The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

Apart from the Welsh and Icelanders strutting their funky stuff, and bits and bobs here and there, the standard of football has been incredibly poor. This has certainly possessed the most diabolical substandard level of football I have ever seen and I've watched every World Cup/Euro beginning with Italia '90! I cannot count the number of times I have fallen asleep half-way through a Euro 2016 match - Portugal are a particularly good cure for insomnia. There was one match, Germany v Italy, which was so hysterically bad that I went for a bath at the commencement of extra time on the certain understanding that there would not be a single shot on target - least of all a goal - before penalties. I was correct in that assumption! 120 mins and I do not believe either a German or an Italian had a single shot on target!

Neither team wouldn't have scored if there wasn't a shot on target. Given my team was in the match I thought it was engrossing, but it certainly was a tactical duel. And we just didn't have the players in midfield who could do anything meaningful with the ball.

International tournament standard is below club football, say watching the Champions League. That's to be expected as these guys are together for such a short time. What it gives is drama and a month of game after game.

Wales returning as 'heroes'? They've never won anything!! Not a sausage!! They never even obtained a final!!

Understand it is not a criticism of Wales who have played spectacularly, but the idea of cheering 'heroic failure'. Heroic failure? Gallant warriors falling at the last hurdle (or should I say penultimate hurdle)? Gallant stock of the British Isles. It is a British phenomenon, e.g. Tim Henman, the Battle of Rourke's Drift. England did similar after Italia '90 and look where that got England? Wales should be proud but a little aggrieved after losing a game they certainly should have won.

20 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

It really is a shit-age in European football, a bunch of overly defensive teams all trying to counter each other, no more free-flowing forward facing attacking football.

I think they shouln't have group games. Straight knock out, no extra time bcos teams plan to play for 120 minutes. 

Also there should be a 35 yard line that defences have to hold until ball crosses it. Defending from 18 yard line has to end. 

I do like an initial group stage however I do not think the extended competition has worked: too many defensive minnows and a confusing (3rd ranked) qualification system. Sixteen teams seems the perfect amount.

Edited by DieselDaisy

If the teams came out and played but the whole thing just encourages defensive hackers. 

And then real teams face each other there's extra time and penslties. So everything leads to defensiveness. 

Even France Germany those were non goals, a peno and rebound. 

Wales had that Robson-Kanu goal. There just hasn't been that much actual football played and good goals few and far between. Teams with attacking set ups can't score against parked buses. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Pakistan. I ready with a crate of IPA and cucumber sandwiches. 

I thought cricket was meant to be boring? Every night I sit down to a Euro match hyped up as a 'thriller' only to fall asleep by half time; I usually wake up around pens to discover the whole match has been excruciatingly dull - discovered by the comments from Shearer and co.

Portugal really deserve this win as they have out Euroed (2016) everyone else, with dull defensive tedium.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I thought cricket was meant to be boring? Every night I sit down to a Euro match hyped up as a 'thriller' only to fall asleep by half time; I usually wake up around pens to discover the whole match has been excruciatingly dull - discovered by the comments from Shearer and co.

Portugal really deserve this win as they have out Euroed (2016) everyone else, with dull defensive tedium.

No ones playing free flowing attacking football these days. 

I watch snooker, I can take boring. I just need the time to get invested in it. Like smoking, you need to be addicted to enjoy it. 

40 minutes ago, wasted said:

No ones playing free flowing attacking football these days. 

I watch snooker, I can take boring. I just need the time to get invested in it. Like smoking, you need to be addicted to enjoy it. 

We have a good month of cricket to enjoy - proper sport - before the inevitable tedium of Wenger-gate, and transfer-gate, resurface.

PS

We also have another England Manger-gate, which should be about as fun as a cock up the arse.

Edited by DieselDaisy

They really shouldn't get Klinsman. Just get Harry or Sam and have a go. But the FA don't care they just want success. 

I definitely enjoyed playing sport more than watching sport but once youre knackered you're knackered. 

Bummer that ronaldo is out so soon but I like quaresma a bit better anyways.

nothing against ronaldo, but seeing him cry just now gave me flashbacks of when he cried the last time he was in a euro final (2004). Some things never change, I suppose.