Worst Axl voice crack of all time

Underhardy

Lisboa 2006 is among the poorest mixes of an otherwise atmospheric concert unlike rio 2011 where there was already a cancellation the year before due to an unforseen storm which put them in a really tough spot. Maybe in 10 years people will look at it a little brighter, i do not believe he could escape ridicule no matter what that time.

That didn't sound like a voice crack, the only thing that sucked about it was the video effects they were using at the time. Yeah you can hear him struggling a little bit but there's definitely worse.

I don't think ive ever heard worse.. can you link something that's worse?

There is one recording from 1993 where Axl sounds absolutely diabolical.

That didn't sound like a voice crack, the only thing that sucked about it was the video effects they were using at the time. Yeah you can hear him struggling a little bit but there's definitely worse.

Jesus.

:vomit::vomit:

You know how bad he's been since RIo 2011? Rio 2011 doesn't sound as remarkably terrible anymore. It just sounds the normal amount of terrible. That's how bad he's been.

lol Ashba

I dunno man, I thought he was a lot better in the gigs that followed. Camden 2011 is a great gig, and that was only a few weeks after Rio. His lack of preparation showed in the worst way possible. He had a lot of eyes on him that day, with it being streamed world wide.

A problem I have, I don't know if it has been discussed, but the interview that Axl done for That Metal Show, he says Rock In Rio was "amazing". I never understood that, as there were a lot of rumors at the time that Axl's relationship with the promoters diminished because of the technical difficulties and stuff, and he was clearly off form as well, anyone have any input on this?

You know how bad he's been since RIo 2011? Rio 2011 doesn't sound as remarkably terrible anymore. It just sounds the normal amount of terrible. That's how bad he's been.

lol Ashba

I dunno man, I thought he was a lot better in the gigs that followed. Camden 2011 is a great gig, and that was only a few weeks after Rio. His lack of preparation showed in the worst way possible. He had a lot of eyes on him that day, with it being streamed world wide.

A problem I have, I don't know if it has been discussed, but the interview that Axl done for That Metal Show, he says Rock In Rio was "amazing". I never understood that, as there were a lot of rumors at the time that Axl's relationship with the promoters diminished because of the technical difficulties and stuff, and he was clearly off form as well, anyone have any input on this?

You're saying this is really that much better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozF3Y71zqxE

I suppose he does look to be in a good mood. :lol:

Axl doesn't want to trash Rock in Rio in public. That's why he says it was amazing! I think he wants to have a good relationship with the Rock in Rio people.

There's no way that Axl Rose thinks his performance was good. He completely shut down at the end of that set. The experience looked awful, the rain, the audio, thank god for the South American crowd! Intro to jungle and estranged were exciting though.

My guess is Axl vocal chords have been damaged. Anything like alcohol and years of smoking can create problems later on, so it definitely seems like Axl has lost his 2010 capabilities for good. I'm sure there are techniques to replicate his old voice but Axl isn't going to do that. We've had this discussion before though.

lol Ashba

It's in key, at least.

Rocket Queen from that show was one of the best I'd heard from the last few years.

Axl doesn't want to trash Rock in Rio in public. That's why he says it was amazing! I think he wants to have a good relationship with the Rock in Rio people.

There's no way that Axl Rose thinks his performance was good. He completely shut down at the end of that set. The experience looked awful, the rain, the audio, thank god for the South American crowd! Intro to jungle and estranged were exciting though.

My guess is Axl vocal chords have been damaged. Anything like alcohol and years of smoking can create problems later on, so it definitely seems like Axl has lost his 2010 capabilities for good. I'm sure there are techniques to replicate his old voice but Axl isn't going to do that. We've had this discussion before though.

Thanks for that man.

Estranged was the best thing about that gig. Amazing. I don't know what Axl does when the band are off the road, but from December 2010 to October 2011, it seemed as if very little was done to get his voice on form for the occasion, as they were announced as headliners 6 months in advance or so.

lol Ashba

Utter shit. Terrible.

:vomit:

lol Ashba

It's in key, at least.

Rocket Queen from that show was one of the best I'd heard from the last few years.

I hate to do this to you, but no. :lol:

lol Ashba

Utter shit. Terrible.

:vomit:

It only got one pukeyface from you out of 2 though. Glass half full of puke.

Edited by Rovim

I find it interesting that Axl has songs he can do well and songs that he cannot find a voice on.

Nightrain is becoming one that he's gotten good at. It typically sounds good since 2013. Except maybe that stint in south america this past year.

Rocket queen is such a good song when done with a good voice, but my god it sucks the last 3 years. The weird thing was in Vegas this year when Axl would start off the first line of Rocket Queen and YCBM perfect, then out of nowhere he reverts back to Mickey and so for me his good vocals cannot exist unless he gets in shape. I think he finds shortcuts in the songs and for nighttrain and jungle it works, but rocket queen and YCBM you have to have some stamina to push the vocals where you need them.

Not sure if that makes sense because I'm not very technical with my musical wording, but I think Axl gets lazy with his delivery of songs, and although he gets away with it on jungle or nighttrain, the harder vocal ranges give him trouble.

lol Ashba

It's in key, at least.

It's all personal preference, but there is a line between Rock in Rio and let's say that Indiana show where he is practically gargling glass. There were a few renditions of Rocket Queen from 2010 that sounded too rough with rasp and not on key, that actually sounded better to me when he was on form in later tours. Each to their own. I guess.

• Like 1

Can't beat Download 2006 for the best live vocals for Nightrain, imo. People can tell me to shut up but doesn't Axl have like four singing voices, i think he holds back and saves his voice at times during shows. Sensible i guess.

god, i'd forgotten what a nightmare this show was.

The thing about Axl's voice in 2002 was the helium worked on some songs, and given the total revamp of Nightrain, I never really minded the higher pitch -- but yeah, that moment where his voice cracks in that performance is kind of funny. But Buckethead's solo immediately follows and is bad ass, and the band sounds generally on fire, so it doesn't end up mattering.

Give me the helium voice from 02 to whatever you wanna call the past few years thanks.

Maybe that's damning with faint praise, but like ER said it worked for some songs (mainly the "new" numbers from Chinese Democracy)

I've noticed he struggles at times with the high voice & the low voice in the same song, especially on Patience where his voice features over the music rather than blending with it.

lol Ashba

It's in key, at least.

Absolutely awful performance. His voice is shit.

I don't know how people consider this to be great. :lol:

This is an odd topic for a fan forum.

Im not saying we should be htgth. And I've got no problem criticising a show or performance when it happens.

But to make a topic to specifically celebrate past bad vocal spots.....just seems like something we shouldn't do.

• Like 2

This is an odd topic for a fan forum.

Im not saying we should be htgth. And I've got no problem criticising a show or performance when it happens.

But to make a topic to specifically celebrate past bad vocal spots.....just seems like something we shouldn't do.

You, as a supporter, should know this thread is really gentle, compared with some others ... :lol: