No New Album in 2015 (sorry guys)

That's what I'm saying for every block of touring they had a few new songs. Not exactly sure but

2002 - Chi Dem, Riad, The Blues, Madagascar?

2006 - Better, IRS?

2009 - Shacklers, Sorry, This I Love?

2012 - Catcher, TWAT not sure when added

But from 2010 they didn't add much. So it's just 4-5 years without a brand new track. The Seeker was the new song.

Catcher was played in 2009 and 2010. TWAT as far back as 2006 (and 2009/10)

Scraped n' If The World were played 2009-2010, well, in Tokyo 2009 Chinese Democracy was almost played, only Riad wasn't
I guess I'm talking about getting a solid run. Catcher started to played more later. Twat maybe never go a real run, it was a squad player which is shame but its the hardest fucker.

That's what I'm saying for every block of touring they had a few new songs. Not exactly sure but

2006 - Better, IRS?

But from 2010 they didn't add much. So it's just 4-5 years without a brand new track. The Seeker was the new song.

I do admire your ability to put a positive spin on things that most people would see as a negative.
I felt more negative about liking St Anger and DM then going to see Metallica and they only played Beat, Broken, Scared.

Most bands only add 3-4 songs from the new album?

I guess I saw them in early 2001 and they played Chi dem, SOD, Madagascar.

Didn't see them around 2006 bur i would have seen Better, IRS played?

Then in 09 I saw Shacklers, ITW, TIL, TWAT as new songs for me.

If I'd seen the next tour Catcher and The Seeker would be new.

I feel each song on CD was important. At least they believed in the record.

Leaving the Metallica show it was like they done as a band. They just release records on a clock so nobody can say anything. And there's nothing wrong with those songs. Cyanide, All Nightmare Long, Day that never comes. At least Bono makes you listen to his new songs.

After 2011 GNR still playing Chi dem, Better, Street of Dreams, This I Love and Catcher in the Rye?

2006 - Better, IRS?

I do admire your ability to put a positive spin on things that most people would see as a negative.
I felt more negative about liking St Anger and DM then going to see Metallica and they only played Beat, Broken, Scared.

Leaving the Metallica show it was like they done as a band. They just release records on a clock so nobody can say anything. And there's nothing wrong with those songs. Cyanide, All Nightmare Long, Day that never comes. At least Bono makes you listen to his new songs.

After 2011 GNR still playing Chi dem, Better, Street of Dreams, This I Love and Catcher in the Rye?

I agree with you on tha 4 songs being a staple to the set list off Chinese is plenty and respectable. So many hits in there back catalogue that they must play that I think 4 is plenty of songs off Chinese. The problem is we should have had atleast two more records by now (2000-2015) and maybe two songs from each of those records would be set list staples. That would be like 8-10 from axls band which would hv been great.

But yeah here we sit, awaiting the next Nostalgia Vegas shows...

• Like 1

2006 - Better, IRS?

I agree with you on tha 4 songs being a staple to the set list off Chinese is plenty and respectable. So many hits in there back catalogue that they must play that I think 4 is plenty of songs off Chinese. The problem is we should have had atleast two more records by now (2000-2015) and maybe two songs from each of those records would be set list staples. That would be like 8-10 from axls band which would hv been great.

Nothing like a deep fried peanut butter whopper to make you forget about your responsibilities.

I feel like Shacklers and ITW are the singles from CD II.

And Scraped and Sorry are CD III singles.

So I wish they took off live but the fans don't seem that impressed with those 4. Although Shacklers kicks ass live.

Kaneda had a legit source (Bumble) but it turned out not to happen. But it might.

My source was not Ron...I've known Ron since 2008 and have never shared any of our conversations on any forum or with anyone.

I'm still shocked by some of the anti-Ron sentiment that goes around. Ron did more for GNR fans than anyone else. Can you blame the guy for being frustrated? These guys were asked to be the new GNR and then never allowed to truly write a new history for GNR. Whole thing made no sense.

Reunion talks are strong as always, but how can any of us believe them. What's sad about a reunion tour is this: it means 20 years were wasted for nothing. Imagine all of the great tunes GNR would have released had Axl/Slash and Co. kept making music. On the plus side, they never burnt out like the Stones or just made so many songs nobody cared anymore (U2)...but still, lots of unfulfilled potential.

Ron was asked to play other people's songs. That's all. He did a good job on it, though

From various interviews with members and even with Ron, they've stated that they write something, Axl very rarely look/hear them but he never join them. Those band jam days are over for this "band"

I think it's more than clear that almost everybody got a small chance to work together (sans Axl, but he is an egomaniac) except Ron Thal

Axl probably never consider him as a main songwriter. Ron needs writing credits to extend his paycheck. Instead he probably got some solos and that's all. Now, when he "focus" on his solo career, Axl probably erase his solos.

He might keep the solos like he did with Bucket. Ron said he added parts to a bunch of songs that weren't on CD. I think he said he played rthymn guitar on every CD song? Anyway you can't tell, it's really solos but you have to be a fan to really care.

The idea of Fortus working up a Slash riff and an Izzy song would probably be the hype songs.

2006 - Better, IRS?

You have moved into the conversation of "who is the most intelligent and logical posters on the forum?"

2006 - Better, IRS?

What are you on about!? Metallica release records on a clock? ha! I mean it's more regular than GnR but what band doesn't release records more regularly than GnR. When I went to see Metallica on the Death magnetic cycle they played All nightmare long, broken, beat & Scarred, That was just your life and End of the line. For a band with so many popular songs I was surprised that they played so many. When I left the concert my interest in Metallica was renewed. I had just saw them a year or so before and they were going through the motions and now then they were completely on fire. Also, those songs on DM were actually really good songs, but they suffered from bad production. They also suffered from the same issues that plagued CD, when is when? overly long songs, putting every idea and riff / lick into every song.

Also, Metallica don't release new music all the time, but they do play unreleased songs live. They realise that the fan-base wants to hear new music, they did this before the release of load, before DM and now before their latest TBC album. Guns however haven't played a new song live since 2009. If I went to GnR tomorrow and they didn't at least play one new song I would say "They done as a band". I fully expect Guns to hit the road again without a new album, Metallica will tour before their next album too but at least we know they're making a record as they give us regular updates. Guns don't even give updates.

There's really no comparison. Guns are my favourite band, but they eat Metallica's dust... trailing behind.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

2006 - Better, IRS?

Nothing like a deep fried peanut butter whopper to make you forget about your responsibilities.

I feel like Shacklers and ITW are the singles from CD II.

And Scraped and Sorry are CD III singles.

So I wish they took off live but the fans don't seem that impressed with those 4. Although Shacklers kicks ass live.

WTF holmes?

If CD is really (in your view) CD, CDII and CDIII (based on where you attached the afore mentioned songs).......that means that each of those albums wasn't even EP length. They each just had 4-5 songs on them.

You are an awesome poster, but holy cow, the way you stretch things to justify what Axl is doing sometimes doesn't make sense.

Scraped and Sorry weren't CDIII singles because Axl hasn't released a follow up to Chinese I.

I think I'll tell my banker tomorrow that my May house payment isn't just my May house payment. It's also my June and July payment as well.

• Like 3

I think I'll tell my banker tomorrow that my May house payment isn't just my May house payment. It's also my June and July payment as well.

Thats a good one lol

using Wasted's logic, I won't have to make another payment until August! Yippee!!!!!!

I'm not justifying it to you. I'm just saying that CD had more songs to work than most albums. And they worked them.

I guess I understand the idea of more cds. As you get the excitement. Here's another Manics album. Can't wait. But it's fleeting because they aren't much different than before. It's a cycle.

To use your analogy, the bank wanted 3 songs CD delivered 9. So your paid up until 2018.

2006 - Better, IRS?

What are you on about!? Metallica release records on a clock? ha! I mean it's more regular than GnR but what band doesn't release records more regularly than GnR. When I went to see Metallica on the Death magnetic cycle they played All nightmare long, broken, beat & Scarred, That was just your life and End of the line. For a band with so many popular songs I was surprised that they played so many. When I left the concert my interest in Metallica was renewed. I had just saw them a year or so before and they were going through the motions and now then they were completely on fire. Also, those songs on DM were actually really good songs, but they suffered from bad production. They also suffered from the same issues that plagued CD, when is when? overly long songs, putting every idea and riff / lick into every song.

Also, Metallica don't release new music all the time, but they do play unreleased songs live. They realise that the fan-base wants to hear new music, they did this before the release of load, before DM and now before their latest TBC album. Guns however haven't played a new song live since 2009. If I went to GnR tomorrow and they didn't at least play one new song I would say "They done as a band". I fully expect Guns to hit the road again without a new album, Metallica will tour before their next album too but at least we know they're making a record as they give us regular updates. Guns don't even give updates.

There's really no comparison. Guns are my favourite band, but they eat Metallica's dust... trailing behind.

That's the point Catcher, Twat, Prostitute were new, they were just from the same album. Not many in the audience heard them live before.

To me it's just two different approaches. 3 albums with 3 songs that matter on each. Or 1 album with 9 or 10.

2006 - Better, IRS?

That's the point Catcher, Twat, Prostitute were new, they were just from the same album. Not many in the audience heard them live before.

To me it's just two different approaches. 3 albums with 3 songs that matter on each. Or 1 album with 9 or 10.

Correct! two different approaches. One band records and tours on somewhat of a regular schedule... the other follows no schedule, tours a bit and endlessly tinkers with finished recordings. Just different approaches really! One band likes to try and remain relevant, the other goes out of its way to become irrelevant. Which approach do you prefer? If guns did 1/10 of the work that Metallica do we would be ecstatic.

The issue really is that Lars Ulrich is the driving force behind Metallica, he knows how to run a band, and he's pretty ballsy in that he'll take a chance on a new direction if he really believes in it. Lars alongside the rest of Metallica have a really powerful management company behind them, that know what to do with a classic band, how to keep them in the public eye and basically co-run the band to continue making the money and being the worlds biggest metal band.

Guns have Axl, who is super talented but he has no business sense! anyone in his position who still loves music (which I believe he still does), would be pushing hard to getting things done. There seems to be no movement whatsoever in the band, only people leaving. They also have an inexperienced management team... nobodies first job in a big industry is taking care of one of the worlds biggest businesses / products. You start out small, and then build from there, how can you possibly understand the business if all you see is the very top scale of what something can do. You need to understand every step of the way. I'm not sure that jumping in at the deep end is the best way to learn. And from what I can see, it doesn't seem to be working out too well for anyone, but management themselves, hmmm?

You hear the same thing about how difficult it is for a band GnR's size to take a year off to record - costs of rentals, musicians, studios etc. but that's bullshit, Metallica are definitely a bigger band and they have people on retainers (engineers, techs) too, which they pretty much have to pay all year around. Yet, they still manage to create windows of time where they can go into a studio and create new music, and work up new songs for the live set. "Excuses, excuses, excuses" sums up GnR, while they say "complaints, complaints, complaints" sums us up.

Edited by Tom2112

2006 - Better, IRS?

Two different approaches?

You mean the way GnR does it compared to the way every other band in history does it?

So for you the Illusions were really like 17 different albums? And adding Yesterdays to the set list in 2013 was just like adding a brand new album.

Let me ask you this. Which scenario would you prefer. If you were the manager of the band and Axl gave you full final power.

Release one album between 2000-2016. Start playing songs off that album in 1999. And every few years rotate a couple songs from that album into the set list.

Or

Release albums in 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016.

Your band plays three hour shows and plays month long residencies so song redundancy isn't an issue. Play the 5 staple songs you have to play (jungle, scom, nov rain, PC, ycbm) and then Have fun with the other 18 songs. Give mr brownstone a night off and play an extra song from the 2012 album. Rotate classics with new and deeper cuts.

Which option would be more fun for band members? Which option would the majority of fans enjoy?

Well I was listening to an interview with Brain from a couple of years ago (I'd Hit That podcast - theres also one with Josh Freese that explains what happened from 97-99) but he was explaining some funny stories about bucket and guns etc. The really interesting thing (he practically brushes over it) that after the 2002 tour when they found out in the hotel that the tour was over and it all imploded they all went home. They all did nothing until 2004 when they aimed to play RiR - he recieved no calls to go work on anything etc. no one was doing a thing. That album was done by the 2002 tour - bucket never came back, there was no heading into the studio to work on more material or anything!

But I think the fact that the Replacements being back and Tommy being done with the band could be a big big deal. I really don't see Stinson returning he bailed on the last shows and I do think he's been there so long that he is quite important and not simply another touring hire. The problem with a CD 2 is the fact that it will be by a band with none of the members there now, all the guitarists will be different (apart from Fortus who plays on very little it seems), the bass player, the drummer.

Lets hope for a 2016 reunion and maybe a big box set/from the vault type release of the CD sessions (we can dream right???).

When was Better written? I thought it was in that 03-04 space.

I wonder if Axl will consider releasing something at a time when he doesn't really have a band. You know just something to get it over with. I say that then think of Axl's annoyance with things being "released" or "ready" and know Axl will happily wait 15 years to do something because his sense of time is so far gone.

When was Better written? I thought it was in that 03-04 space.

I wonder if Axl will consider releasing something at a time when he doesn't really have a band. You know just something to get it over with. I say that then think of Axl's annoyance with things being "released" or "ready" and know Axl will happily wait 15 years to do something because his sense of time is so far gone.

I once read somewhere that Robin brought that song to GN'R when he came in, at least the main riff. But Richard also said that he wrote the chorus, so I guess the song as a whole was ready around 2003-2004

Just two different approaches or situations. For me CD had legs because after it came out Scraped, Sorry, TIL, Prostitute were still 4 more singles. For me. So that would take me until 2012 to really get bored of it.

But I'd choose the second option in fantasy land. I'm not sure what the Beavan record was like. I don't think Better was finished until 2004?

2000 Intentions - Beavan

Oh my God

Silkworms

Chinese Democracy

The Blues

The General

Riad and the Bedouins

Oklahoma

Madagascar

2004 - Baker

Better

There was a Time

IRS

Catcher in the Rye

Prostitute

Atlas Shrugged

Thyme

Sailing

Idea of March

2008 - Costanzo

Shacklers

If the World

Scraped

Sorry

This I Love

The Seeker

Seven

Soul Monster

Zodiac

You can throw covers and tracks like The General, Thyme, Seven, Leave Me Alone and Atlas in to make the albums longer. Beltrami worked on some of these with CD tracks. So they must have been ready in some way. But seeing as TWAT/Prostitute are too difficult to do live. Is it waste of ammo. These songs take years to digest.

Lets say they added these other 15 songs into those albums they had by now it would be done. They would have toured until 2014 anyway I reckon.

Theyd never work all those new songs into the set. We'd be saying why don't they play The Blues or Better anymore.

Somehow the material wouldn't have got a fair shake. Even now I think Shacklrs, If the World, Prostitute, Scraped are almost overlooked live.

Lets say Jackie Chan, Atlas, The General, Soul Monster, Ides of March are the next 5 to worked into the set what do they drop. If you want to communicate them to the audience you have to work them.

Lets say they put CD and CD II out in 2004-8 at once. We'd still be done like Illusions were by 94. 3/4 years later it would be over.

This way the material gets proper attention.

Depends how many filler tracks/un finished tracks you can tolerate but we got the meat of 3 cds. How much do they matter?

Edited by wasted