2015 Oscar Awards Thread

downzy

Sniper was good. I thought it would be more about him gettin his kills, but actually only one sentance in the film alludes to his figure. It focuses on his struggle and being placed into stressfull situations.

Bringing his wife into it was a bit pointless but this all goes down to part of his story which remember is based from his own book.

As someone who has worked with special forces in the past and been out in the sandpit i have a few problems that simply wouldn't have happened.

- phoning home whilst on duty. Especially during a contact. "Im ready to come home". So... you want to phone your wife when the enemy are closing in on you but when you get back you'd rather hang out in a bar. Whatever.

- Kyle lied about car jackin incident and shooting looters in the after math of Katrina. Also the knockin out Jesse Ventura. They were left out of the film as they were proven lies. Why did he need to lie?

The film is very cliche and it does come off as "america fuck yeah" but when you are a sniper with as many kills then you k ow what your in for.

All that being said, cooper deserves an oscar for being so like Chris. Building his body, adopting the accent and lookin the part.

I did expect a little more from a clint eastwood film, but i guess he can only play with the material from the book and adapted screenplay. Not his best film by a long shot.

Edited by Axl_morris
  • Like 1

I just got back from seeing American Sniper. I can't say I really enjoyed it. Now, keep in mind I haven't read his book so I don't exactly know the source material well, but I feel like there were some good ideas that just never really got developed well. First things first - it really did feel like an "America, fuck yeah!"-type war propaganda film to me, I won't touch on that because everyone will have their own take on that and mine is that a film should be more...neutral, so to speak. If you enjoy movies that display extreme patriotism, more power to you.

I feel like if they'd explored the psychological aspect of Kyle's PTSD a bit more, I'd have enjoyed the film a lot more. And we get hints that it's going on, but it never really goes anywhere until late in the third act of the film. We see him essentially blowing off his wife about her concern for his blood pressure, we see him walking out on conversations with her during tours, etc. Then it really hits the fan after he returns home from his final tour...only to be resolved, literally, in the next fucking scene. The film did a really poor job of conveying how serious a problem PTSD is for veterans, I sort of felt like it was the elephant in the room that no one really wanted to mention.

In the acting department, Cooper was alright, but I don't think he was "Best Actor" good. He conveyed fairly little emotion (Which, to be fair, was probably what he was supposed to go for with the role), but it just...didn't do anything for me. I thought if anyone deserved a nomination in the acting department it was Sienna Miller for Best Supporting Actress, her role was excellent.

As for all the technical award nominations it received, I can't really complain about any of those. The film and sound editing were solid, but I can't say I'd pick this over Grand Budapest or Interstellar respectively in either of those categories.

I'm hoping to go see Birdman next weekend if it's still showing in theaters around here.

I don't think any film should be neutral for the sake of being neutral on any topic it is about. The director should be allowed to portray anything he or she wants to and their vision should not be compromised whatsoever. If the director wants to be neutral, then that is their decision and right. If they want to lean any other way, or be totally ambiguous, that's also their decision and right.

I don't think any film should be neutral for the sake of being neutral on any topic it is about. The director should be allowed to portray anything he or she wants to and their vision should not be compromised whatsoever. If the director wants to be neutral, then that is their decision and right. If they want to lean any other way, or be totally ambiguous, that's also their decision and right.

Fair enough - like I said, everyone will have their own opinion on that particular aspect of the film, and I don't think that's a point really worth debating. Most likely everyone is very "set in their ways" on that matter.

One other thing I forgot to mention about the film. "The Butcher" - maybe I missed something, but did they completely drop his storyline partway into the film? I don't remember him getting killed or anything, but sometime around the end of Kyle's second tour, I don't remember hearing anything more about him. I just found it odd, since he was essentially the driving force of most of the second act of the film.

Nosaj, did you see the movie Hitchcock with Anthony Hopkins playing the lead character. It was about how he wrote Psycho and was trying to get it made into a movie.

When he interviewed Anthony Perkins, he said he identified with Norman Bates, because he too took care of his mother. I don't know if this interview was based on the real one, you never know with Hollywood movies, but I did see a bit of Norman Bates in Perkins too.

I also liked "The Girl" about the making of The Birds. According to this movie version, Hitchcock was a dirty old man and a real bastard with what he did to Tippy Heddrin.

I would like to see Bradley Cooper win. He doesn't seem to play by Hollywood's rules.

It would be nice one day to see Leo win for a movie role. He hits it out of the park with every performance he does, yet the academy always snubs him.

I'm glad they snubbed Angelina Jolie, I really hate her. lol

Edited by Val22

What is Birdman?

I thought it was a sci-fi/fantasy, but it's more like Fight Club/American Pyscho/Momento (only not going backwards); all in is head, though I loved the bit where he flies into work then this cab driver walks in following demanding his money. :lol:

Birdman besting Boyhood at both the PGA and SAG awards last weekend makes the race a lot more interesting.

They both have a sort of gimmick to them but Birdman is fresher in people's minds. I think Birdman takes it.

The gimmicky nature of Birdman pays off in the film making. Boyhood is all (admittedly bold and moving) concept. The film itself is relentlessly mediocre. Which is why I still think it has a better chance at the Oscar. :lol: It's preferable to a flat out turd like Theory of Everything taking it though.

Edited by Angelica

Only one of the Best Picture noms I thought was truly great was Whiplash (then again I've only seen 3 of them :P ). Can't believe the director just turned 30. Really don't see why Bennett Miller got a directing nomination for Foxcatcher but Chazelle didn't get one for Whiplash. Foxcatcher was decent but nothing really stuck with me after watching it. I'll definitely be watching Whiplash again (can't believe I haven't seen it a 2nd time already).

• 4 weeks later...

I still have yet to watch Selma and Boyhood, but if I had to rank the Best Picture noms that I've seen thus far:

Birdman

Whiplash

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything

American Sniper

As for Best Actor, while Carell deserve a stern nod for imitating the creepiness of John du Pont, I think it really comes down to Keaton and Eddie Redmayne. Keaton is just solid and pretty likeable, and Redmayne really nailed his role as Hawking, in my opinion. I think Keaton will get it though.

I still have yet to watch Selma and Boyhood, but if I had to rank the Best Picture noms that I've seen thus far:

Birdman

Whiplash

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything

American Sniper

As for Best Actor, while Carell deserve a stern nod for imitating the creepiness of John du Pont, I think it really comes down to Keaton and Eddie Redmayne. Keaton is just solid and pretty likeable, and Redmayne really nailed his role as Hawking, in my opinion. I think Keaton will get it though.

Sat through Boyfood finally. It was good, but I'll never watch it again. I was more interested in the first half but after he got into his teens I started to lose interest. The pacing was kind of annoying too, with the way it changed scenes and a few months or a year or two passed and you kind of had to put the pieces together with what had happened over the missing period in time. I guess it would have been even longer if they would have included everything though. Also, Coltrane's acting was not very good. I think it was better when he was a kid. But, I've seen it so now I just have to watch Selma.

Birdman

Whiplash

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything

Boyhood

American Sniper

Birdman

Whiplash

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything

American Sniper

Sat through Boyfood finally. It was good, but I'll never watch it again. I was more interested in the first half but after he got into his teens I started to lose interest. The pacing was kind of annoying too, with the way it changed scenes and a few months or a year or two passed and you kind of had to put the pieces together with what had happened over the missing period in time. I guess it would have been even longer if they would have included everything though. Also, Coltrane's acting was not very good. I think it was better when he was a kid. But, I've seen it so now I just have to watch Selma.

Birdman

Whiplash

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything

Boyhood

American Sniper

Watched Selma today. Good movie and pretty powerful. Always tough watching how things really were and the way people acted during those times. That said, my final ranking of the Oscar Nominated movies is:

Birdman

Whiplash

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything

Selma

Boyhood

American Sniper

Birdman

Whiplash

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything

American Sniper

Birdman

Whiplash

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything

Boyhood

American Sniper

Watched Selma today. Good movie and pretty powerful. Always tough watching how things really were and the way people acted during those times. That said, my final ranking of the Oscar Nominated movies is:

Birdman

Whiplash

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything

Selma

Boyhood

American Sniper

I would go...

Whiplash

Birdman

Boyhood