The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

15 minutes ago, Graeme said:

No.

And probably Ikechi Anya, although going on last Wednesday night's performance, Allan McGregor was probably the star of the show. We won again tonight, proving that we can show sufficient promise when it doesn't count to provide us with the gut-wrenching hope when it does...

Do you think that the Old Firm domination of the Scottish league could be holding the national team back? Scotland has had GREAT players over the years (Dalglish, Souness, Hansen) and lots of not great but still very good (McCoist etc), but the league being basically a formality cannot be good for the national side in the long run.

Edited by PappyTron

32 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Do you think that the Old Firm domination of the Scottish league could be holding the national team back? Scotland has had GREAT players over the years (Dalglish, Souness, Hansen) and lots of not great but still very good (McCoist etc), but the league being basically a formality cannot be good for the national side in the long run.

Well, we've had 3 years without the Old Firm and things seem to have worsened at a club level, Celtic haven't become the unassailable powerhouse it was expected they would be in the absence of Rangers. Of course, they've still been runaway favourites and have won the league by 16, 29 and 18 points respectively, but in the cups, they've been there for the taking (they've only won two since 2012 and with Rangers looking likely to be promoted this season, they're very unlikely to win a treble before the opportunity to do so without a challenge from Rangers has passed). They're only 5 points clear of Aberdeen in the Premier League this year, they've lost quite a few of their star players and their performances in Europe have worsened (although I'm generally not fussed about seeing them win, it is annoying that their performances fuck the coefficient up for the rest of Scotland). It has been great for some of the smaller teams, getting the chance to play in Europe, or in the case of Ross County getting their first piece of domestic silverware despite being the smallest club in the Premiership...

The bottom line is that by getting rid of one of the two teams who could still seriously compete at a European level (in the past Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. definitely could as well), the standard of club competition in the whole country seems to have dropped, so if we follow the correlation, it wouldn't seem that getting rid of this supposed 'stranglehold' over the game has permitted it to flourish in a way it would not have managed otherwise. Although I would take into consideration the fact that the biggest fanbase in the country still supports Rangers and maybe if the Old Firm were somehow done away with and their support were thence equitably redistributed among the other teams then things might be different.

Conversely, the national team are the strongest they've been in years, they've mounted respectable challenges against good sides (we've beaten Croatia home and away, and we definitely gave Germany a game both times we played them) ultimately it was a slip up against Georgia which cost us in the 2016 Euro qualifiers. I don't know if it's down to competent management by Gordon Strachan or whether his predecessors were just so horribly incompetent that he looks comparatively great, but I'm optimistic about the World Cup Qualifiers.

33 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Well, we've had 3 years without the Old Firm and things seem to have worsened at a club level, Celtic haven't become the unassailable powerhouse it was expected they would be in the absence of Rangers. Of course, they've still been runaway favourites and have won the league by 16, 29 and 18 points respectively, but in the cups, they've been there for the taking (they've only won two since 2012 and with Rangers looking likely to be promoted this season, they're very unlikely to win a treble before the opportunity to do so without a challenge from Rangers has passed). They're only 5 points clear of Aberdeen in the Premier League this year, they've lost quite a few of their star players and their performances in Europe have worsened (although I'm generally not fussed about seeing them win, it is annoying that their performances fuck the coefficient up for the rest of Scotland). It has been great for some of the smaller teams, getting the chance to play in Europe, or in the case of Ross County getting their first piece of domestic silverware despite being the smallest club in the Premiership...

The bottom line is that by getting rid of one of the two teams who could still seriously compete at a European level (in the past Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. definitely could as well), the standard of club competition in the whole country seems to have dropped, so if we follow the correlation, it wouldn't seem that getting rid of this supposed 'stranglehold' over the game has permitted it to flourish in a way it would not have managed otherwise. Although I would take into consideration the fact that the biggest fanbase in the country still supports Rangers and maybe if the Old Firm were somehow done away with and their support were thence equitably redistributed among the other teams then things might be different.

Conversely, the national team are the strongest they've been in years, they've mounted respectable challenges against good sides (we've beaten Croatia home and away, and we definitely gave Germany a game both times we played them) ultimately it was a slip up against Georgia which cost us in the 2016 Euro qualifiers. I don't know if it's down to competent management by Gordon Strachan or whether his predecessors were just so horribly incompetent that he looks comparatively great, but I'm optimistic about the World Cup Qualifiers.

Ah yes, I forgot that Rangers basically went tits up. Was it for fraud or was it just financial mismanagement? Either way, it says a lot when a team of that size can have such a problem. Talking of Rangers (well, Celtic now, I suppose), is there still chatter of wanting to try and play in the Premiere League rather than in Scotland? Maybe 5, 10 years ago both Rangers and Celtic were desperate to play in England because the gap in finances is simply so vast, but they were always pooh-poohed.

I guess if Rangers come back up to reignite that rivalry, and maybe a couple of the other teams can step up their level then there could be more competition which should, in theory, strengthen the national team. I just hope that it doesn't go back to Rangers and Celtic more points ahead of the team in 3rd than the 3rd team is ahead of the bottom team, because that wouldn't be good for anyone either.

It seems that the Scottish national team in in a similar position to England then; able to give the best teams a good game more often that not, but not quite able to step up for that final hurdle in results/quality.

On 30/03/2016 at 2:08 AM, PappyTron said:

Ah yes, I forgot that Rangers basically went tits up. Was it for fraud or was it just financial mismanagement? Either way, it says a lot when a team of that size can have such a problem. Talking of Rangers (well, Celtic now, I suppose), is there still chatter of wanting to try and play in the Premiere League rather than in Scotland? Maybe 5, 10 years ago both Rangers and Celtic were desperate to play in England because the gap in finances is simply so vast, but they were always pooh-poohed.

I guess if Rangers come back up to reignite that rivalry, and maybe a couple of the other teams can step up their level then there could be more competition which should, in theory, strengthen the national team. I just hope that it doesn't go back to Rangers and Celtic more points ahead of the team in 3rd than the 3rd team is ahead of the bottom team, because that wouldn't be good for anyone either.

It seems that the Scottish national team in in a similar position to England then; able to give the best teams a good game more often that not, but not quite able to step up for that final hurdle in results/quality.

They are a sort of poorer version of England, and England are fairly poor so that is how poor Scotland are. All of the British Isles teams are awful, absolute cack. The difference with England is they are usually just about good enough to be in the tournaments (they usually qualify easily in fact), and more often or not make the quarters before choking in an usually hilarious fashion. The other four are usually absent altogether with a few exceptions (Scotland in the '70s; Jack Charlton's Republic in the '90s).

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

They are a sort of poorer version of England, and England are fairly poor so that is how poor Scotland are. All of the British Isles teams are awful, absolute cack. The difference with England is they are usually just about good enough to be in the tournaments (they usually qualify easily in fact), and more often or not make the quarters before choking in an usually hilarious fashion. The other four are usually absent altogether with a few exceptions (Scotland in the '70s; Jack Charlton's Republic in the '90s).

Aren't Wales like 5th in the world or something equally silly? :lol:

1 minute ago, PappyTron said:

Aren't Wales like 5th in the world or something equally silly? :lol:

Wales and the two Irelands are doing well so in a sense this year is the exception to what I said above. Good year across the board for the British Isles teams. Poor olde Scotland though.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Wales and the two Irelands are doing well so in a sense this year is the exception to what I said above. Good year across the board for the British Isles teams. Poor olde Scotland though.

Actually, it seems that Wales are 17th; I honestly thought that they were much higher. That being said, Belgium, the world's most boring place, is number 1! In the meantime, Scotland are one place behind Iran

Edited by PappyTron

1 minute ago, PappyTron said:

Actually, it seems that Wales are 17th; I honestly thought that they were much higher. That being said, Belgium, the world's most boring place, is number 1! In the meantime, Scotland are one place behind Iran

Scotland are truly awful. Didn't they draw with the Faroe Islands? I once read that the entire population of the Faroe Islands is less than Hampden Park's capacity! I do not know what really happened to Scottish football after the '90s McCoist era when they were competitive and in the Euros and '98 world cup. In the '70s they were better than England, Hanson, Dalgish etc.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Scotland are truly awful. Didn't they draw with the Faroe Islands? I once read that the entire population of the Faroe Islands is less than Hampden Park's capacity! I do not know what really happened to Scottish football after the '90s McCoist era when they were competitive and in the Euros and '98 world cup. In the '70s they were better than England, Hanson, Dalgish etc.

Funnily enough, Hansen hardly ever played for Scotland (less than 30 times in total) despite being one of the best defenders in the world.

That's some serious Soul Glo he's got going on in his hair.

You know, Arsenal Fans TV did a video "Ten Managers that we hate" with Robbie sitting down, so I left I comment saying that he's got a big ol' pair of titties and someone told me to "grow up". :lol:

• Like 1

:lol:

He does have a sizeable pair of norks though eh? :lol:  His eyes look mash up don't they?  Rockys i mean.  Probably out with Merse and OHHHHH TONY TONY the night before :lol:  Dicko and Bouldie as the designated drivers and thus restricted to just the 8 pints and two lines of charlie before take off.

Edited by Len B'stard

3 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

He could probably practise his keepey uppey skills on em if he weren't too fat to do keepey uppey, in which case i suppose he wouldn't have them to start with.  Life cruel innit? :lol:

It's like a paradox, innit!

4 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Left back in the turnstiles cuz his arse got jammed :lol:  Moh bringing him hotdogs at half time, Bully carrying them for him cuz they ain't halal :lol:

Best fans' Youtube channel, by far; all of them are a scream. Did you see Dazey in the Man City video I posted? :lol: