New Todd Kerns Interview on Toddcast Podcast. "We are still scheduled to record in Spring, it will be done in chapters"

KeyserSoze

interview starts about 31 minutes in.

The first question Todd is asked is about how long he knew about the GNR reunion. He says it felt like forever to keep it a secret and thats mainly what his original comments were about but they were taken out of context by various media sources. At the time it was presented to the conspirators, it was still something that might or might not be happening. He says 2016 was going to be a wildcard year being that Myles Kennedy was basically committed to Alter Bridge for the whole year. 

Todd explained that when it was first presented to them, it was presented in different plans. He said the main plan was for Coachella and Vegas and then to see what happens from there.

Todd mentions it was hard to keep the reunion talk quite especially when it kept flaring up over those past couple of months of 2015. He talks about how he had to lie to who his own friends who continuously tried to text and call him about it.

Talking about SMK&C, Todd says as far as he knows, they are still scheduled to start recording in the spring, but he says things are subject to change do to this being the biggest rock story right now. 

Todd says the album will be worked on in chapters, comparing it to WOF and who Myles worked on it due to his main project Alter Bridge getting in the way. Todd says now everyone in the band is being kept busy, even himself, so it will be interesting to see what happens, saying that this time it will be 10 times more challenging. Todd then goes on to say recording will probably go into the fall and maybe even the winter and myles will show up when he can. 

Todd is excited about the bands first break since 2010, and says the conspirators album will most likely be out by 2017.. hopefully 

Todd then goes on to talk about all sorts of cultural things he has learned while on tour the past couple of years. He mentions the South American tours are the best to play. 

4 hours ago, Italian girl said:

If they record the new album during the  next fall/winter season, it makes me think that slash won't be busy touring with gnr in south America or europe :blink:

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. Slash's main band now is Guns. When he is needed to tour or record I think he'll put everything else on the back burner. This thing is a huge money making machine, The Conspirators is Slash's band and I think he'll come back to it as soon as he can and there is time to do it. Guns is not always active and Slash always likes to play live so it's a good outlet for him. It's just priorities.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

i really want Slash to continue with the Conspirators next year,the Guns tour is exciting and hopefully continues for the remainder of 2016 and going global,however i do love Slash and Co.

Yeah, I love this reunion but I'm hoping they manage to put something out next year too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It seems like SLash needs a creative outlet oustide of GN'R. Another sign that the "reunion" is only a nostalgia trip.

What are you talking about? no sign. We still don't know shit. It's too early to start being a negative nancy about it cause you didn't want them to reunite in the first place. Let's not pull shit from our asses just yet cause you know... side projects are, indeed, a thing.

Slash put a lot of time and effort into building something of his own, his own band with no drama bullshit and total artistic control so it makes perfect sense he'll want to continue being a part of it and move forward with it when he can. Doesn't mean Guns is not his first priority or that this is only a nostalgia trip. Time will tell. If they announce and release an album that's how you'll know it's not a nostalgia trip. Another post fueled by bitterness. Basically you seem upset about CD ll, new Guns, and unwanted reunions. Fucks with your objectivity.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Rovim said:

What are you talking about? no sign. We still don't know shit. It's too early to start being a negative nancy about it cause you didn't want them to reunite in the first place. Let's not pull shit from our asses just yet cause you know... side projects are, indeed, a thing.

Slash put a lot of time and effort into building something of his own, his own band with no drama bullshit and total artistic control so it makes perfect sense he'll want to continue being a part of it and move forward with it when he can. Doesn't mean Guns is not his first priority or that this is only a nostalgia trip. Time will tell. If they announce and release an album that's how you'll know it's not a nostalgia trip. Another post fueled by bitterness. Basically you seem upset about CD ll, new Guns, and unwanted reunions. Fucks with your objectivity.

You don't think the fact that Slash intends to continue with his Conspirators project is a sign that the new GN'R lineup is for nostalgia only and has no intention of releasing new music? Okay :D

32 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You don't think the fact that Slash intends to continue with his Conspirators project is a sign that the new GN'R lineup is for nostalgia only and has no intention of releasing new music? Okay :D

The best part about this is you're one of the experts who thought and pretty much guaranteed always that a reunion would NEVER happen because you know Axl......... okay :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Not necessarily.  Take a look at Alter Bridge guitarist Mark Tremonti.  He has a solo band and he's got a couple of good albums on his belt in that outlet, already, and yet, he's going into April along with Myles to record guitars and vocals for the next AB album.

I think Slash will always have ideas in his head for songs that can go into an album.  It will just depend on whether or not the guys that are in the bands, whether it be in GNR or with Myles/Conspirators, are interested enough and have the time to do it.

I would think that for certain if everyone in GNR is up for it, they can totally make an album and do it in a way that can reflect where they want to go, not where they used to be and nostalgia and all of that nonsense.  I think with enough hype that album can sell well, and do something like hit #1 on Billboard 200.  Will it sell 500k+ copies in the first week?  Probably unlikely given the condition of the current industry, but I think it can sell enough to take notice that, hey, GNR is back and it is not empty nostalgia fueling them.  Again, that's if everyone in GNR wants to do it.

Edited by Anguyen92

6 minutes ago, Anguyen92 said:

Not necessarily.  Take a look at Alter Bridge guitarist Mark Tremonti.

Oh, there are many musicians who have side projects while creating music with their main project. But has Slash ever done that? He started his Snakepit project when GN'R was falling apart. Did he release anything on the side while VR was active? I don't know. If not, then I would say Slash tends to be "faithful" to the main creative project, which, taken together with Conspirators annoucning their intention to create, suggests Slash considers Guns N' Roses as a nostalgia thing allowing him to be creative in his side project (or maybe he even considers GN'R the "side project"?).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh, there are many musicians who have side projects while creating music with their main project. But has Slash ever done that? He started his Snakepit project when GN'R was falling apart. Did he release anything on the side while VR was active? I don't know. If not, then I would say Slash tends to be "faithful" to the main creative project, which, taken together with Conspirators annoucning their intention to create, suggests Slash considers Guns N' Roses as a nostalgia thing allowing him to be creative in his side project (or maybe he even considers GN'R the "side project"?).

Or maybe he is faithful to the Conspirators and wants at least release an album they already have put so much effort in?

Also, didn't you notice Slash and Axl are working in such different time frames and them would allow Slash to work on multiple side projects while being lead guitarist in GNR? 

Do you still believe it was more likely for fakeGuns to release new music than it is for this incarnation of GNR?

Your soul must be bleeding mate.

19 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Do you still believe it was more likely for fakeGuns to release new music than it is for this incarnation of GNR?

It's a good question. Like I really have no idea. On one hand, Axl said CD ll is done, but before Slash and Duff came back to Guns it seemed there was no one to push Axl to release it.

Now, maybe he'll feel more confident to release more music, but my guess is (if we consider the way Axl operated in the past) he'll want to record Slash and Duff and who knows what kind of album it will be, how long it will take to finish it again, and if Axl is even interested in releasing more music. (I think he does, cause it's a chance for him to cap it off with a Guns album that will be accepted by more fans)

They don't have to release anything. They can tour for a long time and make a lot of money. It could take years.

On the other hand there is probably a lot of material, the musical chemistry Axl had with Slash and Duff could potentially help him in the studio, and he added Bumble and Frank quite quickly and Chinese was released not too long after that.

As a fan of Chinese I can understand Soulmonster's frustration, but it won't be just a nostalgia thing cause of Slash and Duff. If Axl wants to make the last chapter of this band count, which means releasing at least another good album, it won't be Slash that fucks it up. It won't be Duff either.

Edited by Rovim

55 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Slash wanted to comeback to Guns for a long time now imo. When Duff joined Axl in 2010 on stage Slash was bummed out. I don't believe it's a side project for him.

Besides, Slash has always recorded and released albums and toured a lot. Axl is the one who made it a nostalgia trip, playing mostly old Guns tunes, releasing one album. It was more a nostalgia trip with new Guns, even if I don't think Axl intended it to be one.

Slash can multi task. It's not that hard when Axl always takes long breaks with Guns. It's not active all the time.

Edited by Rovim

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

This is a good question actually. Like I really have no idea. On one hand, Axl said CD ll is done, but before Slash and Duff came back to Guns it seemed there was no one to push Axl to release it.

Now, maybe he'll feel more confident to release more music, but my guess is (if we consider the way Axl operated in the past) he'll want to record Slash and Duff and who knows what kind of album it will be, how long it will take to finish it again, and if Axl is even interested in releasing more music. (I think he does, cause it's a chance for him to cap it off with a Guns album that will be accepted by more fans)

They don't have to release anything. They can tour for a long time and make a lot of money. It could take years.

On the other hand there is probably a lot of material, the musical chemistry Axl had with Slash and Duff could potentially help him in the studio, and he added Bumble and Frank quite quickly and Chinese was released not too long after that.

As a fan of Chinese I can understand Soulmonster's frustration, but it won't be just a nostalgia thing cause of Slash and Duff. If Axl wants to make the last chapter of this band count, which means releasing at least another good album, it won't be Slash that fucks it up. It won't be Duff.

Agree. But fact is Axl was talking a long time ago about more music being done. There must be a reason he didn't release it already. I, personally, don't think he would have release it in another 7 years. 

Does it mean he will release something with Slash and Duff? Probably not! 

But at least something changed so I see our chances for new music slightly better than before.

48 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Or maybe he is faithful to the Conspirators and wants at least release an album they already have put so much effort in?

Also, didn't you notice Slash and Axl are working in such different time frames and them would allow Slash to work on multiple side projects while being lead guitarist in GNR? 

Your soul must be bleeding mate.

Yes, I still believe a continuation of "nuGuns" would have had a higher probability of new music being released than this incarnation of GN'R which I fear is a complete nostagia trip. But luckily this is a hybrid lineup which could just mean they will work on new music, so I don't rule it out. But I think the probability of new music dropped when Slash and Duff returned to the band.

34 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Slash wanted to comeback to Guns for a long time now imo. When Duff joined Axl in 2010 on stage Slash was bummed out. I don't believe it's a side project for him.

Besides, Slash has always recorded and released albums and toured a lot. Axl is the one who made it a nostalgia trip, playing mostly old Guns tunes, releasing one album. It was more a nostalgia trip with new Guns, even if I don't think Axl intended it to be one.

Slash can multi task. It's not that hard when Axl always takes long breaks with Guns. It's not active all the time.

But HAS Slash ever worked on records for two different bands (where he is the main guitarist) at the same time? He didn't do it back in GN'R when things were slow, only when it collapsed did he start Snakepit. Did he do it while in VR? If not, my argument is that he is "loyal" (for want of better word) to his main band. I am absolutely not saying he doesn't have the capacity to create music in multiple projects at the same time (he is awesome in that regard and always do smaller side projects where he adds solos and leads to other projects), just that he seems to reserve his time and commitment to his main project to ensure progression. Which is also applauable.

The fact that he proceeds with the Conspirators could then mean he realizes there won't be any writing in GN'R, or that he is not that very much committed to GN'R.

39 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But HAS Slash ever worked on records for two different bands (where he is the main guitarist) at the same time? He didn't do it back in GN'R when things were slow, only when it collapsed did he start Snakepit. Did he do it while in VR? If not, my argument is that he is "loyal" (for want of better word) to his main band. I am absolutely not saying he doesn't have the capacity to create music in multiple projects at the same time (he is awesome in that regard and always do smaller side projects where he adds solos and leads to other projects), just that he seems to reserve his time and commitment to his main project to ensure progression. Which is also applauable.

The fact that he proceeds with the Conspirators could then mean he realizes there won't be any writing in GN'R, or that he is not that very much committed to GN'R.

I still think it's a little too early to conclude that. No one knows how it will turn out. They've decided to give it a shot. They have many options. Axl has many options now.

It's also worth considering Slash's abilities as a musician, his work ethic, and just his will to always play his guitar. He is also a session musician.

He's a hard working man. He prefers to stay busy. To answer your question: no, he never juggled 2 bands before. Doesn't mean he can't do it just like Myles is doing. I guess we'll see. Don't think he'll risk his potential work in Guns after 20 years of not having the option to be a part of it. But putting to rest The Conspirators, a project that he cultivated for years doesn't make sense. No good reason to do it really.

And btw: even for a big new Guns fan such as yourself, it's not all shitty. Like Fortus and Slash seems like they will be a good fit together musically. Duff and Slash can spark something in Axl if it goes well. Less insecure. More accepted by the fans potentially.

If he released CD ll with Ashba and Bumble in the band, it would have garnered less interest imo. I think Axl cares about having weight to every release. It's a huge thing for him to release an album.

Doesn't have to be a nostalgia trip, and I really doubt The Conspirators will get in the way of that or Slash for that matter.

Bottom line is Axl has everything he can possibly need now to make it not pathetic. He decides if it's more than just a nostalgia trip.

Edited by Rovim

34 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I still think it's a little too early to conclude that.

I agree, pure speculation from my side.

I have never said it is all shitty. I preferred it if "nuGuns" had continued, true, but I draw lots of enjoyment from this new, unexpedted turn of events. Particuraly, I am very happy for all teh fans who wanted nothing but to see Axl and Slash back onstage together. I also look forward to hearing how Fortus and Slash mesh and hoping for some rare songs being played. I am generally a happy go lucky guy.

Edited by SoulMonster

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, I still believe a continuation of "nuGuns" would have had a higher probability of new music being released than this incarnation of GN'R which I fear is a complete nostagia trip. But luckily this is a hybrid lineup which could just mean they will work on new music, so I don't rule it out. But I think the probability of new music dropped when Slash and Duff returned to the band.

I have a hard time believing you are serious with your statements. 

Actually I'm thinking you're a smart guy liking to provoke just because you're bitter with the situation right now.