Alien: New Movie Confirmed with Director Neil Blomkamp

Powerage5

Not sure how I feel about Weaver signing back on...could be cool, I guess, but this movie needs to be very well executed if they really wanna pull all this off.

I guess it's kinda cool that they're ignoring Alien 3 and Resurrection and doing an alternate sequel to Aliens....but let's not forget that Superman Returns tried to do the same thing, and that was horrid!

I love alien and aliens. Honestly the series ended with aliens as far as in concerned, so if this movie really can pick up where aliens left off, that would be fantastic. They could complexity ignore 3 and 4 for all I care. 3 was decent, but 4 was like wtf is this shit? But this news sounds good, sequels over reboots!!!

I can't comprehend what is so bad about Alien 3...

It killed all the remaining characters from Aliens but does that in itself make it a bad movie ?

I agree it isn't a "bad" movie, it just suffered from not being as good as 1 or 2. The director tried to get back to the feel of the original as opposed to trying to go bigger than 2 (which is nearly impossible.) But the problem was killing off the survivors of 2, that was a mistake, especially when the characters from 3 were pretty forgettable. Had they kept hicks, bishop, and newt alive and kept the same overall story to 3 intact, it would have been a pretty good film imo.

4 on the other hand is possibly worse than eithe alien vs predator film. They just went too far into the wtf category...

I can't comprehend what is so bad about Alien 3...

It killed all the remaining characters from Aliens but does that in itself make it a bad movie ?

I thought it was trying too hard to be "grimdark", and I found the acting from most of the prisoners to be way OTT and laughable. The acting and editing in the rape scene is just way too much and makes what should be a terrifying scene instead be funny. I'm not the biggest Alien/Aliens fan, but I find them to be well-made, enjoyable films. Everything in Alien3 comes across as amateurish and try-hard in my eyes, apart from Sigourney Weaver's performance.

NB: I have seen both cuts. The Assembly Cut has more of Paul McGann's awful performance (I like him in Withnail & I, though).

I agree with all of it.

But then again, I never found most performances in Aliens to be very convincing ( but maybe it has to do with the fact that Colonial Marines are try-hards ).

Maybe I only love Alien, hence why both Aliens and Alien 3 don't really bother me.

Resurrection is too cartoonish for its own good and even Sigourney's role is poorly written.

"Souvenir ?" ... Really ?

I agree with all of it.

But then again, I never found most performances in Aliens to be very convincing ( but maybe it has to do with the fact that Colonial Marines are try-hards ).

Maybe I only love Alien, hence why both Aliens and Alien 3 don't really bother me.

Resurrection is too cartoonish for its own good and even Sigourney's role is poorly written.

"Souvenir ?" ... Really ?

I agree that the first film is the only one I really love. I know a lot of people prefer Aliens, but it doesn't even come close for me. A good movie for sure, but Alien is a fucking masterpiece.

I've always found it odd that it's one of my favorite film series, despite the fact that I only hold 1 out of 4 films in a particularly high regard.

Aliens is a masterpiece and on par (not better, but on the same level) with alien. So don't cut aliens short....

Just my opinion. It's still a solid second best, but I can't rank it up there with the original. I know I'm in the minority on that though.

They're two different types of movie though, aren't they?

Aliens is more of an action movie, where the original is more of a horror/thriller.

Which is perfect imo. Trying to do another horror\thriller film would of left the franchise flat (like aliens 3). So just plain upping the anty on everything and doing a action flick was brilliant on Cameron's part. Honestly I'd take Aliens over anything else Cameron has done, including T2. He took the universe Ridley Scott created and turned it into this multi franchise juggernaut. Because of Aliens, it is completely possible that aliens, predator, avatar, and now Prometheus all exist within the same universe. I know that's stretching to some degree, but its all right there, begging to be connected. You could make a series out of all of those franchises, that could surpass Star Trek and challenge Star Wars as the best space series out there. (Which I'm not saying it would surpass sw, but imo it is already better than trek).

It could go something like this:

Predator

Predator 2

Prometheus

Alien

Aliens

Alien 5 ?

Alien 3

Alien vs predator (first one)

Which again these series being able to connect is because of Cameron and Aliens more than because of Alien. But having said that Alien is an absolute classic that can not be overstated. But Aliens is just a beautiful 80's action flick mmasterpiece, they really don't come any better than that one.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

They're two different types of movie though, aren't they?

Aliens is more of an action movie, where the original is more of a horror/thriller.

Which is perfect imo. Trying to do another horror\thriller film would of left the franchise flat (like aliens 3). So just plain upping the anty on everything and doing a action flick was brilliant on Cameron's part. Honestly I'd take Aliens over anything else Cameron has done, including T2. He took the universe Ridley Scott created and turned it into this multi franchise juggernaut. Because of Aliens, it is completely possible that aliens, predator, avatar, and now Prometheus all exist within the same universe. I know that's stretching to some degree, but its all right there, begging to be connected. You could make a series out of all of those franchises, that could surpass Star Trek and challenge Star Wars as the best space series out there. (Which I'm not saying it would surpass sw, but imo it is already better than trek).

It could go something like this:

Predator

Predator 2

Prometheus

Alien

Aliens

Alien 5

Alien 3

Alien vs predator (first one)

I haven't seen Avatar - how does it tie in to the Alien universe?

Also, supposedly Blade Runner takes place in the same universe - while there isn't anything in the films to prove it, Tyrell Corp is mentioned in some of the special features in the Alien quadrilogy Blu Ray box set.

Avatar connects because of the "company" that pretty much rules the earth in the future, the same one Ripley worked for. It is also part of the avatar series. Not to mention all the ships in avatar are straight out of aliens.

Also all of the marines in avatar are exactly like the marines in aliens. Again, aliens is the better film than avatar because avatar's story is like fern gully on a distant planet, but it still connects to aliens.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

I have never read about Aliens and Avatar being connected at all.

If it's an intentional connection, that makes me sad because Avatar is kind of shit. It just looks pretty.

I'm sure it was intentional on Cameron's part, how could it not be. But in a way it is just him piggy backing off of Scott's creation, because the "company" clearly exists in Alien.

But I will say this, Cameron did take it to further reaches than Scott would have. As for Avatar, I don't disagree that it is more style than substance, but I do think it has it's place in this "universe". Plus I gotta give Cameron credit in this reguard, if you are going to make another space film, why not put it in the same universe as your previous film? We are talking about outer space here, if Aliens clearly exist, are big blue creatures really a strange occurance? I don't think so. I give Ridley Scott the same props for putting Prometheus in this universe also, I mean why the Hell not? They all get to be related without stepping on the other ones toes. If George Lucas was to make another space adventure, why not put it in the sw universe? It doesn't mean that it has to be iintertwined, just coexist.

But that's what makes THIS universe special to me, it IS connected, but yet everything is very distant, like the universe should be.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ