Suicide Squad/Jared Leto as the Joker Thread

He really went deep in his character, I guess the Academy Award for the best actor might go to him next year.

nah, for a variety of reasons.

TDK was Oscar-caliber regardless of Ledger's death. It was an epic crime film/drama that just happened to feature Batman. It also set a huge precedent in terms of being the comic book movie that finally caused more critics/audiences to respect them as more than just dumb entertainment. This looks to be way more of a pulp/genre film, especially paired with Batman v Superman. These just aren't films that will be earning nominations for anything more than visual effects.

Plus, Ledger's performance was a cultural zeitgeist. I don't think he won solely because of his death, but the whole frenzy surrounding the movie, his performance, and the instant legend of it made it iconic.

Leto is working against Ledger in that regard, because he has such a high standard to live up to. Not just the performance itself, but the baggage it inevitably carries with it.

Plus, judging from the trailer, he's respecting Ledger and taking cues from his performance -- not totally reinventing the wheel like Ledger did coming off the back of Nicholson with TDK -- so even if he makes it more 'edgy' and Ayer-esque with the tattoos and grill, it's not going to be a drastic enough difference for people to have their minds completely blown.

Just my opinions, if I'm wrong and he wins awards you can quote my post (I WAS WRONG ABOUT TERMINATOR GENISYS!).

Earlier today...

"We have no plans currently to release the Suicide Squad footage that leaked from Hall H on Saturday. It’s unfortunate and ultimately damaging that one individual broke a long-standing trust we have enjoyed with our fans at the convention by posting early material, which, at this point, was not intended for a wider audience. We are still in production on Suicide Squad, and will have a big campaign launch in the future. Our presentation yesterday was designed to be experienced in that room, on those big screens!"

:lol:

Exposition in the first part was heavy-handed, guess it's a hard sell, and I'm tired of the slowed-down nursery rhyme (or in this case Bee Gees track :P ), but this still looks interesting, different from the MCU which is good. I'll check it out.

Earlier today...

"We have no plans currently to release the Suicide Squad footage that leaked from Hall H on Saturday. It’s unfortunate and ultimately damaging that one individual broke a long-standing trust we have enjoyed with our fans at the convention by posting early material, which, at this point, was not intended for a wider audience. We are still in production on Suicide Squad, and will have a big campaign launch in the future. Our presentation yesterday was designed to be experienced in that room, on those big screens!"

:lol:

Aw, poor them.

Anyway, I think this has some promise to it. Still don't like the look of Killer Croc, and I still don't like the tattoos on the Joker, but Leto looks like he's going to give a good performance nonetheless.

I like the tone of this trailer. It has a similar vibe to the Rocksteady videogames and I feel that's what they should go for.

I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who thought the Nolan movies were shit ( despite actually liking Nolan's other movies ) and hoped for a less realistic take on those characters.

• Like 2

I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who thought the Nolan movies were shit

a5499c8faf234cc22e955d78d86d7e12.jpg

Nah, to each their own :lol: TDK and TDKR are some of my favourite films of all time, though, along with The Prestige, Inception and Interstellar.

Margot Robbie sit on my face plz

• Like 2

I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who thought the Nolan movies were shit

a5499c8faf234cc22e955d78d86d7e12.jpg

Nah, to each their own :lol: TDK and TDKR are some of my favourite films of all time, though, along with The Prestige, Inception and Interstellar.

Margot Robbie sit on my face plz

Apart from Interstellar, Im with you.

I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who thought the Nolan movies were shit ( despite actually liking Nolan's other movies ) and hoped for a less realistic take on those characters.

You're not.

I don't think they're shit exactly, but certainly not all that.

Not entirely sold on Harley Quinn. Leto's laugh is probably the best thing about the teaser. Jai looks like shit and he's the only part of the entire video that is awful. Hopefully I will be able to ignore that if the rest of the movie and its cast are great.