Is there anything fundamentally wrong with being a nostalgia act?

IMO, there's something VERY wrong with being THIS kind of nostalgia act, if you know what I mean:

10_29_12_g_n_r_hrh_kabik-278.jpg

I'm not one who gets caught up in the "name" thing. For me it's always been about the music, not the name of a band.

But this picture.......man. It just sort of sums it all up, doesn't it.

A bunch of guys pretending to be something they are not. I don't even know how these guys could have ever posed for a picture like this and not felt complete and utter embarrassment. In fact I really wonder if you were a fly on the fly what a coversation between these guys sounds like from time to time. I bet they mock the situation badly. They know the whole thing is a farce. They know they are pay check musicians only. They know they are NOT Guns N' Roses.

Kinda like the Kiss guys that replaced Ace and Peter with the make up and all. You just do your job.

• Like 2

Shame the original guys couldn't do their jobs we probably have 8 AFDs by now, GNR Army of fans and Adler riding chicks around hotels like pigs.

8 AFDs would be a shit ton better than 1 CD

1 would probably suffice but Steven would have to not trip on his way to drums. Marty we have to back! Again!

I don't think anyone wanted it to happen, I think even Axl said he would have preferred to keep putting out AFDs and living like the Stones.

Edited by wasted

IMO, there's something VERY wrong with being THIS kind of nostalgia act, if you know what I mean:

10_29_12_g_n_r_hrh_kabik-278.jpg

I'm not one who gets caught up in the "name" thing. For me it's always been about the music, not the name of a band.

But this picture.......man. It just sort of sums it all up, doesn't it.

A bunch of guys pretending to be something they are not. I don't even know how these guys could have ever posed for a picture like this and not felt complete and utter embarrassment. In fact I really wonder if you were a fly on the fly what a coversation between these guys sounds like from time to time. I bet they mock the situation badly. They know the whole thing is a farce. They know they are pay check musicians only. They know they are NOT Guns N' Roses.

Kinda like the Kiss guys that replaced Ace and Peter with the make up and all. You just do your job.

Sums it up for me too guys, I don't really hold anything against the guys in Axl's band (except DJ, cause everything about that guy fucking sucks) or the guys in KISS now because they're doing a job, and I don't think any of them (except Ashba) are under the illusion that they are anything but GNR or KISS.

That said, everytime I see Thayer doing the Spaceman, Singer wearing the cross etc and Ashba copying Slash's moves while wearing the top hat I can't help but get pissed off.

I mean, there are plenty of people out there who have or do imitate Slash but to so blatantly ape the guy when you're in a band called Guns N Roses that is fronted by W. Axl Rose is taking shameless to another level.

I don't think any of these bands are nostalgia bands really. Other than U2 who just rape nostalgia over and over. They all have an element of it but all do enough. It's not a perfect reconstruction in sepia tones.

The Stones show now and Guns is similar nostalgia wise. They arent Abba by a long chalk line of white powder.

The fuck you been?

He was busy working on the final episodes of 2 and a half men. ?

• Like 2

Back in 1989, I was first exposed to Guns n Roses through music videos, posters, magazines, and friends. I thought it was so cool that they swore. While watching the AMA's, I saw Slash and some other guy (Duff) take the stage and say "the f-word" 3 or 4 times before being cut off. It was awesome!!!! But, in 1992, with the heavy airplay of Use your Illusion videos on MTv, and the Freddy Mercury concert, I felt a deep connection to the band for the first time. I couldnt wait for the next album and when I heard TSI I was really disappointed, but I figured the next one would be better. So, 2 years later, I heard Kurt Loder on MTV news reporting that they were beginning work on "Chinese Democracy" but Slash was doing Snake Pit first. I was thinking "Get in the studio and put out a good album! What the hell, Slash! Stop wasting time!". That was the last I heard about them at all for years. They quickly became a forgotten memory. Nobody my age acknowledged them.

I revisited TSI years later and gained a new appreciation for it. And bought the live era album when it came out and was excited because it was as if they really had existed outside my mind. I heard a short interview on MTv with Axl talking about putting the live album together and working on the new album. Then, saw the short haired axl mug shot in RS. Thats when it really sunk in how over Guns were. Oh My God simply confirmed it even more. It would have been so cool just to see Axl on stage performing again.

In 2006, I started finding YouTube videos of the new lineup playing live and listening to Chinese democracy leaks. I was really happy Axl was back in the game, but he sounded awful and the new songs I was hearing were awful and not Guns. But, I chalked them up to being demos and assumed the album would sound better when released. When it was released, it sounded better, but axl didnt sing like he used to. He sounded "cringe worthy" at times. He sounded good on Angel Down, so I don't get it. It must be a choice. Anyway, it was great just hearing and seeing him perform again. I started reading up on the break up of the original band, what caused it, all the tribulations Axl had been through, what nightmares he'd been through in trying to release new material, and his goals for moving the band forward. I joined team Axl. I really wanted to hear his genius and for him to get the respect he deserved. Not just as a rock icon, but as an artist. I was hoping that releasing Chinese would get the ball rolling and give the him and the new line up some momentum. It seemed that the constant touring to promote the album was a good thing and with time, people would see this new line up and how good they were, after some initial resistance when the album was first released. In 2011, they really seemed to be making some positive strides forward and getting the public back. There were naysayers who called them a "glorified cover band." I thought if they could just get in the studio and pump out another album of songs by this current lineup, it would go a long way in legitimizing them. They were going on break, seemed the perfect time to get in the studio and do just that. Then, they could stop doing the old material and they wouldnt get so much grief. I joined this forum and my eyes were opened to truth. As much as I wanted to believe in this band, and give them the benefit of the doubt, that they werent a glorified cover band, the evidence I was seeing wouldn't allow me to go on blindly believing that they had any creative integrity, at least Axl doesn't. Instead, they all went their own separate ways and focused on solo projects. Its like 94 and The Snake Pit all over again. They all seemed to want to make an album together, but Axl doesn't. I can only surmise that he has created this illusion of artistic integrity, that this is not a real band, but a band of hired guns, so Axl can travel the world and pretend to be a modern day Elvis. We've been led to believe otherwise and that is what is so frustrating and makes me feel like I've been duped as a fan.

Why are we talking about U2 on here? it's a GNR forum not a U2 forum

Thank god you're here to remind us that this is a Guns N Roses forum. Things almost got insanely outta control with ALL the U2 talk. We almost went down a dark and lonely path but now we can breathe a sigh of relief that you have shown us the light. Thank Tadsy. We'd be lost without you. LONG LIVE GUNS N' ROSES!!!!!

Didn't Axl sing One with Bomo in the 90s at some point?

No. Not that I know of. He joined U2 on stage for an awful version of Knockin' on heaven's Door though. Axl sang it his way, Bono sang it his way and him and The Edge played something that sorta resembled KOHD. It was terrible haha.

Didn't Axl sing One with Bomo in the 90s at some point?

No. Not that I know of. He joined U2 on stage for an awful version of Knockin' on heaven's Door though. Axl sang it his way, Bono sang it his way and him and The Edge played something that sorta resembled KOHD. It was terrible haha.

I always forget about that. Probably blocked it out, haha. When I first heard about that, I wanted it to be so much better than it was.

Adam Clayton is the cool one. Doesn't he play drums?

CD II is like a 6 pack of Guinness waiting to be sprayed by an Uzi 9 mili.

Dj is the perfect clone of Slash and Mick Mars.

Don't even compare Mick Mars to DJ. It's not even funny.
It's not a comparison, it's cloning.

Dr Feelgood meets Eye of the Tiger.