Paul Tobias

I was searching on Google on the reason of Tobias departure from GNR, but I can't find a clear answer to that. He was very good friend with Axl and contributed to many songs like Back Off Bitch, OMG, TWAT, TIL, SFTD, Chinese etc. Why did he left?

If another album is released it's not unlikely that we'll hear Paul on it. As IncitingChaos wrote (and as far as I remember) the reason he was replaced with Richard was that he wasn't comfortable touring.

EDIT: In his biography on mygnr.com Axl eplains it:

Here's what Axl Rose had to say about it in a august 14th 2002 official press release: "Paul helped us a lot in the writing and the recording of this record and to me was a vital part of not only the band but also my life. The world tour really wasn't his cup of tea whereas he's much more comfortable in a studio setting. We're fortunate to have found Richard who has this vibe kind of like Izzy but with amazing feel."

Edited by Matthias

I guess Paul missed a big opportunity in making big $$$ from touring, I don't think so Axl even meets or talks to Paul, All of that Paul being in the studio and helping is total bullshit, If by chance Axl would see Paul like how he met Duff after a long time, then Axl would talk to him, but I guess Axl doesn't talks to him on a daily basis and they are not the best buddies who hang out all the time, TB said the same thing about Brain that he is still a part of the band and he is "helping" in the studio.

Paul being in the studio is not total bullshit. At least it wasn't in around 2006/7. I remember Ron giving an interview (was it with Eddie Trunk) and he mentionend Paul.

Well Richard said that when he joined the band in 2002, most of the parts were already recorded before he joined by Paul, Robin and Buckethead. Ron would have mentioned that even Paul recorded the parts before

In Terms of Guitar parts, Robin and Buckethead contributed a lot more, Paul just helped Axl in writing some parts of some songs, but Axl is the main person who wrote most of it

What the heck does Tobias do? He doesn't seem to have ever been in a band or had a side career? Even Del had at least an attempt at a career, as RIP editor and (failed) horror writer. I am not knocking the guy but Tobias' life is a complete mystery. He goes under two names, 'Huge' or 'Tobias', for reasons that are not really apparent; was allegedly a Lafayette songwriting friend of Axl's; consequentially pops up on Shadow of Your Love and Back off Bitch during GN'R's heyday; seemed to have been a member of Axl's GN'R 1994-2001; then, disappears into obscurity again! Axl's statement on his departure is full of Axlspeak and therefore should not be taken seriously.

All I can find out about the guy is he had a band in the naughties called Mank Rage.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

What the heck does Tobias do? He doesn't seem to have ever been in a band or had a side career? Even Del had at least an attempt at a career, as RIP editor and (failed) horror writer. I am not knocking the guy but Tobias' life is a complete mystery. He goes under two names, 'Huge' or 'Tobias', for reasons that are not really apparent; was allegedly a Lafayette songwriting friend of Axl's; consequentially pops up on Shadow of Your Love and Back off Bitch during GN'R's heyday; seemed to have been a member of Axl's GN'R 1994-2001; then, disappears into obscurity again! Axl's statement on his departure is full of Axlspeak and therefore should not be taken seriously.

All I can find out about the guy is he had a band in the naughties called Mank Rage.

I assume he most prob went back to Indiana, he was never a good guitarist and dint get along with Slash, Del was the clever one, he stuck with Axl and now thats his bread and jam, If Paul had sense then he could have made big $$$ from touring and Axl always supported him, In regards to contributing guitar stuff, he dint do any shit, most of the guitar stuff was done by Robin and Buckethead, he did some writing on TWAT and Prostitute, most prob he sat in the studio from 1997 to 2001 to just set up the equipments and sit and chill with the other members, Matt had said that Paul started to talk crap about Slash that was it for Matt.

Paul being in the studio is not total bullshit. At least it wasn't in around 2006/7. I remember Ron giving an interview (was it with Eddie Trunk) and he mentionend Paul.

Well Richard said that when he joined the band in 2002, most of the parts were already recorded before he joined by Paul, Robin and Buckethead. Ron would have mentioned that even Paul recorded the parts before

In Terms of Guitar parts, Robin and Buckethead contributed a lot more, Paul just helped Axl in writing some parts of some songs, but Axl is the main person who wrote most of it

In the Interview I'm talking about Ron mentionend Paul is being in the band, just not touring. It was a fan question, something like 'Who would win a fight between Richard and Paul' and Ron said 'Richard has got longer arms, but Paul can better kick' and after that the interviewer asked who Paul is and if he's still in the band which Ron confirmed. At least that's how I remember it. ;) So Ron knew Paul personally.

As for Pauls contributions to CD, just check the writing credits.

Edited by Matthias

If you wanna get Chinese Democracy signed by all members involved, I guess his autograph is the second hardest (after Bucket) to get.

I guess Bucket doesnt wants to do anything related to Chinese, in one of the threads I saw that someone gave bucket to sign on it, but he refused and as for Paul, no one knows where he is except for Axl or his close friends, I guess the current band members also dont know where he is, I guess Del or Dizzy would know

Paul hates to play live and tour.

He done the RIR 3 show with GNR because they didn't have a rhythm guitarist because Axl wanted 3 guitarist.

Well Tobias dint only do the RIR3, he did HOB also

Someone a few years ago tracked down Paul and found he works in investments/finances. I think it may have been that dude that runs the GNRNews twitter. He said Paul works in finances and investment now, but still receives Christmas gifts from Axl every year. Also, I remember during the chats, Axl mentioned Paul helped get the album credits together.

I would have to guess that they are still on relatively good terms.

Axl's supposed first high school band.

A.X.L. (1976-1979)

Vocals Bill Bailey
Lead Paul Tobias
Rhythm Mike Hammernik
Bass Dave Lank
Drums Jeffrey Isabelle

Shadow of Your Love and Back Off Bitch presumably came around then.

Then there's Mank Rage he was in, which I assume never did release that album?