2016 National Football League (NFL) Regular Season

Ace Nova

The court's opinion said nothing about Brady being innocent. Goodell had a witch hunt out for him (and denied Brady a fair chance to defend himself), which is why the suspension was overturned.

Between Brady curbing the rules and 'Spygate', I still consider that organization shady.

Really?

So you agree with Roger

No, and at no point did I even hint that I did. I agree that Roger had a witch hunt out for Brady (hence why I said that).

And the zero evidence thing is bullshit. They had evidence of calls and texts between Brady and "The Deflator", just because they don't have the direct link (doesn't help that Brady destroyed his phone) doesn't mean that he's innocent.

And if not for the catchy nickname then Spygate would barely be remembered. You should go back and read up on what their actual violation was. You might be surprised at what their actual violation was.

Assuming things again, I see. Considering I'm a fan of professional football I'll always remember Spygate, regardless of whether or not the name was catchy. And I don't need to read up on the violation because I remember what is was.

If you think the Pats are doing anything different than what every nfl team is - you really are a crazy man.

Again with the assumptions. Did I say anywhere that the Pats were the only team curbing the rules? No. However, it is interesting that, despite the close friendship between Goodell and Kraft (at least before Deflategate), the Patriots were the only team to be punished for their violations?

The Seahawks got nailed for salary cap violations. Have numerous guys get suspended for steroids, and their coach is a known college cheat - are they a shady team?

So did the Cowboys and Redskins a few years back. They were penalized for it and haven't violated it since. All times have PED abusers, it's why testing has become more strict in the past few years. And yes, I think Pete Carroll is shady too.

Jerry Rice said he used an illegal substance for his career to make his hands stickier to catch footballs. A substance that was BANNED by the nfl. Is he a shady player? Is his legacy tarnished???

Tarnished? No. But it is negatively effected by that admission. Same with this and Spygate for Brady. (Especially for Rice though as he blatantly lied about using stickum - even joking about it in this article from '93)

Several nfl quarterbacks have said they had their equipment guys tamper with the balls.

I know, my quarterback was one of them (and ironically it was reported during a game vs. the Pats in the last season). That being said, all of the game balls passed the inspection and there's never been any indication otherwise. Brad Johnson admitting that he did it during the Super Bowl tarnishes that victory for the Bucs, even though it wasn't needed considering the defense they had. Otherwise all of the QB's who have said that have sucked and clearly did not get any extra benefit from doing it.

Sigh. People will always hate the Patriots. No matter what the real evidence is. And just ignore all the crap that other nfl teams do.

I nothing the Patriots. Don't care if they win or lose, however I do care that they play within the rules and considering they've been caught (and punished) several times in the recent past for violating the rules of the game (of which they accepted the penalties for), their legacy during the Belichick era is under question, at least for me.

That goes for any team that routinely cheats the system, not just the Pats.

Thank you for the detailed response. I don't agree with all of it, but it's nice to see somebody posting with some thought instead of the usual quick fire people normally do.

I could be wrong, but isn't this only the Pats second thing in the past decade (or longer)? Spygate was abusing a rule that was actually legal to do until that year. And wasn't it just a matter of using audio while recording the other team? You could record, just not use audio. And I think Jimmy Johnson said that every team in the league did it, the Pats just got caught.

Then this ball thing last year. Which essentially now just looks like at most a couple trainers made a bad decision. If that even happened at all

That's hardly a legacy of cheating for an organization.

In a league where the best receiver of all time admits to cheating, every team has players suspended for PEDs, other quarterbacks admit to tampering with balls, linemen use to plaster their forearms up to crack opponents in the head, teams get nailed for violating salary cap rules, Pete Carroll is hailed as a hero even though he is a pos.........really, I think that the only reason the Pats are considered cheaters is because 1. They keep winning Super Bowls. 2. Bill is a prick, he isn't a good old boy ass kisser in interviews and 3. The cute nicknames given to their two offenses. Spygate snd deflategate. If those two things had happened to a good old boy like Jimmy Johnson or to a qb on a losing team - nobody would care.

But in case in missing something, has their been other incidences by the Patriots over the last 20 years than the last two things?

You won't catch me defending the Patriots as an Eagles fan...ever. We lost the Super Bowl to them by 3 freaking points in the middle of their "spy gate" years. I was at the game and couldn't understand how their defense seemed to know the exact plays that were coming by the time the ball was snapped...made no sense at the time but in hindsight...it does.

They basically robbed the city of Philadelphia a Super Bowl trophy...no way they win that game without cheating.

It wasn't Spygate "years" - as the rule just took effect that season. So nine months prior every team was doing the exact same thing. Including Philly.

And it wasn't like the Pats were able to know - in those seconds before each play - exactly what play the Eagles were going to run.

If the Pats knew what plays the Eagles were going to run, does that mean the year before that the eagles always knew what plays their opponents were going to run?

zach vigil made the dolphins 53 man roster which is cool, the guy really showed some promise in camp and in the preseason. he was undrafted because of his size kind of like another player named zach that played for the dolphins....

Thank you for the detailed response. I don't agree with all of it, but it's nice to see somebody posting with some thought instead of the usual quick fire people normally do.

I could be wrong, but isn't this only the Pats second thing in the past decade (or longer)? Spygate was abusing a rule that was actually legal to do until that year. And wasn't it just a matter of using audio while recording the other team? You could record, just not use audio. And I think Jimmy Johnson said that every team in the league did it, the Pats just got caught.

Then this ball thing last year. Which essentially now just looks like at most a couple trainers made a bad decision. If that even happened at all

That's hardly a legacy of cheating for an organization.

In a league where the best receiver of all time admits to cheating, every team has players suspended for PEDs, other quarterbacks admit to tampering with balls, linemen use to plaster their forearms up to crack opponents in the head, teams get nailed for violating salary cap rules, Pete Carroll is hailed as a hero even though he is a pos.........really, I think that the only reason the Pats are considered cheaters is because 1. They keep winning Super Bowls. 2. Bill is a prick, he isn't a good old boy ass kisser in interviews and 3. The cute nicknames given to their two offenses. Spygate snd deflategate. If those two things had happened to a good old boy like Jimmy Johnson or to a qb on a losing team - nobody would care.

Indeed. I like having debates with people, it brings a little excitement to the forum.

The reason I don't trust the Pats is that they either do what every other team does and just happen to get caught more often or they actually are curbing the rules more than the other teams and get caught doing so. I happen to think it's the latter.

What the Pats have been known to do that other teams also do, like not putting injured players on the injury report (and vice versa, or putting different injuries instead) is something more in line with "this is wrong, but everyone else is doing it anyway". Deflating footballs (which, in addition to Brady's preference for throwing the ball, has allowed them to hold onto the ball way more than every other team) and 'spying' on opposing teams and their signals are more of a competitive advantage, and something that I consider closer to cheating than to playing by the rules. I'd rather the Pats 'exploit' the rules by using the formations they did against the Ravens in the playoffs (something that's 100% legal) rather than deflating footballs and spying on opposing teams.

Brady and Belichick are certainly divisive characters, whether fair or unfair, and that's probably what leads to the brunt of the backlash they receive. Agreed with the fact that if this was going on with the Jags or some terrible team it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

But in case in missing something, has their been other incidences by the Patriots over the last 20 years than the last two things?

I know it's not like a huge PED suspension where the whole team cheats constantly or something, but what other team has faced such accusations and penalties during that time? If all the other teams are doing this stuff, why haven't they been caught/penalized for it? I know Goodell particularly had it out for Brady this time, but it doesn't change the fact that Brady still did it, or "was at least generally aware". I honestly cannot think of the last 'cheating' scandal in the NFL (that related specifically to playing the game).

spygate looks even worse when one of your players basically says "an hour before game time we would get the other teams audibles on a sheet, not sure how we got them but they were there"

ted johnson was a beloved player who now is like public enemy #1 in new england. the thing with spygate is the general public will never get to see the full scale of what the patriots were doing since the evidence was destroyed right away. i think this is why goodell went hard on brady, since goodell helped the patriots cover up the last fuck up and gave them a light sentence that didnt hurt them at all, if he did that again he would really be fucked. i think he felt brady would take it(remember kraft said they wouldnt fight the penalties originally) would probably sit out the opener.

then you have the things about bugging locker rooms, coaches headsets not working, players radios in their helmets not working. is it true? is it in players heads? is it jealousy of being beaten? no one really knows unless someone in later years comes out and admits it. some prominent players have said they felt shady stuff but who knows.

like crazy said if this is a wide problem that everyone has spies with cameras in the crowd and locker room attendants deflating footballs why on earth hasnt anyone else been busted?

Edited by bran

spygate looks even worse when one of your players basically says "an hour before game time we would get the other teams audibles on a sheet, not sure how we got them but they were there"

ted johnson was a beloved player who now is like public enemy #1 in new england. the thing with spygate is the general public will never get to see the full scale of what the patriots were doing since the evidence was destroyed right away. i think this is why goodell went hard on brady, since goodell helped the patriots cover up the last fuck up and gave them a light sentence that didnt hurt them at all, if he did that again he would really be fucked. i think he felt brady would take it(remember kraft said they wouldnt fight the penalties originally) would probably sit out the opener.

then you have the things about bugging locker rooms, coaches headsets not working, players radios in their helmets not working. is it true? is it in players heads? is it jealousy of being beaten? no one really knows unless someone in later years comes out and admits it. some prominent players have said they felt shady stuff but who knows.

like crazy said if this is a wide problem that everyone has spies with cameras in the crowd and locker room attendants deflating footballs why on earth hasnt anyone else been busted?

Interesting points.

Obviously a lot that can't be proven

But that stuff happens everywhere. Everybody in my town thinks that our main rival town are all arrogant pricks who cheat and whose hometown officials always cheat our boys.

The Pats win a lot and have a jerk for a coach. Naturally non Patriot fans will think the organization is evil.

I think they push the rules to the limit. But doubt they "cheat" more than any other team. People use to hate her Raiders. Then the Cowboys. Now the Pats. People rarely hate teams that lose.

• Like 1

Crazy - per our disagreement on Tebow last week.

Yes he definitely hasn't lived up to being a first round pick.

My issue with you bashing him for it was because the guy hasn't stuck with a team because his skill set hasn't been strong enough - which isn't his fault.

From all reports he is an extremely hard worker, memorized the play book and is a great teammate. Tebow gave it 100% in practice and in games.

A guy like Ryan Leaf failed because he was an arrogant prick who cared more about drinking and partying than he did practicing and playing. And his behavior and piss poor attitude alienated teammates.

I don't blame Tebow for being a bust, because the guy always leaves everything he has on the field. The "bust" part would be attached to the team that chose to use a first round pick on him. They made the mistake.

Bust applies directly to Ryan Leaf - who put forth about 50% effort.

Does that make sense? Hopefully I'm explaining my point correctly.

I didn't really bash him though, I just pointed out the fact that he's not a good NFL QB. If I bashed Tebow then I also bashed Matt Flynn on the same page, and Flynn was a better QB.

But to say Tebow isn't a bust? He's a first round pick who couldn't complete 50% of his passes in an era where anything less than 60% is laughed at. He's certainly a bust - it doesn't matter whether it's due to lack of effort or skill, he was drafted high and ended up not being a good NFL player, aka a bust. I'd rather have a high character guy who gives 100% like Tebow on my team (provided he never sees the field at QB) than a locker room cancer with some natural talent, but it doesn't change the fact that he busted because he couldn't produce on the field.

The problem with Tebow is that he's more famous for the off-the-field stuff. Thankfully it's a positive thing and Tebow seems like a good person/role model, but it's a circus wherever he goes because of it. What other 4th string QB in a training camp gets nearly that much press coverage? Matt Blanchard, former 4th string QB for the Packers who went to my alma mater of UW-Whitewater, went undefeated for 3 years and won 3 championships (in division 3, but still) in college while completing 70% of his passes, looked good in training camp and in the preseason, etc - where's the national media coverage on him?

I get the appeal over other busts like Leaf or JaWalrus Russell, but it doesn't change the fact that he sucked as an NFL QB.

I didn't really bash him though, I just pointed out the fact that he's not a good NFL QB. If I bashed Tebow then I also bashed Matt Flynn on the same page, and Flynn was a better QB.

But to say Tebow isn't a bust? He's a first round pick who couldn't complete 50% of his passes in an era where anything less than 60% is laughed at. He's certainly a bust - it doesn't matter whether it's due to lack of effort or skill, he was drafted high and ended up not being a good NFL player, aka a bust. I'd rather have a high character guy who gives 100% like Tebow on my team (provided he never sees the field at QB) than a locker room cancer with some natural talent, but it doesn't change the fact that he busted because he couldn't produce on the field.

The problem with Tebow is that he's more famous for the off-the-field stuff. Thankfully it's a positive thing and Tebow seems like a good person/role model, but it's a circus wherever he goes because of it. What other 4th string QB in a training camp gets nearly that much press coverage? Matt Blanchard, former 4th string QB for the Packers who went to my alma mater of UW-Whitewater, went undefeated for 3 years and won 3 championships (in division 3, but still) in college while completing 70% of his passes, looked good in training camp and in the preseason, etc - where's the national media coverage on him?

I get the appeal over other busts like Leaf or JaWalrus Russell, but it doesn't change the fact that he sucked as an NFL QB.

But why blame Tebow for the media? He doesn't control what they do. It's not his fault that Espn covers His every move and they ignore Blanchard.

And Tebow didn't totally suck. He had a winning record as a starter. Won a playoff game. Threw for twice as many TDs as INTs.

Has he been a busy in terms of a team using a first round pick on him? Yes.

But has his career been a bust? Absolutely not. You can't blame a player for what round he was drafted in. That's usually the team's fault.

Half of all first round picks don't make it in the nfl. In terms of value attached to contracts - second round picks are better value for a team than first round picks.

Packers sign James Jones and cut White.

I think it is a great pick up and I expect Jones to contribute but sad to see White cut for a third time after he worked so hard to make the team.

My FF draft is tonight. I swung a trade and now have the 2nd and 11th pick in the first round so should be able to get two stud players.

• Like 1

I think it is a great pick up and I expect Jones to contribute but sad to see White cut for a third time after he worked so hard to make the team.

My FF draft is tonight. I swung a trade and now have the 2nd and 11th pick in the first round so should be able to get two stud players.

i agree its a great pickup by the packers, guy had 14 touchdowns just 3 years ago, already has a comfort level with rodgers, plus you know he is going to come in with a chip on his shoulders.

• Like 1

i agree its a great pickup by the packers, guy had 14 touchdowns just 3 years ago, already has a comfort level with rodgers, plus you know he is going to come in with a chip on his shoulders.

He is a possession receiver and should be a nice target once they get into the redzone as they struggled a little punching it in at times. Nelson was a huge loss but they have the talent to make up for it IMHO.

• Like 1

But why blame Tebow for the media? He doesn't control what they do. It's not his fault that Espn covers His every move and they ignore Blanchard.

And Tebow didn't totally suck. He had a winning record as a starter. Won a playoff game. Threw for twice as many TDs as INTs.

Has he been a busy in terms of a team using a first round pick on him? Yes.

But has his career been a bust? Absolutely not. You can't blame a player for what round he was drafted in. That's usually the team's fault.

Half of all first round picks don't make it in the nfl. In terms of value attached to contracts - second round picks are better value for a team than first round picks.

It takes two to tango in regards to the media. While players like Manziel are famous for partying and being flamboyant, Tebow is famous for his overt support for his faith, both on and off the field. It's divisive, whether he likes it or not. The media latches on to it because of that.

Yes, Tebow sucks. If he doesn't suck why can't he complete 50% of his passes? Why couldn't he beat out Mark Sanchez in NY? Why did he sit out for 2 years? Why is his career over at 28? Because he sucks in the NFL as a Quarterback. He had a winning record as a starter because the Broncos defense and special teams saved him numerous times that season.

Yes, Tebow is a bust. He was drafted 25th overall and hasn't made a roster since 2012, when he played sparingly for the Jets, at the age of 25. He's started 14 games in his career. His career did not end because of injuries, he's not lazy, good locker room presence, etc. His career ended because he's not a good football player. He's a bust. And yes I can 'blame' a player for what round he was drafted in. Tebow had one of the most prolific college careers ever, aka the reason he was drafted in the first round. Any first round pick that doesn't pan out is a bust. Datone Jones, Packers first round pick in 2013? Bust so far. Nick Perry, Packers first round pick in 2012? Bust so far. Both picked later than Tebow in the draft, both are busts. It's the way it goes.

Half the first rounders who don't make it in the NFL, and the reasoning isn't injuries is a bust. Plain and simple.

19/32 teams have taken precautions to combat patriots cheating.......

like i said a couple of days ago goodell covering up the bulk of spygate and cleaning up the patriots mess IE destroying the evidence led to him going after the patriots this time.

"Goodell had imposed a $500,000 fine of Belichick, a $250,000 fine of the team and the loss of a first-round draft pick just four days after league security officials had caught the Patriots and before he'd even sent a team of investigators to Foxborough, Massachusetts. Those investigators hadn't come up empty: Inside a room accessible only to Belichick and a few others, they found a library of scouting material containing videotapes of opponents' signals, with detailed notes matching signals to plays for many teams going back seven seasons. Among them were handwritten diagrams of the defensive signals of the Pittsburgh Steelers, including the notes used in the January 2002 AFC Championship Game won by the Patriots 24-17. Yet almost as quickly as the tapes and notes were found, they were destroyed"

my favorites:

"Days before the Tampa Bay game, in Belichick's office, Friesz was told that the Patriots had a tape of the Bucs' signals. He was instructed to memorize them, and during the game, to watch Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and tell Weis the defensive play, which Weis would relay over the radio headset system to quarterback Drew Bledsoe. That Sunday against the Bucs, Walsh later told investigators, the Patriots played more no-huddle than usual, forcing Kiffin to signal in plays quickly, allowing Weis sufficient time to relay the information. Years later, some Patriots coaches would point to the score -- a 21-16 Bucs win -- as evidence of Spygate's ineffectiveness. But as Walsh later told investigators, Friesz, who did not respond to messages to comment for this story, told Walsh after the game that the Patriots knew 75 percent of the Bucs' defenses before the snap."

"Several former Patriots coaches and employees alleged that the team would send “low-level” employees into opposing locker rooms during pre-game warm-ups to “steal play sheets” from teams which scripted their offenses.The report also says the team would send employees to “rummage through the visiting team hotel for playbooks or scouting reports.”
Such tactics were apparently suspected by other teams, who would leave dummy play sheets sitting around in hopes of throwing the Patriots off their trails."
low level employees..........
everyone should read the article but hopefully no one minds me posting some of my favorite quotes, i figured it would be good for people who may not be able to read the whole article right now.
Edited by bran

"Walsh recalled to Senate investigators that Adams(belichicks friend who no one knew what he did and only answered to belichick) told old stories from the Browns about giving a video staffer an NFL Films shirt and assigning him to film the opponents' sideline huddles and grease boards from behind the bench"

"During games, Adams sat in the coaches' box, with binoculars and notes of decoded signals, wearing a headset with a direct audio line to Belichick. Whenever Adams saw an opposing coach's signal he recognized, he'd say something like, "Watch for the Two Deep Blitz," and either that information was relayed to Brady or a play designed specifically to exploit the defense was called. A former Patriots employee who was directly involved in the taping system says "it helped our offense a lot," especially in divisional games in which there was a short amount of time between the first and second matchups, making it harder for opposing coaches to change signals."

"At Gillette Stadium, the scrambling and jamming of the opponents' coach-to-quarterback radio line -- "small s---" that many teams do, according to a former Pats assistant coach -- occurred so often that one team asked a league official to sit in the coaches' box during the game and wait for it to happen. Sure enough, on a key third down, the headset went out."

"During the walk-through, the Rams had also practiced some of their newly designed red zone plays. When they ran the same plays late in the Super Bowl's fourth quarter, the Patriots' defense was in position on nearly every down. On one new play, quarterback Kurt Warner rolled to his right and turned to throw to Faulk in the flat, where three Patriots defenders were waiting. On the sideline, Rams coach Mike Martz was stunned. He was famous for his imaginative, unpredictable plays, and now it was as if the Patriots knew what was coming on plays that had never been run before. The Patriots' game plan had called for a defender to hit Faulk on every down, as a means of eliminating him, but one coach who worked with an assistant on that 2001 Patriots team says that the ex-Pats assistant coach once bragged that New England knew exactly what the Rams would call in the red zone. "He'd say, 'A little birdie told us,'" the coach says now"

"Martz says now that he returned Goodell's call from the 49ers' practice field. During a five-minute conversation, Martz recalls that the commissioner sounded panicked about Specter's calls for a wider investigation. Martz also recalls that Goodell asked him to write a statement, saying that he was satisfied with the NFL's Spygate investigation and was certain the Patriots had not cheated and asking everyone to move on -- like leaders of the Steelers and Eagles had done.

"He told me, 'The league doesn't need this. We're asking you to come out with a couple lines exonerating us and saying we did our due diligence,'" says Martz, now 64 years old and out of coaching, during a July interview at his summer cabin in the Idaho mountains.

A congressional inquiry that would put league officials under oath had to be avoided, Martz recalls Goodell telling him. "If it ever got to an investigation, it would be terrible for the league," Goodell said."

"Martz says he still had more questions, but he agreed that a congressional investigation "could kill the league." So in the end, Martz got in line. He wrote the statement that evening, and it was released the next day, reading in part that he was "very confident there was no impropriety" and that it was "time to put this behind us."

Shown a copy of his statement this past July, Martz was stunned to read several sentences about Walsh that he says he's certain he did not write. "It shocked me," he says. "It appears embellished quite a bit -- some lines I know I didn't write. Who changed it? I don't know."

Edited by bran

So what we learned from those articles is that my suspicions about the Pats having a culture of shadiness is certainly true, the NFL basically tried to cover up/move on from Spygate as soon as possible so that they wouldn't take a PR hit (or get investigated by the government) and that Deflategate is basically a makeup call for Spygate. So ultimately the Patriots cheated (I'm calling it now) at least twice, possibly more, and the NFL fucked up punishing them both times. Lovely.

On a lighter note, here's a good read on why A-A-Ron Rodgers is the most efficient QB in the NFL.

• Like 1

I stopped reading when it said that Patriot officials would turn their shirts inside out or hide their team logo. Really? That's how they would do it instead of just wearing a shirt without a Patriots logo?

I can't stand Richard Sherman. But go read what he just said. He defends Brady and the Pats.

I hope the Pats win the Super Bowl this year again and Brady is MVP. Just because of how many cry babies it will piss off.

P.S.

I can't believe I agree with Richard Sherman. But he is the guy who battles Brady on the field. So his word holds water more than what fans say in this matter.

I stopped reading when it said that Patriot officials would turn their shirts inside out or hide their team logo. Really? That's how they would do it instead of just wearing a shirt without a Patriots logo?

I can't stand Richard Sherman. But go read what he just said. He defends Brady and the Pats.

I hope the Pats win the Super Bowl this year again and Brady is MVP. Just because of how many cry babies it will piss off.

P.S.

I can't believe I agree with Richard Sherman. But he is the guy who battles Brady on the field. So his word holds water more than what fans say in this matter.

many players dont and many coaches dont, your point is what? since richard shermann says its ok therefore it is?

as for the officials. team officials, coaches etc have to wear sanctioned gear of their teams(why BB was fined for cutting up his sweater) they were running this stuff back and forth to patriot workers in the film room, if teams or security saw a person without patriot gear on trying to get into patriot facilities it would be a red flag. you tape the logo put on a vest over it, do the filming, take off vest, rip off tape and do patriots sanctioned shit no one would catch on.

Edited by bran

steelers will be kicking themselves watching that game tape tomorrow.

Yup. I don’t think you’ll find a Steelers fan on the planet that’s a fan of the D since their last Super Bowl run. The highly suspect D (particularly leaving people uncovered and untouched) has been an unfortunate constant since at least the 2011 season. I don’t know if you remember the playoff game vs. Tebow, but it was quite literally that very same problem which sunk them in OT.

Cam Heyward, Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, and Bud Dupree have been their 1st round picks the last 4 drafts, so it’s pretty obvious a concerted effort has been made to shore up the defense as veterans like Ike Taylor, Troy and James Harrison aged or retired. While Heyward has been solid, Jones basically missed 2 seasons to injuries and Shazier almost all of last year to injury, so those players haven’t had crucial development time and the Steelers’ D has been unable to reap any sort of benefit.

While the Steelers’ scouts are probably the best in the league when it comes to WRs as evidenced by such players as Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant or Emmanuel Sanders, they’re probably the worst in the league when it comes to CBs. The last good CB they drafted was Ike Taylor a lifetime ago. They took 3 CBs in the draft this year and 2 got cut while the other is likely on the IR for the entire season, so once again the Steelers’ D is unable to benefit even remotely from those draft picks. Don’t forget that the Steelers never ever make a big splash during free agency (I think Blount was literally their only signing last year), so the draft is their only real way of improving the D and suffers greatly when their picks don’t pan out.

What's truly unfortunate is that while the Steelers' D needs major improvements, other than a successor for Heath Miller at some point, I really can't think of a single major upgrade their offense needs when (barring suspensions for Mary Jane) they have perhaps the 2 best WRs and RB in the league. Ben probably only has 5 years left given the punishment and backyard style of football he loves to play, so I think every fan is really hoping their D finally comes together before we have to start thinking about drafting a successor for Ben and the Super Bowl window closes.