Tabocsa

wasted

Is this some sort of yankee thing, 'hot sauce'? In Britain you put salt and vinegar on your chips and that is basically as complicated as it gets. We do not usually stick hot sauces on things like chips. It rather signifies a person that needs to be institutionalised.

Maybe that's why British cuisine is so world reknown for its deliciousness.

/sarcasm

• Like 3

No offense, but an Englishman commenting on hot sauces is like a yank commenting on tea. Which I don't say that to be rude or offensive, but as others have pointed out, it's a southern us/ Mexican thing. So of course it probably wouldn't be to popular in England. The hot sauce I mentioned Cholula is imported from Mexico, or at least it used to be, it may be produced in the US now, but it's defiantly a Mexican hot sauce.

Again, I'm not trying to offend, but I'm not sure any European countries know anything about spicy food. The only countries in that side of the world known for spice are all Asian countries, your China and India and others. I personally have had many French, Italian, Polish, Greek, and other European foods, but never once would say they were spicy. Again, I hate to generalize, but I honestly don't think that peppers, hot sauce, and spice in general are things that ever really took hold in Europe.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Black pepper in Italy maybe. Curry from India in the UK.

My first thought, is English know nothing about hot sauces or spicy food. But have been exposed to such cuisine. But you're average lad so to speak is not a hot sauce aficionado.

But what are origins of hot sauces. Like British pickled stuff to preserve them. Hence, the pickled egg. Spices from my understanding are mostly just to preserve meat.

But hot sauces seem more like the chili pepper in china. Just to get a sweat on. Or is it just to disguise horrible meat?

Jalepenos are used just because they are available and not completely unpleasant.

It seems like it's dictated by climate but I'm not sure in what way. Why hot weather, spicy food. Like in Sichuan it's 100 degrees humidity 99 seems like I want an ice cold lemonade but you get a fish cooked in chilies.

Is this some sort of yankee thing, 'hot sauce'? In Britain you put salt and vinegar on your chips and that is basically as complicated as it gets. We do not usually stick hot sauces on things like chips. It rather signifies a person that needs to be institutionalised.

Maybe that's why British cuisine is so world reknown for its deliciousness.

/sarcasm

Burn.

Pun unintended.

British food can be good if done right. But to get good British food isn't easy or cheap. You can't just go do any street and get it. You basically do it yourself. You at least have to know where to go or take your chances at the chip shop.

No offense, but an Englishman commenting on hot sauces is like a yank commenting on tea. Which I don't say that to be rude or offensive, but as others have pointed out, it's a southern us/ Mexican thing. So of course it probably wouldn't be to popular in England. The hot sauce I mentioned Cholula is imported from Mexico, or at least it used to be, it may be produced in the US now, but it's defiantly a Mexican hot sauce.

Again, I'm not trying to offend, but I'm not sure any European countries know anything about spicy food. The only countries in that side of the world known for spice are all Asian countries, your China and India and others. I personally have had many French, Italian, Polish, Greek, and other European foods, but never once would say they were spicy. Again, I hate to generalize, but I honestly don't think that peppers, hot sauce, and spice in general are things that ever really took hold in Europe.

Actually Michael, it's the complete opposite, the English are the best qualified people to judge spicy food. Mexican food ain't popular in England because there are no Mexicans here. I think you have this idea of England thats like...people playing cricket on the green and all that but it's not Victorian times anymore and the two biggest communities here, foreign communities, whatever the fuckin' proper word is you're meant to call em, the two biggest are from the West Indies and India and Pakistan. So much so that the national dish of this country since the 80s has been curry. Look it up.

And on a side note, Mexican food is starting to rear it's head over here too and so far, even of the spiciest, i don't find it very hot. Try an Indian curry from over here and see if you can handle it.

It's not at all a US/Mexican thing, in fact those two countries don't even figure very highly in terms of spicy foods really, but that whole end of Asia, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka etc, from where England has MASSIVE communities...and even like the West Indies, Barbados, Jamaica (and more recently Africa), who have entrenched communities over here, eat the most mouth-roasting hot food you could ever imagine, the English are fucking connessieurs of hot and spicy food. It's literally like a tradition over here on a Saturday night, go out, get ratted, have a curry.

They've taken hold more in England and for longer than any other western country in the world.

Edited by Len B'stard

I don't disagree when it comes to curry based dishes, but curry isn't nearly as spicy as habenero or ghost pepper based foods. They are completely different types of foods really. Take wasabi, too much will knock your socks off for a few seconds. But eat a whole habenero pepper, it'll ruin your day. I have had some spicy Indian, Chinese, and Thai based foods and yes they are spicy, but it's a different type of spicy.

I consider myself sort of a self taught expert when it comes to spicy, in my younger days I would eat and try anything. The spiciest thing on the planet is the ghost pepper, I have never dared to eat one, but I have eaten things made with them and nothing from India or China has anything on it. Having said that, the spiciest thing I have ever ate was a whole habenero pepper, which I believe is considered the 2nd spiciest pepper at least, probably 2nd spiciest thing on earth. All I will say is I will never eat one again, my mouth was on fire for at least a half hour and my ass was on fire for a day, maybe more. I couldn't even eat my meal, it sat in my gut and just exploded. No way in Hell would I ever dare a ghost pepper after eating a habenero.

These days, the spiciest I go is jalapeno. Now I go on record and say that India and China can and do have things as spicy and perhaps spicier than jalapeno based foods. Which most Mexican food is Jalapeno based. But Mexican food can go way hotter than jalapenos, so I would say without a doubt they are spicier than anything asia has to offer, at least from my experiences. Which I'm not just going to say Mexico has the spiciest food, because perhaps all of central and south America share the same influences? I don't know for sure, perhaps some of our South American friends on here can chime in? But ya, I'd bet the farm that Habenro and ghost pepper spiced food will blow away the world's hottest curry.

Honestly Len, I would say Thai food is spicier than curry based stuff. I have eaten some Thai food that was too hot for me, but still not even in the same league as eating a habenero.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

I don't disagree when it comes to curry based dishes, but curry isn't nearly as spicy as habenero or ghost pepper based foods. They are completely different types of foods really. Take wasabi, too much will knock your socks off for a few seconds. But eat a whole habenero pepper, it'll ruin your day. I have had some spicy Indian, Chinese, and Thai based foods and yes they are spicy, but it's a different type of spicy.

I consider myself sort of a self taught expert when it comes to spicy, in my younger days I would eat and try anything. The spiciest thing on the planet is the ghost pepper, I have never dared to eat one, but I have eaten things made with them and nothing from India or China has anything on it. Having said that, the spiciest thing I have ever ate was a whole habenero pepper, which I believe is considered the 2nd spiciest pepper at least, probably 2nd spiciest thing on earth. All I will say is I will never eat one again, my mouth was on fire for at least a half hour and my ass was on fire for a day, maybe more. I couldn't even eat my meal, it sat in my gut and just exploded. No way in Hell would I ever dare a ghost pepper after eating a habenero.

These days, the spiciest I go is jalapeno. Now I go on record and say that India and China can and do have things as spicy and perhaps spicier than jalapeno based foods. Which most Mexican food is Jalapeno based. But Mexican food can go way hotter than jalapenos, so I would say without a doubt they are spicier than anything asia has to offer, at least from my experiences. Which I'm not just going to say Mexico has the spiciest food, because perhaps all of central and south America share the same influences? I don't know for sure, perhaps some of our South American friends on here can chime in? But ya, I'd bet the farm that Habenro and ghost pepper spiced food will blow away the world's hottest curry.

Honestly Len, I would say Thai food is spicier than curry based stuff. I have eaten some Thai food that was too hot for me, but still not even in the same league as eating a habenero.

As far the hottest or whatever, honestly, i don't know, i ain't worldly enough and i don't consider eating in westernized equivalents of foreign foods as being well versed in the real thing from the real country, i was just pointing out that the notion that the English don't know shit about spicy food is a false one.

But like hottest, as in hot til it like eating hot red powder, it's like why bother? I mean it's about adding flavour to food, when you get to the stage where it becomes like a 'how many marbles can i stick in my mouth' competition, it's just silly, i mean the shit is made to eat, so like all this 'well there's this 3,000 year old pepper from Afghanistan thats SOOO spicy that it's killed 4% of the people that ever tried it', thats just a bunch of people with too much time on their hands tryna act like Captain Big Balls as far as I'm concerned, it's silly :lol:

Well I stand corrected, the ghost pepper is no longer the world's hottest pepper. Its actually been replaced by a pepper called the Carolina Reaper, which is actually made here in America. The ghost pepper was #1 for a while, but I just read articles that have said new peppers have been discovered that are hotter, it's now like #7 or something. A few Asian peppers are actually on the list a head of the ghost pepper, but an American Pepper is now #1, (yay America, lol).

I also read a list of hottest dishes in the planet and quite a few of them were Asian based, but the hottest curry only came in at like #8. But the hottest stuff was Korean, Chinese, and Thai.

My brother got a jar of Reaper paste and was going on about it...I put what he insisted was way too much on a ham sandwich and while it certainly wasn't mild, the Vindaloo I get from the local curry house is way more potent.

It pissed him off that I didn't cry or need a drink haha, I genuinely enjoy hot food but Len is right- it's got to be enjoyable to eat, it's not a pissing contest...the Vindaloo has this lovely zing on the tongue that builds and builds and sweat just pisses out of me as I eat it.

Obviously the paste probably isn't as hot as eating an actual Reaper pepper- a friend of mine's in laws are from Hong Kong and I ate two little chillis over at their place the other week- my mouth produced about a liter of saliva, it was crazy.

Well I stand corrected, the ghost pepper is no longer the world's hottest pepper. Its actually been replaced by a pepper called the Carolina Reaper, which is actually made here in America. The ghost pepper was #1 for a while, but I just read articles that have said new peppers have been discovered that are hotter, it's now like #7 or something. A few Asian peppers are actually on the list a head of the ghost pepper, but an American Pepper is now #1, (yay America, lol).

I also read a list of hottest dishes in the planet and quite a few of them were Asian based, but the hottest curry only came in at like #8. But the hottest stuff was Korean, Chinese, and Thai.

I'll give Korean props on heat but most proper hot curries beat Thai or Szechuan food anyday.
  • Like 1

A friend and I made chili with Carolina Reapers and Bumblefucked sauce last week. I couldn't finish a bowl, it was good and I could get past how spicy it tasted but the burning sensation in my stomach was too harsh.

I'll give Korean props on heat but most proper hot curries beat Thai or Szechuan food anyday.

Stick me and this black bastard on the same team and guarantee you we'll out spicy eat the fuckin lot of ya, since we're playing Captain Big Balls :lol:

I was at a Thai food place a while back and they asked how I want my entree spiced. I said the hottest they make it, and I was greeted with the standard "Really, white guy?" face. "Because we can't un-spice it once it's done." Was just right.

Len the thing is, with a lot of the burn, some of us with balls can take the heat, and enjoy the flavor of really spicy stuff.

• Like 1

I was at a Thai food place a while back and they asked how I want my entree spiced. I said the hottest they make it, and I was greeted with the standard "Really, white guy?" face. "Because we can't un-spice it once it's done." Was just right.

Len the thing is, with a lot of the burn, some of us with balls can take the heat, and enjoy the flavor of really spicy stuff.

*does the 'really white guy?' face* :lol:

Nah man, i aint fuckin' with you, you're a special case :lol: i know what you mean man, i was more talking about that feat type shit people do.

I used to go to this Thai place that was like that also, they had 4 different versions of every dish; mild, medium, hot, and super hot. When I was younger and eating a lot of spicy stuff, I could eat the super hot. I used to also be able to eat the hottest wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. One day, years ago I actually made a to go order of bdubs hottest wings and ate them driving home with nothing to drink (boneless of course, the bones wings would be impossible to eat while driving.) so I agree with you, I just plain enjoyed the spice and kick that they had. My tolerance was so high, that I used to say "only actual peppers can get to me, no sauce or other products are to hot for me." and I actually believe that, only actual peppers could over load me. Now, 8-10 years later my tolerance is way down. I do think handling spice is like anything else, the more you are used to, the more you can take. Its like practice really, the more you practice the better you get. But as I said earlier, now jalapeno based stuff is as hot as I can go. Even a good jalapeno will get me Now, lol.

I do all the cooking in my house, and I still have to be reminded by my wife and kid to lay off the pepper. Which that's all I put (as far as hot goes) type spices in our food, is black pepper. You have to use some, especially in meats. But if I go one dash over the line, I get bitched at, lol. Which it is funny to me because it's just black pepper, and I always pour Cholula all over my food anyways. But black pepper really? I don't even use that much, some people's tolerance is just so low, while others is real high. Its a matter of taste, literally. ?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ