New Bumblefoot interview: "I Couldn't Wait Any Longer To Release This Record"

"I started writing songs specifically knowing that it was time to make a new album — which it's been time for a long time, it's just I felt like it was reaching the point where I couldn't wait any longer. It was, like, that point when you're holding your breath under water, where either you need to pop up for air or you're gonna inhale water. It was at that point. It was, like, I need to do this now or I'm just gonna suffocate. I cannot go any longer without having my creative juices flow. It was always so many tours you can do. And it was the end of December 2013, and I just started… I had a few song ideas that I was holding off on, just the start of them, but I was leaving them open for possibly doing them with GUNS or doing them with people I was producing. And, finally, I just said, 'All right, let me just move forward with this.' And I started finishing those songs, and writing new songs, and started tracking right in between tours. I finished a South American tour, and jumped in the studio with Dennis Leeflang, the drummer, and we recorded half the album. Then I did another tour, [i was] home for three days, and then we did another tour — that 'Guitar Gods' tour with Yngwie. And then I got back and finished the rest of the drums and then kind of took it easy, travel-wise, for the rest of last year and just really focused and kept momentum and finished the album."

• Like 2

Slash's Snakepit all over again, it seems.

Seemingly so. So we only have what, 13 years to wait for the next album?

Probably. All I can say is that you'll have a guaranteed 'Sorry Part II' dedicated to the Foot in the next album.

lol next album

:)

That is such a bummer to read.

All these fantastic musicians keep leaving GnR because of Axl's unwillingness to create new music - or to release new music.

At some point doesn't Axl and The Beta go "well, we've put out one album in the last 20 years. Our main guitar players keep quitting and Bumblefoot is clearly about to quit the band. We have two finished albums in the can. Maybe we should release new music?"

All these fantastic musicians keep leaving GnR because of Axl's unwillingness to create new music - or to release new music.

At some point doesn't Axl and The Beta go "well, we've put out one album in the last 20 years. Our main guitar players keep quitting and Bumblefoot is clearly about to quit the band. We have two finished albums in the can. Maybe we should release new music?"

The thing is, there's probably nothing ready to be released yet. Axl probably lied about having a done record. We all know he has tons of material but he's not interested in working, or at least working hard on them. Axl will not release music ever again because he clearly gave up after CD. It's a shame but it's the most likely scenario. We only have CD because the leaks forced its release. If it was up to Axl, CD wouldn't be out.

• Like 1

The thing is, there's probably nothing ready to be released yet. Axl probably lied about having a done record. We all know he has tons of material but he's not interested in working, or at least working hard on them. Axl will not release music ever again because he clearly gave up after CD. It's a shame but it's the most likely scenario. We only have CD because the leaks forced its release. If it was up to Axl, CD wouldn't be out.

Regrettably, that's probably true. From his chats he made it sound like even getting "this version" of CD out was a gigantic struggle (except he used the phrase "nothing short of a miracle" or something).

Edited by BangoSkank
  • Like 2

I just don't know how people can keep defending Axl (and I'm not saying people are here, I'm just saying in general). He gets these musicians, and keeps them held as prisoners. These excellent musicians. You have Buckethead, you have Fortus, you have Finck, you have Bumble who I even grew to like in the 10 years he was with this band. You have these more than capable musicians who would love to make a mark with this band and move it into a new direction. And they just simply can't. All at the hand of one Mr. Axl Rose. And for whatever reason it is that he just can't and doesn't move this brand forward. Its the saddest thing ever. These guys are musicians. They just want to make music. I don't know what Axl's goal is (world domination?) but clearly it isn't that. Its so evident going all the way back to Snakepit, where Slash was just like "fuck, I wanna make some songs man." To me, its amazing how articulate and level headed these members are that leave, and people STILL stick with Axl. Its just really unfathomable. He does everything he can to pretty much make you hate him, yet he still has a very loyal fanbase. Either they're delusional, or he was just THAT good in 87-93 that people are willing to see if he'll ever make that kind of comeback. Probably a little of both.

• Like 4

I just don't know how people can keep defending Axl (and I'm not saying people are here, I'm just saying in general). He gets these musicians, and keeps them held as prisoners. These excellent musicians. You have Buckethead, you have Fortus, you have Finck, you have Bumble who I even grew to like in the 10 years he was with this band. You have these more than capable musicians who would love to make a mark with this band and move it into a new direction. And they just simply can't. All at the hand of one Mr. Axl Rose. And for whatever reason it is that he just can't and doesn't move this brand forward. Its the saddest thing ever. These guys are musicians. They just want to make music. I don't know what Axl's goal is (world domination?) but clearly it isn't that. Its so evident going all the way back to Snakepit, where Slash was just like "fuck, I wanna make some songs man." To me, its amazing how articulate and level headed these members are that leave, and people STILL stick with Axl. Its just really unfathomable. He does everything he can to pretty much make you hate him, yet he still has a very loyal fanbase. Either they're delusional, or he was just THAT good in 87-93 that people are willing to see if he'll ever make that kind of comeback. Probably a little of both.

What did Axl mean by "round one"..........

It's a bit of a dichotomy for Axl at this point, IMHO. On the one hand judging from the muscians he's brought into the band, he wants to people who are talented and creative and have fan appeal. On the other hand he wants people who will sit back, shut up and just play the classics on endless tours. And you can't really have both of those things all of the time.

If Axl dooesn't want to make new music - you know, that's his choice. He doesn't have to. It's sad but it is what it is. But if that's how he feels, he should stop hiring talented and creative people who seem to think that there's a chance that GnR might be a collaborative effort where they can contribute to new work. He should just be point-blank that he simply wants session musicians/a backup band who will soldier on with the classics and never even think they have a shot at creating new GnR music.

Yeh, that pretty much sums up what we all already knew. Bumble wanted to be in a functioning or semi functioning band and that's obviously not what he got. I have no idea why Axl would let a situation like this arise.

Here's what we know 1) bumble tried to push for new music 2) he wrote some ideas and wanted to develop them with the band 3) he proposed releasing a song before each leg of the tour, because management / Axl didn't want to take 6 months off from touring 4) he got none of those things, burned himself out 5) now we have a band full of people happy to just go along with it and if something happens it's "I'm free, whens the tour...? great! see ya then" nobody pushes for new music and nobody cares...

I always believed that Axl truly cared about making music, and I believed that the reason he didn't release CD in the early 00s was that he didn't have a band behind him that were solid enough. Now, it's glaringly obvious that he just doesn't have the drive or ambition to go out and prove himself. I don't count sporadic touring of old material (yes, CD is now old material... new compared to 80s 90s guns, but come on!) to be proof of drive / ambition.

I hold out a glimmer of hope that I'm wrong and that he can get the already "FINISHED" album (not the remix album... that can remain in the vault) to a record company and release the thing before then end of the year.

• Like 3

What did Axl mean by "round one"..........
He got knocked out in the first round.
  • Like 4

I'm sure we'll hear another couple of GnR records.... I don't get why everyone thinks that we'll never hear anything new again.

We know there's atleast 2 other albums worth of stuff, we know Axl has written more since, we know the band has written more since. It seems to be that Axl doesn't want to put the energy into getting everyone together to record the damn thing....

OR, there's another possibility.... He could very well be working on the next album exactly like he worked on CD, he could, for all we know, be spending days on end in the studio with different producers working on the final version of the next album and he's just keeping it on the down low to avoid the build up that CD had, which also caused it's downfall....

Think about it, EVERYONE besides Dj recorded stuff during the CD session, we know that. There's no need to have them rerecord stuff. Dj probably recorded stuff when he joined in 2009. There's no need to record anything if that's the case. Everyone seems to agree that there is a large amount of completed songs which just have to be sorted through. The CD era seems to be over at this point, which means it's time for a new era, which opens the door for a new album. Axl seems happy with his life, I doubt he's giving up on putting out a new album. My guess would be we'll have a new album within the next 2 years of CD era stuff, then maybe another 3-5 years down the road an album of stuff from the current lineup.

Round 1 is over after 20 fucking years.... The current lineup is actually somewhat respected by the general public, now is the time.

Edited by liers