What if album had suprise release ?

2.8 million according to the list I provided coupled with your own, SoulMobster. That would mean every single country would have to sell out of stock to actually sell 2.6 million by February.

You truly want to subtract the 1 million we know were leftover in Best Buy? Then account for the other 800,000 missing shipments.

But those certifications, at least those I sent you, were from November 2009, not February. So if the number of shipments per the list of certifications is higher than the sales number from February, that really isn't contradictionary, it just means the record sold in 2009 and new shipments had to be made.

I haven't subtracted anything. I am just relying on the date from Universal Music and going on from that number.

The first part is wishful thinking. Prove it!

The second part is because it is convenient to you.

2.8 million shipped that we can be sure of at this point. 2.6 million were said to be sold by 2009. Explain the missing 800,000 missing shipments if they didn't count them as sales. Also explain how every country would have to damn near sell out of stock to accomplish this. Is that what you really want to claim? Don't hide behind Universal any longer. It's only an appeal to authority fallacy.

Remember that these are your certifying bodies that use shipping instead of sold and that there is no evidence to adjust the certification status.

Australia
Brazil
Canada
Chile
China
Denmark
Germany
Greece
Israel
Japan
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom
USA
Where are the missing 800,000? If you want to claim any of these ordered more, prove it. If you want to claim that they all ordered just to the brink of re-certification, check your math.

Wishful thinking that the record sold from February to November 2009? Seriously? :D

You're saying that it is convenient to me to go on from the actual public sales figures from Universal Music in February 2009, and then trying to estimate the sales since then? Yes, it is convenient to use reported sales figures ;)

CD had a lot of hype behind it. Outside of these forums the follow up has absolutely none. To the vast majority it'll be a surprise there's a new GNR album out long after it comes out.

The idea of a follow-up selling well makes me chuckle. Sometimes I wonder what is it like to live in fantasy world.

I think there's plenty to learn from how CD was handled. 1. the promotion for the album ended the day it was released (change this) 2. The album was not filled with obvious singles, Better is probably the only song on that album that I could imagine hearing on modern radio (change this). 3. No tour to support the album until late 2009 (change this)

There's production issues and arrangement issues that we all have with the album but they are subjective, but I think we can all agree that it was mishandled by the label and GnR. Now, if the label and band manage the next release better I do believe that it is possible for it to reach the same sales as CD, but my guess would be somewhere in 2 to 2.5 million sales worldwide (assuming theres's singles, promotion, touring), among millions of illegally downloaded copies of the album.

I think a lot of the CD detractors conveniently forget the year in which CD was released and the fact that millions of people downloaded torrents of the album. For CD to have 2/3 million is impressive in 2008, look at the other big acts that released albums that year Metallica (4/5million sales), Ac/dc (4/5 million) both of the albums were handled far better and they only out performed CD by 2 million copies... not that much! It's not just GnR that were struggling to sell the numbers they would have 10/20 years before that.

I think the GnR name sells. I believe that there's a group of music fans that hate GnR and wouldn't but a new record regardless of quality, but I also believe that there's a lot of people who still believe the old line up is still together and that a new releases would have that band on the album so they would purchase it. There's also proven markets for current GnR that will always pump up sales SA being the obvious one. and then there's the million + hardcore fans that are on the forums daily discussing them, that are going to buy a new album. So total it up, worst case scenario it's still going to sell a million copies... unless it's utter shite (which I doubt).

I think a lot of the CD detractors conveniently forget the year in which CD was released and the fact that millions of people downloaded torrents of the album. For CD to have 2/3 million is impressive in 2008, look at the other big acts that released albums that year Metallica (4/5million sales), Ac/dc (4/5 million) both of the albums were handled far better and they only out performed CD by 2 million copies... not that much! It's not just GnR that were struggling to sell the numbers they would have 10/20 years before that.

Don't forget that CD was also available for free to listen to on myspace. Another dumb move IMO.

Don't forget that CD was also available for free to listen to on myspace. Another dumb move IMO.

Yes, I heard a lot of people saying they skimmed through bits of it and didn't like it and weren't going to buy it (not even full songs). The best thing they could have done was to release a single like CD or Better with a video and then hold the rest of the album until the release.

It wouldnt make much difference. U2 had a video for Magnificient, a residency on Letterman and No Line still sold the same as CD. But it picked up saleswise but that was down to the 360 tour and a loyal fanbase. Black Ice was a success, 10 mil sales? People would buy a reunion record because of the line up alone. It just has a feelgood vibe.

Edited by wasted