The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

my big bad horrid ex drank mai tais....is that a girly drink? :D and i got to see him throw them up all over the merdian right past the restaurant:vomit:

we used to go to a Polynesian place and i loved their Singapore Slings. i have never ever found a place that makes them like those and that placed closed many years ago. i did have the bar manager from the Raffles Hotel in Singapore email me the recipe. i made it once and it was pretty darn close to the one at the place that closed down. but there are a lot of pricey ingredients you need to make it so i have not made them in a while. last one i had was on my bd, went to the Atlantis Oyster Bar. i asked if the bartender knew how to make a real Singapore Sling and he said sure. what was brought to me was gin, grenadine and 7-up in it and it was gross! :thumbsdown:

I drink beer almost exclusively, but I used to order Cuba Libres until I realized it pissed of bar tenders because its basically a rum and coke in a different type of glass and with lime, which you can get anyways.

On the flip side, I know a women from canada who traveled to Ireland and ordered a Guiness.  The bar tender warned her it was heavy and offered a raspberry flavour shoot to help her get it down.  If youre a canadian and drink stouts you will no doubt know that a typical canadian stouts are thick and heavy, with enough grains for three adult breakfasts per pint - often oatmeal.  There some times smoked, sometimes soured with lactic acid, but traditionally always way heavier than guiness.  Similar to the Porter scene in Chicago. With all the breweries opening and being tradition-adverse Ive had some recently the are more like a guiness, but them id just get a guiness.  I digress. 

She replied to the bar keep that the guiness was like water in comparison to stouts she's used to.  And she didnt make any new friends that night :) 

17 minutes ago, soon said:

I drink beer almost exclusively, but I used to order Cuba Libres until I realized it pissed of bar tenders because its basically a rum and coke in a different type of glass and with lime, which you can get anyways.

On the flip side, I know a women from canada who traveled to Ireland and ordered a Guiness.  The bar tender warned her it was heavy and offered a raspberry flavour shoot to help her get it down.  If youre a canadian and drink stouts you will no doubt know that a typical canadian stouts are thick and heavy, with enough grains for three adult breakfasts per pint - often oatmeal.  There some times smoked, sometimes soured with lactic acid, but traditionally always way heavier than guiness.  Similar to the Porter scene in Chicago. With all the breweries opening and being tradition-adverse Ive had some recently the are more like a guiness, but them id just get a guiness.  I digress. 

She replied to the bar keep that the guiness was like water in comparison to stouts she's used to.  And she didnt make any new friends that night :) 

I've heard of bartenders in Ireland sometimes cutting Guinness with ginger ale for foreigners since it's so heavy over there. I haven't ever seen that in practice, but I've heard it from multiple people. 

But I like my Guinness exactly as it comes out of the tap ;) 

6 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I've heard of bartenders in Ireland sometimes cutting Guinness with ginger ale for foreigners since it's so heavy over there. I haven't ever seen that in practice, but I've heard it from multiple people. 

But I like my Guinness exactly as it comes out of the tap ;) 

oh, you mean the guiness in ireland is heavier then the exported guiness?  I had no idea!  

I love a good guiness too, the froth is exquisite 

2 minutes ago, soon said:

oh, you mean the guiness in ireland is heavier then the exported guiness?  I had no idea!  

It's a bit thicker, yeah. I don't notice a huge difference, but a lot of people do comment on the difference when you get it in Ireland as opposed to getting it abroad. 

7 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

It's a bit thicker, yeah. I don't notice a huge difference, but a lot of people do comment on the difference when you get it in Ireland as opposed to getting it abroad. 

It didnt sound like my friend noticed much difference either.  But that probably just didnt make as good of a story.  Or maybe she was denied service for the comment!  

9 hours ago, soon said:

Outside of Ireland you best buy Guiness in cans. There's a plastic ball inside it which makes the froth almost like fresh on tap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Guiness Export here seems a bit stronger in bottle form, 6%?

The Foreign Extra is a higher ABV - there's a few different versions, but it's usually between 6% and 7.5%. The bottled/canned Draught is the regular 4.3% everywhere. And then the US and Canada have the Foreign Extra, which is 5%. Those are the most common Guinness beers, then you've got all the Brewer's Project series like the Dublin Porter, American Lager, Milk Stout, etc. It's worth noting that Draught is the only one that comes nitro, whether it's bottled or on tap - everything else is a CO2 base like most beers. 

I like my Guinness in case it isn't apparent :) 

Just now, Powerage5 said:

The Foreign Extra is a higher ABV - there's a few different versions, but it's usually between 6% and 7.5%. The bottled/canned Draught is the regular 4.3% everywhere. And then the US and Canada have the Foreign Extra, which is 5%. Those are the most common Guinness beers, then you've got all the Brewer's Project series like the Dublin Porter, American Lager, Milk Stout, etc. It's worth noting that Draught is the only one that comes nitro, whether it's bottled or on tap - everything else is a CO2 base like most beers. 

I like my Guinness in case it isn't apparent :) 

I remember a few Guinness ice colds that drank at the top. But I prefer Murphy's for a session. Caffery's while not a stout makes my head beat to the sound of the drum. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

I remember a few Guinness ice colds that drank at the top. But I prefer Murphy's for a session. Caffery's while not a stout makes my head beat to the sound of the drum. 

Ice Cold is basically the same as Draught, don't know why it's branded differently. I do really like Murphy's too - it's a bit sweeter than Guinness. 

4 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Ice Cold is basically the same as Draught, don't know why it's branded differently. I do really like Murphy's too - it's a bit sweeter than Guinness. 

On pint 8 that sweetness counts. I won a guinness t shirt once. Only thing I ever won. You hear that. 5 pints of Guinness in an hour. Just another day at the office. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zurimor said:

Outside of Ireland you best buy Guiness in cans. There's a plastic ball inside it which makes the froth almost like fresh on tap.

Oh, cool!  Thanks for the tip!  I think I noticed one of those is a Kilkenny or the like and wondered what was going on