Ticket Demand?

18 minutes ago, thunderram said:

This whining and crying about ticket prices baffles me -- especially from those that keep referring to themselves as superfans. $250 wouldn't separate a "superfan" from attending one single show.

Furthermore, many households spend upwards of $200 - 300 every single month for their cell phone service. And everyone seems to have those luxury items. But, somehow, a one time event for $100 - $250 is too much. Go figure.

I'm assuming these same people haven't been to a sporting event lately or taken the family on a night out to dinner and a movie. Everything is expensive nowadays.

It's not whining and crying to comment that the tickets are unaffordable for everyone, because they are. Being a "superfan" has nothing to do with finances in the real world, and no, some of us actually can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars or go into debt for this band. It's called being an adult and looking realistically at your budget. And paying $70 or $100 for a ticket where the band is so far away that you only see them on the screens is pointless. If it's up close at the Wiltern or something it's one thing, but why the hell even bother if you can't actually see the band without binoculars?

Cell phones are necessities, not luxuries, because they have replaced landlines, and if someone's paying $200/month for one, they're an idiot. You can get unlimited service in most places for $50 or less. And for what it's worth, you can get a baseball ticket in most major MLB market cities for under $15 and basketball tickets for under $20. Hell, you can get a limited season pass to the MLB team in my city for under $100. Movies are $15 or under but most people don't even bother with that. So no, everything is NOT this expensive and a lot of tours keep their prices way less than this.

Edited by stella

My biggest (most expensive ones actually and excluding Rock im Park, Exit and Sziget festivals) concerts last year were concerts of David Gilmour (100€), Foo Fighters (60€), Judas Priest (40€) and Kasabian (30€). Total cost for those concerts was 230€ (260$) and all of them were the best available tickets (after VIP) except for the Foo Fighters. 

I saw a fucking member of Pink Floyd for 100€ from the 7th row in an ancient roman theater. 

I like G'n'R as much as any of you but I would take those 4 concerts instead of G'n'R anytime.

My point is, it's overpriced. If they did arena tour with those prices they would all sell out but I'm not sure about this.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

My biggest (most expensive ones actually and excluding Rock im Park, Exit and Sziget festivals) concerts last year were concerts of David Gilmour (100€), Foo Fighters (60€), Judas Priest (40€) and Kasabian (30€). Total cost for those concerts was 230€ (260$) and all of them were the best available tickets (after VIP) except for the Foo Fighters. 

I saw a fucking member of Pink Floyd for 100€ from the 7th row in an ancient roman theater. 

I like G'n'R as much as any of you but I would take those 4 concerts instead of G'n'R anytime.

My point is, it's overpriced. If they did arena tour with those prices they would all sell out but I'm not sure about this.

I'm really on the fence about it myself as well.  We'll know for sure in a couple days, but I'm very curious. 

On 4/5/2016 at 10:05 AM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I wondered how the ticket sales would be too since most of the stadiums hold about 100,000 people. but then again I don't think the back of the stage tickets would be sold to the public.

I would think GNR is guaranteed the shows no matter how many tickets they sell.

I just hope it's not a lot of trouble to get tickets on Friday.

Ticketmaster and live nation have been having weird difficulties lately with trying to get tickets.

Most stadiums don't hold 100 thousand people. In fact very few do. Average size is probably more like 75 000. U2 holds the record for attendance for a show by single artist  in an actual venue in the United States when they played the Rose Bowl in 2009.  97,014  people were at that show and they played in the round, selling tickets all around the venue. GnR likely won't do that. I'd guess GnR won't have many shows with over 75 000 seats available if any, let alone sell that many tickets for singel shows. 

I'm curious about the prices in Europe. GA for 250? That's too much...The most I spent in Germany was 100€ für AC/DC. GA Pit, the whole floor was GA, I'm usually right in the front. I expect 80-100€ the most they can charge over here and I'm not even sure if they can fill a stadium, for the last show in 2012 hundreds if not thousands of tickets went for like 20€ on ebay...

I'm not saying you shouldn't go, but at that prices I'd have to think twice. Also I'm only comfortable with being at the front, I want to see the band, look them in the eyes, like to see Slash soloing right in front of me and not on the screens. GnR in Vienna 2010 was fun, 60€ GA, was at the front 1st/2nd row and moved around depending on which member I wanted to see up close :D

5 hours ago, thunderram said:

Furthermore, many households spend upwards of $200 - 300 every single month for their cell phone service. And everyone seems to have those luxury items. But, somehow, a one time event for $100 - $250 is too much. Go figure.

Who the fuck pays that kind of money for their phone? Only a  dipshit would pay that much. I pay $45/month and have unlimited incoming and outgoing texting and calling anywhere in North America. You kids and your fancy "smart phones". Can't say the people who own them are all that smart if the're paying between $200-$300 a month for one. That's nearly a monthly car payment. 

This is a bold move indeed, booking stadia and it could embarrassingly backfire. I cannot see that tour being an one-hundred percent sell out. I simply cannot see it, especially that they seem to be doing the usual Area 51 Guns N' Roses shite; if they got out a bit and did some television appearances that would help - a few billboards is not exactly the height of promotion.

The Stones were not even selling out stadia, albeit with absurd pricing!! It would have been the prudent policy to play arenas and add extra dates. And Reunion tours? Kiss were not selling out some venues in 1996 and that is Kiss for the first time in make-up and America is mad about Kiss!

13 hours ago, thunderram said:

This whining and crying about ticket prices baffles me -- especially from those that keep referring to themselves as superfans. $250 wouldn't separate a "superfan" from attending one single show.

I'm assuming these same people haven't been to a sporting event lately or taken the family on a night out to dinner and a movie. Everything is expensive nowadays.

Hmm, it is just a simple case of me spending the money on something else (I buy a lot of sports tickets and see other acts - I'm seeing Neil Young this summer). And being at the back of a stadium is very off-putting.

I guess I'm not a ''superfan'' then!

And you need to look into changing your phone supplier as you are being ripped off.

Imagine if the band played on a chat show: two songs and a little interview. That could be 20% more sales!! The logical thinking behind this band perplexes me (we know Slash and Duff would be up for that but it is Axl and his Brazilian clan who like the area 51 shite).

Straight out: this is a cash-in reunion tour.  Live Nation is looking to sell as many tickets as possible with as few dates/travel expense.  Arena shows at these prices would be easier sells but you'd likely need to add dates/markets to make the ticket count up. Unfortunately, the ticket prices are inflated considering the distance to stage in a stadium.  Nearly $200 for the back half of the lower bowl?  I doubt the production is going to be at a Stones or U2 level.  People I know who'd like to go are balking at paying $100+ to stare at a screen and see matchstick-sized GNR on the stage.  The band will still knock it out in the bigger cities, but you could see papering in the nosebleeds and possibly the $285 seats in the lower-tier markets.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hollywood Zombie said:

Nowhere does it say philly is almost sold out. 

If Ticketmaster made as many Citi pre-sale tickets available there as the other shows, it looks like Philly will sell out shortly after the general sale starts tomorrow.

There's very few pre-sale tickets available in Philly now compared to some of the other venues.

41 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is a bold move indeed, booking stadia and it could embarrassingly backfire. I cannot see that tour being an one-hundred percent sell out. I simply cannot see it, especially that they seem to be doing the usual Area 51 Guns N' Roses shite; if they got out a bit and did some television appearances that would help - a few billboards is not exactly the height of promotion.

A few billboards? They seemed to be all over the place..

In addition there has been full-on TV and radio commercials.

We will probably see some kind of TV appearances from the band, although I'm not sure they're contractually obliged to do those. It's in their best interest though, if the sales are a bit slow after tomorrow. I guess they are waiting to see what happens before they decide on that.

9 hours ago, Bono said:

Most stadiums don't hold 100 thousand people. In fact very few do. Average size is probably more like 75 000. U2 holds the record for attendance for a show by single artist  in an actual venue in the United States when they played the Rose Bowl in 2009.  97,014  people were at that show and they played in the round, selling tickets all around the venue. GnR likely won't do that. I'd guess GnR won't have many shows with over 75 000 seats available if any, let alone sell that many tickets for singel shows. 

Using the 2015 acdc tour for reference (they hit several of the same stadiums), heres what you might expect for some of the shows as far as capacity. Obviously it depends on the layout of the stage which impacts how many sections can be sold as well as the amount of space on the floor, but the difference wont be huge.

Metlife - 50,000

Ford Field - 43,000

AT&T Park - 41,167

The 90,000+ ticket venues tend to be in Europe/South America moreso than the US.

I would be suprised if Gnr doesnt sell out (or come close) most of their dates - regardless of the ticket price.

1 minute ago, brownstone91 said:

Ticketmaster had the charts up yesterday, took them down today. There were less than 1,000 tickets remaining

Ticketmaster has deactivated the interactive seat selection for some of the venues now because of high traffic.

47 minutes ago, Spirit said:

A few billboards? They seemed to be all over the place..

In addition there has been full-on TV and radio commercials.

We will probably see some kind of TV appearances from the band, although I'm not sure they're contractually obliged to do those. It's in their best interest though, if the sales are a bit slow after tomorrow. I guess they are waiting to see what happens before they decide on that.

Meaningful advertising such as magazine interviews and television appearances is what I am referring to. As I said, a good performance on a chat show could increase ticket sales by 10-20%.

For the price they are charging, the shows will be full of 'prawn sandwich brigade', casuals who are there to say Axl and Slash play September Rain. The real fans will be priced out, or stuck in the back, economy class! Reading the VIP information to be honest makes me sick.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Meaningful advertising such as magazine interviews and television appearances is what I am referring to. As I said, a good performance on a chat show could increase ticket sales by 10-20%.

I don't disagree with that.

I think they are awaiting the first sales reports first. Let's say all shows sell out during the weekend, I don't think they'll bother with television appearances. Sucks for us, but most of the band will probably be relieved.

6 minutes ago, brownstone91 said:

Did you see the Ticketmaster seating charts yesterday?

We're not 100% sure how many pre-sale tickets were made available to this particular venue in the first place.

Seems to differ a bit from city to city.