What Axl should do with the UYI Tour recordings...

So I was thinking about this earlier today, with rumors of a reunion tour and the fact that it seems as though the old guys are on speaking terms again we might soon see more of the pro-shot recordings from the Use Your Illusion Tour that Axl allegedly has in the notorious vault!

But the question is, how would these be delivered to the fans? And I think I came up with a great answer to that...

Next year (2016) marks the 25th anniversary of the tour, so wouldn't it be a nice treatment and/or a trip down memory lane (for both fans and the band) if on the 25th anniversary of each show we would be able to buy that performance through Nightrain or their online store for maybe $10 per show?

This would mean that we (the fans) would be able to get to the see shows we are interested in seeing (like shows you've attended or just shows with special setlists and so on) by paying a small amount and the GN'R camp would earn a lot of money constantly for three years and they would probably also get their fan club to actually gain members!

So to clarify if this seems confusing....

On the 3rd of August 2016 we would be able to buy a pro-shot video with soundboard audio (like the Indiana show) of the epic 3 and a half hour show at Great Western Forum ( :headbang: ) on the 3rd of August 1991.

And on the 31th of August 2016 we would be able to buy Izzy's last show (as a member anyways) from Wembley on the 31th of August 1991.

Axl and TB would have nothing too lose by doing this (and I mean the Facebook page is already posting Throwback Thursdays/Tattoo Tuesdays as if that is what's most important in this world...) and it would cost them absolutely nothing plus the fact that they would earn a lot of profit from both memberships and the actual shows, so why not?

What do you guys think about this?

I like the idea, but TB would have to work hard to make sure none of that pro-shot footage ends up on YouTube after someone buys it for $10 on Nightrain, cause then you're looking at a case of diminishing returns as more and more shows get uploaded.

Then there's all the backstage footage to take into account that was supposed to be compiled into that feature-length documentary. It'd still be nice to see something like that.

I'd love to see the pro-shot footage released in some way. If every show on the UYI tour was recorded, as the rumor says, and all the recordings still exist, that's a lot of great material they could release to the world. They could always do some sort of DVD-on-demand sort of thing and allow people to order the performances they want.

And yeah, they'd probably be filing takedown notices on YouTube every single day...

I think you are confusing GN'R with Pearl Jam or Springsteen, i.e. acts who actually cares about their fan base and are competent enough to deliver archival projects. This is Team Brazil/Axl. Anniversaries are celebrated with a new competition for a towel via Nightrain.

• Like 4

I think Axl should save them as his retirement pension and then do what the Dead did and release them as "Mark Canter's picks". If anyone deserves the honor of selecting the UYI shows to release I think it is Mark for all he has done for the boys.

Personally I would rather have a box set of Mark's audio and video recordings but that is a subject for a different thread.

There is a market for releasing tons of these shows through (fan club?) subscription or online. Pearl Jam and Metallica have demonstrated this. Further, The Stones have released a lot of ''official'' bootlegs recently from many shows - Neil Young has done similar with his archive series. But if you are releasing live material the traditional way you have to realistically edit - boil down - a few shows to a deluxe boxset or a series of boxsets such as Kiss's brilliant Kissology trilogy.

The records are pretty old by now and most probably in bad condition. In addition to that there is big difference between raw matirial and ready to be sold well produced product. Who is going to dig out all this old material and actually work hard for who knows how long time to be able to create something distributable. The archive is most probably gone by now because of lack of maintenence.

Edited by vancata

The records are pretty old by now and most probably in bad condition. In addition to that there is big difference between raw matirial and ready to be sold well produced product. Who is going to dig out all this old material and actually work hard for who knows how long time to be able to create something distributable. The archive is most probably gone by now because of lack of maintenence.

They have found old 'lost' silent films from the 1910s in bins, remastered them up and released them - i'm sure the Illusion footage is in good nick. Besides, I'd find it hard to believe that it has not been transfered to digital at some point.

They have found old 'lost' silent films from the 1910s in bins, remastered them up and released them - i'm sure the Illusion footage is in good nick. Besides, I'd find it hard to believe that it has not been transfered to digital at some point.

exactly

besides, there is no need to select anything

pick pretty much any show with Izzy

and you most certainly will find the best band ever just fuckin rocking

dont forget that the 1991 warm up secret shows were shot on film

all you need is a SDB audio fom those shows...

then you put A + B

and there you have it

WAR910509-01-FP.jpg

Realistically u can't just release ALL of those shows. After a while you'd feel like youre watching the same thing over and over, Id think.

Id just pick the best handful to put out, really

Pretty sure Metallica puts out all their shows in some kind of format for download and probably makes a boatload of cash.

No reason these couldn't be released too.. but they probably won't.

So I was thinking about this earlier today, with rumors of a reunion tour and the fact that it seems as though the old guys are on speaking terms again we might soon see more of the pro-shot recordings from the Use Your Illusion Tour that Axl allegedly has in the notorious vault!

But the question is, how would these be delivered to the fans? And I think I came up with a great answer to that...

Next year (2016) marks the 25th anniversary of the tour, so wouldn't it be a nice treatment and/or a trip down memory lane (for both fans and the band) if on the 25th anniversary of each show we would be able to buy that performance through Nightrain or their online store for maybe $10 per show?

This would mean that we (the fans) would be able to get to the see shows we are interested in seeing (like shows you've attended or just shows with special setlists and so on) by paying a small amount and the GN'R camp would earn a lot of money constantly for three years and they would probably also get their fan club to actually gain members!

So to clarify if this seems confusing....

On the 3rd of August 2016 we would be able to buy a pro-shot video with soundboard audio (like the Indiana show) of the epic 3 and a half hour show at Great Western Forum ( :headbang: ) on the 3rd of August 1991.

And on the 31th of August 2016 we would be able to buy Izzy's last show (as a member anyways) from Wembley on the 31th of August 1991.

Axl and TB would have nothing too lose by doing this (and I mean the Facebook page is already posting Throwback Thursdays/Tattoo Tuesdays as if that is what's most important in this world...) and it would cost them absolutely nothing plus the fact that they would earn a lot of profit from both memberships and the actual shows, so why not?

What do you guys think about this?

of course it's an excellent idea, doubt anything would become of it.

they need to get someone who's a fan of the band in the fold and come up with some better social media/ fan club content. all the past stuff has been off limits but maybe things have started to change?

they could do so many cool things with nighttrain but are limited to what axl will allow i guess. i also suppose nobody in the camp would want to bring stuff like this up for fear of pissing off axl.

axl said he isn't retiring but we haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise except some rumours. he probably frequents the forum yet can't throw us a bone here or there. it's been like a year and a half since we heard anything directly from him to indicate what's going on.

Part of the reason something like this hasn't happened yet, must be, at least partly, because Axl doesn't want it to happen. Maybe it's like, not wanting to admit that he probably will never be able to perform again, like he did on that tour, when he was in his prime.

It's fun to think about/wish for though. I agree with others in that the best way to do this would be to have a sort of "best of" type release.

I see where you are coming from but I think there's a money issue, and a time issue. Someone would have to oversee the project, and they couldn't / shouldn't release everything. This is something that they should have done on the CD tour too, but I just don't think Axl would be that interested in giving fans that kind of access (IMO).

I think a more realistic goal now that things seem to be on good terms is a re-released AFD, with a bonus disc including live recordings from the AFD tour (87-89), and a DVD including one of the better shot shows from that era.

UYI I & II re-released as one album (no changes to what's on the album, just a double disc, or triple if they include some alt. mixes or demo takes), also included a DVD of the UYI documentary, and a selection of the better recorded live takes off UYI.

I'd be pretty happy with that.

And a new album, not necessarily even a reunion album; just ANY new music from any line up (new or old). BUT! Let's not get bogged down in the vaults, hoping for live recordings when we could hear songs we've never heard before (some of which Slash was even involved in... according to Richard). New music above all else. And then release the old footage and recordings