For those of us who lived GNR through 1993 ....

Safe to assume that all of us want more than what axl has given us since the formation of NuGnr.

But I was thinking..if you told me back in 1995 when you basically knew Gnr was over and you may never hear from Axl again, that we would have tours in 02, 06, 10 etc..and have CD in 2008, i honestly would have taken that and been very happy, so i am going to stop bitcin.

I am just curious if anyone else feels the same way?

• Like 3

No, he could've done the same thing as John Lydon (start a solo-project) and I'm sure it would've been less of a hassle and he would've got a lot more respect (industry/public alike). What is happening now is just embarrassing beyond words for a band that people once fondly named among the likes of Metallica, the Stones and/or Led Zeppelin as true rock n' roll legends.

• Like 3

No, he could've done the same thing as John Lydon (start a solo-project) and I'm sure it would've been less of a hassle and he would've got a lot more respect (industry/public alike). What is happening now is just embarrassing beyond words for a band that people once fondly named among the likes of Metallica, the Stones and/or Led Zeppelin as true rock n' roll legends.

i agree with your thoughts..so are you saying you would have rather had it all end and be the end back in 1993 then?

i agree with your thoughts..so are you saying you would have rather had it all end and be the end back in 1993 then?

He's saying he could have gone solo and released music that way, without using the GNR name. In hindsight, id say that was definitely the route to go.

• Like 1

Even Axl himself said anyone that thinks he wouldn't have wanted to make 5 appetites and live like the stones is crazy. Or something like that.

I think we've got way less then what could have been, but I guess it's better then nothing at all if you're a fan of new Guns and/or Chinese.

Some of Axl's best years were wasted. Still in his prime. The chemistry he, Slash, Izzy, and Duff shared was put aside, unused all for 1 album in 23 years.

A lot of potential went down the drain I think. Maybe it was unavoidable, but there is an unfinished feeling when I think about what they've manage to capture together.

Thing is, it's not just that the old band was over, even the satisfaction of hearing Axl's voice with Slash's guitar was "taken away" and no one has died so the reasons seem petty or not good enough sometimes, or all the time for some fans.

I'm not thankful for how it went down. It's a shame. But you know... I'll take what I can get.

Edited by Rovim

I would have been fine with it ending after Spaghetti. Even Sympathy was quite boring. No one would have seen anything wrong with Axl if he had gone solo as Axl Rose - he would definitely have gotten respect, and hit new milestones - I worked in music TV and everyone agreed on that. He could have done as many covers as he wanted of GNR stuff, and it would have made his concerts amazing - like when you go to Slash's and witness him playing Civil War, You Could Be Mine or Sweet Child - I was in awe.

I think had Axl done the solo gig as Axl Rose, we would have had a reunion by now.

I would have been fine with it ending after Spaghetti. Even Sympathy was quite boring. No one would have seen anything wrong with Axl if he had gone solo as Axl Rose - he would definitely have gotten respect, and hit new milestones - I worked in music TV and everyone agreed on that. He could have done as many covers as he wanted of GNR stuff, and it would have made his concerts amazing - like when you go to Slash's and witness him playing Civil War, You Could Be Mine or Sweet Child - I was in awe.

I think had Axl done the solo gig as Axl Rose, we would have had a reunion by now.

Axl Rose solo album and tour(s) would've still been huge events. People want to see Axl...

• Like 2

Through the mid to late 90s I didn't care. I felt they were doing an Aerosmith. Slash was going solo until they got back together. But then I saw Axls new line up and that tracklisting and could see what he was doing. GNR at that point were more like an underground secret band. Oh My God was side note on the End of Days sountrack. There were just so many bands, alt rock, Brit pop, nu metal, garage. But still I really focused on Oh My God. It took time for it to reveal itself and get the lyrics. It felt like they were going to do it. It seemed like that time was coming again. But they cancelled the festival show I bought tickets to. But did it the following year. It was like everything had been done all those bands had run out of ideas. The Strokes were just starting and slowly it started feel like what Axl was doing was the most interesting project in stadium rock. Over the years they really built up awareness of the music to the point where it was like a real GNR release with everyone knowing for about 2 weeks. The interested seem to continue with the tour until 2011 playing Rock in Rio. Then they did a few victory laps of a GH tour cementing 5/6 songs in the set list.

That was my experience of it.

Hard to say. The mystery and suspense of Chinese Democracy with the GN'R name was what carried me through all those dry years. It was exciting and part of a good time of my life I look back on fondly.

The excitement I had over hearing that first clip released of I.R.S all of a sudden made all those years of waiting worth it. I drove my friends crazy with that damn 30 second clip.

I'm kind of glad it all played out the way it did. The creativity of Axl Rose died sometime around when Robin left the band & Bumble entering. That transition seems to be when they morphed into just a greatest hits touring band.

• Like 2

Hahahaha! If you had told me in 1995 he'd release only one album and not until 2008 and only properly tour 3 times between 1995-2015 'd have said " WTF? Get outta here with that shit. That would fucking suck!" Now in 2015 I'm saying "WTF was that shit? That fucking sucked!"

Whether it was then or now the scenario that unfolded is a joke. It would not have been an appealing scenario back then and it sure as hell is't an appealing or even remotely satsfying scenario now.

• Like 4

GN'R died the day Izzy left in 1991. They still soldiered on as a mildly entertaining caricature of themselves until 1993 but really it was over the day Stradlin left as he provided all of the songwriting and integrity. Axl and Slash, left to their own devices, are just two jumped up 'rock stars', reenacting the same pathetic relationships as Jagger/Richards and Tyler/Perry. We have seen it all before - there is nothing new there. The fact that the old band ended their reign with a tragic and wholly unlistenable collection of covers, a gaggle of solo projects and a lawsuit tells you all you need to know. Axl's new band is a travesty.

• Like 3

GN'R died the day Izzy left in 1991. They still soldiered on as a mildly entertaining caricature of themselves until 1993 but really it was over the day Stradlin left as he provided all of the songwriting and integrity. Axl and Slash, left to their own devices, are just two jumped up 'rock stars', reenacting the same pathetic relationships as Jagger/Richards and Tyler/Perry. We have seen it all before - there is nothing new there. The fact that the old band ended their reign with a tragic and wholly unlistenable collection of covers, a gaggle of solo projects and a lawsuit tells you all you need to know. Axl's new band is a travesty.

In what world was the Illusion tour version of GnR a "mildly entertaining caricature of themselves". I could maybe accept you thinking they were a caricature of themselves if your'e so into the Izzy was GNR thing but to call them "mildly entertaining" at the absolute height of their career? WTF?

As for TSI? Your assesment of it being tragic and wholly unlistenable is so far off as well it's not even funny. Is it incredible? No. Is it pretty decent? Yes.

The new band is a travesty that we agree on.

• Like 1

In what world was the Illusion tour version of GnR a "mildly entertaining caricature of themselves". I could maybe accept you thinking they were a caricature of themselves if your'e so into the Izzy was GNR thing but to call them "mildly entertaining" at the absolute height of their career? WTF?

As for TSI? Your assesment of it being tragic and wholly unlistenable is so far off as well it's not even funny. Is it incredible? No. Is it pretty decent? Yes.

TSI is better than U2's last two albums.

No, sorry.

I would rather we had just had the band end as the biggest band on earth than the sickening sideshow it has become.

It is embarrassing to be a fan of this band. We make every fucking excuse for Axl but the truth is he is and has taken a huge fucking dump on what I consider to have been the single greatest band that existed.

He has become a parody of himself and us widely considerd a huge joke.

• Like 3

You had all these other GNR-related things going on in the mid 90s while Axl was going to court that it just seemed like they were eventually going to regroup.

I think they made a mistake in not putting a live album out in 1994-1995, it would have been a huge seller because the tour was still fresh in people's minds. Maybe if Slash hadn't quit, they might have.

Safe to assume that all of us want more than what axl has given us since the formation of NuGnr.

But I was thinking..if you told me back in 1995 when you basically knew Gnr was over and you may never hear from Axl again, that we would have tours in 02, 06, 10 etc..and have CD in 2008, i honestly would have taken that and been very happy, so i am going to stop bitcin.

Yes. Never expected Axl to be around for this long.

This is pretty close to how I felt about it back then.

And as far as the OP's question, yeah that's what I'd consider a waste and embarrassment of the guns n roses name to accomplish so little and instead just tarnish the fuck outta the name and image. Such a joke nowadAys

Yes. Never expected Axl to be around for this long.

I'm pretty much in this boat. There was a time when I seriously thought he was done and we would never get CD and he would never perform or be seen or heard from again. So, I got CD, and more importantly I got to see him live (in '06 when he kicked ass) so I'm good. I mean I would take more stuff but hey, he's his own man.

1992-3? Tracy and Roberta and the horns; the cheesy big videos; Axl in little white shorts; ego ramps? This all happened, post Izzy. And there is the simple fact that they never wrote a song again without Stradlin! They were basically fucked.

TSI is excrement. It is one of the worst albums ever made.

• Like 2

TSI is better than U2's last two albums.

And once again a person shows what a moron they are as U2 has nothing to do with any of this conversation but again if bashing U2 by altering my quotes boosts your insecure love for GnR then by all means.

1992-3? Tracy and Roberta and the horns; the cheesy big videos; Axl in little white shorts; ego ramps? This all happened, post Izzy. And there is the simple fact that they never wrote a song again without Stradlin! They were basically fucked.

TSI is excrement. It is one of the worst albums ever made.

But that's not what you said. You called GnR post Izzy Illusion era "mildly entertaining". Tell me the Paris show is merely "mildly entertaining" or that they were "mildly entertaining" at the tribute to Freddy. GnR were entertaining as fuck during this era despite the bloated distractions.

I think your opinion on TSI? is excrement.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

Absolute height of their career?

Are you serious?

The absolute height of Guns n Roses career happened somewhere between 1985, when they played together for the first time, and the last show with Izzy in Wembley, in 1991.

If you ask me I`d say that this whole period was higher and better than any other rock band in history.

Then, like Diesel said, GNR died when Izzy left, and no matter how many miliions of people attended the shows in UYI Tour, that was really not Guns n Roses.

It was kinda fun at times, but it was mostly not.

Axl will tell you that if you ask him.

• Like 2

Absolute height of their career?

Are you serious?

The absolute height of Guns n Roses career happened somewhere between 1985, when they played together for the first time, and the last show with Izzy in Wembley, in 1991.

If you ask me I`d say that this whole period was higher and better than any other rock band in history.

Then, like Diesel said, GNR died when Izzy left, and no matter how many miliions of people attended the shows in UYI Tour, that was really not Guns n Roses.

It was kinda fun at times, but it was mostly not.

Axl will tell you that if you ask him.

Your post is nothing but delisonal fanboy garbage. If you don't believe the Illusion era was the height of GnR's career where they were absolutely untouchable and at their peak in popularity you're either A) not very bright or B) not old enough to remember it. To sit there and say that somewhere between 1985 and the first time they played together was the height of it all is just fucking cupcake bullshit. And then to sit there and say when Izzy left it was no longer GnR is also complete and utter nonsense. Nobody including you derranged fanboys was saying anything like that in the moment.

Some of you are so lost in your fandom of Axl(and anything he does) or your fandom of when GnR fit in your back pocket that you have absolutely ZERO common sense left. Its pretty scary to see how insane some of you are.

the peak of Guns N Roses career was 1985? :facepalm: I bet you're a big fan of the Tracii Guns era GnR too right? Best band of all time I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1