Is there anything fundamentally wrong with being a nostalgia act?

Where are people on AC/DC being a "nostalgia act"?

Who have just released a brand spanking new album!

There is literally no one who is more the nostalgic act than Axl, unless you start sifting through Elvis revival acts.

I for one do not consider posthumous albums part of an artist's discography. They are hodgepodge collections of leftovers thrown together in order to get a cash grab. Honestly none of them are even any good, including the Hendrix and MJ albums. Utter garbage compared to their true albums....

First Rays of the New Rising Sun is a borderline masterpiece.

Jimi Hendrix and Michael Jackson have both released two albums apiece since Axl released Chinese Democracy and they are both dead!

Words literally cannot describe the laziness of Axl.

Im sure that MJ's next album will come out before CD 2

I for one do not consider posthumous albums part of an artist's discography. They are hodgepodge collections of leftovers thrown together in order to get a cash grab. Honestly none of them are even any good, including the Hendrix and MJ albums. Utter garbage compared to their true albums....

Ummm Coda is definitely a part of Zeppelin's discography

Some of the Hendrix ones are really good too. They aren't meant to be held in the same regard as albums that predate them, but they can be great ways of getting music

Where are people on AC/DC being a "nostalgia act"?

Who have just released a brand spanking new album!

There is literally no one who is more the nostalgic act than Axl, unless you start sifting through Elvis revival acts.

First Rays of the New Rising Sun is a borderline masterpiece.

Yeah, you can still release new stuff and be a nostalgia act. Its ok in AC/DC's case. They've never been one to push boundaries and have had a long career to back up their current state.

And yeah, that is a great album

Edited by ZoSoRose

New Rays was more or less a repackage of Cry of Love, and that was a really good posthumous album. It's like talking about Jeff Buckley's Sketches, they had a lot of finished songs, but no one will ever know the definitive track listing. Eddie Kramer said he was done compiling after People Hell and Angels.

As far as Michael goes, the "posthumous" overkill existed way more with Motown even when he was alive.

The problem is GNR was promised to be more than this shit show. Axl had this vision that apparently was so great and so important that it ruined the greatest rock band in the world. What did we get. Basically AGD rehash for 15 years. Also the "tough macho" guys can say what they want about Bon Jovi but they are NOTHING like GnR at this point. They still put out new music regardless of what you think about it and they sell out every fucking venue they play. GNR wishes they were on Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, AC/DC's level at this point. Truth is they aren't even close.

Jimi Hendrix and Michael Jackson have both released two albums apiece since Axl released Chinese Democracy and they are both dead!

Words literally cannot describe the laziness of Axl.

Jimi Hendrix started playing guitar aged like 12 or 13 and died when he was 27 years old. That means he learned to play guitar, practised to the point of being the best, released three game changing albums and died all in the time it took to create Chinese Democracy, if you think about it thats fucking hilairious, the best to ever do it learned his craft and cemented his position as the best to do it in the time it took to make Chi Dem. I find that fucking mindblowing. Jimi Hendrixes entire creative contribution to rock music, arguably the most important in its history, was all executed done and dusted in the time it took to make Chi Dem. And it was still shit :lol: And people try and compare Axl & Co to some of the titans of yester-year, it's fucking laughable really.

John Lennons entire existence in the public eye is less than how long it took to make Chi Dem. Lennon was 22 years old when the Beatles got their first hit, thereabouts anyway, he was dead by the time he was 40...so thats 18 years...then chop 5 years of that off where he was not in the public eye and not making music being a house husband, thats 13 years. And in that time he got 10 Beatles albums in, a shitload of solo albums, a handful of films, the most brutal touring schedule ever known and etc etc, all the other things that John Lennon managed in his life that i don't need to explain to you. And Lennon was considered a lazy kinda of chappie really, this is the guy that wrote I'm Only Sleeping.

The idea that Axl Rose is anywhere near the creative level of the guys of that calibre, or even a couple of categories below, is just fucking laughable really and any sober right minded impartial person would laugh you out of the fucking room for even hinting at that shit.

Oh my god, perspective is a bitch :lol:

Yes... there is.

The potential of this band after 93 and what actually got achieved since... what a fucking let down.

I bet theres more than a few people who must look back and think they pissed the next 22 years away compared to what they could have achieved.

By who's standards, yours? The media? The general public? .

EVERYBODY'S!!!!!!!!! If you deny this you are a fuckig lier. Guns N' Roses post Slash let everyone down. EVERYONE!

No way on earth is Bob Dylan a nostalgia act, I'm not having that, no way. A nostalgia act is characterised by the performer being synonymous exclusively with their era and their key works being within that, that is simply not true of Bob Dylan, Dylan has been killing it since day one and is still killing it. Sure every album of his wasn't as substantial as the rest but like...even his recent albums, which are a million miles removed from the work he rose to fame in, are subject to significant acclaim, he doesn't ride off his old work, thats just absolutely false and a massive disservice to one of the true titans of post war popular culture.

• Like 1

The problem is GNR was promised to be more than this shit show. Axl had this vision that apparently was so great and so important that it ruined the greatest rock band in the world. What did we get. Basically AGD rehash for 15 years. Also the "tough macho" guys can say what they want about Bon Jovi but they are NOTHING like GnR at this point. They still put out new music regardless of what you think about it and they sell out every fucking venue they play. GNR wishes they were on Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, AC/DC's level at this point. Truth is they aren't even close.

Bon Jovi haven't had a decent song in years (Sambora has left now, because he knows the ride's over) AC/DC have released the same album since Bon Scott died. Aerosmith last decent album was Just Push Play in 2001. Honestly think Axl didn't want to create 6-7 Appetite style records, while never actually topping Appetite, he went in a different direction, he actually said with changes in bands dynamics (lineup) he had to focus on something else and go in a different direction.

Bon Jovi haven't had a decent song in years (Sambora has left now, because he knows the ride's over) AC/DC have released the same album since Bon Scott died. Aerosmith last decent album was Just Push Play in 2001. Honestly think Axl didn't want to create 6-7 Appetite style records, while never actually topping Appetite, he went in a different direction, he actually said with changes in bands dynamics (lineup) he had to focus on something else and go in a different direction.

Subjective opinion.

Also, Axl didn't go in any direction whatsoever unless that direction entailed sitting in bed and eating doughnuts. There is a complete absence of new material, Appetite style, modern, any kind.

• Like 1

Subjective opinion.

Also, Axl didn't go in any direction whatsoever unless that direction entailed sitting in bed and eating doughnuts. There is a complete absence of new material, Appetite style, modern, any kind.

Down to McDonalds, thats the only fuckin' direction Axl went in :lol:

Great response guys. Tell me this then, who could release an album in 2008 that the media/public/internet totally ate up, while being the only remaining original member, while touring that same album 6-8 years before it came out and 6-7 years after it came out, nostalgia or not, Axl Rose had the people in his palms, that's how Chinese Democracy sold 6-7 Million copies, because people are infatuated with him & Guns N' Roses.

Great response guys. Tell me this then, who could release an album in 2008 that the media/public/internet totally ate up, while being the only remaining original member, while touring that same album 6-8 years before it came out and 6-7 years after it came out, nostalgia or not, Axl Rose had the people in his palms, that's how Chinese Democracy sold 6-7 Million copies, because people are infatuated with him & Guns N' Roses.

Is this the same album which flopped like your granny's saggy breasts and disappeared without a trace? The only thing Axl had in his palms was a cheeseburger.

Whether an album is "decent" or not is largely subjective; I think the point in this post is whether there's any material actually being released.

In Aerosmith's case, they've released five studio albums and two live albums since 1993, with the largest gap being from 2005 (Rockin the Joint live album) to 2012 (Songs from Another Dimension). IIRC Steven Tyler was battling Hep C and Tom Hamilton had cancer twice during that break, and they toured anyway. That's a pretty steady output.

Is this the same album which flopped like your granny's saggy breasts and disappeared without a trace? The only thing Axl had in his palms was a cheeseburger.

Does mother nature depend on Chinese Democracy staying in the charts for 25 years?

Lol WK. You are confusing your personal preference over logic and fact.

You don't like BJ's latest stuff....neither do I. But you know who does? Millions of his fans.

His 2013 album almost sold 2 million copies. It hit number one on Billboard - CD didn't. And BJ still sells out pretty much every show - Axl doesn't.

The sad thing is that Axl could match the BJ and ac/dc of the world. Axl just has chose to not even try.

Rock isn't dead. There is still a market for CDs. There is still an American audience for rock tours. All those excuses are idiotic. Axl has just chosen to not try anymore. For whatever reasons.

It is his life and career, Axl can do whatever he wants with them. But in the end the losers are GnR fans.

Lol 6-7 million copies? Statements like that make anything you say lack much credibility.

Lots of bands could do what Axl did. Especially with a 13 million dollar budget and 13 years to work on an album. Chinese sold 3 million copies because of the 17 year wait between Illusions and CD.

that's how Chinese Democracy sold 6-7 Million copies

6-7 million? :rofl-lol:

Link me to a reliable source for that.

149p3dj.jpg

This is from late 2008-early 2009. You telling me it hasn't sold another 3-4 million worldwide, six years later?

@zoso,

We are going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to Coda. I do like some of the songs on, Poor Tom especially. But I still don't consider it a true Zeppelin album because had Bonham not died, that was not the album we would have gotten next. So it has to be, by that fact alone, considered a posthumous album. Hell in through the out door (which is one of my personal favs) is a masterpiece compared to Coda. Plus when you consider it is mostly leftover tracks, that screams of posthumous album.

Hendrix does have some decent posthumous albums, but they don't even compare to his real 3 and band of gypsies. Plus songs like Dolly Dagger and some of the other ones sound weak when compared to his earlier recordings imo.

@zoso,

We are going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to Coda. I do like some of the songs on, Poor Tom especially. But I still don't consider it a true Zeppelin album because had Bonham not died, that was not the album we would have gotten next. So it has to be, by that fact alone, considered a posthumous album. Hell in through the out door (which is one of my personal favs) is a masterpiece compared to Coda. Plus when you consider it is mostly leftover tracks, that screams of posthumous album.

Hendrix does have some decent posthumous albums, but they don't even compare to his real 3 and band of gypsies. Plus songs like Dolly Dagger and some of the other ones sound weak when compared to his earlier recordings imo.

No, I agree with that. I just really like Coda. It definitely doesn't compare to their other output, though. Sometimes I'll just really be in the mood for some Darlene, Ozone Baby, Poor Tom, etc. :headbang:

149p3dj.jpg

This is from late 2008-early 2009. You telling me it hasn't sold another 3-4 million worldwide, six years later?

Lol

Yes, that's what he is telling you.

We know that a 2,500 week can get an album on the billboard charts.

To reach your figure:

CD would be selling 60,000 units a month, every month, for the past six years.

Using YOUR numbers......CD would be listed in the top 20 for albums sales pretty much EVERY week in EVERY major country. For the past six years.

Can you show us one week that CD was a top 20 album in any major country over the past 5 years? Using the numbers YOU provided there should literally be over 1,000 examples from you to choose from. Just show us a couple of those thousand.

• Like 1

Lol

To reach your figure:

Using YOUR numbers......CD would be listed in the top 20 for albums sales pretty much EVERY week in EVERY major country. For the past six years.

Can you show us one week that CD was a top 20 album in any major country over the past 5 years? Using the numbers YOU provided there should literally be over 1,000 examples from you to choose from. Just show us a couple of those thousand.

Yeah, man- this isn't Dark Side of the Moon or Thriller we're talking about here... with anything close to those numbers you'd see Chinese Democracy on the Billboard Catalog Chart (for example Guns N Roses Greatest Hits topped it back in March 2012).

If Best Buy didn't get suckered into shelling out $14 million for 1.6 million copies who knows what the actual number would be (please see this fun article from a few years back- already an oldie but goodie! :)

Remember all those Dollar Store pics folks were posting 4 or 5 years ago?

Maybe it's moved another 50,000 units in Brazil since 2009... I'd give you that much.

149p3dj.jpg

Lol

To reach your figure:

I got the image from gnr revolution website. I think the album jumped back in the billboard 200, a couple of years ago.

Lol

To reach your figure:

Yeah, man- this isn't Dark Side of the Moon or Thriller we're talking about here... with anything close to those numbers you'd see Chinese Democracy on the Billboard Catalog Chart (for example Guns N Roses Greatest Hits topped it back in March 2012).

If Best Buy didn't get suckered into shelling out $14 million for 1.6 million copies who knows what the actual number would be (please see this fun article from a few years back- already an oldie but goodie! :)

Remember all those Dollar Store pics folks were posting 4 or 5 years ago?

Maybe it's moved another 50,000 units in Brazil since 2009... I'd give you that much.

Greatest Hits is one of the best selling records of the past 10-11 years that is a fact. Its actually rare for it not to be in the billboard 200.