Attack on French satirical magazine who posted jokes about the prophet Mohammed - 12 killed

SoulMonster

*notes down her name* :lol:

You can't start equating every fanny with an Islam based objection to some shit and put them on the same level as uzi toting terrorists though. Not saying you don't have something of a point but you can find umpteen instances of that sort of thing in every like...everywhere.

I honestly think our country will be forever changed by this.

After 9.11, France adopted a very hypocritical stance on liberty of expression, regularly criticizing journalists for taking liberties regarding certain subjects.

Problem is, Charlie Hebdo is an extremely popular magazine in France and after what happened I can guarantee that the French won't let this slide. They won't let the government take any half measure regarding the liberty of press after this.

It's as if Trey Parker and Matt Stone had been killed by extremists in the US. They were that big over here.

*notes down her name* :lol:

I know, right? I was surprised I'd never heard of her, but that's because I just watch whatever amateur shit catches my eye first :lol: Can't watch anything with her in it, though, she looks too much like my sister in one of the pics in that article...

You can't start equating every fanny with an Islam based objection to some shit and put them on the same level as uzi toting terrorists though. Not saying you don't have something of a point but you can find umpteen instances of that sort of thing in every like...everywhere.

One other point is, though, when do you start taking death threats seriously? Yeah, I'm sure the BBC gets all sorts of death threats over things that offend Christianity like Jerry Springer: The Opera and over shows which crack a joke about Islam, but when do you start saying "they should've known better"? Seems every celeb gets some sort of death or rape threat from at least a handful of Twitter cupcakes every day, when do you start saying "I should stop talking because there's a good chance they'll come after me with AKs"?

Clearly me and Amir are gonna have to shave our beards and invest in some clip-on foreskins :lol:

Fuck that, when shit goes down in the UK I'm emigrating to Iran, I'll take back every bad word I've said about the Islamic Republic, I'll grow my beard extra-long and become a mullah and get a wife in a chador who cooks all day and everything :lol:

One other point is, though, when do you start taking death threats seriously? Yeah, I'm sure the BBC gets all sorts of death threats over things that offend Christianity like Jerry Springer: The Opera and over shows which crack a joke about Islam, but when do you start saying "they should've known better"? Seems every celeb gets some sort of death or rape threat from at least a handful of Twitter cupcakes every day, when do you start saying "I should stop talking because there's a good chance they'll come after me with AKs"?

When there's an immediate presecdent in very recent history it should probably raise your attention.
Fuck that, when shit goes down in the UK I'm emigrating to Iran, I'll take back every bad word I've said about the Islamic Republic, I'll grow my beard extra-long and become a mullah and get a wife in a chador who cooks all day and everything :lol:

I'm just gonna shop you in in a clemency deal. It's your lot they want anyway, us paki's are just ignorant villiage folk really :lol: Actually, y'know, someone was saying that to me the other day that like, it was because of immigrants from your part of the world and that brand of Islam being bought over to England is how extremism became a thing over here. Those Irani Ayatollie Shi'ite extremists. Cuz my lot have been over here for decades and we were like, well, lets call it what it is, a bit thick :lol: Our brand of Islam is considered almost heretical amongst all you shar'ia lot over in the middle east, with our psuedo Hindu traditions and that. The majority of your lot tend to look down their noses at my lot. Don't blame em really :lol:

When there's an immediate presecdent in very recent history it should probably raise your attention.

The Danish cartoons weren't gunned down in the street. Interesting anecdote from Wikipedia (got round the proxy here by visiting the cached site) about the reason why one Danish artist refused to draw Muhammad when the newspaper was shopping around before the publication: "he was assaulted by five assailants who opposed his reading of the Qur'an to non-Muslims during a lecture." I mean, FFS :lol:

I'm just gonna shop you in in a clemency deal. It's your lot they want anyway, us paki's are just ignorant villiage folk really :lol: Actually, y'know, someone was saying that to me the other day that like, it was because of immigrants from your part of the world and that brand of Islam being bought over to England is how extremism became a thing over here. Those Irani Ayatollie Shi'ite extremists. Cuz my lot have been over here for decades and we were like, well, lets call it what it is, a bit thick :lol: Our brand of Islam is considered almost heretical amongst all you shar'ia lot over in the middle east, with our psuedo Hindu traditions and that. The majority of your lot tend to look down their noses at my lot. Don't blame em really :lol:

That is true to a certain extent. Watched a documentary at uni about The Satanic Verses and it argued that before that whole controversy there was no real sense of being a British Muslim, Indian and Pakistani Muslims still saw through things through national/racial lines, and so while beforehand it was them against the White English and each other, it took Khomeini's fatwa to bring the British Asian Muslims together in not-so-perfect harmony :lol:

The Danish cartoons weren't gunned down in the street. Interesting anecdote from Wikipedia (got round the proxy here by visiting the cached site) about the reason why one Danish artist refused to draw Muhammad when the newspaper was shopping around before the publication: "he was assaulted by five assailants who opposed his reading of the Qur'an to non-Muslims during a lecture." I mean, FFS :lol:

Did they not? I thought they got killed. I do remember that bird on the prayer matt with her bristols out got into a spot of bother, didn't she? I forget these things.

Some fucker got turned off for that shit anyway :lol: (thats gonna be my opening salvo for the Cambridge Debating Society :lol:)

That is true to a certain extent. Watched a documentary at uni about The Satanic Verses and it argued that before that whole controversy there was no real sense of being a British Muslim, Indian and Pakistani Muslims still saw through things through national/racial lines, and so while beforehand it was them against the White English and each other, it took Khomeini's fatwa to bring the British Asian Muslims together in not-so-perfect harmony :lol:

I knew it was your fault, thats why you're taking the other side so hard, in case they clock on and chuck you out the House Negroes Union :lol:
  • Like 1

I can't imagine any scenario where I would get worked up enough to murder anyone over an idea I have. But I haven't based my life over any idea or belief. But there are those people and guess what. They will FUCK you up. I predict that it will take Christians about 45 years until the overwhelming evidence convinces them that they have been wasting their time, Muslims may take a few decades longer cos they seem a bit more feisty. Catholics will hang around till the pope puts his laptop into get fixed.

• Like 1

Did they not? I thought they got killed. I do remember that bird on the prayer matt with her bristols out got into a spot of bother, didn't she? I forget these things.

Some fucker got turned off for that shit anyway :lol: (thats gonna be my opening salvo for the Cambridge Debating Society :lol:)

No, one was attacked but not killed.

However Charlie Hebdo just reprinted the Danish cartoons, so probably the biggest reason for today's attack.

There is gob and shit and prawn sandwich (fuck you Roy Keane, you fuckin' ugly cunt) all over my laptop screen now Spunks, cheers :lol:

No, one was attacked but not killed.

However Charlie Hebdo just reprinted the Danish cartoons, so probably the biggest reason for today's attack.

I hear its like the French equivalent to Private Eye over here. A valuable publication to say the least.

Horrible news. I just read that the French police officers killed 1 suspect and arrested two more.

Over 3000 officers were sent to hunt these terrorists down. I think they did one hell of a job!

There is no security. These fanatics will never stop and this is now and forever the way our world is.

No country is safe from these fanatics and it's a very scary way we have to live from now on.

Why not respect their religious taboo? What's the harm? Not defending these monsters at all, but it's awfully arrogant of the West to make so light of something that so many take very seriously. It's like serving a Jew pork or shellfish just to be a dick. There are plenty of ways to criticize ISIS and its ilk.

I'm sure this isn't going to be a popular post, but I thought people should try to see at least a little nuance in the issue. Now who's going to be the first person to say I'm excusing the murders? :lol:

West makes fun of Christianity and Judaism all the time. There was a time when releasing the Life of Brian was a huge deal. Now it's only a tiny minority of mostly harmless nutjobs who protest films that mock Christianity. Let's hope we reach the same stage with Islam in the future.

Yeah but those things aren't taboo. But if i was to make a cartoon of say, i dunno, a load of apes burning and looting a city and equate it to some of the social strife in America at the moment how well would that go down, do you think? Yeah you can say no one'd get killed but the principle is the same. Or perhaps a fagin caricature looming over the Hollywood sign with pound signs in his eyes and handfuls of cash, how well would that go down d'ya reckon?

And OK, to be clear here, the country that bans the burqa is het up about freedom of expression? Really? So thats not important, we can do away with people wanting to practise their religion and covering their faces but cartoons to take the piss out of peoples faith that could very possibly result in the deaths of others, thats a more important principle to pursue? Don't make me laugh.

What about journalistic responsibility? I mean umpteen things aren't published or broadcasted because of the response they might get or how it might offend. Obviously the principle issue is the mad fuckers that go around doing people over but they're mad, whats your fuckin' excuse? I'll tell ya what, fame, money, selling your magazine, these people give as much of a shit about peoples lives as the terrorists do, i mean some of those cartoons are more or less saying 'go on then!'.

And as far as the thing of 'well we take the piss out of Scientology and rightly so cuz they're batshit' well, there you go, the language of confrontation again, knowing that this kinda shit leads to peoples lives getting ended. It's just wilfully poking people in a way that you know will make them move just so's that when they do you can point your finger and go 'see?'.

And as far as this bullshit about muslims being the only ones who kill in the name of religion you might wanna look at some of the language employed by the US when wading into Afghanistan and Iraq. Which party deaded more people d'ya think?

All this theorising and bullshit, this intellectual to-ing and fro-ing, it's all very cute but don't believe for one minute that humanity and the rights of humans are what this shit is about, it's about arrogance, it's about I'm right and you're wrong, these people don't care a turd for anyones life, thats both parties cuz if the cartoonists did they wouldn't put that shit out there, knowing that people have died behind it and the terrorists for being mental fuckin' shitbags that go around killing people in the first place.

It's all real funny and real cute but this is the real world, it ain't no fuckin' schoolyard where you're telling jokes to wind people up and watch them go, it's real life and real dead bodies and you might be writing or drawing away from the comfort of your own home and sending shit off for publication and sitting back real proud at the results you get but thats not how real life works, in real life you do shit like that and the shit can come back on ya, it's just basic intelligence, i got freedom of speech but i ain't gonna walk up to Purple Aki on McLeods train route going 'oi mate, why do black people wear baggy trousers? Because their knee grows!' because it ain't gonna fuckin' end well :lol:

Great post Len... I surely don't advocate violence. Especially over freedom of speech, but the sad fact is, there is no freedom of consequence.

This act and many others like it are of the worst kind, but the press needs to be more responsible, instead of being slaves to the dollar. There used to be a time when the news was fair and was reported to let the people decide for themselves, now all of the media devides and has an agenda that is pitting man against man. Not fucking cool.

• Like 1

I hate to say it but I am on Soul's side here. As much as atheistic militancy pisses me off, the press are the last bastion of free speech. As a gigantic fan of James Gillray (I learnt to draw cartoons from Gillray sketches), I will always defend a completely uncensored, completely offensive, press - indeed, as a fan of Spitting Image. Should the press be sympathetic to religious sensibilities? Yes, probably, as pluralistic human beings. Do the press have a right, to be sympathetic to religious sensibilities (without being killed for the crime)? No. A rigorous, controversial press, is perhaps one of the things I am most proud of in Britain, Europe, the west, wherever? The ability to, piss-pull (as we say here).

• Like 2

I hate to say it but I am on Soul's side here. As much as atheistic militancy pisses me off, the press are the last bastion of free speech. As a gigantic fan of James Gillray (I learnt to draw cartoons from Gillray sketches), I will always defend a completely uncensored, completely offensive, press - indeed, as a fan of Spitting Image. Should the press be sympathetic to religious sensibilities? Yes, probably, as pluralistic human beings. Do the press have a right, to be sympathetic to religious sensibilities (without being killed for the crime)? No. A rigorous, controversial press, is perhaps one of the things I am most proud of in Britain, Europe, the west, wherever? The ability to, piss-pull (as we say here).

i think this is all that needs to be said.

You guys keep on making the mistake of thinking we're saying the press shouldn't be allowed to publish cartoons like this. No one is saying that. We're saying it's shit taste and discretion and is really nothing but a brainless gimmick to sell magazines. A brainless gimmick that can very well get people killed, mind you.

You guys keep on making the mistake of thinking we're saying the press shouldn't be allowed to publish cartoons like this. No one is saying that. We're saying it's shit taste and discretion and is really nothing but a brainless gimmick to sell magazines. A brainless gimmick that can very well get people killed, mind you.

Must have missed all the times I pointed out that what fires nut jobs off changes all the time, by virtue of them being nut jobs, so you're never safe from insanity.

Batman v Superman is coming out in 2016, should they not release it because of the Aurora Dark knight Rises shooting?

A Clockwork Orange is no longer banned in the UK, is that a dangerous move that will lead to a resurgence in copycat killings in the country like when it was released in cinemas? You can buy The Last Temptation of Christ on DVD in Paris, is this an unwise move because there were shootings in that city upon its release in 1988?

A cartoonist, who refused to draw cartoons of Mohammed, was beaten up for reading the Quran in a lecture to a bunch of non-Muslims. Should non-Muslims stop publicly reciting the Holy Book of Islam?

Some people find bad taste comedy funny. While I thought these cartoons were a bit lame, I still laugh my ass off at Stanhope, Louis CK, Bill Burr, etc., comedians who many have called to be censored. If tomorrow someone was to go on a shooting spree at one of their shows, should they all stop performing such material?

You keep saying they should know better, but no cartoonist was killed after the Jyllands-Posten controversy. Yes, Theo van Gogh was killed, but that was for a short film, not a cartoon or comic.

This is the deadliest attack on French soil in more than 50 years. There is no real precedent.

Edited by Amir

No one is saying this is good. It's a terrible thing that happened. Done by terrible people. But again, this slippery slope stuff simply does not apply because this is a general taboo prescribed by the faith, which is violated by these supposed free speechers probably for that very reason, add the context of the general West vs. Islam parade these fuckers trot out every day, and this is just like Len said. It's a ha ha, fuck you, we can do what we want. Well, it's almost zero degrees outside right now. I'm gonna stand out there in my boxers and freeze to death because "Murica, fuck yeah, I'm free to do what I like! That's pretty much the intellectual level these cartoonists are operating on.

Man, I once got into a raging argument with a furious conglomerate of internet Mothers after they launched a campaign to get a "dead baby jokes" Facebook page deleted.

I hate dead baby jokes, I have never made one, none have ever made me laugh, but people should absolutely be able to make them without being censored, much less killed. Same could be said for the cartoons SS is posting in here, they depict Mohammed as a pig, pigs are regarded as unclean by the Muslim faith, that seems to be about the extent of their wit... They're not very clever, not very funny and directly targeted at the sensitivities of about 1.5 billion people, but the people who published them should never, never NEVER have to fear for their lives.

Regardless of the content of the cartoons or any threat which came from extremists for publishing them, the fact of the matter remains that people should be able to publish what they like without fear of physical harm to their person. If you find it distasteful, you're free to ignore it, not to buy it, or indeed to address it with a publication of your own... Don't attack the person you disagree with, attack their argument.

• Like 2