Gilby Clarke interview regarding reunion

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

I totally agree with this! Really hoping the show has changed from all we've seen during the last decade. I can't understand people attached to Gilby Clarke??? How many of you HAVE REALLY seen Clarke in a big band after Guns? How can you miss something that was never a big deal? Remember when Clarke broke his arm and Izzy replaced him? People were thrilled for having Izzy back. Clarke isn't special.

I don't miss Sorum, I don't miss Gilby, those guys don't have outstanding careers that make you drool over the thought of having them back! It is Axl and Slash the ones we really missed, and in second place comes Duff and Izzy. Steven Adler?? Come on, no one missed him during the UYI tour!

This current combination sounds and looks good. I don't want nostalgia shows, sick of them, even though I know they will mostly play the hits and old material, I hope there is at least a change in the set list with different covers, solos and NEW material, if that was possible.

I couldn't care what other people think. All I know is I love Pawnshop Guitars. The Hangover is a good album also, as is, to a lesser degree, Rubber and Swag - I can talk about these albums if you want but expect you do not really want me to? I thought he was a good replacement for my favourite Guns member, Izzy. I liked his work on Snakepit also. I accepted Gilby as a member of GN'R when I was ten years old. I have still never accepted any of these nugnr jokers as Guns. I do not really understand why this guy has become unpopular with the fanbase, and Fortus is hailed as this messiah genius figure. The terms versatile and professional are thrown about like cricket balls, yet he has played with the Backside Boys or Nsync!! You are making him sound like, well, Buckethead.

Fortus has merely leeched off of the old band whereas Gilby was a member of the old band, albeit a replacement.

And you can criticise the chap all you want but Gilby puts out original material. He writes. He produces. He has a handful of solo albums under his belt. The first solo album sold well. He had a signed band before gnr. Fortus has done nothing but sideman for pop artists like Britney and Backside Boys and loach of Gn'r. Alright alright, I will give you the Dead Daisies which is an alright album, but there is not much else there, is there?

I just do not see what is so great about this guy! You people exult him way beyond his worth. Just what is so great about? I saw nugnr twice and I can barely remember him playing a lead lick. All I recall was he bashed his strings a lot a la Townsend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Slash should play those iconic solos he is known for (SCOM, NR, Estranged, etc), but Richard could come forward and play some lead, too, or add memorable second guitar to songs. Take GN'R forward, not just replicate whatever Izzy did. This is an outstanding opportunity to mix things up a bit, be creative, create next.generation versions of GN'R songs. It is a unique opportunity, I hope they don't just squander it by insisting that Richard should stay in the background. Then they might as well bring in someone more boring than Richard.

You want Fortus to play Slash's leads? Are you insane? Shoot me in the fucking face if that is what starts happening lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

I totally agree with this! Really hoping the show has changed from all we've seen during the last decade.

There are a lot of people weren't into, didn't like or give a crap about Gn'R the last decade.. From what I have seen I hope it changes too. I hope Fortus stops playing lead, Frank Learns his drums and Axl sounds half different. That would be good enough change for me.

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I couldn't care what other people think. All I know is I love Pawnshop Guitars. The Hangover is a good album also, as is, to a lesser degree, Rubber and Swag - I can talk about these albums if you want but expect you do not really want me to? I thought he was a good replacement for my favourite Guns member, Izzy. I liked his work on Snakepit also. I accepted Gilby as a member of GN'R when I was ten years old. I have still never accepted any of these nugnr jokers as Guns. I do not really understand why this guy has become unpopular with the fanbase, and Fortus is hailed as this messiah genius figure. The terms versatile and professional are thrown about like cricket balls, yet he has played with the Backside Boys or Nsync!! You are making him sound like, well, Buckethead.

Fortus has merely leeched off of the old band whereas Gilby was a member of the old band, albeit a replacement.

And you can criticise the chap all you want but Gilby puts out original material. He writes. He produces. He has a handful of solo albums under his belt. The first solo album sold well. He had a signed band before gnr. Fortus has done nothing but sideman for pop artists like Britney and Backside Boys and loach of Gn'r. Alright alright, I will give you the Dead Daisies which is an alright album, but there is not much else there, is there?

I just do not see what is so great about this guy! You people exult him way beyond his worth. Just what is so great about? I saw nugnr twice and I can barely remember him playing a lead lick. All I recall was he bashed his strings a lot a la Townsend.

We will have to agree to disagree because I feel all the contrary that you feel. I have Pawnshop Guitars and back in the day I used to play it a lot because you were stuck with a whole CD because of a single song. But now I don't remember any song from it, except maybe Cure Me Or Kill Me and, of course, Dead Flowers. Today my perception of it is "average album" from the 90's.

I didn't buy any more albums from Gilby Clarke and actually any other album from the former members of GNR, whether they were original or replacement. All of them sing like crap and the music is shit. But of course, this is my opinion and it doesn't mean anything to anyone other than me, I guess.

I have not accepted Gilby as a member of GNR. When I started liking this band, Izzy was still around and Sorum had recently joined but I never liked him either. His voice and general attitude, and his awful hair, turned me off. Truth is I never cared about Gilby, Sorum and not even Dizzy Reed. Some people say Clarke participated in the band's biggest shows and solely because of that he deserves to be back. I say bullshit. When I think of the Tokyo '92 show or Chicago '92 or Freddy Mercury tribute, the only faces I remember are Axl's, Slash and Duff. Mainly, Axl and Slash. The rest is just decoration.

As for the "nuGuns", I don't consider them band members either but for the time that new lineup was put together, I had already understood that Slash, Duff and everybody else were gone, never to return. I accepted this at some point before Chinese Democracy was released because I stayed around to support Axl. He was the main and only reason I had to keep following "the band" and once it was clear the old members weren't coming back I moved on along with him. Since then, it doesn't really matter to me who's plays with Axl because I've been shown that expecting a stable lineup for GNR is ridiculous at this point. Axl will hire and fire whoever he wants and if you wanna be a fan of GNR you have to accept this or fuck off.

That said, if you ask me do I want to see people like Buckethead or Robin Finck back? I'd say NO. I rather see new people than the replacement of the replacement of the replacement. In the case of Fortus, he's the one with the most stability in the band, aside from Dizzy, and I'm used to see him around when I attended the shows or watch You Tube videos. Just because you don't seem to have followed that GNR lineup, it doesn't mean Fortus is invisible. He had quite a presence in all of the shows.

Clarke and Sorum are not Slash and Duff. No one misses them. People outside these forums don't even know who Izzy or Adler are, much less those two replacements from two decades ago.

I don't know what's so special about Fortus, except that he's one of the guitarists from the CD era lineup that people accept the most and don't mock him like with DJ Ashba, and if you've been following the band through the dark times, you know the guy has been around, unlike Sorum and Clarke who have become total strangers to us.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I couldn't care what other people think. All I know is I love Pawnshop Guitars.

Oh yeah I love that one too. I even have "Blooze". I didn't like the rest of his solo albums and he can't write lyrics for shit though

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I am sure Richard is prepared for that. He is a a consumate professional. That being said, with two guitar players of such caliber as Richard and Slash, and such compatible styles where they fullfill eachother, I hope they use this unique opportunity to change things up a bit. Sure, Slash should play those iconic solos he is known for (SCOM, NR, Estranged, etc), but Richard could come forward and play some lead, too, or add memorable second guitar to songs. Take GN'R forward, not just replicate whatever Izzy did. This is an outstanding opportunity to mix things up a bit, be creative, create next.generation versions of GN'R songs. It is a unique opportunity, I hope they don't just squander it by insisting that Richard should stay in the background. Then they might as well bring in someone more boring than Richard.

Holy fucking shit. What kind of fucked up mind do you have to have to seriously suggest that in a world where Slash is in GnR that Richard should be given one second of lead time? Seriously this is the type of bullshit thinking that makes me think people like you are not even Guns N Roses fans. If Axl woke up tomorrow and said he doesn't want Richard in GnR your opinion on Richard would turn in a heart beat. You'd be the guy who says you felt all along that Richard was never suited for GnR and it's for the best. Honestly just reading such comments like Richard should take lead spots on GnR songs with Slash in the band makes me wonder about the mental wellness of people like you. Were you ever a fan of the REAL Guns N Roses? I'm guessing no.  I mean in 2016 with a partial reunion you're sitting there saying they should take GnR forward and create "next generation versions of GnR songs" as if anyone on the planet even wants that.  As if diminishing Slash's roll and increasing Richards is the way to do it. I'm sorry but that is just flat out fucking stupid.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

We will have to agree to disagree because I feel all the contrary that you feel. I have Pawnshop Guitars and back in the day I used to play it a lot because you were stuck with a whole CD because of a single song. But now I don't remember any song from it, except maybe Cure Me Or Kill Me and, of course, Dead Flowers. Today my perception of it is "average album" from the 90's.

I didn't buy any more albums from Gilby Clarke and actually any other album from the former members of GNR, whether they were original or replacement. All of them sing like crap and the music is shit. But of course, this is my opinion and it doesn't mean anything to anyone other than me, I guess.

I have not accepted Gilby as a member of GNR. When I started liking this band, Izzy was still around and Sorum had recently joined but I never liked him either. His voice and general attitude, and his awful hair, turned me off. Truth is I never cared about Gilby, Sorum and not even Dizzy Reed. Some people say Clarke participated in the band's biggest shows and solely because of that he deserves to be back. I say bullshit. When I think of the Tokyo '92 show or Chicago '92 or Freddy Mercury tribute, the only faces I remember are Axl's, Slash and Duff. Mainly, Axl and Slash. The rest is just decoration.

As for the "nuGuns", I don't consider them band members either but for the time that new lineup was put together, I had already understood that Slash, Duff and everybody else were gone, never to return. I accepted this at some point before Chinese Democracy was released because I stayed around to support Axl. He was the main and only reason I had to keep following "the band" and once it was clear the old members weren't coming back I moved on along with him. Since then, it doesn't really matter to me who's plays with Axl because I've been shown that expecting a stable lineup for GNR is ridiculous at this point. Axl will hire and fire whoever he wants and if you wanna be a fan of GNR you have to accept this or fuck off.

That said, if you ask me do I want to see people like Buckethead or Robin Finck back? I'd say NO. I rather see new people than the replacement of the replacement of the replacement. In the case of Fortus, he's the one with the most stability in the band, aside from Dizzy, and I'm used to see him around when I attended the shows or watch You Tube videos. Just because you don't seem to have followed that GNR lineup, it doesn't mean Fortus is invisible. He had quite a presence in all of the shows.

Clarke and Sorum are not Slash and Duff. No one misses them. People outside these forums don't even know who Izzy or Adler are, much less those two replacements from two decades ago.

I don't know what's so special about Fortus, except that he's one of the guitarists from the CD era lineup that people accept the most and don't mock him like with DJ Ashba, and if you've been following the band through the dark times, you know the guy has been around, unlike Sorum and Clarke who have become total strangers to us.

All of this is hilarious. You think Sorum and Gilby are strangers and everyone knows who Richard is. Go survey the average people on the street.  guaran-fucking-tee you way more people will connect Gilby Clark and Matt Sorum with Guns N Roses than Richard Fortus. In fact the overwhelming vast majority of people will look like deer caught in the headlights whe  you ask them who Richard Fortus is. Being part of GUns N Roses at the peak of their fame and playing on the Illusion albums(sorum) is so much fucking more of a contribution to the legacy of GnR than Richard Fortus has ever done.  Pretty much all I'm getting from you is you accepted Richard because the almighty Axl Rose did and you don't accept Gilby or Matt bcause Axl fired them. That pretty much sums it up. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

You want Fortus to play Slash's leads? Are you insane? Shoot me in the fucking face if that is what starts happening lol

Heh, not necesarrily Slash's leads, maybe Bucket's or Robin's or Izzy's (the few he's got), or Bumble's, or even some of the less memorable Slash leads, or leads on covers. Many opportunities here to push Richard forward and not just let him be a support for Slash's noodling.

2 hours ago, Bono said:

Holy fucking shit. What kind of fucked up mind do you have to have to seriously suggest that in a world where Slash is in GnR that Richard should be given one second of lead time?

That sort of mind where one acknowledges the brilliance of Richard's guitar playing and would want him to shine next to Slash, for instance by replacing leads from Bucket, Robin, Bumble and Izzy, and do leads on covers, and even replace some of the less memorable leads from Slash. The last thing I want is some nostalgia trip where the band acts like it was a UYI lineup, asking Richard to emulate what Gilby did, and not playing CD songs. That is not only boring but a waste of talents. There is room enough for both Slash and Richard to shine here. But of course, yeah, if you are idolizing everything Slash does then I understand you would want him to play every lead and Richard to only play rhythm, favorably far out on the stage, preferably behind the amps where he isn't seen. I get it. No worries. And nO reason to act like an abrasive jerk just because you are exposed to conflicting opinions.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The last thing I want is some nostalgia trip where the band acts like it was a UYI lineup, asking Richard to emulate what Gilby did, and not playing CD songs. 

News flash: that's what the rest of the world wants. That's the reason this is happening to begin with.

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

I have not accepted Gilby as a member of GNR. When I started liking this band, Izzy was still around and Sorum had recently joined but I never liked him either. His voice and general attitude, and his awful hair, turned me off.

Here's where I realized this post was made by someone who has no fucking clue what they're talking about.  Did those things affect Sorum performance in studio or on tour?  Nope.  So, what does it matter if his hair was awful?  Sigh.

Get a grip, son.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bards said:

News flash: that's what the rest of the world wants. That's the reason this is happening to begin with.

Exactly.. Slash is back and people want to see him play the stuff with Guns N' Roses that he hasn't played in 25 years or maybe even some new stuff. No one gives a crap about Richard's take on Bumblefoots solos on Chinese Democracy lol. Aside from Axl diehards on forums, most people don't know, care or even like that album.. 

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah, don't fuck with classic GNR songs imo. Like, don't split SCOMs solo up or give Richard a November Rain solo, etc. 

All Gn'R songs from that era are classic ;)

10 hours ago, Bono said:

All of this is hilarious. You think Sorum and Gilby are strangers and everyone knows who Richard is. Go survey the average people on the street.  guaran-fucking-tee you way more people will connect Gilby Clark and Matt Sorum with Guns N Roses than Richard Fortus. In fact the overwhelming vast majority of people will look like deer caught in the headlights whe  you ask them who Richard Fortus is. Being part of GUns N Roses at the peak of their fame and playing on the Illusion albums(sorum) is so much fucking more of a contribution to the legacy of GnR than Richard Fortus has ever done.

I didn't say that, or at least, I didn't mean that. I know most people who are casual GNR fans and not die-hards like me don't have a clue who Fortus is and the rest of guys who joined Axl in the 2000's are. I have friends who like Guns N' Roses and all they know about it is Axl and Slash. Yes, it'd be great to survey people on the street, if I had the means to do it I would, or we could have Jimmy Kimmel doing it..... I can safely bet very few people would connect Clarke and Sorum to Guns N' Roses. And it'd be the same with Fortus, Pitman, Bumble, etc.

I would agree with you that Sorum has a more solid contribution than the rest for playing in the UYI albums, but that's all there is to it. Gilby Clarke touring for 2 years with them is not that much of an accomplishment than what other replacements did. He wasn't an outstanding guitarist in that era. The weight of the guitar show was all on Slash.

Pretty much all I'm getting from you is you accepted Richard because the almighty Axl Rose did and you don't accept Gilby or Matt bcause Axl fired them. That pretty much sums it up. 

Hmmm, I think I said something along those lines, minus the mean tone you're adding to it. So for clarification, I will repeat that when I decided to continue being a GN'R fan after 1999, I started "accepting" all the musicians that came and go because I wanted to hear Chinese Democracy. And that doesn't mean I LOVED or liked all of them. I never liked Buckethead, for example, and I didn't like Bumblefoot either. I tolerated them just like in 1992 I had to tolerate Sorum and Gilby Clarke. Most of those people have been gone for a while and I don't miss them and I don't want them back: be it Sorum, Buckethead, Clarke or Paul Huge.

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Gilby Clarke touring for 2 years with them is not that much of an accomplishment than what other replacements did

He toured with Guns when they were at their commercial peak for crying out loud, gigantic stadium shows, the Paris PPV a world event; it is Gilby you see in all of those blockbuster music videos, November Rain, etc!! You cannot compare this to a nugnr replacement sporadically playing Appetite in Vegas.

7 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Here's where I realized this post was made by someone who has no fucking clue what they're talking about.  Did those things affect Sorum performance in studio or on tour?  Nope.  So, what does it matter if his hair was awful?  Sigh.

Get a grip, son.

No, those things didn't affect his performance in studio or on tour but turns out the guy got fired, so how do you explain a guy gets fired if he's such a perfect musician? Looks like you've got all the clues in the world.

I'm not your son, btw.

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He toured with Guns when they were at their commercial peak for crying out loud, gigantic stadium shows, the Paris PPV a world event; it is Gilby you see in all of those blockbuster music videos, November Rain, etc!! You cannot compare this to a nugnr replacement sporadically playing Appetite in Vegas.

Yeah, I suppose I must give credit to a guy who didn't move a finger to create those amazing albums, yet he got to enjoy all of the perks that came with that tour. Impressive! Some people are very lucky and others are just not touched by the magic of easy money.

Edited by killuridols

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Exactly.. Slash is back and people want to see him play the stuff with Guns N' Roses that he hasn't played in 25 years or maybe even some new stuff. No one gives a crap about Richard's take on Bumblefoots solos on Chinese Democracy lol. Aside from Axl diehards on forums, most people don't know, care or even like that album..

Again, I really don't see how what others want is relevant when I talk about what I want. What "everybody" else wants has zero bearing on what I want and doesn't really work as a counter argument to me talking about what I hope for the coming shows. I honestly don't understand why a statement like "I would like [...]" is so often met with "no one would like that. Everybody wants this" type arguments, as if by pointing to consensus opinions would somehow automagically negate conflicting opinions from a minority. I think ALL here understand what the majority of fans want, we are not stupid even if we seem to have dissenting opinions on the issue.

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Heh, not necesarrily Slash's leads, maybe Bucket's or Robin's or Izzy's (the few he's got), or Bumble's, or even some of the less memorable Slash leads, or leads on covers. Many opportunities here to push Richard forward and not just let him be a support for Slash's noodling.

I agree. Axl should groom Fortus. Slash has a long history of quitting bands and talking shit about them later so Richard needs to be ready should Slash do this again.