Do you think Axl could relate to Birdman?

[movie SPOILERS]

Washed up actor/singer Michael Keaton/Axl Rose drops off from multi-millionaire franchise (Batman/Guns N' Roses) to prove he is not only a celebrity, but also an artist. To prove so, he produces What We Talk When We Talk About Love/Chinese Democracy. But critics insist he is only a celebrity, so Keaton bashes them.

The ending is different, though. I know Axl's story isn't over, but I'll consider our current situation. Keaton's play proves to be genius. Then he sees Birmdan (movies's version of Batman) going away, indicating he really proved himself as an artist, although to do so, he had to almost kill himself - death imortalizes artists. But the thing Keaton used in his face in the ending, and his bruises, when he takes it off, were exactly like Birmdan's mask, perhaps indicating that, no matter how hard he tried, he would always be Batman.

The movie is basically about Keaton's struggle not only to be loved by the public, but also to be considered a respected artist, not only a celebrity. I thought of Axl during the movie: how he tried to prove himself as an artist but "in the end" accepted that he is what he is - the lead singer of a popular band, and that people would always remember that first. I mean, I love Chinese Democracy, but Axl has as much street cred as a potato.

Edited by ManetsBR

I didn't think of Axl at all throughout that film :P. Definitely one of the best films I've watched in a very, very long time though. Hilarious in very black comedy kind of way, also that soundtrack was fantastic!

I can Imagine Axl liking the film though, if that helps ;)

This is Axl's career mindset:

Beginning of GNR: he's hungry for success and driven by the chance to be a huge band and famous.

GNR becomes famous: Axl doesn't like this, he achieved his goal but being famous isn't that fun, the media sucks, people suck, life sucks.

Rebuilding GNR: Axl is out of touch with the industry, he goes on a creative rampage that leads to Chinese Democracy

Chinese Democracy: people make fun of Axl for his creative efforts. Axl says F it. I'm rich, I achieved all my goals, my career will always be a success, time to get drunk, have fun and stop trying. "Screw you guys, ima goin home!...or on tour for fun"

Point is I think Axl hasn't had anything to prove for a while. I think he felt like he made it a long time ago. What CD was was a really free thinking Axl that attempted to bring every idea out, not a hungry Axl that wanted to be famous...again.

No, he's not like Birman. Michael Keaton became relevant again. And Axl is where...?

Catty bitch :P

if Axl shot his nose off on stage I think he could achieve the same status.

Exactly. Axl wanting to keep the GNR name alive is pretty much what throw it into shit.