Who could replace BFF?

Current GN'R need Ron more than people think. He was like the glue that bring the band together.

It's just insane by 2009 how top notch he was, handling every solos so perfectly and easily. He has worked his ass off.

Oh, and what about Estranged?

DJ needs to step up, and prove than he can be a great lead guitarist in gnr, and not just being the new guy.

Bucket is kind of organic shred though. Even I can pick out Rons shred because its so shreddy. Bucket is like robot blues.

I guess right now without Ron they would struggle to tour. Fortus and Dj would have to reimagine or at least cover some of Ron or Bucket solos. These are pros.

Could Dj play the Chi dem solo his way?

He already does TIL?

SOD?

Better? Dj has a remix of it?

Catcher? Might not play it?

To me they aren't the pyrotechnical ones.

So they debut a couple new ones in 2021 at Rio. Fortus graduating to lead.

Biggest concerns are Sweet Child O' Mine, You Could Be Mine or Nightrain. They sure need a better lead guitarist than DJ.

Songs like Chinese or Shackler would sound empty without Ron with all the riffs during the verses, his fretless guitar is a big part of the sound.

Richard can handle Catcher.

I think we can say goodbye to If The World, Scraped or There Was A Time. Ron was very important on Better too.

Drop Shacklers, If the World, Scraped, TWAT I guess. They never played them much anyway.

For Rock in Rio it's just Chi dem, Better Dj, SOD, TIL.

I think Dj can handle Chi dem. and I'm sure he wants SCOM duty.

If Izzy came back that would cover YCBM and Nightrain. That's a long shot though. Over to Fortus on these? Or drop them for Atlas and The General. Maybe work up Pretty Tied Up for Rio return.

Ron was kind of the Estranged champion too wasn't he?

Bucket is kind of organic shred though. Even I can pick out Rons shred because its so shreddy. Bucket is like robot blues.

I guess right now without Ron they would struggle to tour. Fortus and Dj would have to reimagine or at least cover some of Ron or Bucket solos. These are pros.

He already does TIL?

SOD?

Biggest concerns are Sweet Child O' Mine, You Could Be Mine or Nightrain. They sure need a better lead guitarist than DJ.

Songs like Chinese or Shackler would sound empty without Ron with all the riffs during the verses, his fretless guitar is a big part of the sound.

I think we can say goodbye to If The World, Scraped or There Was A Time. Ron was very important on Better too.

I wish they'd go back to 2001-2002 style ChiDem, with only the cool bass line and the synth drone during the verse.
  • Like 1

He already does TIL?

SOD?

Drop Shacklers, If the World, Scraped, TWAT I guess. They never played them much anyway.

If Izzy came back that would cover YCBM and Nightrain. That's a long shot though. Over to Fortus on these? Or drop them for Atlas and The General. Maybe work up Pretty Tied Up for Rio return.

Duff learned Better, TIL, Catcher and ChiDem. Four CD songs on the CDII tour seem just about right. Maybe put Madagascar, SOD or Sorry for the fans.

Fortus the new Nightrain guy?

By now, they might be figuring out which new songs involved too much BH/BBF, and keep them dusty in the vault for 2030.

Edited by Silent Jay

He already does TIL?

SOD?

Duff learned Better, TIL, Catcher and ChiDem. Four CD songs on the CDII tour seem just about right. Maybe put Madagascar, SOD or Sorry for the fans.

By now, they might be figuring out which new songs involved too much BH/BBF, and keep them dusty in the vault.

I doubt there is heavy BBF. I know he did stuff on Chi dem but can anyone tell?

For sake of speculation say they play

Chi dem

Better

TIL

Catcher

Jackie Chan

Soul Monster

The General

Atlas Shrugged

Would that be enough for a tour?

He already does TIL?

SOD?

By now, they might be figuring out which new songs involved too much BH/BBF, and keep them dusty in the vault.

Chi dem

Better

TIL

Catcher

Jackie Chan

Soul Monster

The General

Atlas Shrugged

Ron one day said most of the unreleased stuff are like Scraped. Heavy fretless BBF on Jackie Chan, and BBF doing his best impression of Brian May on Atlas Shrugged.

Soul Monster is Robin.

The General is Buckethead.

Hopefully Finck comes back.

Let Finck/Fortus pretty much halve the solo duties. Fortus deserves the shot at this point. But yeah, getting Finck back would be pretty big, establishes some continuity / legitimacy again and let's the band move forward. That's the most realistic better-case scenario that I can think of. Gives Axl the great light for the CDII material instead of having somebody re-re-record something.

If DJ and Axl weren't besties you could have the more ideal lineup of Finck/Fortus/New Virtuoso-Shredder.

Maybe Ole Beich could rise from the grave and switch over to guitar so Dizzy could take over rhythm duties.

Then Dave Gilmour could share lead duties with Jack White.

They'd probably have to add them in on The General and Atlas Shrugged before they could be released as singles for the new album though, otherwise the trilogy mighnt make the top 10.

The deep cuts like Cock A Roach Soup will ensure the album isn't underrated.

• Like 2

What's with all the Fortus love? He's a great rhythm player, but have we seen enough lead from him to know that he can handle the shred parts on CD?

He doesn't play foot-shaped guitars or fucks up 90% of what he plays. I can totally understand the love for him.

What's with all the Fortus love? He's a great rhythm player, but have we seen enough lead from him to know that he can handle the shred parts on CD?

He doesn't play foot-shaped guitars or fucks up 90% of what he plays. I can totally understand the love for him.

I get liking the dude for being dependable and not doing any stupid gimmicks, but I don't get the assurance he could handle the Buckethead (and even Bumblefoot) parts on the songs. Maybe he could, but have we seen it before?

I get liking the dude for being dependable and not doing any stupid gimmicks, but I don't get the assurance he could handle the Buckethead (and even Bumblefoot) parts on the songs. Maybe he could, but have we seen it before?

My guess is he can't. He plays fast but it's a completely different style. I doubt they will play a lot of CD material if they ever tour again. Ashba and him would do fine in a GH (Slash songs) setlist.

My guess is he can't. He plays fast but it's a completely different style. I doubt they will play a lot of CD material if they ever tour again. Ashba and him would do fine in a GH (Slash songs) setlist.

Yeah, in truth I see them opting out of CD material in the future. Better, This I Love & the title track may stick around, but not much else. Unless, of course, Axl gets a big rush of energy to push things forward.

He already does TIL?

SOD?

Chi dem

Better

TIL

Catcher

Jackie Chan

Soul Monster

The General

Atlas Shrugged

Four songs you've never heard, do you not se how silly it is to talk about unreleased songs? Those songs could all be terrible like Silkworms or Oh My God.

8 songs from CD and CD II would be quite enough for any particular GnR show, facts are that 8 would likely be too many. If they played that many, they either have to play longer or drop actual hits from the set... people aren't going to come see GnR without the hits. Also, what's all this about Rock In Rio and Rock In Rio 2021? this forum has really! gone off the deep end :facepalm:

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

With Fortus it was his reworking of Heavens Door that made me notice. Just the way he was connecting with Axl. Even Dj hasn't done that yet, unless you count the low fives and ass pats. Axl, Tommy and Dj seem down to wrestle.

Edited by wasted

Izzy, Fortus, Dj seems like a good trio.

Izzy is not reliable, and he likely has no interest in being in GnR without the old guys. He is happy to jam from time to time, but he does not want to play full tours, how many tours of his own has he done in recent years? exactly. There's more chance of Gilby coming in than Izzy... and there's no chance of that either. The replacement for BF will be another guitar player cut from the same cloth as BF and BH, Axl is not going to turn away from the CD direction now, he's determined to go through with his vision... now when it actually comes to fruition is another story. The next GnR guitar player is going to be able to tap, shred and do all the flamboyant aerodynamic stunt guitar that Bumble and Bucket did, the new player will likely take a similar amount of time to fit in wit the band musically, BF was a sore thumb on that 2006/07 tour, but he gelled perfectly in 2009-2014.

Chinese Democracy seems to be a staple of the set, you can't play it right without the fretless so whoever joins will need to be handy with a fretless. Funny thing is that he or she will likely have to use a BF signature guitar to play the parts as I can't think of another guitar company that makes double necks like that.