Regrettable lyrics

downzy

Was running home from the gym yesterday and Get in the Ring came on my iPod. I do still really like the song, but the part where Axl sounds off against journalists he highly dislikes made me wonder how Axl views those lyrics today.

The first time I heard those lines I was 12 years old and thought they were badass and not something you normally hear from a band. Even through my twenties I thought the lyrics were appropriate. But I'm now 35 years old, and listening to those lyrics make me cringe. They just sound so juvenile. Never mind Axl never really backed up his words when being called out by some the journalists he mentioned (I believe Bob Guccioni Jr. told Axl he'd fight him anytime, any place, to which Axl never responded).

While one way to look at it is, well, that was a true expression by Axl at the time and it is what it is, I wonder if Axl, now being in his 50s and hopefully wiser and more mature, looks back at those lines and regrets them.

And that got me thinking about whether there are any other lyrics that he regrets.

My broaching this subject isn't meant to serve as an opportunity to point out all lyrics that you think are bad. So you can save your "all of Chinese Democracy," comments. I'm just curious if there are lyrics by Axl (or even Izzy) where the author now looks back and thinks, "yeah, probably shouldn't have written that." I'm sure there are, just curious what lines you think Axl regrets as man in his 50s who is constantly subjected to his work from 20 to 25 years ago.

I guess OIAM would be the other obvious candidate, it seems to me to be an honest portrayal of a worldview he once had that he doesn't have now living outside of the sticks.

They're seemed to be an "ironic" distancing of self from Back Off Bitch even when it came out, get the impression it was more heartfelt as an angrier younger man.

Shotgun Blues, because WTF is that?!

Was running home from the gym yesterday and Get in the Ring came on my iPod. I do still really like the song, but the part where Axl sounds off against journalists he highly dislikes made me wonder how Axl views those lyrics today.

The first time I heard those lines I was 12 years old and thought they were badass and not something you normally hear from a band. Even through my twenties I thought the lyrics were appropriate. But I'm now 35 years old, and listening to those lyrics make me cringe. They just sound so juvenile. Never mind Axl never really backed up his words when being called out by some the journalists he mentioned (I believe Bob Guccioni Jr. told Axl he'd fight him anytime, any place, to which Axl never responded).

While one way to look at it is, well, that was a true expression by Axl at the time and it is what it is, I wonder if Axl, now being in his 50s and hopefully wiser and more mature, looks back at those lines and regrets them.

And that got me thinking about whether there are any other lyrics that he regrets.

My broaching this subject isn't meant to serve as an opportunity to point out all lyrics that you think are bad. So you can save your "all of Chinese Democracy," comments. I'm just curious if there are lyrics by Axl (or even Izzy) where the author now looks back and thinks, "yeah, probably shouldn't have written that." I'm sure there are, just curious what lines you think Axl regrets as man in his 50s who is constantly subjected to his work from 20 to 25 years ago.

I think the most cringeworthy part of the song is Duff's dedication at the end. Still, like the song as a whole. Its charming in its own juveline idignatious sort of way.

Shotgun Blues, because WTF is that?!

Yeah, I still can't listen to that song due to one line: you can suck my ass. I get that he needed to something to rhyme with the word class, but that line is all sorts of wrong.

• Like 1

I call my mother, she's just a cunt now.

I love that one. It's technically awful though.

"And you...You can suck my ass and I think you're so low class" is horridly horrid. I really hope he regrets ever releasing this shit.

"Seems like forever and a day" - I'll take you can suck my ass instead. A generic as shit and horrid sounding line. I like the rest of the lyrics though

All of Anything Goes is shitty.

One In A Million :facepalm:

Some of the lyrics to Scraped are not even real.

Edited by Rovim

Man, I love the lyrics to Scraped, my favourite thing about that song by a mile! They're some of the few lyrics on that album that aren't completely despondent and self-loathing.

#inconquerable

Ok but you gotta give me "I'll kick your ass like I said that I would" and an I.R.S chorus.

Haha I like those, too. Sorry to me is just a great, bitter "fuck you" song. IRS chorus isn't exactly profound (funny hearing it in context of Zakk saying that Axl said back in the 90s if he tried to write lyrics back then they'd be about lawyers etc.), but I love the lyrics in the one of the verses:

I bet you think I'm doin' this all for my health

I shoulda looked again babe at somebody else

Feelin' like I've done way more than wrong

Feelin' like I'm livin' inside of this song

Feelin' like I'm just too tired to care

Feelin' like I've done more than my share

Could it be the way I've carried on

Like a broken record for so long

There's nothing in ChiDem that makes me cringe like Shotgun Blues or Get in the Ring. Dead Horse's opening lyrics ("sick of this life, not that you care") come across as Cobain Lite and a bit too try-hard, but they're not as bad the Shotgun Blues or Get in the Ring examples.

• Like 1

Good topic, obviously Get In The Ring and Shotgun Blues stick out like dog's balls.

Is Axl ashamed of "woman hating" lyrics?

Nobody's mentioned Silkworms yet, the "pussy full of maggots" line...legend has it that that's been removed?

On a sort of related note, KISS went through a real "bitch hating" phase in the hair metal days too..."Burn Bitch Burn" and all that :facepalm:

The lyrics really don't bother me because they remind me of being a teenager and thinking the irreverence was so cool. I do have a problem listening to some of their songs around my kids, though. Most of the time I don't think they're paying attention to the lyrics, but today I was shown, once again, that I was wrong. My son said, "Hey! Axl's talking about lighting malotov cocktail! Cooooool!" At least I wasn't listening to "Anything Goes!"

I dunno, it's to be understood in context, it's meant to be an addict talking y'know? It's part of the tone of the song, it's very low life-ish.

And i love Shotgun Blues

Nothing...but a fuckin' PUSSY! :D

Edited by Len B'stard

I dunno, it's to be understood in context, it's meant to be an addict talking y'know? It's part of the tone of the song, it's very low life-ish.

I get it, it's still just.. the fuck

Imagine him singing it nowadays though, I call beta, she's just a cunt now :lol: