DR DRE - COMPTON - AUGUST 7

bacardimayne

As far as recent rap albums go, it's ok. Better than most of the stuff out there. Which doesn't say much imo.

As far as a Dre album goes, bottom of the pile. Not even close to the level of his other stuff.

I hope this isn't all they do for the movie. I have all the songs, but they should still put something out with some Straight Outta Compton songs and maybe some of those earlier solo tracks from Cube or Eazy or Ren.

Did Eazy and Dre bury the hatchet before Eazy's death ?

Nope. Eazy was out of it and on life support by the time Dre got there. Cube made peace with him tho before he ever went in the hospital. Ren and Yella were always down.

Probably be like The Wash or the old Death Row soundtracks back in the day. Bunch of his beats with different people on each. I'll check it out though. I'd like to hear what his production is sounding like.

A soundtrack just of NWA songs from the movie is kind of hard to do. I mean, it's just the album Straight Outta Compton that really will be in the movie from what I can tell. And that album has been remixed and remastered and re-released so many times it's not even funny.

I LOVED those old Death Row Soundtracks, Above the Rim, Murder Was the Case etc...not sure about all that RnB shit, the fuckin' Danny Boy, Boyz II Men bullshit, you know what I mean, that constipated, clench your fists, fall to your knees and sing at the sky bullshit like SO BABY COME CLOSE...AND TURN OUT THE LIGHTS...and wraps your fuckin' legs around my face or whatever :lol: Other than that, amazing!

Snoop and Tray Deee on 21 Jumpstreet and all that, love it :)

Gang related and gridlock'd are fuckin amazing too. Looking forward to this..

Gang Related and Gridlock'd are both great. Never Had a Friend Like Me, Wanted Dead or Alive, Life's So Hard, Rearview, These Dayz(Nate and Daz) are fuckin classics.

Above the Rim and Murder Was the Case are legend. "i rock ruff and stuff with my afro puffs RAAAAAGE rock on with yo bad self"

Dre needs to make an album with Snoop. I think they'd be considered one of the greatest rap groups of all time if they were an official duo, no?

Word. I made a cd one time with all their songs together, like a Dre & Snoop greatest hits, I'm telling you it can stand up against the best duos out there.

I'm still lost as to why this is the soundtrack as opposed to Straight Outta Compton/Eazy Duz It/Efil4zaggin/first 3 Cube albums/The Chronic. It's a movie about a musical group, no?

It's similar to how Jay-Z did a soundtrack inspired by American Gangster but none of the music was actually in the film.It's not the soundtrack to the film. It's a soundtrack to Compton, the city, inspired by the memories conjured up by the film.

Which is an idealistic way of looking at it. More realistic is Dre saw an excellent cross-marketing opportunity - he can trade in on the film's name and attention, and the film can more directly trade in on his attention and the inherent attention surrounding the fact that it's his first album in however many years it's been since 2001. It's the definition of a mutually beneficial agreement, plus he gets to promote Apple Music (which bought Beats!) so he's an all-around clever marketing guy if nothing else.

I don't think he dropped Detox because it wasn't good, I think he dropped Detox because like ChiDem he probably was never working on it around the clock like so many fans expected, and it was probably more an idea for him than a stable project for years. I think he probably realized it was destined for ChiDem status if he ever released it, where the expectations would be too unrealistic, so changing the name basically afforded the opportunity of a clean slate and instantly lowered expectations among his fans.

Again, clever business move. The guy isn't "rap's first billionaire" for no good reason.

• Like 1

You cant contrive a great album by the amount of work and tinkering you do it on it, a great deal of it is just luck/what the world is ready for, this is what your Axl and Dre types dont seem to understand.

I would think Dre actually does understand that, since he ended up dropping Detox entirely.

You cant contrive a great album by the amount of work and tinkering you do it on it, a great deal of it is just luck/what the world is ready for, this is what your Axl and Dre types dont seem to understand.

I would think Dre actually does understand that, since he ended up dropping Detox entirely.

Fair point I suppose.

bombing in rock has a kind of romance to it. I can see why Dre didnt want to.

Theres definitely something on Compton that seperates it from ASAP Rocky. Like beats on Its All On Me so it might take them to wider audience.

But for Axl to pick up some alt rock fans probably was similar move.

bombing in rock has a kind of romance to it. I can see why Dre didnt want to.

Theres definitely something on Compton that seperates it from ASAP Rocky. Like beats on Its All On Me so it might take them to wider audience.

But for Axl to pick up some alt rock fans probably was similar move.

Now that the hype has died down a bit, I feel I can safely have a real opinion on this.

Full discretion: I'm a very casual rap fan.

I still love it. I was expecting Detox to be, more or less, a 2001 rehash with a 50 year old Dre talking about the same shit he talked about on 2001, to the same type of beats with the same people (plus Kendrick). Instead we got a 50 year old putting out an album that while maybe not raising the bar production wise, defines the bar, without being ridiculous about it like Kanye can be. To me, the thesis statement of this album is "this is what rap production should sound like in 2015". The choice of guests is great too. Anderson Paak and King Mez stood out to me as far as guys I didn't recognize. Em laid down his best verse since Rap God. Snoop's two verses were a lot better than I expected them to be. Game's solo track was great. Kendrick is what he is. I'm just not really a fan of his style at this point, but everyone else seemed to enjoy it, so fair enough.

Now when it comes to Dre himself, it's weird, because it's really obvious that he did some heavy tooling with his vocals to sound younger or whatever, but if you just don't think about it, it works, I guess. He has a few pretty good verses and that's all you can really expect from a 50 year old billionaire producer who was never really known for his rapping skills even when he was in NWA and not having brunch with Jimmy Iovine.

All in all, I'm happy with the album, it's probably about a 7.5/10 and I'm sure a few of the songs will remain on my playlist for years to come.

Pros: Top notch production, most guest spots are great

Cons: Dre's rapping, Marsha Ambrosious, Ice Cube, some of the songs feel like they should have another verse or two, that Eazy-E thing was cheesy as fuck

Edited by bacardimayne

Dr Dre has announced he will donate royalties earned from 'Compton', the rapper-producer's first album in 16 years, to the funding of a new performing arts and entertainment facility in the city of Compton. Dre revealed the news earlier today (August 6) to Zane Lowe on the DJ's Beats 1 Radio shot.

"I feel it's the right thing to do and I hope everybody appreciates the work I put into this album," said Dre, revealing that he'll be working with Compton Mayor Aja Brown on the project. "We've reached out to Aja Brown quite a few times in the last month or two. I've been really trying to do something special for Compton and just couldn't quite figure out what it was. She actually had this idea and she was already in the process of working on it. I said, 'Boom, this is what we should do.'"

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/dr-dre/87410?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=drecompton#W10trEhTERsatRHZ.99

& Thanks bacardimayne for the link. Listening right now.

It's All On Me is killer. Production insanely clear.

That's cool.

All you white kids on here who BOUGHT the album should feel happy that you are helping fund a new performing and arts/entertainment facility in Compton.

Real muthaphukkin' G's was better than anything Dre has ever wrote imo.

Eazy had more potential but didn't get to show it.

True.

Lol, eazy was fucking garbage without cube and Ren writing all his shit

Dre might have been the same way but at least he's a godly producer

Also true, but eazy was a better rapper, and being a good rapper > being a good producer.

I think the Anderson Paak songs are the only ones I'll keep listening to.

Can't argue that. Doesn't really bother me, I'm also a really casual rap fan, I kinda lump a lot of rappers in with pop stars in that there's a team of studio people who help write their songs, so enjoy it for what it is. Eazy was kinda like that, but he actually had a good voice and flow.

Anyway, Compton, tried giving it another listen.... still bleh.

• Like 1

Dr Dre has announced he will donate royalties earned from 'Compton', the rapper-producer's first album in 16 years, to the funding of a new performing arts and entertainment facility in the city of Compton. Dre revealed the news earlier today (August 6) to Zane Lowe on the DJ's Beats 1 Radio shot.

"I feel it's the right thing to do and I hope everybody appreciates the work I put into this album," said Dre, revealing that he'll be working with Compton Mayor Aja Brown on the project. "We've reached out to Aja Brown quite a few times in the last month or two. I've been really trying to do something special for Compton and just couldn't quite figure out what it was. She actually had this idea and she was already in the process of working on it. I said, 'Boom, this is what we should do.'"

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/dr-dre/87410?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=drecompton#W10trEhTERsatRHZ.99

That's cool.

All you white kids on here who BOUGHT the album should feel happy that you are helping fund a new performing and arts/entertainment facility in Compton.

Excuse me. What does being white have to do with any of this.

• Like 1

That's cool.

You are so edgy.

This is the way to go. Hanging a modern introspective rap album on the brand name Compton. Thats how movies do it.

Release CD II under the name Use Your Destruction as the soundtrack to Cannter's Reckless Road movie. Axl Rose's first solo album.

That's cool.

You are so edgy.

For the first time in months I actually agree with a Nate post. Why does it matter if white people are buying it?

Are you suggesting that white people shouldn't listen to rap, but instead to the music you like?

That's cool.

You are so edgy.

For the first time in months I actually agree with a Nate post. Why does it matter if white people are buying it?

Are you suggesting that white people shouldn't listen to rap, but instead to the music you like?

No, where on earth did you get that from? He said all you white kids who bought the album should feel happy that you are funding a performing arts facility in Compton, how in the world do you go from that to 'so you're saying white people shouldn't listen to rap?!?'. He's saying white people listening to rap has helped fund a performing arts centre, you're really looking for it eh? :lol: And what makes you say Apollo doesn't like rap, if i recall he's mentioned a number of instances of being into certain rap/rappers. LL Cool J was one of em if I'm not mistaken.

Being white is a massive part of it too because without the white audience you wouldn't have NWA, thats something that is pointed out in every documentary, every book out there about them, thats not Apollos doing, he's just saying it like any number of thousands of other people do. And it's an interesting reference too, since so much is being made of Dr Andre Gandhi and his new performing arts centre, something else that is, again, not Apollos doing.

Edited by Len B'stard