Phil Lewis (L.A. Guns singer)talks about Axl Rose on Metal Sludge!

Do you have anything in particular you do to stay in shape, vocally, or is it just natural? You didn't force your voice into the distortion that Axl did, and I'd assume that'd be the biggest reason, but you've managed to keep your range and tone better than most.

Just the usual pre show gram of blow and pint O Jack.

Nah, I jest of course. I love Axl's voice, He has the best range of any male singer Ive ever heard and I think a couple of songs on Democracy are vocally brilliant. Bill's biggest problem was he tried way to hard to be Elton John and lost all his urgency and edge. And don't get me started on the dress sense.
There is a poll on the Metal Sludge gossip board about

Phil Lewis VS W. Axl Rose

Who's your favorite?
In your opinion who's better live and who's aged better?

The comment I posted is by Al Snug aka Phil Lewis.

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 1

If you look at pictures of Phil, he's an Axl ripoff, he even try's to sing like him & and he dresses like him.

Considering Axl himself ripped off Michael Monroe, Ian Astbury's bandana and the snake dance from the guy from Shark Island, this is a very bold statement to make.

• Like 1

Axl's vocals are outstanding on Chinese Democracy. Very rare to have someone involved in the music industry point them out as a highlight. Very under-appreciated, IMO.

I've interviewed a few singers/bands from the music industry and GnR genre, and they all have said that Axl sounded great on CD. Dangerous Toys, Junkyard, Babylon AD, Tora Tora and Wild Boyz and they all had positive reviews of Axl and CD.

Do you have anything in particular you do to stay in shape, vocally, or is it just natural? You didn't force your voice into the distortion that Axl did, and I'd assume that'd be the biggest reason, but you've managed to keep your range and tone better than most.

Nah, I jest of course. I love Axl's voice, He has the best range of any male singer Ive ever heard and I think a couple of songs on Democracy are vocally brilliant. Bill's biggest problem was he tried way to hard to be Elton John and lost all his urgency and edge. And don't get me started on the dress sense.

Who's your favorite?

fair points

but i just cheked that forum...

lol, posts like these diminish any credibility they had opinion wise over there

i mean seriously wtf... Axl is a joke now for years, but these post for example is insane

I also prefer Cocked And Loaded over Appetite For Destruction.

Phil is a singer. Axl is a stylist who screeches.

LA Guns was the better (and I guess still is) band over all as well.

Well in the 80s Phil was better live

In the 90s Phil was better live

In the 2000s Phil is better live..

Holy shit, so many idiots over there

Their musical taste/judgement is not even plausible...

(also lolled about hairmetalmusic's posts, sounds exactly like groghan, maybe because it's really him) but i just close it here, because i put him on ignore

Edited by Strange Broue

Axl is vocally brilliant on CD, I honestly don't know how anyone could disagree. I remember when Sorry came out, so many people made fun of Axls vocals on that song. I remember people saying "he sounds like Count Dracula" and what not. Which I always felt was just plain ignorant on people's part, he sounds like Axl. Sorry especially has the most "classic Axl" vocals on the whole album. Plus his vocals on TWAT and Prostitute, if you don't like the songs, that's one thing, but his vocals? Really? Sometimes I swear some of you just want to hate on him just to hate....

• Like 3

http://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=319261

Who's your favorite?

fair points

but i just cheked that forum...

lol, posts like these diminish any credibility they had opinion wise over there

i mean seriously wtf... Axl is a joke now for years, but these post for example is insane

I also prefer Cocked And Loaded over Appetite For Destruction.

Phil is a singer. Axl is a stylist who screeches.

LA Guns was the better (and I guess still is) band over all as well.

Well in the 80s Phil was better live

In the 90s Phil was better live

In the 2000s Phil is better live..

Holy shit, so many idiots over there

Their musical taste/judgement is not even plausible...

(also lolled about hairmetalmusic's posts, sounds exactly like groghan, maybe because it's really him) but i just close it here, because i put him on ignore

Obviously that's me. I posted about my old website many times on this forum. So congrats for discovering and figuring out something that was common knowledge!!!!

But holy crap Crash Diet. You put me on ignore but you can't stop talking about me. Get a grip dude. I actually feel bad that my posts effect you so much. Life is too short to be so angry all the time.

Exactly. If you don't like Axl's vocals on CD, it's because you hate him.

#nugnrlogic

It's funny isn't it. People aren't allowed to not like Axl's vocals or CD. Or to like anybody else better. If they do it's not a matter of personal preference but because they just don't know music and their opinion isn't valid. Blows my mind that people actually think that way. And we think Justin Bieber fans are crazy.