Is there anything fundamentally wrong with being a nostalgia act?

We know all this. So why do people have to hammer home the same old points?

I agree, bub.

It's like the people who bash Slash in every post. Or claim that CD sold 7 million copies.

1089921801.jpg

Are they performing or about to board the next Nasa space mission?

Please stop being so original and funny, we're obviously not worthy of posting alongside someone as hilarious as you.
  • Like 1

Is that Taylor Dayne and Bootsie Collins or D.J Ashba?

I agree, bub.

It's like the people who bash Slash in every post. Or claim that CD sold 7 million copies.

1089921801.jpg

Please stop being so original and funny, we're obviously not worthy of posting alongside someone as hilarious as you.

CD did well. When you look at it objectively it outperformed the public's and critics' expectations.

That's true. Ended up in several music magazines end of year list's also.

So when Best Buy paid $13 million dollars for the most anticipated album of all time they were expecting CD to be at Dollar Stores two years later?

The way you guy revise history is amazing.

I love CD but in no way shape or form did it do better than critics or fans expected or hopes for. To say that it did is just a flat out lie.

You might be thinking of WOF which actually has exceeded expectations and made numerous top 10 lists.

CD did well. When you look at it objectively it outperformed the public's and critics' expectations.

That's true. Ended up in several music magazines end of year list's also.

So when Best Buy paid $13 million dollars for the most anticipated album of all time they were expecting CD to be at Dollar Stores two years later?

The way you guy revise history is amazing.

I love CD but in no way shape or form did it do better than critics or fans expected or hopes for. To say that it did is just a flat out lie.

You might be thinking of WOF which actually has exceeded expectations and made numerous top 10 lists.

I'm not getting into this again. Don't seem to recall Interscope/Geffen complaining when they received a cheque for 13 million dollars.

I agree, bub.

1089921801.jpg

That was really cool. It'd be awesome if someone I know played the Super Bowl.

It flopped. Deal with it.

It's amazing how these people revise history.

Do you think they actually believe what they post or are they just t-rolling as a tactic for their weird Axl Defense Team thing they do? People don't serious believe CD was a huge success, sold 7 million copies and that playing the Super Bowl and releasing albums is a bad thing.....do they?

I agree, bub.

1089921801.jpg

99.999% of people in the world agree with you. A few people on here disagree, but just because it was Slash who did it. To be a true Axl and GnR fan you have to hate everything Slash does.

As a general rule, I do dislike the super bowl halftime show, but that has nothing to do with the acts that have done it, I just find the entire thing to be very blah...

But having said that, the Prince one from a few years back stands out in my mind, as does the rolling stones. I remember thinking the who sounded awful. Most of the time it is pop acts that I could give a rats ass about. Like this past year, I remember the dancing shark more than Katy Perry's performance.

• Like 1

It's amazing how these people revise history.

Do you think they actually believe what they post or are they just t-rolling as a tactic for their weird Axl Defense Team thing they do? People don't serious believe CD was a huge success, sold 7 million copies and that playing the Super Bowl and releasing albums is a bad thing.....do they?

I agree, bub.

1089921801.jpg

99.999% of people in the world agree with you. A few people on here disagree, but just because it was Slash who did it. To be a true Axl and GnR fan you have to hate everything Slash does.

Damn straight

As a general rule, I do dislike the super bowl halftime show, but that has nothing to do with the acts that have done it, I just find the entire thing to be very blah...

But having said that, the Prince one from a few years back stands out in my mind, as does the rolling stones. I remember thinking the who sounded awful. Most of the time it is pop acts that I could give a rats ass about. Like this past year, I remember the dancing shark more than Katy Perry's performance.

Yeah, the half time show is about entertainment, not music.

I've enjoyed a lot of them like Macca, The Stones, Bruce, Petty, U2, Prince, etc and when its pop acts, I like the light and stage shows. Like, Katy Perry's show was awesome because of the spectacle

Slash has no integrity, whereas, Axl Rose has too much integrity to release music that he doesn't believe in 100%. He has so much integrity, musical integrity, that he won't even allow the band he has hired to be involved with the creative process because they might screw it up, nor will he go to the show until he feels he is ready to give the fans the best show possible. OK? Axl Rose is too damned good for this world. The only reason his/THEIR album flopped, is because the media is against him. They tried to bury it. However, the real GNR has taken the world by storm through constant touring and old fashioned word of mouth promotion of the album. But, he will have the last laugh. Because he's gonna rise like the phoenix when the public hears Chinese Democracy for the first time. Then album sales will really spike! And, then, and only then, when the public fully understands what I, and so many other Guns fans already know, that Axl Rose does indeed have a vision, will the next album come out, the second part of the trilogy. It will be the biggest thing to hit the world since the discovery of the dead sea scrolls and it will have more people interpreting it and analyzing it than the Gospel of Judas. Why can't people see this!?

Edited by majormayhem
  • Like 1

Slash has no integrity, whereas, Axl Rose has too much integrity to release music that he doesn't believe in 100%. He has so much integrity, musical integrity, that he won't even allow the band he has hired to be involved with the creative process, nor will he go to the show until he feels he is ready to give the fans the best show possible. OK? Axl Rose is too damned good for this world. The only reason his/THEIR album flopped, is because the media is against him. They tried to bury it. However, the real GNR has taken the world by storm through constant touring and old fashioned word of mouth promotion of the album. But, he will have the last laugh. Because he's gonna rise like the phoenix when the public hears Chinese Democracy for the first time. Then album sales will really spike! And, then, and only then, when the public fully understands what I, and so many other Guns fans already know, that Axl Rose does indeed have a vision, will the next album come out, the second part of the trilogy. It will be the biggest thing to hit the world since the discovery of the dead sea scrolls and it will have more people interpreting it and analyzing it than the Gospel of Judas. Why can't people see this!?

I guess we just aren't as close to the action, Del.

Slash has no integrity, whereas, Axl Rose has too much integrity to release music that he doesn't believe in 100%. He has so much integrity, musical integrity, that he won't even allow the band he has hired to be involved with the creative process because they might screw it up, nor will he go to the show until he feels he is ready to give the fans the best show possible. OK? Axl Rose is too damned good for this world. The only reason his/THEIR album flopped, is because the media is against him. They tried to bury it. However, the real GNR has taken the world by storm through constant touring and old fashioned word of mouth promotion of the album. But, he will have the last laugh. Because he's gonna rise like the phoenix when the public hears Chinese Democracy for the first time. Then album sales will really spike! And, then, and only then, when the public fully understands what I, and so many other Guns fans already know, that Axl Rose does indeed have a vision, will the next album come out, the second part of the trilogy. It will be the biggest thing to hit the world since the discovery of the dead sea scrolls and it will have more people interpreting it and analyzing it than the Gospel of Judas. Why can't people see this!?

Most, actually all of the reviews I saw for Chinese Democracy were rather positive, and I think the media has been pretty complimentary about the live act since Axl reappeared in 06.

Despite that, in my own incidental experience no person I know or know of in real life (as in, not on the internet) even gave CD the time of day.

The local rock radio station, it plays a staple diet of the classic GNR stuff...anyway, they started playing the title track and asked for feedback on it- it got shitcanned and I've never heard it played again.

And GNR were extremely popular here- it's just that the material on CD isn't what the overwhelming majority of people who remotely even give a shit wanted to hear from Axl.

As for the media having it in for Axl, it's always worth keeping in mind Axl's behavior in GNR's heyday, he did a lot of badmouthing and shit talking...I think "the media" takes it pretty easy on him these days actually.

Yes, the media quite liked it. From my experience it was considered a 4/5 album. But it did not resonate with the public in the slightest.

Which to be fair, had more to do with who was not there, not the actual music itself. I'm not going to defend turds like riad and scraped, but CD does have songs that are just as good or better than many Illusion era stuff. If Slash was on CD, with all the same songs, it would have sold more copies and the public probably would have loved it. That's why critics did give it favorable reviews, because it is a good album. But most people can't see past their own noses, let alone a gnr album with no Slash....

I'm not sure if you are serious or not....

• Like 1

I agree, bub.

Exactly.

I should say, though, we discuss the same old topics and make the same old points again and again because you never know when you're going to find an Axl lunatic fan trying to revisit history, by claiming absurd things like... "Chinese Democracy sold 6-7 million copies." :rofl-lol:

Axl fans refuse to accept reality. They also refuse to acknowledge they were wrong. They're as stubborn as their idol, Axl Rose.

Well said.

This has got to be sarcasm. GNR is and always will be one of the classic lineups (Appetite/Illusions era). You can't lose all of the original members and still carry on the torch. GNR isn't even a band today. It's a dictatorship where creativity goes to wither away for a decent touring paycheck. It's a parody of itself, a tribute band clinging to the fumes of what's left of the once great Axl Rose and the illusion of what was once Guns N' Roses.

Why do I come around these parts then if I feel this way? I cling to the hope that Duff is able to get Axl and Slash in a room together and everyone comes to their senses and the two salvage what's left of their careers. It may be a pipe dream from somebody that's delusional when it comes to GNR , but so is believing the current state of GNR is, in fact, GNR.

That's one thing we all here have in common, we're all delusional one way or another.

That make

Yes, the media quite liked it. From my experience it was considered a 4/5 album. But it did not resonate with the public in the slightest.

Which to be fair, had more to do with who was not there, not the actual music itself. I'm not going to defend turds like riad and scraped, but CD does have songs that are just as good or better than many Illusion era stuff. If Slash was on CD, with all the same songs, it would have sold more copies and the public probably would have loved it. That's why critics did give it favorable reviews, because it is a good album. But most people can't see past their own noses, let alone a gnr album with no Slash....

If Slash was on CD the songs would be better, they'd sound better and in turn more people would like it. Everyone I know who heard CD(they only head it because of me, I don't know a single person who bought it or downloaded it) thinks it absolutely sucks. It's an annoying mess of sound for the most part. Yeah maybe people didn't like it because Slash wasn't on it but that's because Slash would've made it better. I mean I'm a huge Guns N Roses fan and I think most of CD sucks. How do you expect the casual fan to react then? Of course they're going to dislike it. This idea that people didn't give it a chance because no Slash is so stale and played out and untrue. People didn't like CD because it wasn't that good. Or at the least wasn't that appealing.

I think the problem is, it is such an unlovable record. There are no hooklines. Lyrically it is just one big negative paean to Steph Seymour. The production is a mess. There are good songs there but at no point have I ever felt the urge to defend CD.

If Slash was on CD the songs would be better, they'd sound better and in turn more people would like it. Everyone I know who heard CD(they only head it because of me, I don't know a single person who bought it or downloaded it) thinks it absolutely sucks. It's an annoying mess of sound for the most part. Yeah maybe people didn't like it because Slash wasn't on it but that's because Slash would've made it better. I mean I'm a huge Guns N Roses fan and I think most of CD sucks. How do you expect the casual fan to react then? Of course they're going to dislike it. This idea that people didn't give it a chance because no Slash is so stale and played out and untrue. People didn't like CD because it wasn't that good. Or at the least wasn't that appealing.
But that's just plain not true. If the album wasn't appealing, then why did it receive favorable reviews? Not because people or media likes Axl. Also when I have seen nugnr in concert, I've heard many people respond positively to the CD songs. I have also heard people (on the way out of the show) talk about how much they like the new songs, and express wanting to buy CD. So to say it is a bad or unappealing album is just plain not true. Or to say or doesn't have hooks is also not true.

Now I'm not going to sit here and defend CD like it was some sort of masterpiece, because it is not. But its not also some steaming pile of dogshit that many people in this forum like to make it out to be. I could go on and on about why it under performed, the highlights would be; lack of promotion, poor first single selection, axl hid, etc. All of these reasons helped the album under perform. Which none of these reasons have to do with the actual album. But as I said before, the lack of slash on it is the biggest reason. The general public just plain didn't give it much of a chance. But the same could be said from all classic bands albums of the last 15 years. People don't care about the new albums from acdc,aerosmith, Metallica, van Halen, etc. The general public just wants them to tour to hear all the classic songs, period. Its us hard cores that actually care about New music. If slash had been on CD, you can make the case he would have made some of the songs better, I'll give you that. But better, twat, sorry, and this I love are the best songs on the album, and they would be just as good with or without slash. It also has some pretty solid songs on it, which most of the album is solid. The only "bad" songs are riad and scraped. Which every slash couldn't of made them better.

If Better had been released as the first single, followed by sorry, then with this I love with TWAT as a b side, it would have performed better with the general public. By how much? Its hard to say, but I do believe it would have been a better run. The general public has a very short attention span, you have to lead with something really strong in order to get people attention. VH made the same mistake leading with Tattoo on their last album, and as a result that album suffered as well. Once people hear that first song, they make up their mind about the whole album. That's just the world we live in today. The general public wanted a classic guns sounding song, like jungle or you could be mine. Which CD lacks that type of song, But it does have classic sounding stuff, they just needed to get them out much sooner. Which better isn't classic sounding, But it is catchy and a strong song. So leading with that, then follow with sorry (which is classic sounding but also New sounding), then lastly go with til which is very classic sounding.

But the only things that CD lacks are slash, a classic rocking song (like ycbm), and less production. But all things considered it is a good album, one of the best rock albums of the last 15 years. Which that has to do as much with the state of rock as it does with the actual album. It is not as good as appetite, lies, or either illusion, but it is better than tsi. I would give it a solid 7.5 to 7.8 type of rating. Which is pretty damn solid in my book.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

But that's just plain not true. If the album wasn't appealing, then why did it receive favorable reviews? Not because people or media likes Axl. Also when I have seen nugnr in concert, I've heard many people respond positively to the CD songs. I have also heard people (on the way out of the show) talk about how much they like the new songs, and express wanting to buy CD. So to say it is a bad or unappealing album is just plain not true. Or to say or doesn't have hooks is also not true.

Now I'm not going to sit here and defend CD like it was some sort of masterpiece, because it is not. But its not also some steaming pile of dogshit that many people in this forum like to make it out to be. I could go on and on about why it under performed, the highlights would be; lack of promotion, poor first single selection, axl hid, etc. All of these reasons helped the album under perform. Which none of these reasons have to do with the actual album. But as I said before, the lack of slash on it is the biggest reason. The general public just plain didn't give it much of a chance. But the same could be said from all classic bands albums of the last 15 years. People don't care about the new albums from acdc,aerosmith, Metallica, van Halen, etc. The general public just wants them to tour to hear all the classic songs, period. Its us hard cores that actually care about New music. If slash had been on CD, you can make the case he would have made some of the songs better, I'll give you that. But better, twat, sorry, and this I love are the best songs on the album, and they would be just as good with or without slash. It also has some pretty solid songs on it, which most of the album is solid. The only "bad" songs are riad and scraped. Which every slash couldn't of made them better.

If Better had been released as the first single, followed by sorry, then with this I love with TWAT as a b side, it would have performed better with the general public. By how much? Its hard to say, but I do believe it would have been a better run. The general public has a very short attention span, you have to lead with something really strong in order to get people attention. VH made the same mistake leading with Tattoo on their last album, and as a result that album suffered as well. Once people hear that first song, they make up their mind about the whole album. That's just the world we live in today. The general public wanted a classic guns sounding song, like jungle or you could be mine. Which CD lacks that type of song, But it does have classic sounding stuff, they just needed to get them out much sooner. Which better isn't classic sounding, But it is catchy and a strong song. So leading with that, then follow with sorry (which is classic sounding but also New sounding), then lastly go with til which is very classic sounding.

But the only things that CD lacks are slash, a classic rocking song (like ycbm), and less production. But all things considered it is a good album, one of the best rock albums of the last 15 years. Which that has to do as much with the state of rock as it does with the actual album. It is not as good as appetite, lies, or either illusion, but it is better than tsi. I would give it a solid 7.5 to 7.8 type of rating. Which is pretty damn solid in my book.

Your entire post is your opinion. I've been to two NuGNR concerts and didn't hear the praise you're talking about. What I did witness was almost silence during CD era songs (people saying WTF is this?), with a few people enjoying them. Probably the diehards like us.

CD can be anything from a piece of shit to a masterpiece, depending on who's listening to it and that person's taste. And for every positive review you speak of, I can give you five negative reviews.

The album itself, musically, is not bad. For a GNR record though, it's missing that "it" factor. And that would be Slash's signature sound. Had Axl released CD as a solo album, it probably would have been much more positively received. But what it isn't is a GNR album, and that's where most of the negativity comes from. Trying to judge a GNR album without Slash on it is like trying to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the jelly. All you got left at that point is a peanut butter sandwich, and that's exactly what CD is.

If it doesn't look like PBNJ, if it doesn't smell like PBNJ, and if it doesn't tastes like PBNJ, it's not PBNJ.

CD is not GNR. It would have been a great Axl solo album, but it will never be judged fairly because Axl insists it's GNR.

Edited by Matt13
  • Like 1