Attack on French satirical magazine who posted jokes about the prophet Mohammed - 12 killed

SoulMonster

Ugh.

On the bright side, I'll be in Europe in March so I'm gonna feel right at home.

Manchester by any chance? :D

No, unfortunately. Interestingly enough, it's a Holocaust themed trip. We'll be in Berlin, Prague, Krakow and Warsaw primarily.

Sounds like the most depressing theme idea for a vacation ever.

:lol:

It's not a vacation. It's with the school.

Was gonna say, you know how to show a girl a good time eh? :lol: I can see it now, candlelit meal, nice Bordeaux, lights low, mood right...then you cast the tickets across the table and go 'darling, i'm taking you to...uh, where Joseph Mengele used to perform abortion with a rodding iron and a pair of washing up gloves!' She must've been putty in your hands :lol:

Get a chicken and vegetable kebab from Mustafa's while you're in Berlin: http://www.mustafas.de/ Chicken kebabs are usually awful but this was amazing, especially the vegetables.

Also, there's a currywurst close to Checkpoint Charlie that was my favourite, East Asian lady running it adds some curry powder to it, I preferred it to Curry 36 and Konnopke's Imbiss.

@SM

Terrified of it. Trip's going to be emotionally exhausting. Never mind that it's work and I have to worry about the experiences of a dozen teenagers.

Have you done it before or will this be your first such trip? If if isn't the first, then I hope it will be better than the last time, if it is teh first, then I hope it won't be as bad as you might think.

I was on a similar trip as a kid. I spent a few weeks living with Germans in former DDR as part of some exchange thing at school. It was the first time I drank beer for real, the first time I had to sit prone and listen to some stranger talk at lengths about his disdain for USA, the first time I had to defend Norwegian whaling industry in broken German to kids...and the first trip to a concentration camp. Not sure what I disliked the most.

A lad i know from France was just telling me how his old school is on lockdown, searching kids and all this kinda shit. He's from Bordeaux too.

Bordeaux's an amazing place, I really miss it, I taught in a town near there for 6 months 2008-9 and been meaning to go back for a visit since I left.

Get a chicken and vegetable kebab from Mustafa's while you're in Berlin: http://www.mustafas.de/ Chicken kebabs are usually awful but this was amazing, especially the vegetables.

Also, there's a currywurst close to Checkpoint Charlie that was my favourite, East Asian lady running it adds some curry powder to it, I preferred it to Curry 36 and Konnopke's Imbiss.

While on the topic of foods and drink, Joe's Pub at Potzdamer Platz has the best Caipirinhas in Europe :) If it still exist.

@SM

Terrified of it. Trip's going to be emotionally exhausting. Never mind that it's work and I have to worry about the experiences of a dozen teenagers.

Wouldn't be anything I'd like to do. We had a concentration camp survivor coming to talk at our school and we visited a fort closeby that was used as a concentration camp, Breendonk. That was more than enough for me personally. I can't say it's an experience I'll ever forget, neither is the lecture by the survivor. Amazing how one little old lady could shut up an entire room filled with otherwise loud teenagers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to eat everything I can get my hands on.

@SM

Have you done it before or will this be your first such trip? If if isn't the first, then I hope it will be better than the last time, if it is teh first, then I hope it won't be as bad as you might think.

I was on a similar trip as a kid. I spent a few weeks living with Germans in former DDR as part of some exchange thing at school. It was the first time I drank beer for real, the first time I had to sit prone and listen to some stranger talk at lengths about his disdain for USA, the first time I had to defend Norwegian whaling industry in broken German to kids...and the first trip to a concentration camp. Not sure what I disliked the most.

I lived in Prague for a year. Went to a small concentration camp outside the city. We're doing the big ones on this trip.

I'm afraid I've Misered the thread. :lol:

Edited by magisme

Charlie Hebdo's a racist publication that often attacks Muslims and black people.

Je suis un Londonien
True, you can't go around killing 12 people because they piss you off, but Charlie Hebdo still stinks and speaks for the French elite.
Edited by Snake-Pit
  • Like 1

It's only racist in the way South Park is racist...

It's mainly mocking human idiocy.

But those same idiots can't see subtext, so they have to take everything as simply and literally as it looks. People crapping out their mouths was just that, and children are swearing. Outrage.

It wasn't racist at all. You didn't understand the humor Snake Pit. Like Glow said it was/is mocking human idiocy.

It is mocking the entire human race and it is actually a very left winged paper. It's all irony and sarcasm and no subject was left untouched. It might not be classy at times, but it's certainly not meant as racism.

It isn't really attacking muslims as well. It was actually attacking extremists (in every form). Because the Islam cartoons is what is showed constantly in the news now, it seems like that were the only cartoons they made. It actually had all kinds of cartoons. Marie Le Pen was not their friend either for example, cause they considered her a right winged extremist, they constantly made cartoons about her. Like I said, the paper is very left winged and anti racism. That is something what in France is well known, but to people never heard of the paper before it isn't and therefor the cartoons are often misunderstood.

They also mocked the pope, Israel, the West, just about everything. To skip the Islam extremists would have been patronizing, cause every other religion and people are mocked. The ordinary Muslim is just as capable of letting those cartoons slide as a catholic and a pope cartoon. It was never meant as racism.

vtxz.jpg

You do know that this drawing only exists to accompagny an article about the Front National who called Mrs Taubira ( our minister of Justice ) a monkey ? Charlie Hebdo was making fun of the Front National, not the other way around..

This is a perfect example of a cartoon misunderstood if you have no clue about french politics.

They often made cartoons the way the right winged see things, to show the absurdity of it.

Edited by MB.
  • Like 1

It's only racist in the way South Park is racist...

It's mainly mocking human idiocy.

But those same idiots can't see subtext, so they have to take everything as simply and literally as it looks. People crapping out their mouths was just that, and children are swearing. Outrage.
OR...maybe they see the subtext clearly and its not that they're not as clever little boys and girls as you, they just dont agree or think its a bullshit smoke screen invented for the purpose of masking prejudice?

I dunno why it always has to be a case of 'UGH!! Ur like, so dumb or whatever. Cant you see what they're trying to do?', its really not all that complicated fella. You can cook up a line of logic to excuse any old bullshit if you want to, that doesnt mean that people wont come to their own conclusions, interpretation doesnt work that way, you dont just say 'it means 'x'' and then everyone is supposed to just accept that, it doesn't work that way I'm afraid.

'You dont understand the humour!', yeah, cuz its so complex eh, i mean these guys just invented political satire :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard