Suicide Squad/Jared Leto as the Joker Thread

Jared Leto is using the same exact voice Heath found for his Joker. I don't like it much. Not when they went to such pains to make the Joker look completely different. If you close your eyes, you would never know this is a new character.

Heath worked really hard to find originality in that role. At first, he couldn't help but sound like Jack Nicholson's Joker. He had to disassociate from that material. Jared Leto would have been well advised to do the same.

David Ayer sucks as a director, too. He's a gritty and interesting writer, but he's got all the competence of a television director.

Edited by appetite4illusions

Jared Leto is using the same exact voice Heath found for his Joker.

Seriously? I hope not.

Not "same exact" but startlingly similar.

Heath "discovered" that voice by first working on the idea that Joker would suck on his cheek wounds. From there, he found a register of voice that was somewhat high, one that was full of mischief and glee. There was almost a whisper-y quality to the way he enunciated words, drawing them out for dramatic effect.

What I see (hear), is Jared Leto just doing the same thing, without sucking on his cheeks. It would be fine if they hadn't gone all out to make Joker look so radically Marylin Manson. I just don't like them cheapening the image and then shoehorning parts of Heath's Joker in.

Jared Leto is using the same exact voice Heath found for his Joker.

Seriously? I hope not.

Not "same exact" but startlingly similar.

Heath "discovered" that voice by first working on the idea that Joker would suck on his cheek wounds. From there, he found a register of voice that was somewhat high, one that was full of mischief and glee. There was almost a whisper-y quality to the way he enunciated words, drawing them out for dramatic effect.

Heath got it from Tom Waits

Heath was also heavily influenced by Alex from The Clockwork Orange and Sid Vicious. It is very clear in his behavior during the film.

Iggy Pop too.

Although Heath tried very hard to do something different than Jack Nicholson, they share some of the same mannerisms and speaking patterns as well, some scenes in Batman with Nicholson are strikingly similar to TDK in tone and style.

I expect Leto to do fine. There's really no evidence that the Joker is a particularly difficult role to handle anyways. Heath gave the character a fresh and interesting taste, but it wasn't revolutionary. There's a lot of inspiration you can draw from to play a role like The Joker. He's already an exciting and eccentric character.

I wasn't bothered by the one line of dialogue from the trailer, although I do notice the similarities in style between him and Heath, but that's forgivable, Heath is a tough act to follow.

I just wish he didn't look so fucking stupid, but hey, I ate shit about Jurrassic World, I wait until we have more footage of him in the role to judge.

The rest of the trailer I'm comfortable saying looks like boring schlock. Leto is why I'll see this movie. Even Harley looks like shit.

Edited by Dan H.

I like the tone of this trailer. It has a similar vibe to the Rocksteady videogames and I feel that's what they should go for.

I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who thought the Nolan movies were shit ( despite actually liking Nolan's other movies ) and hoped for a less realistic take on those characters.

You're not. I hate those adaptations. As movies, they're great, but as adaptations...

Just watched the trailer. I'm not sure what to think. I expected a more significant departure from the Nolan mood.

Killer Croc is in it. You wouldn't find him in a Nolan film.

So I take The Joker is the bad guy in this.

He's probably more prominent in Harley's origin story

Just watched the trailer. I'm not sure what to think. I expected a more significant departure from the Nolan mood.

Green Lantern was their attempt at that. Safe to say they've learned their lesson.

Edited by moreblack

Not sure how I feel about that trailer. Not liking Will Smith and I agree Harley Quinn doesn't seem crazy enough, just childish. As for the Joker, I'm still not sure. If that is him killing the Robin, and it connects with those scenes in the Batman V Superman trailer, I'm liking it.

Not sure how I feel about that trailer. Not liking Will Smith and I agree Harley Quinn doesn't seem crazy enough, just childish. As for the Joker, I'm still not sure. If that is him killing the Robin, and it connects with those scenes in the Batman V Superman trailer, I'm liking it.

I think it's Harley Quinn (2:17 in the trailer). :shrugs:

image.jpg

• 3 months later...