shit liver. Higher enzymes means my liver has been damaged  (most likely from alcohol).

Bollocks! :lol: You haven't had time to cause actual damage! 

On 7/3/2017 at 4:21 AM, wasted said:

What about mixing meds and alcohol? 

On 7/3/2017 at 1:27 AM, Dazey said:

Bollocks! :lol: You haven't had time to cause actual damage! 

Well there was this specific time at LSU when I was 'throwing up stuff that shouldn't have been thrown up.'

On 7/3/2017 at 4:21 AM, wasted said:

What about mixing meds and alcohol? 

Probably doesn't help either. 

Took a month off and got my blood work done today. See what happens.