2015 Oscar Awards Thread

downzy

Jake Gyllenhaal really deserved at least a nomination

He really nailed that role.

I loved his little side kick too.

Curious if American Sniper is nothing more than war-mongering propaganda.

That's what I'm wondering. Early trailers presented it as a much more nuanced take, but the more I read about it and the more trailers I see, the more I think it's just some more 'Murica, fuck yeah!

Who cares, as long as lots of people get killed :lol: Any number of movies are bullshit Ameri-ccentric propaganda, don't mean to say they are not fantastic. For example, Rambo!

Mags - Len............is that such a bad thing though? Do other countries put out movies that are pro-that-country?

It seems like it's OK to be pro or proud of the country you live in - unless you live in America. If you are proud to be an American then you are an arrogant prick who thinks you are better than everybody else in the world. Just seems like a bit of a double standard.

All countries have patriotic type films really, its just indicative of the overall national taste how heavy-handed they are or not. I wasn't being sarcastic though man, i was being serious, i love that shit on one level, id be a liar if i said i didnt.

Oh I feel you buddy.

I do too.

Sometimes I think that people are just making movies about subjects that they like and enjoy. They aren't trying to make some grand statement. If it's pro-American or military or showcases wealthy people, we know Downzy is going to hate it (still love you though!). I haven't seen this movie yet, so I can't really say what it's deeper meaning is. Maybe a writer/producer just loved the story of the guy and wanted to make a movie about it. Or maybe there was some deep uliminati group out there just using it as a way to push their war agenda.

I assume you're talking about Nightcrawler.

You should also check out the film The Double. I think his work in that movie surpassed his excellent work in Nightcrawler

I'll ckeck that out, I only knew him from Brokeback Mountain in which he was great, but slightly eclipsed by Ledger, so it was surprising watching him nail the leading role on Nightcrawler

Anyway, eventhough I would have loved to see him between the nominees this year, I'm glad to see Steve Carrell. Hope he pulls off a Mcconaughey and take his carreer on a new direction, because he is imo a truly gifted actor

That's what I'm wondering. Early trailers presented it as a much more nuanced take, but the more I read about it and the more trailers I see, the more I think it's just some more 'Murica, fuck yeah!

Who cares, as long as lots of people get killed :lol: Any number of movies are bullshit Ameri-ccentric propaganda, don't mean to say they are not fantastic. For example, Rambo!

Mags - Len............is that such a bad thing though? Do other countries put out movies that are pro-that-country?

It seems like it's OK to be pro or proud of the country you live in - unless you live in America. If you are proud to be an American then you are an arrogant prick who thinks you are better than everybody else in the world. Just seems like a bit of a double standard.

All countries have patriotic type films really, its just indicative of the overall national taste how heavy-handed they are or not. I wasn't being sarcastic though man, i was being serious, i love that shit on one level, id be a liar if i said i didnt.

Oh I feel you buddy.

I do too.

Sometimes I think that people are just making movies about subjects that they like and enjoy. They aren't trying to make some grand statement. If it's pro-American or military or showcases wealthy people, we know Downzy is going to hate it (still love you though!). I haven't seen this movie yet, so I can't really say what it's deeper meaning is. Maybe a writer/producer just loved the story of the guy and wanted to make a movie about it. Or maybe there was some deep uliminati group out there just using it as a way to push their war agenda.

I dont agree with the notion that they expressly arent propaganda cuz they obviously are...and often too...but yeah, that dont mean to say they are exclusively so and they arent often, as you say, just people making films they enjoy.

Either way i dont give a fuck, as long as it entertains me. For example i adore westerns, historically they're most of em bullshit, illusory and false in terms of the time they represent...but to me its just like...theres a human angle to these pieces and thats what appeals to me, i like the lie, like fables, they're comforting to me and i enjoy the idea of the morality they represent i.e. Always be a man, do the right thing, dont do nobody a bad turn.

Look, if we're gonna start moralising about cinema then explain the morality in watching Saw or Texas Chainsaw? There aint none, its just pure entertainment, pure cinema, a sensory assault, you can't moralise about this shit.

Kung Fu films are grossly nationalistic, nobody points that out. And they dont attempt to apologise about it either. Indian cinema is the same, and some Italian, theres tons of it everywhere.

Its good to have an awareness of these things of course and yes, its not a bad thing if you're bothered about it, it shows you have a well tuned moral compass, just because i love westerns dont mean Marlon Brando dont have a point when he said that shit about them reflecting native americans very poorly, or Facekicker and his very valid point about military propaganda pieces when compared to the reality of how vets are treated, i agree with all that shit, its valid, it might not be ALL the story but its some of it and its real...its just that i enjoy the movie regardless, suspension of disbelief yknow?

• Like 2

Oh I feel you buddy.

I do too.

I dont agree with the notion that they expressly arent propaganda cuz they obviously are...and often too...but yeah, that dont mean to say they are exclusively so and they arent often, as you say, just people making films they enjoy.

Either way i dont give a fuck, as long as it entertains me. For example i adore westerns, historically they're most of em bullshit, illusory and false in terms of the time they represent...but to me its just like...theres a human angle to these pieces and thats what appeals to me, i like the lie, like fables, they're comforting to me and i enjoy the idea of the morality they represent i.e. Always be a man, do the right thing, dont do nobody a bad turn.

Look, if we're gonna start moralising about cinema then explain the morality in watching Saw or Texas Chainsaw? There aint none, its just pure entertainment, pure cinema, a sensory assault, you can't moralise about this shit.

Kung Fu films are grossly nationalistic, nobody points that out. And they dont attempt to apologise about it either. Indian cinema is the same, and some Italian, theres tons of it everywhere.

Its good to have an awareness of these things of course and yes, its not a bad thing if you're bothered about it, it shows you have a well tuned moral compass, just because i love westerns dont mean Marlon Brando dont have a point when he said that shit about them reflecting native americans very poorly, or Facekicker and his very valid point about military propaganda pieces when compared to the reality of how vets are treated, i agree with all that shit, its valid, it might not be ALL the story but its some of it and its real...its just that i enjoy the movie regardless, suspension of disbelief yknow?

:hug:

Right. These things aren't mutually exclusive, and that's because ideology isn't about making conscious decisions to wake up and say, "Yup, I'll think I'll try my hand at some propaganda today." Ideology operates at a much deeper and subconscious, even unconscious, level. Look, it shouldn't be a revelation that signs carry meaning, so to make the jump that movies carry meaning beyond :) and :( isn't much of a jump to speak of. So someone most certainly can make a movie they enjoy, but to say all meaning stops there, especially in an industry when so much cash money is at stake? Come on. There's a lot more at work here.

Which is not to say I don't enjoy movies whose message(s), when deconstructed, rub me the wrong way. I probably wouldn't enjoy any movie if that were the case. But this War on Terror thing really bugs me, so movies that promote it get under my skin because I feel like they actively contribute to the perpetuation of very real and very present violence.

• Like 1

Kung Fu films are very nationalistic. When I was growing up on the things, I actually thought my nationality was 'wide eyed devil'. Every HK chop socky is basically, the Chinese versus some evil foreigner, whether they be the incoming Manchurians, the Japanese or the Western Imperialists. Usually it is the Manchu, the Ching, in their glittering costumes.

• Like 1

I do not like the Bushesque 'Defcon 4' action films which America has churned out since the 1990s. ''There is a code red - I repeat, a code red. Best, call the President. Mr President, there's a problem'', cue, bullet headed marines walking over the tarmac in slow motion with Copeland playing in the background.

American cinema is built on the back of Birth of a Nation.

That's raciss.

He's right though, DW Griffith and them. A lot of the morality comes from it too. It's worth noting that Griffith directed the first ever western too, thats not a coincidence. I like Birth of a Nation, i think it's an amazing piece of cinema. That sepia toned look has had such a profound effect on my visual appreciation of the medium i can't tell ya. It is a crock of shit in terms of the story line but he's really not far wrong in a certain sense.

Jesse Jackson speaks up about the lack of African-americans being nominated:

"The movie industry is like the Rocky Mountains, the higher you get, the whiter it gets," Sharpton quipped in a statement released later in the afternoon.

"I have called an emergency meeting early next week in Hollywood with the task force to discuss possible action around the Academy Awards," he said.

American cinema is built on the back of Birth of a Nation.

That's raciss.

He's right though, DW Griffith and them. A lot of the morality comes from it too. It's worth noting that Griffith directed the first ever western too, thats not a coincidence. I like Birth of a Nation, i think it's an amazing piece of cinema. That sepia toned look has had such a profound effect on my visual appreciation of the medium i can't tell ya. It is a crock of shit in terms of the story line but he's really not far wrong in a certain sense.

The Birth of a Nation was a great technical achievement, but Intolerance, Griffiths follow-up was superior.

"The movie industry is like the Rocky Mountains, the higher you get, the whiter it gets," Sharpton quipped in a statement released later in the afternoon.

"I have called an emergency meeting early next week in Hollywood with the task force to discuss possible action around the Academy Awards," he said.

i wish jesse jackson would take a big flying fuck off those rocky mountains.

as for the movies nominated the only one i saw was american sniper which i thought was pretty good, im a fan of letters from iwo jima and flags of our fathers that eastwood did as well.

• Like 2

Sniper is a mess. The battle sequences are well staged etc, but the domestic scenes are howlingly bad. Like Lifetime movie of the week bad. And yeah, the fact that it glosses over the fact that the real life Kyle appears to have been more of a racist sociopath than a troubled war hero is somewhat problematic.

Boyhood is riding on a sea of good will, I suspect it will win. I respect the dedication and the conceit, yadda yadda yadda, IT'S SO FUCKING BORING! The kid is the dullest character in a movie populated almost exclusively with them and Ellar Coltrane can't fucking act. And I'm on a different page from apparently...everyone regarding Patricia Arquette's performance (and she's another lock). Whatever. I love Linklater, I can't believe I hate the film he has a good shot at winning an oscar for. :lol:

Ecstatic for Whiplash. Of course it has no shot, but any box office traction it picks up because of it is deserved. And Simmons is a lock (though Miles Teller deserved a nomination just as much). Birdman is absolutely glorious and Selma is superb. The Imitation Game is fine, Theory of Everything is as unextraordinary a film as has ever been made about an extraordinary person. Grand Budapest is adorable, but come on now.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 3

Surely if black people make up 13% of the population of America then it stands to reason less of them are gonna be getting recognition in the field of acting?

Surely if black people make up 13% of the population of America then it stands to reason less of them are gonna be getting recognition in the field of acting?
Especially as half of that 13% are currently sewing mailbags and making licence plates.

Edit: That was a damning commentary on the American justice system. I'm not actually a hideous racist.

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 3

Especially as half of that 13% are currently sewing mailbags and making licence plates.

Edit: That was a damning commentary on the American justice system. I'm not actually a hideous racist.

Thats funny cuz when you texted it to me 'that' was replaced by 'them nignogs' :lol:

• Like 1

Thats funny cuz when you texted it to me 'that' was replaced by 'them nignogs' :lol:
Fuck off Uncle Tom! I is aal for equality innit! :lol:

:facepalm:

How stupid can people be?

Fuck off Uncle Tom! I is aal for equality innit! :lol:

Is that gonna be your defence in court then?

Prosecution: I put it to you Mr McLeod that you murdered those homosexuals in cold-blood!

Dazey: I was striking a blow for equal rights your honour, cuz my Uncle Petes had the straight women category covered for years!

:lol:

I recently watched the Grand Hotel of Budapest and was pleasantly surprised on how funny it was.

Ralph Fiennes was so funny in that movie.

Not sure if I saw any other of the nominated movies. Usually I don't like the movies the academy picks.

I just hope the actresses dress better than some of them did at the Golden Globes.

Some of those dresses were just horrible.