Gilby Clarke interview regarding reunion

1 minute ago, Mr. Dude said:

I agree, that's why Fortus ranks higher in points above replacement. Fortus has recorded much more material, toured much longer, and was and is in  better physical, technical, and emotional condition than Gilby was. Fortus has been involved in more eras of GNR than Gilby as well. I'd say the evidence suggests Fortus outranks Clarke in all the pertinent categories. Really he's more styled to GNR too.

Do you see what I mean when I stated, Richard Fortus is considered ''like a cross between Gandhi and Jimi Hendrix'' on this forum?

What the fuck has the guy done to justify this appraisal? Played with Britney and the Backside Boys; toured off of GN'R's music which he never wrote a lick of. He has never contributed anything original in his career. Gilby has four solo albums, one live album, an EP, and two side projects  - not even including his pre-GN'R career with Kills for Thrills!!! And Gilby has at least the common decency to have played with the old band band era and contributed to an old band era album, albeit a covers album.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Do you see what I mean when I stated, Richard Fortus is considered ''like a cross between Gandhi and Jimi Hendrix'' on this forum?

What the fuck has the guy done to justify this appraisal? Played with Britney and the Backside Boys; toured off of GN'R's music which he never wrote a lick of. He has never contributed anything original in his career. Gilby has four solo albums, one live album, an EP, and two side projects  - not even including his pre-GN'R career with Kills for Thrills!!! And Gilby has at least the common decency to have played with the old band band era and contributed to an old band era album, albeit a covers album.

Regardless of the comparison in volume of original material released, there is no denying that Richard Fortus is and always has been in far better physical condition than Gilby Clarke.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

Regardless of the comparison in volume of original material released, there is no denying that Richard Fortus is and always has been in far better physical condition than Gilby Clarke.

If that were the criteria for being in GNR, Axl would have been booted out a long time ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Dude said:

I agree, that's why Fortus ranks higher in points above replacement. Fortus has recorded much more material, toured much longer, and was and is in  better physical, technical, and emotional condition than Gilby was. Fortus has been involved in more eras of GNR than Gilby as well. I'd say the evidence suggests Fortus outranks Clarke in all the pertinent categories. Really he's more styled to GNR too.

:lol: You say all this as if Fortus's multiple eras in GnR mean a god damn fucking thing. They mean jack shit. Gilby was with GnR at the peak of their fame. Giby is way more well known to the world as being part of GnR than Fortus. Fortus does not outrank Gilby in terms of significance to GnR let alone all pertinent categories. In fact Richard and everyone else involved in NuGnR has NO significance. 

I say this as a fan of Richard. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, life_247 said:

Fortus can write with Axl on what Basis?

He has exactly 0 writing credits on CD, he only appears on 5 songs! He's spent most of his career filling in for people in bands - I have no problem with him but he's written very little of note.

He wrote a riff on Better chorus. I could amend it to Axl will work with him. He's found no reason to let him go. The problem with Tobias is Slash didn't think he was good enough. Axl said he couldn't write with Gilby. Fortus has been saying he's worked the material lately. In general and on Slash song. Nothing concrete. 

• Like 1

I seem to have missed something here, some 'lost' Fortus recording demonstrating his axemanship, some fabled solo album sustaining him has the greatest guitarist cum songwriter since Jimi? 

I think the reason people like him is basically because he was the least annoying member of nugnr. Understand that this is a band containing such luminaries as Dizzy Reed, Chris Pitman and DJ Ashba! If nugnr were judged by the ratio of irritants contained in their ranks, they would be the greatest band ever. For Richard Fortus to win this accolade is not exactly an achievement.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I seem to have missed something here, some 'lost' Fortus recording demonstrating his axemanship, some fabled solo album sustaining him has the greatest guitarist cum songwriter since Jimi? 

I don't think the argument here is that Richard is on par with Hendrix, this is just you exaggerating the opposition to make it easier for you to argue, but that he is simply better than Gilby. You can prefer Gilby as much as you want, even based on what he has produced before which is really irrelevant since Axl never wanted him to create music in GN'R in the first place, or because you just like his way of playing over Richard's -- all fine! -- but as far as guitar playing goes, diversity and adaptibility, Richard is a vastly better player. As humble as Gilby is I am sure he would acknowledge that without hesitating. AND Richard has actually contributed with original guitar work to GN'R original music, AND Axl has expressed an interest to actually work on new music with him.

For me it comes down to who I think would be better at playing the GN'R catalogue in shows (including CD material) and who I think is most likely to help push GN'R forward to new releases, and then the answer is Richard, even though I really like Gilby, both as a player, writer and human being.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Richard is a vastly better player.

Never heard it!

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

AND Richard has actually contributed with original guitar work to GN'R original music

I do not consider Chinese Democracy to be a Guns album so this argument carries no validity for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think the reason people like him is basically because he was the least annoying member of nugnr. Understand that this is a band containing such luminaries as Dizzy Reed, Chris Pitman and DJ Ashba! If nugnr were judged by the ratio of irritants contained in their ranks, they would be the greatest band ever. For Richard Fortus to win this accolade is not exactly an achievement.

So you finally admit Fortus outranks Gilby. I knew you'd come around.

I don't care who is better. 

What I'm saying is if they go with Fortus it's because right now he's a better choice. He may have proved himself, it might just be Axl wanting security or it's for the record. 

Fortus has been working with Axl, Slash maybe be fine with him. 

I think there's definitely an element of which side each member falls on. Fortus is team Axl, Gilby is team Slash, right? 

Axl is welcoming Slash and Duff back into Guns not trying to relive the UYI tour?

I see the positive that it might be less nostalgia and more new lineup for a new record. There is hope and then we die. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Never heard it!

I do not consider Chinese Democracy to be a Guns album so this argument carries no validity for me.

Then this all falls within your subjective opinion and is completely uninteresting. Anyone with any KNOWLEDGE about guitar playing would acknowledge Richard's superiority to Gilby and anyone with any UNDERSTANDING of what music GN'R plays in shows, and which is considered a part of their back catalogue whether you refuse to accept it or not, would realize that Richard has actually contributed original guitar parts to that very music.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Then this all falls within your subjective opinion and is completely uninteresting. Anyone with any KNOWLEDGE about guitar playing would acknowledge Richard's superiority to Gilby and anyone with any UNDERSTANDING of what music GN'R plays in shows, and which is considered a part of their back catalogue whether you refuse to accept it or not, would realize that Richard has actually contributed original guitar parts to that very music.

It's not cause he lacks guitar playing knowledge. He just won't admit Richard is the better player cause he's incapable of being objective when it comes to guitar players in Guns that are not Izzy, Gilby, or Slash. You can like what you like but you'd have to be deaf not to hear the big difference.

As a rhythm and lead player, Fortus is better compared to Gilby. He is more versatile as well. The way he plays You're Crazy for example is great. He can do the bluesy stuff, hard rock, and he has a modern twist like in his Better riff and it gave balls to the whole song.

Gilby looked the part, learned the material quickly and did it justice live. That's fuckin' it! he replaced Izzy's rhythm parts on a cover album that sold poorly.

Also Richard stated many times he recorded a bunch of material for Axl and I would imagine there are a ton of songs or at least a shitload of riffs, leads, and 4Tus layers for Axl to tinker with into instrumental retirement.

Edited by Rovim

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't get fired up. It's just the same people t-rolling the board trying to enhance their on-line persona. And the typical people who praise anything that Axl does. Axl hired Fortus and he fired Gilby (who Slash and Duff liked) - hence, we must love Fortus more than Gilby. 

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Diesel, in case you don't understand soul monsters arrogant and pretentious post, he was kind enough to put some of the words in complete capitals for you. You should stop having your own opinion on GnR and jury agree with everything Soul says. Because he is smarter than you. He knows everything and you know nothing. Just ask him. I am extremely thankful that he is here to educate and ridicule the rest of us morons on a daily basis. 

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think the argument here is that Richard is on par with Hendrix, this is just you exaggerating the opposition to make it easier for you to argue, but that he is simply better than Gilby. You can prefer Gilby as much as you want, even based on what he has produced before which is really irrelevant since Axl never wanted him to create music in GN'R in the first place, or because you just like his way of playing over Richard's -- all fine! -- but as far as guitar playing goes, diversity and adaptibility, Richard is a vastly better player.

Do you talk to people like this in real life? Do you not see how arrogant and smug it makes you sound?

18 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Diesel, in case you don't understand soul monsters arrogant and pretentious post, he was kind enough to put some of the words in complete capitals for you. You should stop having your own opinion on GnR and jury agree with everything Soul says. Because he is smarter than you. He knows everything and you know nothing. Just ask him. I am extremely thankful that he is here to educate and ridicule the rest of us morons on a daily basis. 

No, having one's own opinions is fine. But whether a guitarist is more versatile than another guitarist and whether a guitarist has been featured on a band's recorded original music, is actually beyond the realm of opinions. It is something for which we can have more than subjective opinions, it is something we can KNOW. I have nothing against Diesel preferring Gilby, or anyone preferring anything -- which I pointed out rather explicitly in a post here, that is all fine -- but Diesel doesn't merely state that he prefers Gilby, he questions how anyone can prefer Richard and even argues against what are demonstrable facts. If anything constitutes trålling in this thread, your indignant and flailing outburst excluded, then that would be Diesel's unwilingness to accept the difference between personal opinions and facts.

Before posting I generously capitilized, bolded and italiced (is that even a word?) some words for your benefit. Not because I doubt you would grasp what I am writing without such typographical embellishments -- no one could ever doubt your intelligence -- but because it seemed to amuse you the first time around.

26 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Do you talk to people like this in real life? Do you not see how arrogant and smug it makes you sound?

If that constituted a smug and arrogant post, then I suppose you exist in a perpetual state of indignation. I guess it is a side-effect of only having seals and otters to talk to :D

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yngwie Malmsteen is better than both of them but I don't want him anywhere near Guns N' Roses..

Which is fine. Neither would I. This isnt about who we would want in the band, well, I guess it originally was, but who is the better guitarist and who have actually contributed to GN'R catalogue of original music. We are free to prefer whoever we want and I absolutely see why people would prefer Gilby (I like him, too, just not as much as Richard).

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Truth ^

Gilby Clarke...what a talented guitarist/songwriter. 

Songs like "Cure Me or Kill Me" would have made GREAT Gn'R songs on the follow ups to the Illusions albums if Axl wasn't trying to get all Trent Reznor on our asses.. The Dead Flowers cover would have also fit perfectly on a Gn'R record.. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I play guitar.

Nope, never seen evidence of these inflated guitar skills of Fortus, and I've seen Nugnr two times and have the Dead Daisies album. He might be slightly better than Gilby in the lead department, but the way it is portrayed here as if there is this massive discrepancy between Gilby's and Richard's playing, which I do not see. Besides, it is not about skills per se, but chemistry. Stradlin might not be considered a 'good guitarist' by certain segments of the population, an opinion I do not hold myself, yet he is perfect for Guns and Slash. You could stick Bucket in there alongside Slash and it will not have the magic that Slash and Izzy had.

Gilby and Slash obviously had a good chemistry on the Illusion tour.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I play guitar.

Nope, never seen evidence of these inflated guitar skills of Fortus, and I've seen Nugnr two times and have the Dead Daisies album. He might be slightly better than Gilby in the lead department, but the way it is portrayed here as if there is this massive discrepancy between Gilby's and Richard's playing, which I do not see. Besides, it is not about skills per se, but chemistry. Stradlin might not be considered a 'good guitarist' by certain segments of the population, an opinion I do not hold myself, yet he is perfect for Guns and Slash. You could stick Bucket in there alongside Slash and it will not have the magic that Slash and Izzy had.

Gilby and Slash obviously had a good chemistry on the Illusion tour.

Stated perfectly... I'll add if Fortus is slightly better than Gilby at lead, it is a moot point because Slash is back.. The only lead Fortus needs to play is the 10 seconds in Nightrain...