Richard has been in GNR for 16 years quote

I disagree, Fortus is much more technical and schooled in music theory than past players like Izzy or Gilby...not saying that makes him better for the band, it's just a fact. I don't remember Izzy or Gilby doing much guitar solo duty live...not sure about recordings.

Edited by BlackHoleGravity

2 minutes ago, BlackHoleGravity said:

I disagree, Fortus is much more technical and schooled in music theory than past players like Izzy or Gilby...not saying that makes him better for the band, it's just a fact. I don't remember Izzy or Gilby doing much guitar solo duty live...not sure about recordings. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXuDS5t935g

By the time GN'R got bloated and into prolonged solo spot territory Izzy was already gone...But live if you listen to bootlegs from 88 Slash and Izzy trade leads, and like I said, listen to the multi tracks...Both were lead and rhythm players. Slash was "the" lead player in the sense that he was more easily recognizable and "sellable" in that role. But Slash and Izzy were equally lead and rhythm on AFD at least.

5 minutes ago, BlackHoleGravity said:

Well, I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that Slash would be more in his comfort zone with a more dedicated rhythm player partner, than a monster player like Fortus.

The dynamics are definitely off

25 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

By the time GN'R got bloated and into prolonged solo spot territory Izzy was already gone...But live if you listen to bootlegs from 88 Slash and Izzy trade leads, and like I said, listen to the multi tracks...Both were lead and rhythm players. Slash was "the" lead player in the sense that he was more easily recognizable and "sellable" in that role. But Slash and Izzy were equally lead and rhythm on AFD at least.

No, if you check the info on that video, it says those are Izzy's parts except for the solos that are played by Slash. As far as I know, Izzy plays that little lead at the end of the intro (in fact, that's barely audible in the Illusions tour as Izzy and then Gilby had almost no volume at all) but that's it. He played two solos on Appetite For Destruction, the one on Think About You and the first part of Nightrain's first solo.

Edited by BorderlineCrazy

56 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

This isolated track is the perfect example of why Izzy was so  irreplaceable. His unique, untrained, rough and ragged style combined with Slash's more traditional approach was magic.

• Like 2

Mmmm the thing is darling that sadly the 2000-2014 time of Guns N' Roses were not just erased from history. Axl did play those years and GN'R did exist whether you like it or not, you see dear it's not your call and it never was nor it ever will be. To those complaining about the timeline yes Richard did play his first show in 2002 but he first meet Axl in 2000 when he was auditioning for the Lead guitar spot that Buckethead got and probably got involved since then seeing that Paul Huge was always considered a temporary member until Axl found someone else A.K.A Richard. Let me add that as much as this must be killing you Slash and Duff do seem to have joined the 2014 lineup, we know that Bumble&Ashba quited and that Tommy just left after the last show so it doesn't even seem like Axl got rid of anybody in order for this to happen.(other than Pitman whom was involved at least until a few moths ago) 

One last thing yes it's true that they wouldn't be playing stadiums without Slash right now but you're forgetting that if they weren't here Slash and Duff would still be playing smaller markets than those that GN'R would if they weren't around so don't try to make it as if they were doing Axl any favors.

We don't know the exact date he started working with GN'R if Axl says 16 years then it's 16 years.

Also there could be many reasons he brings it up we could remember Pitmans famous comments or infamous about not recognizing the ones who have been there for years. Perhaps it's his way of doing that.

Or perhaps it's in response to fans forums who think one should just let go of a guy who's hung with him that long for Izzy who was very fickle in the past.

They do read the forums as evidenced when he jumped online years ago and answered some questions and or had words with a fan.

I don't see it as disrespect to Slash or Duff.

I'm a huge fan of Izzy and hope he plays some part in this eventually but I also wouldn't expect Axl to push aside those who have been there for him and in the band all these years. 

Edited by BOSSY78
Putman

4 hours ago, AlterL said:

Mmmm the thing is darling that sadly the 2000-2014 time of Guns N' Roses were not just erased from history. Axl did play those years and GN'R did exist whether you like it or not, you see dear it's not your call and it never was nor it ever will be. To those complaining about the timeline yes Richard did play his first show in 2002 but he first meet Axl in 2000 when he was auditioning for the Lead guitar spot that Buckethead got and probably got involved since then seeing that Paul Huge was always considered a temporary member until Axl found someone else A.K.A Richard. Let me add that as much as this must be killing you Slash and Duff do seem to have joined the 2014 lineup, we know that Bumble&Ashba quited and that Tommy just left after the last show so it doesn't even seem like Axl got rid of anybody in order for this to happen.(other than Pitman whom was involved at least until a few moths ago) 

One last thing yes it's true that they wouldn't be playing stadiums without Slash right now but you're forgetting that if they weren't here Slash and Duff would still be playing smaller markets than those that GN'R would if they weren't around so don't try to make it as if they were doing Axl any favors.

mmmm......see dear of course it was Axls call what/who is GNR and what/who isnt. Guess what: it was also markets call who decided that it wasnt GNR per se. Wow he did a great job. Hence playing AFD in its fullest in 2002 (way to look forward at that time), playing at weddings(talking about low point) etc.. Dont really have time to add all of the great things that happened  to the band. 

And FYI Slash with its MYLES band played the same sized arenas as so called GNR.

And by the way Slash and Duff together with Axl have, hope you are familiar with the term, PARTNERSHIP. In writing that is. You know what goes with it dont you ?

Now go and listen to that grat 2012 shows. I hear the vibe is great.

What I find amusing is people who deliberately refuse to accept reality and wear that delusion as some badge of honor, not feeling thes lightest embarassed about admitting it. If I were the one who refused to accept the fact that the band that Axl has been touring with has in fact been Guns N' Roses, which is completely uncontested, then I would be a bit ashamed about trying to redefine reality to suit my personal feelings and abslutely not proudly express that delusion with anything resembling pride. What's next? Should I go about proudly claiming Manchester United isn't Manchester United anymore because I personally dislike how the team is performing? Haha, it is ridiculous.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ksks12 said:

It's total inappropriate via Slash and Duff.

If Axl wants to continue to praise 2000-2014 period he should call his hired hands back (or hire new ones) and book a tour where the whole band got 350.000 usd.

This semi reunion would  open anyone's eyes, yet he still lives in some kind of parallel universe.

Well guess what Axl, as you probably guessed, it doesn't and the majority of the world didn't care about your side project (including fortus) that is why it still doesn't care if someone played with you inthis project for 16 years. It just reminds everyone how much time you have wasted claiming you owned sth. The rest of the world clearly didn't think it belong solely to you.

Piss right off. You think it's inappropriate to show appreciation to someone who's stuck around for 16yrs? It's not a slight towards Duff and Slash it's to say "this guy had been with me for a long time and I don't want his name getting totally lost in the shuffle" what is wrong with that! 

I knew when he said that during Kohd that someone's feathers would be ruffled, but it's just like the UYI tour when he introduced Matt and said "and yes! He is a full member of the band" except Matt had one year in the band...not 16.

I chalk this bull up to double standards. 

Also, as if Duff or Slash give two fucks if Axl gives a shout out to Richard! I'm sure they like the guy, and probably think it's a reasonable thing for him to be acknowledged especially considering that he isn't promoted anywhere else in gnr promo for the shows and his tenure in the band exceeds both of their own (NOT saying he's of equal importance to gnr history or that he deserves to have his face in the promo... Although, it would have been cool if they had all the current members on that recent cross and skull concert poster).

8 hours ago, BlackHoleGravity said:

Well, I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that Slash would be more in his comfort zone with a more dedicated rhythm player partner, than a monster player like Fortus.

Yep, Slash should only play with players that are below his standard... We wouldn't want him out of his comfort zone:facepalm:

Every musician knows that It takes playing with better or similarly talented musicians to put some fire under your ass, otherwise you get complacent and play the same God damn thing night in, night out! 

Richard does a fine job, and will probably spur Slash on as things progress.

I don't know why it is so hard for some people to understand that regardless of what the actual name was the band that existed between 1996 and 2016 was NOT Guns N'Roses by means of what GNR really represents in terms of the compilation of musical talents involved that created the band, the band's entire music catalogue, their fame, the famous quality of performance etc.

The 1996-2016 bad was Axl's band or Nu GNR, one may like it or not, one may consider it great, one may even think it better than the original if they're crazy enough, but the FACT IS it had NOTHING in common with the band we knew from 1986-1993, period. And in a way even they admit it by returning to the old logo and old graphics of the band. There's a clear line made here between the old-real GNR and the Axl's solo GN'R in the logo change.

I can see that Axl desperately wants to stick to the idea that he saved GNR and thanks to his efforts it exists and that he wants CD to be included as the proper GNR album and obviously Slash and Duff compromised on this but nevertheless saying Fortus is a member of GNR for 16 years and sort of juxtaposing it with Slash and Duff's ten years only is pretty much out of place here. Unless he added that Mr McKagan and Mr Slash have been in the band for 10 years but they created all the music that made it famous and worked out the value of its name while Mr Fortus just played somebody eles's guitar parts for 16 years.

When he only mentions Fortus's 16 years in GNR and does it in the presence of Slash and Duff who we know spent less time in that band it can be interpeted as undermining their meaning and position in the organization regardless of whether it is intended or not. He could just shut up about such controversial things right here and right now, had he any tact. If he want's to appreciate Richard, he can do it in miliion other ways.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Asia said:

I don't know why it is so hard for some people to understand that regardless of what the actual name was the band that existed between 1996 and 2016 was NOT Guns N'Roses by means of what GNR really represents in terms of the compilation of musical talents involved that created the band, the band's entire music catalogue, their fame, the famous quality of performance etc.

The 1996-2016 bad was Axl's band or Nu GNR, one may like it or not, one may consider it great, one may even think it better than the original if they're crazy enough, but the FACT IS it had NOTHING in common with the band we knew from 1986-1993, period. And in a way even they admit it by returning to the old logo and old graphics of the band. There's a clear line made here between the old-real GNR and the Axl's solo GN'R in the logo change.

I can see that Axl desperately wants to stick to the idea that he saved GNR and thanks to his efforts it exists and that he wants CD to be included as the proper GNR album and obviously Slash and Duff compromised on this but nevertheless saying Fortus is a member of GNR for 16 years and sort of juxtaposing it with Slash and Duff's ten years only is pretty much out of place here. Unless he added that Mr McKagan and Mr Slash have been in the band for 10 years but they created all the music that made it famous and worked out the value of its name while Mr Fortus just played somebody eles's guitar parts for 16 years.

When he only mentions Fortus's 16 years in GNR and does it in the presence of Slash and Duff who we know spent less time in that band it can be interpeted as undermining their meaning and position in the organization regardless of whether it is intended or not. He could just shut up about such controversial things right here and right now, had he any tact. If he want's to appreciate Richard, he can do it in miliion other ways.

This

30 minutes ago, Asia said:

What YOU (or anyone else) feel about something's performance or representation is completely irrelevant and doesn't give you the right to rename it. Just like you cannot rename USA simply because you don't like its changes in foreign policies over the last 40 years. This is just people going, "Oh no, I don't like what has happened to my band! And now I feel my memories of what once was is tarnished so to escape this uncomfortable situation I will simply behave as if it is something else. There, problem solved!". It 's completely delusional and hilarious at that.

I don't like Guns in 2001-2016 as much as I liked Guns in 86-91. I handle it. I cope with it. I simply say things like, "I preferred Guns back in the 80s", or "I don't like the recent lineups", or "I don't like what has happened to GN'R". I will NOT commit mental suicide by claiming a rock band isn't that rock band anymore simply because I happened to not like what is happening to it :D

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Axl also called Paul Huge "the original guitarist" at Rock in Rio III - I think Axl's just insecure about Izzy not being there

simply because Paul Huge indeed WAS "the original guitarist" - not of GNR, but of AXL, the very first incarnation of the band in 1976-1979 in Lafayette.

the lineup was Axl (vocals), Izzy (drums), Paul Huge (guitar), Dave Lank (bass, years later for example co-wrote Don't Damn Me) and Mike Hammernik (rhytm guitar, later with Axl in LA in Rapidfire).

so... Axl wasn't joking or misleading at all ;)

(and about Richard - he's around for more than 16 years... he actually auditioned for GNR after Robin Finck's contract expired in 1999, but when he actually arrived to audition, Axl had already met Buckethead and was no longer interested in Richard, so Richard joined GNR only 2 years later, when Paul Huge decided to leave. interesting facts, I think :) )

Edited by zombux
added snippet about Richard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yep, Slash should only play with players that are below his standard... We wouldn't want him out of his comfort zone:facepalm:

Every musician knows that It takes playing with better or similarly talented musicians to put some fire under your ass, otherwise you get complacent and play the same God damn thing night in, night out! 

Richard does a fine job, and will probably spur Slash on as things progress.

I never said Slash shouldn't play with Fortus, I said that I feel that it takes him out of his comfort zone, which has rarely, if ever happened before outside of a one off guest appearance situations. I like Fortus, and think he is a great player...I also think that Slash and Fortus sound great together. I just hope the added pressure of playing with a guy like Fortus doesn't cause problems for Slash down the road...off handed comments from Axl probably won't help matters much.

20 hours ago, RussTCB said:

To those acting as if Slash & Duff are lucky to be back and that Axl did them a favor, I couldn't disagree more. Before the hall of fame alumni returned, Axl's GNR was basically reduced to a Vegas tribute act and club show (at least here in the states). The new GNR were commonly referred to as a joke by many fans, radio stations, and social media. No one even knew who the band consisted of, other than an aging Axl who could no longer sing and a group of employees that he had on salary. Not necessarily saying that this was my opinion, but it was a very common opinion of the general public. 

Honestly, I think it came down to this. Axl never had any intention of recording with the Ashba, BBF, Tommy lineup, and he knew that he would be playing more US clubs, if he were to attempt to book another tour. He had no other options other than to concede that he needed the other "core 2" and that's why he agreed to reunite and equally split touring royalties with the other alumni. Slash was a household name, a guitar hero, who could jam with anyone. Duff's wealth management firm coupled with his Loaded touring ensured him a financially secure future. But Axl, he didn't do much of anything over the past 2 decades, other than cover the hits that both he and the alumni created, and obviously there was Chinese, an album quickly forgotten by most.

Regardless of what anyone hasn't officially confirmed, this is a reunion tour (of sorts) and Axl knows this. He needed this just as much, if not more, than the alumni that he agreed to allow back - despite him insisting that he would never do so. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that he finally saw the light because I hadn't been excited by anything GNR-related post Slash's departure in '96. 

(edit) Also, sorry. I'm not trying to quote anyone. Not sure how to clear that.

Edited by Gun Shy Assassin
  • Like 3

FORTUS brings Guns N' Roses to the 21st Century.

He is the present and futur of this band.

The Slash/Fortus combo is sensational and it sounds like Guns N' Roses "updated" for the 21st Century.

FORTUS should be part of the Partnership and should be marketted as hell : he does have EVERYTHING to be the Guitar Hero of the current and next generation. 

Great playing, great sound, great stage presence (I've never seen such a spectacular guitar player onstage, this guy is most certainely in the TOP 3 players in the world), great look, he's got the "Classic Rock" vibe and he is humble.

Go listen to the Dead Daisies second album "Revolucion"... FORTUS is everywhere and his licks, riffs, solos, rythms and leads are fantastic.

let's get FORTUS in the partnership! :headbang:

Edited by Caraibes