Axl and his obsession with Charles Manson

Axl did like the music by Manson and he even wrote tshirts which had Manson on it, Maybe Axl could relate himself to him?

What is your take on Charles Manson? People say he dint do the murders, but he did brainwash his "Family Members" and the killings were pretty brutal, answer this from your point of view and not just cause you are an Axl fan (Wkuk and Gunner PT) so if Axl likes him then you also like him

Even Laden himself din't do the thing, but he did brainwash people in the name of religion, so If a person promotes him or wear tshirts of him, you think that is cool?

Axl did like the music by Manson and he even wrote tshirts which had Manson on it, Maybe Axl could relate himself to him?

What is your take on Charles Manson? People say he dint do the murders, but he did brainwash his "Family Members" and the killings were pretty brutal, answer this from your point of view and not just cause you are an Axl fan (Wkuk and Gunner PT) so if Axl likes him then you also like him

Even Laden himself din't do the thing, but he did brainwash people in the name of religion, so If a person promotes him or wear tshirts of him, you think that is cool?

He's nobody.

• Like 2

People are fascinated by evil. Or this context that states this. Then you look at it and its full of contradictions. It's kind of the flip side of the president seeming squeaky clean but getting a ton of people killed in a war.

I don't get it if this is a thread about Axl or about Charles Manson.

I know Axl covered a Manson's song (a nice song, IMO) and he used to wear a Manson's t-shirt (probably just to shock ... you know how young rock stars like to shock) ... I don't know if Axl has any obsession about Charles Manson or not but, definitively, Axl isn't tagging Manson in every single thread ...

Edited by GUNNER PT

Obssession? What, wearing a t shirt and covering a song? :lol:

My take on Charles Manson is that he was the mentally ill child of a young drifter girl that spent a lot of time doing porridge, came out in the 60s where everybody was all into mysticism and drugs and they found this nomadic looking character that talked a load of gibberish that they wanted to believe (and doing LSD helped that along) because they were sad, lonely, desperate and really rather pathetic people looking for meaning where it ain't to be found...and if it is it's the wrong kind. They were morons, he had an instinctive sort of intelligence which is rendered almost completely useless in any practical sense based on the fact that he's mad as a lorry-load of monkeys.

• Like 1

Q Magazine - March 1994

Bring Out The Manson

Statement from W. Axl Rose concerning the unlisted bonus track, Look At Your Game, Girl by Charles Manson, on Guns N' Roses' new album, The Spaghetti Incident?

It's come to my attention that some people have taken offence to a particular song, Look At Your Game, Girl, on our new album The Spaghetti Incident?. What it all boils down to is this: The Spaghetti Incident? is 13 historical and musical gems that may have been overlooked. For instance, New Rose was one of The Damned's main songs but for whatever reason a lot of the world didn't hear it.

In Indiana, I was ridiculed and physically attacked for my musical tastes, tastes that I never made any effort to hide. I thought it would be interesting for the so called mainstream and the people who were against this material when I was a teenager to actually hear these songs. Maybe they'll hear something they like, and more importantly, maybe they'll go and find the originals better, including Look At Your Game, Girl. The reason we didn't list that song on our album is we wanted to downplay it. We don't give any credit to Charles Manson on the album; it's like a hidden bonus truck.

It's my opinion that the media are enjoying making a big deal out of Guns N' Roses covering a song that Charles Manson recorded, but if another band had recorded that song, it probably wouldn't have been of interest. The media need their "bad guys" to guarantee some ratings, so they use Manson's name coupled with mine to promo their news programs.

However, when I do something positive, like contribute to charity, it's hard to get the news to pick up on those stories. The media is an interesting beast.

Why did I choose to cover that particular song?

Oddly enough, one of the things we do up at my house is have "Name That Artist" contests where we play obscure songs and everyone tries to name the artist. My brother Stuart found Look At Your Game, Girl at a large record chain and, needless to say, he won that round. Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song. Hearing it shocked me and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it.

I like the words because, to me, it's about a woman who has thrown things away. She thinks she's gaining love but basically she's gaining sadness. It was very fitting for a personal situation I happened to be in. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game. I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness.

Manson is a dark part of American culture and history. He's the subject of fear and fascination through books, movies, and the interviews he's done. Most people hadn't heard anything Charles Manson recorded.

A lot of people can say I wear the "Charlie Don't Surf" T-shirt for shock value, but I've worn that shirt for the past year on tour, all over the world. Yes, I was trying to make a statement. I wore the T-shirt because a lot of people enjoy playing me as the bad guy and the crazy. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I'm nothing like him. That's what I'm saying. There's a real difference in morals, values and ethics between Manson and myself and that is "Thou shalt not kill," which I don't. I'm by no means a Manson expert or anything, but the things he's done are something I don't believe in. He's a sick individual. Look at Manson and then look at me. We're not the same. Plus, I like the black humor of the "Charlie Don't Surf" line for the movie Apocalypse Now.

I think people think I'm crazy because I believe in telling the truth. I'll admit sometimes I don't do a perfect job of it, but my efforts are true.

It is my understanding that the song was written by Dennis Wilson. To what extent Charles Manson is involved in the publishing, I'm not aware. However, I am donating all my personal profits from having that song on our album to a charity, an environmental group to help protect wildlife and our oceans. In our video for Estranged, which will be the last video for the Use Your Illusion albums, we used dolphins, and this is my way of giving something back to the dolphin, which are endangered and threatened with extinction.

Unfortunately I Don't Surf Either.

• Like 1

Q Magazine - March 1994
Bring Out The Manson
Statement from W. Axl Rose concerning the unlisted bonus track, Look At Your Game, Girl by Charles Manson, on Guns N' Roses' new album, The Spaghetti Incident?
It's come to my attention that some people have taken offence to a particular song, Look At Your Game, Girl, on our new album The Spaghetti Incident?. What it all boils down to is this: The Spaghetti Incident? is 13 historical and musical gems that may have been overlooked. For instance, New Rose was one of The Damned's main songs but for whatever reason a lot of the world didn't hear it.
In Indiana, I was ridiculed and physically attacked for my musical tastes, tastes that I never made any effort to hide. I thought it would be interesting for the so called mainstream and the people who were against this material when I was a teenager to actually hear these songs. Maybe they'll hear something they like, and more importantly, maybe they'll go and find the originals better, including Look At Your Game, Girl. The reason we didn't list that song on our album is we wanted to downplay it. We don't give any credit to Charles Manson on the album; it's like a hidden bonus truck.
It's my opinion that the media are enjoying making a big deal out of Guns N' Roses covering a song that Charles Manson recorded, but if another band had recorded that song, it probably wouldn't have been of interest. The media need their "bad guys" to guarantee some ratings, so they use Manson's name coupled with mine to promo their news programs.
However, when I do something positive, like contribute to charity, it's hard to get the news to pick up on those stories. The media is an interesting beast.
Oddly enough, one of the things we do up at my house is have "Name That Artist" contests where we play obscure songs and everyone tries to name the artist. My brother Stuart found Look At Your Game, Girl at a large record chain and, needless to say, he won that round. Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song. Hearing it shocked me and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it.
I like the words because, to me, it's about a woman who has thrown things away. She thinks she's gaining love but basically she's gaining sadness. It was very fitting for a personal situation I happened to be in. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game. I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness.
Manson is a dark part of American culture and history. He's the subject of fear and fascination through books, movies, and the interviews he's done. Most people hadn't heard anything Charles Manson recorded.
A lot of people can say I wear the "Charlie Don't Surf" T-shirt for shock value, but I've worn that shirt for the past year on tour, all over the world. Yes, I was trying to make a statement. I wore the T-shirt because a lot of people enjoy playing me as the bad guy and the crazy. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I'm nothing like him. That's what I'm saying. There's a real difference in morals, values and ethics between Manson and myself and that is "Thou shalt not kill," which I don't. I'm by no means a Manson expert or anything, but the things he's done are something I don't believe in. He's a sick individual. Look at Manson and then look at me. We're not the same. Plus, I like the black humor of the "Charlie Don't Surf" line for the movie Apocalypse Now.
I think people think I'm crazy because I believe in telling the truth. I'll admit sometimes I don't do a perfect job of it, but my efforts are true.
It is my understanding that the song was written by Dennis Wilson. To what extent Charles Manson is involved in the publishing, I'm not aware. However, I am donating all my personal profits from having that song on our album to a charity, an environmental group to help protect wildlife and our oceans. In our video for Estranged, which will be the last video for the Use Your Illusion albums, we used dolphins, and this is my way of giving something back to the dolphin, which are endangered and threatened with extinction.

Thanks for sharing that and what is YOUR take on the things which Charles Manson did?

Q Magazine - March 1994
Bring Out The Manson

Thanks for sharing that and what is YOUR take on the things which Charles Manson did?

62337447.jpg

I know Axl covered a Manson's song (a nice song, IMO) and he used to wear a Manson's t-shirt (probably just to shock ... you know how young rock stars like to shock) ... I don't know if Axl has any obsession about Charles Manson or not but, definitively, Axl isn't tagging Manson in every single thread ...

^ This.

I wouldn't call wearing a t-shirt and covering a song an "obession"

Also Slash787; please stop with mentioning certain posters in all of your posts along with saying things like "If you're an Axl fan you have to like it because he does". The thinly veiled insults and trolling isn't going unnoticed.

• Like 1

Neil Young was on Howard Stern last year and talked about meeting Manson at Dennis Wilson's house a few times. I'm paraphrasing, but he said he was impressed that Manson could just grab a guitar, start strumming and come up with lyrics on the fly. Don't know if he thought it was any good though. Young also said he got weirded out by Manson's "family" and never saw him again. It's on youtube if your interested. Long interview.

Anyway, I think Axl did do it for shock value/publicity. Same thing with the song "One in a Million."

Edited by JONEZY

^ This.

I'd like to point out that you're doing that to a GUNNER post. :lol:

Actually, I agree.

• Like 2

^ This.

I wouldn't call wearing a t-shirt and covering a song an "obession"

Also Slash787; please stop with mentioning certain posters in all of your posts along with saying things like "If you're an Axl fan you have to like it because he does". The thinly veiled insults and trolling isn't going unnoticed.

I won't call it Trolling, but if someone is feeling insulted then I am truly sorry, If certain posters don't like it then they can tell me, I guess even they take it as a joke, some people say your Toy boy Slash or something like that, I take that as a joke too, I hope that doesn't goes unnoticed

Using the word obsession was indeed a wrong choice by me, wearing a tshirt or covering a song doesn't makes you obsessed about it, I just wanted the opinion of the people what they think about it

I guess normally people wear a t shirt of stuff they like. So it's confusing. It's quite a complicated text for just a shirt. It's a cult t shirt.

It's an interesting way to open up a dialogue, play the media and control the situation and make your point. It's also a great way to be completely misunderstood.

I feel that happened with Catcher in the Rye. Of course the fans or media think Axl is identifying with Holden. But again he's using imagery in a blunt ironic way. But it's kind of not really about the book at all. Same way Look at your Game is really more like a message to Stephanie.

Actually Marilyn Manson said he told Axl about Charlie's album called Lie. It was kind of cool to be into Manson. Reznor was recording and living in the Tate mansion. Not sure he had to morally justify his position. Or maybe he just doesn't care.

I really don't know much about Manson or what he did... I don't have an opinion other than if he's been in jail for so long he must have done something really bad. In this case I respect the laws of the country that put him in jail.

Saying that being fan of Axl automatically associates you or connects you to everything he likes or dislikes is a bit extreme and inaccurate. In my case, I don't like Manson in any sense but I'm more like indifferent because I really don't know his story and havent followed him in the media. Regarding the song, I feel like 'meh'... Not amazed about it or anything close to that.

Axl wanted to make a statement with all that, wearing the t-shirt and recording that song but I guess it didn't translate well to the massive audience or the mass media. It's really hard to make a statement so complicated like that and have everybody understanding that he wasn't idolizing or glorifying a serial killer. Axl put himself in a difficult place as an artist and I guess that's what makes him different. He voluntarily picked being the target of people who are eager for scandals and pass judgement on others.

If it wasn't for that interview where he explains his motivations, I wouldn't understand what he meant either....

I think it's not our place to question an artist and their choices. If you don't agree with what an artist has to say the wisest thing to do is to not 'buy' their art (as in not pay them attention) and focus on the things you enjoy. It's not about being cool or uncool, it's the way someone expresses their interest on things. You can adhere or not and that's all there is to it.

There's also people who want to demystify Manson, he symbolized to the establishment what a "hippie" is, even though nothing about him was a hippie. He was just a hustler, but he got into Scientology and some other things and used it to start building a cult, getting himself in Hollywood circles, Dennis Wilson & Terry Melcher took interest in him.

But what made Manson lose his shit? Having a song of his stolen.

Add to that all the stuff going on in 1968, Manson being a racist, holding some of the kids captive, and constantly keeping them dosed on acid.

I wonder if Axl went to visit Trent..

John Waters was at the Manson trials and has been pushing to get Leslie paroled but it's highly unlikely.

Edited by dalsh327

Q Magazine - March 1994
Bring Out The Manson

What a pretentious load of tripe.

I like the words because, to me, it's about a woman who has thrown things away. She thinks she's gaining love but basically she's gaining sadness. It was very fitting for a personal situation I happened to be in. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game.

Oh, Axl. :facepalm:

Neil Young was on Howard Stern last year and talked about meeting Manson at Dennis Wilson's house a few times. I'm paraphrasing, but he said he was impressed that Manson could just grab a guitar, start strumming and come up with lyrics on the fly. Don't know if he thought it was any good though. Young also said he got weirded out by Manson's "family" and never saw him again. It's on youtube if your interested. Long interview.

Anyway, I think Axl did do it for shock value/publicity. Same thing with the song "One in a Million."

Neil even bequeated him a motorcycle. Manson said that Neil was the only celebrity/musician to ever give him anything.

Marilyn Manson claimed that he (pre mainstream success) went backstage to a GNR gig and that is where Axl got the idea for the Manson stuff from.

In his book he says he told Axl about Charlie's Lie album. And Axl didn't know about it. but then Game appeared on SI. Manson was staying with Trent in the Tate mansion. Like just for fun.

Manson of Marilyn covered One in a Million?

Marilyn Manson claimed that he (pre mainstream success) went backstage to a GNR gig and that is where Axl got the idea for the Manson stuff from.

In his book he says he told Axl about Charlie's Lie album. And Axl didn't know about it. but then Game appeared on SI. Manson was staying with Trent in the Tate mansion. Like just for fun.

Ah right, yeah that's it.

It's been nearly 20 years since I read MM's book.

Do you really need Marilyn Manson to give you that idea, I mean it's an album that you can just up and by, whats Marilyn got to do with it? :lol:

And oh, by the way, if anyones wondering what the albums like, it's a bag of shite. Yes, i know you think it's good because you're fascinated by the idea of this mystical murdering bastard and are amazed that he can actually put chords and rhyming words together, he can't sing to save his life, he can't write a song to save his life and he's a cunt. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Len B'stard