Do you still buy CD's?

Carne_asaDA

Still buy CD's or do you prefer Mp3's ....etc.

The last time i genuinely buy a CD was like in 2004 ( I mean buy a record before hearing the tracks)

i do buy Sabbath's new record and Chinese Democracy plus Death Magnetic (but i heard the tracks before)

But that's all, I'm either download or stream (new) music

I buy cd's, mostly live bootlegs, and recently got back into vinyl.

there is just somthing satisfying for me to hold physical product in my hands. must be a generation thing as my daughters could care less about having something to look at and prefer downloads. :shrugs:

Bootlegs?

For real?

That makes ZERO sense now

I mean i understand the poeple who claim it's good to hold a physical copy, but of a bootleg?

It's not worth it, people who sell bootlegs NOW are scammers, imho

Buying CDs has become expensive. There aren't any stores left, shipping costs are crazy and the digital alternative is cheaper; That said, I have only bought a handful of digital albums. But the time of blind buys is over for me, when I buy a CD I make sure it's a keeper.

Really? I have found the reverse, CDs becoming cheaper and cheaper. I use Amazon Market place a lot. I am into these budget priced boxsets that are prevalent these days, where you can pick up somebody's discography for peanuts. I recently bought all five of The Jackson albums for around a tenner.

This is what I've found. Every now and then I'll buy like 40-50 at a time- because they are so ridiculously cheap.

Hmm, I don't really spend money on music anymore. My priorities have changed recently. If I were buying music, if I wanted an album, I would buy a CD. But these days I make do with free Spotify, AM/FM radio and YouTube. I don't really make time for music any more.

The last time i genuinely buy a CD was like in 2004 ( I mean buy a record before hearing the tracks)

i do buy Sabbath's new record and Chinese Democracy plus Death Magnetic (but i heard the tracks before)

there is just somthing satisfying for me to hold physical product in my hands. must be a generation thing as my daughters could care less about having something to look at and prefer downloads. :shrugs:

Bootlegs?

For real?

I mean i understand the poeple who claim it's good to hold a physical copy, but of a bootleg?

Actually there is still a very healthy market for physical bootlegs. I happen to like physical product of certain shows so I buy it. I also download others that are not as important to me.

It does not have to make sense to anyone but me. Too each his own

Buying CDs has become expensive. There aren't any stores left, shipping costs are crazy and the digital alternative is cheaper; That said, I have only bought a handful of digital albums. But the time of blind buys is over for me, when I buy a CD I make sure it's a keeper.

Really? I have found the reverse, CDs becoming cheaper and cheaper. I use Amazon Market place a lot. I am into these budget priced boxsets that are prevalent these days, where you can pick up somebody's discography for peanuts. I recently bought all five of The Jackson albums for around a tenner.

This is what I've found. Every now and then I'll buy like 40-50 at a time- because they are so ridiculously cheap.

Don't know where you are buying them but real silver disc bootlegs are not cheap as far as I know and I have many sources for them. Are the ones you are buying real silver cd's or CDr's? If they are real silver disc CD's what do you pay for them?

Edited by classicrawker

If something is worth buying I get Vinyl. Only time I will buy a CD is for a lesser known act. I just end up putting the songs on my phone, but I also like having something physiclal.

I only buy CD's and vinyl. A burned cd, or computer file just doesn't do it for me. It never has and it never will. CD's for the car and vinyl for home. Keep it simple folks, but not so simple that you lose the plot about what the listening experience is all about. Iif you sacrifice quality for convenience and portability then it isn't music. What you have then my friend is nothing more than product.

I cannot believe you're serious about that. I get wanting to listen to an entire album, or better sound quality (but why are we even talking about CD then?). But to be able to listen to any song that fits my mood at anytime, is the definition of the music expierence. I dont have time to carry every CD I own, and change them out while driving. Just silly

Edited by LoadedNightraiN

Nah, they are too expensive in Brazil and most of the good albums don't even get released here. I bought NIN's last album in 2013 and nothing since then. Love Spotify, love technology and one day I may start a vinyl collection.

CDs are usually $10-$12 around me so it makes more sense to spend a couple extra dollars than I would on iTunes to get better sound quality and a physical product. Collecting CDs and movies is also a hobby for me so that's another reason. I love displaying them, especially cool, unusual, and rare releases.

One thing, I have never listened to music on the move. I have an Ipod but rarely use it. During the days of walkmen, I never used to use that either. I do not like to listen to music when I am travelling - I prefer to read the paper if I am sitting down. If I am on the bus or in a car I just look out the window. I just like the peace I suppose.

One thing, I have never listened to music on the move. I have an Ipod but rarely use it. During the days of walkmen, I never used to use that either. I do not like to listen to music when I am travelling - I prefer to read the paper if I am sitting down. If I am on the bus or in a car I just look out the window. I just like the peace I suppose.

I'm the polar opposite, i can't STAND walking places without my music, it's the one thing that makes the tedium of things like that bearable. If i want peace in that sense i just put some Miles Davis on or something.

Nothing makes me fuckin' wanna scream more than when I've wondered out the house and left my fuckin' earphones in there. It's harder to get into any aggro with music on too cuz you can't hear what no ones saying to take offence to anything and your less inclined to say anything to anyone else they might take offence to by virtue of the fact you are listening to music.

Well you are a hippy hoppy guy, aren't you? You always see rappers walking around with headphones.

It is just a quirk of mine. I have never been able to listen to music outside.

Yes! i mean not a day goes by here in this sad grey suburb of the south east that i don't see hordes of rappers boppin' up and down the High Street, scaring the bejeezus outta all the grannys :lol:

Bootlegs?

For real?

Actually there is still a very healthy market for physical bootlegs. I happen to like physical product of certain shows so I buy it. I also download others that are not as important to me.

Don't know where you are buying them but real silver disc bootlegs are not cheap as far as I know and I have many sources for them. Are the ones you are buying real silver cd's or CDr's? If they are real silver disc CD's what do you pay for them?

I typically buy them used wholesale in ebay auctions.

• Like 1

Bootlegs?

For real?

I typically buy them used wholesale in ebay auctions.

Yard sales and Salvation Army's are also a great place to pick some up. A nickel, a quarter, you can't beat that.

There used to be HMV, Our Price, Hit Man and Diverse Music all within a ten minute walk on the high street, now all gone. The only one left is WHSmith and that was never all cd's. In fact I think the last cd I bought from an actual shop was in Smiths the Les Miserable soundtrack oddly enough.

If something is worth buying I get Vinyl. Only time I will buy a CD is for a lesser known act. I just end up putting the songs on my phone, but I also like having something physiclal.

I only buy CD's and vinyl. A burned cd, or computer file just doesn't do it for me. It never has and it never will. CD's for the car and vinyl for home. Keep it simple folks, but not so simple that you lose the plot about what the listening experience is all about. Iif you sacrifice quality for convenience and portability then it isn't music. What you have then my friend is nothing more than product.

I cannot believe you're serious about that. I get wanting to listen to an entire album, or better sound quality (but why are we even talking about CD then?). But to be able to listen to any song that fits my mood at anytime, is the definition of the music expierence. I dont have time to carry every CD I own, and change them out while driving. Just silly

I find it exceedingly silly to say you don't have time to put the CD you want to listen to into the CD player. I think that's the difference between what you and I are suggesting. I want to experience sound. You want to consume it. Some people like fully prepared meals. Others don't want to invest the time necessary for a good meal. Music files are shitty fast food.

• Like 1

I put stuff on my phone then use blue tooth to send it to speakers. So I only need my phone in any room.

Most of my friends listen to music this way as well; well actually they don't even put stuff on their phone, they just go to spotify on their phone and select what music they want to hear.

It's not for me. If I want some casual music, I'll just turn on Itunes. If I want to pay attention and really get into an album, I will put on a CD and listen via the sound system. To me right now digital is something disposable and fun for easy access, but I still prefer to make time for an actual physical album.

Edited by Bumblefeet
  • Like 1